heRO-Server Forum
MKV to AVI - Printable Version

+- heRO-Server Forum (https://www.pandoraonline.net/forum)
+-- Forum: The outside world (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Animes (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: MKV to AVI (/showthread.php?tid=11003)

Pages: 1 2

MKV to AVI - Story Teller - 08-10-2009 01:51 PM

I have been searching this for as long as I can remember. But every time I find a program that changes MKV to AVI, problems come up like the video and sound doesn't go together, the video quality became pixelated or dull, and sometimes the file doesn't work.

Can anyone suggest a program I can use preferably something I can use for free? (I usually change MKV to AVI for purposes like putting it on tv using the PS3 or changing the AVI to Mpeg4 for Ipod)

Thinking

RE: MKV to AVI - Motenai_Ronin - 08-10-2009 02:20 PM

WinAVI is the best program I've found so far (albeit its not free)

Just get a player that plays MKVs fine. I like Media Player Classic myself, Video Lan Codec (Player) also works (tho its a bit more complicated)

the thing is MKV have soft - coded sub files

AVI has hard-coded sub files

You can create MKV from AVI because MKV is basically just a container for an AVI (usually a raw video file) and a subs file (of some odd extension)

RE: MKV to AVI - Story Teller - 08-10-2009 02:27 PM

I'm trying to find out how to make MKV to AVI though Icon_sad

RE: MKV to AVI - Force-Attuned Krogoth - 08-10-2009 05:34 PM

The one I'd recommend is VirtualDubMod.??It's old, but one of the best .avi handlers, and reads mkv containers.??Will not work with any mpeg derivatives, but presumably you can find something else for that.

If you already have a program you like to work with the avi, MKVExtractGUI is a simple program for unpacking mkv.

EDIT: It occurs to me you may want to check out AMVapp. It's a packet of free programs compiled by the editing crowd at animemusicvideos.org and contains a bunch of nifty widgets for reformatting video.

RE: MKV to AVI - GM-Aki - 08-10-2009 05:39 PM

I would recommend VLC media player, it pretty much reads anything. Don't know about mkv though but it's pretty good.

RE: MKV to AVI - Motenai_Ronin - 08-10-2009 05:45 PM

VLC tends to chop up MKV files a bit. I recommend Media Player Classic

It does everything out of a single executable, no futzy directory to mess with.

RE: MKV to AVI - Story Teller - 08-10-2009 06:06 PM

I use VLC and media classic player, but I wanted to know ways to convert MKV to AVI. Ok

@Krogoth: Thanks, I'll try them later when I have time. although I already tried this program before, I'll try again and maybe get a different result.

RE: MKV to AVI - TYeung - 10-26-2009 11:40 AM

You could try alltoavi. It main purpose is to convert ogm and mkv to avis I think.

RE: MKV to AVI - Galt - 10-26-2009 05:08 PM

I use Prism Video Converter... Icon_neutral

RE: MKV to AVI - Story Teller - 10-26-2009 06:22 PM

@_@ I totally forgot about this post for 3 months already.

Laugh I'll try them later, still haven't tried to do this