heRO-Server Forum
@main - Printable Version

+- heRO-Server Forum (https://www.pandoraonline.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Game Related (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Suggestions/Questions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: @main (/showthread.php?tid=7768)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: @main - Aaronock - 11-01-2008 10:37 AM

I normally wouldn't...but I'm going to quote myself on this topic since it got pushed down by a bunch more CIRCULAR ARGUEMENTS YAY!

Aaronock Wrote:SUMMARY OF THE TOPIC:
1. Main is awesome when used correctly.
  • a. Using @Main to B/S/T/A is good
  • b. Using @Main to announce to players events.
  • c. Using @Main to ask a question
  • d. Using @Main to say hello to the server

2. Main is NOT awesome when used incorrectly.
  • a. Using @Main to tell of personal problems
  • b. Using @Main to announce every tiny detail of your work in game or out
  • c. Using @Main as a Guild Chat or Party Chat
  • d. Using @Main to personally chat with others.

And lastly, nobody wants us to RP on main channel also, this falls under the personal chatting with others of incorrect usage of main! And yes, I love to RP, but even I know how to get it moved off of there ;D

And...one final suggestion. If you are gunna talk so much in game, get the MSN/AIM's of your friends, play in window mode of RO and make a chatroom there from the outside messaging program. You can also always use voice chats like Ventrillo or Skype too, just share the information to those who need it <3.

RE: @main - GM-Ayu - 11-01-2008 12:56 PM

I don't exactly want to lock topics... I'll pretend to be optimistic. Both sides are free to disagree with each other, but less of those smart mockery comments against the other side for everyone please.

The general complaint is if Main chat is used to host conversation by some group of people in which we say that a party chat or guild chat (or chat outside of RO such as vent, MSN, AIM, etc) are more fitting. The way *I* see it is that if it's not your usual questions, B/S/T/A/PC, "PVP", new member intro, events/announcements, and just a casual chat, then that casual chat better be fitting for *anyone in the server* to join instead of isolating main only for the use of one particular group.

Pretend that Main is exactly like a guild chat, only that everyone in the entire server belongs to the guild. If you start a casual chat, then it should be general enough so anyone who takes interest in the topic at hand can jump in. That's sort of the motto I use when I'm online. I guide or redirect @Main topics so that the topic for a casual chat is general, and almost all players of the server can join in at once. I have nothing against using @Main to talk about things outside of RO as not everyone can withstand 'if you're in RO, do nothing else but RO related things.' But, it better be an open topic suitable for *everyone* in the server to join in.

///

This applies to RP as well. While we lack the technical expertise to start separate channels, RP sort of needs the necessary evil to start on RP first, which means that the topic at Main would be isolated for RPers only. However, after the RP-related announcements, *generally* GM hosted RP related activities take place in a certain location to gather up for whatever the event is first. By that time, those interested in RPing should head to that designated location and RP using public chat instead of Main.

So for RP, while it's a necessary evil to kidnap Main for a short period of time to tell everyone to gather, after that RP should quickly try to leave Main and keep it to public chat again.

///

Moderating Main is *not* impossible for GM. The only thing is that even GMs can't be online 24/7. All of the quoted problems with Main always takes place when GMs are not online.

RE: @main - Goop2 - 11-01-2008 04:22 PM

My suggestion to you is this;
@18
Problem solved.

...for the most part =o

RE: @main - Avogadro - 11-07-2008 08:06 AM

This argument will never be resolved, it's the nature of @main, but lately it has to be said: I am completely in favour of turning @main off for everyone, forever. Yes, it inconveniences the vocal few, but let me try to put some arguments across.

If you want to learn something, go to Pront and ask in all chat. Half the people who would answer are there anyway.

If you want to sell something, make a merch alt and sell it in Pront. 90% of the merchants are there anyway. It takes roughly 12 minutes to make a basic vend slave. This will likely take you less time than selling it on @main and you will get more money for it, not to mention having a vend slave.

If you want to buy something, go to Pront. 90% of the merchants are there anyway. Or go on the forums, where better deals are to be found anyway.

If you want a party, talk to the people sitting in Pront. They should go do something anyway.

There is no situation where something can not be done in all chat in pront just as effectively as in @main. And if you want to talk to your friends, start a ventrilo server. It is not hard, and the worst case scenario is that you learn something. And you stave off RSI for a while from all the typing you'll save.

