heRO-Server Forum
Situation Update (from Pandora) - Printable Version

+- heRO-Server Forum (https://www.pandoraonline.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Game Related (https://www.pandoraonline.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.pandoraonline.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Situation Update (from Pandora) (/showthread.php?tid=9058)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE:??Situation Update (from Pandora) - GM-Ayu - 02-22-2009

Arie Wrote:Its not illegal to host this server as its not a source of income.therefore it does not violate any laws because you arent making money off someone elses product. *puts on lawyer hat and suitcase*

Doesn't work that way.

Reverse engineering is legal in USA but not legal in Canada Sweat
eA is a reverse engineering of gravity's Ragnarok Online product. If you're being technical, this server needs to move to the US to be legal. ._.;

(note: media shifting itself is in a limbo too thanks to Mr. Harper x_X so it's even more iffy)

REGARDLESS

We've contacted the ISP of the attacker long ago. There's just no news about the situation at all after we contacted them.

RE: Situation Update (from Pandora) - Général_Argos - 02-22-2009

No its not legal its violate the gravity's EULA.

RE: Situation Update (from Pandora) - Arie - 02-22-2009

o lol i live in the US so ya....xD

RE: Situation Update (from Pandora) - teOx - 02-22-2009

"the legality is based on your country's laws. The US & Canada don't have laws against reverse engineering or emulation as far as I know, so running the emulator is perfectly fine. However, the hexed executable breaks their EULA, and it's probably illegal. The general consensus seems to be that eAthena is legal, but the hexed executables aren't."

"no matter what you do if people actually play on your private server then illegal action is involved. "

RE: Situation Update (from Pandora) - Général_Argos - 02-22-2009

yea, cool, so i was not wrong about the eula :]

Anyway I guess there are still international copyrights laws broken about all the sprites in the game. It's just like one can't download all the stuff of a pron site and open another one with the same content.

RE: Situation Update (from Pandora) - GM-Ayu - 02-22-2009

Canada doesn't allow reversed engineering except for 'research purposes' and a few other not very common applications, so don't really need to analyze anything beyond eA to say any pserver is already illegal.

And this thread isn't talking about legality issues... as mentioned many times already, we've already contacted the attacker's ISP. They just didn't reply with anything at all, and that's really all you can do.

Most of you already know from first announcement, server is back up again for now, but stability is not necessarily guaranteed. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for heRO tomorrow with the hoster to install whatever needs installing.

RE: Situation Update (from Pandora) - Aaronock - 02-22-2009

I think everyone just wants the server to be working as normal xP
Personally didn't notice much since I was spending time with bf this weekend because it was his b-day ^.^

RE: Situation Update (from Pandora) - GM-Aki - 02-23-2009

The server has been shut down to be protected from the You Know What Icon_smile

This maintenance will last a minimum of 1 hour (by the info shared by the hoster) meaning... Icon_eek a minimum of 1 hour.

As soon as we get news, we will of course share it with you.

Thank you for your understanding and we'll keep you posted.

RE: Situation Update (from Pandora) - Jaymyster - 02-23-2009

you know, its better not to give us an exact time like 1 hour cause we all know every freakin person heres gonna come back in one exact hour from when you posted that and say, "WTF WHYZNT DEH SERVUR UP??!!?"

60-75 minutes would have been better Icon_smile

RE: Situation Update (from Pandora) - Fruityla - 02-23-2009

She said "a minimum of" =O That's not exact.