But there is a fininte amount of time that I need to log in, get sorted at my desk, and hit Alt+1 for @main off. I hotkey it, because it's important. And even then, I normally end up reading something completely idiotic and uninformed on main. I rarely log in and see "main: can someone help me with X, please" but have all too often seen "main: two unrelated things! It's a (political party/social group/economic system you hate for no informed reason) conspiracy!" or something otherwise so incredibly ignorant that it hurts me to think this is the generation that I will have to hire/teach in the forseeable future. I suppose it's easy enough to turn @main off, but think that these people are the first impression newcomers to the server see. If I was a newcomer to the server, potentially with a semi-large group of people who were looking for a new home, and I logged in for the first time and saw the idiotic garbage that I saw last night, I would have logged out before I hit the end of the novice grounds and told my friends right away "Don't bother going to HeRO, the community is stupider than a brain-damaged bag of sand. Let's go elsewhere". Thankfully, the person who found HeRO for us did not see this, and a large number of us (tired of idiots on a previous server) came here where we came to really enjoy it. I would not doubt, however, that we have lost people explicitly from them getting tired of the blanket stupidity factor.

As has been discussed often in other forms, and quoted by a better orator than I: "I sucked it up because that's what you do when you're a grownup playing with kids" but maybe if we want a relatively mature community who helps people out and wants to make this place better, it might be an idea to look at the image that is projected by default to newcomers.

@main attracts these people because it's an instant audience, and they want to be noticed. And even though a GM can moderate, they can't always be around. Spammers, trolls, emo arguments: all go away a lot faster when there's no instant audience.

And if we can't kill it, at least consider:

Main should not be a place for political discussions, because you are going to irritate someone who likely knows far more than you do about the subject. Ditto for religion. These are things that are personal for a reason, because in the grown-up world people are not as nice as on the internet. The worst thing that can happen here is someone gets angry at you and a flamewar starts. If you do that in some places you will be beaten and/or killed for saying the wrong thing, despite what you might think is right. I live near one of those places, and you'd be surprised where that is (hint, it's not the middle east).

Ever see the threads making fun of people on 4chan? Ever hear about the people who got fired from their job for a stupid picture on facebook? This happens when you treat the internet as your own personal attention factory. Want to bet that I'll be screening every single one of my job applicants on facebook? Heck yes. Don't like it? Don't post incriminating, personal garbage on the internet. Unfair or not, it happens.

Just because it's a game doesn't mean that people don't take it seriously. People take strange things seriously. Think of this as practise for dealing with people in the real world. People who can fire you. People who can fail you. People who will have direct say in if you get a job. People who you might have to get a job reference from some day to get another job. If you screw that up, life can suck a lot more. Practise early.

Just because many people will generally give a bit of leeway when dealing with kids does not mean it's going to last. If you want to get some lulz, that's fine. But sometimes, if you make adult comments, you'll get treated like an adult. And from what I've seen, the world is going to eat you alive. Especially you, the person who I talked to yesterday. Your life is going to suck when you grow up and can't get over all this immature, uninformed hate.

@main argument off.

RE: @main - Sakurato - 11-07-2008 11:24 AM

Umm, I don't know if this has been suggested why not just have

@MainTrade ( for buying and selling)
@MainGeneral (for questions and spam D<!)
@MainRP (for role play)
Keep chat in the correct channels..and you don't have problems.

>_> <_< >_> have them all off by default...or am I missing something completely...?

RE:??@main - GM-Ayu - 11-07-2008 11:54 AM

Sakurato Wrote:Umm, I don't know if this has been suggested why not just have

@MainTrade ( for buying and selling)
@MainGeneral (for questions and spam D<!)
@MainRP (for role play)
Keep chat in the correct channels..and you don't have problems.

>_> <_< >_> have them all off by default...or am I missing something completely...?

Having different channels have always been "asked" for in 2 years or even more, but no one knows how to change the client to accept multiple main chat heh... and of course, how multiple mains will handle battle log and etc etc. But hey, if you make it, we'll be *very* glad to use it.

RE:??@main - Général_Argos - 11-07-2008 12:14 PM

GM-Ayu Wrote:Moderating Main is *not* impossible for GM. The only thing is that even GMs can't be online 24/7. All of the quoted problems with Main always takes place when GMs are not online.

Why not making "sub" gms, with the purpose to moderate the main chat. Those sub-gms would be trusted players with good background of respect of the rules that would 'apply' for that 'job'.

RE: @main - Avogadro - 11-07-2008 12:32 PM

G?n?ral_Argos Wrote:Why not making "sub" gms, with the purpose to moderate the main chat. Those sub-gms would be trusted players with good background of respect of the rules that would 'apply' for that 'job'.

If it cuts down on the trolls, heck yes.

RE: @main - Général_Argos - 11-07-2008 12:49 PM

Of course the people applying for that job would also need to be very active on the server, and they would need to make reports on a special forum of every 'punishment' they give, with SSs (somehow like the ban and the jail list thread).

I suggest the name "MOD-TrollSlayer#", mod standing for moderator, and # for the number identifying the moderator.

Imagine a new publicity for hero server standing stand a troll-slayer featre =0 Icon_smile

RE: @main - teOx - 11-07-2008 02:44 PM

i like krim's idea

also wtf kohana @mainRP?

dont give them any more they have the roleplay tavern banish them there. thats what its for Icon_razz

best troll moderators are reformed trollers (IS FACT). i volunteer tom and myself for troll moderating