heRO-Server Forum
[Winners Announced!] Promo Contest! - Printable Version

+- heRO-Server Forum (https://www.pandoraonline.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Game Related (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: [Winners Announced!] Promo Contest! (/showthread.php?tid=18979)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Promo Contest! - Shinibu - 07-19-2011 05:34 PM

Thats not important.

RE: Promo Contest! - ManiacManiac19 - 07-19-2011 05:42 PM

Oh I get it. You weren't even on the entry list. Cry

RE: Promo Contest! - Seth~ - 07-19-2011 05:49 PM

I didn't go though all of them but the ones in question.

Gratz to SkyStorm for 4th place.

Enki's mining/fishing pic simplistic but cute. But (the champ with the fisting towards the screen) is totally awesome and deserving of first place, the styla pic too simplistic and modern for me.

Some banners I like (small bandwidth for more videos, did view another video but wasn't that legible but okay otherwise and better than adult entertainment @ ayothaya):

Onix, Chimuts, Kisame. Your art work & banners is also very nice.

@ Shinbu/DoE or whatever. For those that didn't see it. A video of RO style adult entertainment. Best way to degrade the image of the server is with that advert. Rather play duke nukem dude. It might be more appropriate.??

Edited on account of Aarny's complaint.??

RE: Promo Contest! - ABlueJelly - 07-19-2011 05:57 PM

I'm gonna be a good boy and do the on-topic stuff first. Evil
Warning, this is another essay-length post. THE THEME IS THAT I LIEK MUDKIPZ. Aherm.

I dislike that they were all grouped together. I'm looking for something different in loading screens than I am in banners and in videos. A suggestion for next time is to not pit apples against oranges against cherries, and divide them all up into different categories- Best in X, for example.

MY OPINIONS

Videos
Being a music person myself, I really liked Tulwar's.
Shin's was just funny as hell. Clearly not a real submission, but still entertaining- 'specially when he was trying to rotate the camera to get a different angle and the game kept telling him no XD (Dis)Honorable mention =P

Banners
Banners are the kind of thing that usually die to Ad Block Plus, so I can't honestly rate these...

Little Icon Things
Um... No real preference here except to the marin one just because I like the color blue (impossible, I know xD).

Loading Screens
My fav was Nero's. The new one he made "out of boredom", that is. The other was nice, but the newer one was better =P As to the other submissions...
The "last-minute" one felt a little rushed, and I'm just not a fan of "noisy" loading screens (since idealy you only see them for a couple of seconds). Noisy ones make you go AWWWW when it finishes loading because you weren't done reading/viewing.
As to the other ones. Meh, not bad, but I wasn't too impressed.
Underscore's actually draws a bit of a complaint. It seems to be suffering from Male Gaze, as the first thing my eyes are drawn to is her rack. Now, I like breasts as much as the next guy, but still... I don't like it when an RPG in which I play a lot of female characters is making me think BOOBIES!!!! all the time. Leads to unfortunate implications and self-squick. And unfortunately, my Brain Bleach supplier seems to have vanished.
Oh, and my Honorable Mention goes to the three comic things that Enki posted. yes, I am proud of my silenced shroom =D Thank you for asking No1

As to the GML's and Tulwar's whine and stuff...
Well...
I for one didn't know KoJ had even ONE GML until someone said it (and even then, my first hearing of it was from someone in DoE, at which point I immediately filed it as random BS (somewhat of a paraphrase/edit, but the same meaning of how I was told: "Oh *of course* you only try because you have a GM in your guild paying you for trying"... really guys? You say you want a fun, active woe, but you're actively discouraging participation. Might wanna invest in new shovels, unless you plan on taking your gunsights off your foot sometime soon. Your current ones look a little worn))... and even if I did, I wouldn't have ever said anything about it and then would have pretended they weren't GMs outside of PMs to ONLY them because, hmmm, GM Legit probably doesn't want people to know that they're a GM Legit.
BUT THAT'S JUST ME. Unfortunately some other people seem to have huge mouths they can't keep shut glares at the unknown first perpetrator of this knowledge.

But to the rankings...
You have to remember that with a performance piece, it's always a gamble as to whether the person viewing it is a music person or not. A musically inclined person will appreciate it; one that's never performed to anything other than the bathroom mirror or bar likely won't.
For Example, my highschool's concerts. Jazz Band (well, our higher one... the lower one used to be decent, but it died after my freshman year, and never acquired enough carries (as much as the director tried) to make them passable) wakes the audience up, and they enjoy what we played. Full Orchestra, while playing some neat stuff, puts them to sleep. While us musicians can appreciate stuff like a ten minute orchestral (<3333 Tchaikovsky and Shostakovitch) piece, non-musicians tend to get bored less than a minute in.
But Hey, if you'd rather blame conspiracy than the logical explanation, be my guest. If you look for something hard enough, you'll find it whether it's there or not.
Soviet Russia proved that, comrade.

RE: Promo Contest! - Seth~ - 07-19-2011 05:58 PM

Shinibu your claims for biased nature is now that i've seen your .... totally, rather stop before i am forum jailed.

*contemplates wonder whats that like*

RE: Promo Contest! - Shinibu - 07-19-2011 06:22 PM

Guess you couldnt see the sarcasm in anything I was doing.

RE: Promo Contest! - Seth~ - 07-19-2011 06:46 PM

Guess not.

Its just that your sarcasm has crossed a line, aka the outcry bubblegum thingy.

Onix had the best video (loaded it again) but it was fuzzy at places. Maybe Gm's should categorically allocate prices to each type of something to be submitted. But the winning pic for me stands imo.

RE: Promo Contest! - Aaronock - 07-19-2011 07:56 PM

Actually my favorite pieces here were from Miss Yoko herself, but Enki's is pretty good, and those little screens she made gave me a few chuckles and I can see why those would win at least.

One thing I want to point out, the final product for some of the pieces may APPEAR to have only taken maybe a little bit of time to make, but you cannot judge that for certain. Many factors go into even the smaller signatures. For example, you do not know how many font types+colorizations may have occurred to create the piece. There are other factors to consider, working in a small space means you must be very conscious of where the placement of objects are to have the composition even work and be legible.

Tul, you described your process and how long it took you, please keep in mind that others even with their smaller arts may have taken just as much time, but for different reasons.

This is a much more sensitive topic than the screenshot contest was, please try to be respectful of others work even if you do not like it. There are ways to say this without totally crushing someone's artistic desires. :O

RE: Promo Contest! - Former-GM-Circe - 07-20-2011 05:45 AM

Understand this:

All GMs have legits. It is required that they have played the server (yes, there are arguments against this. There are just as many for).
As such, there is a large chance tat many of them are in guilds.
You're accusing 3 GMs, apparently, of bias; nevermind that fact that there are another 6 GMs, with the votes of every GM being worth the same to the final result.

Bear in mind that it is a Promotion Contest, not an Amount Of Work contest. This means we look for things that capture our attention, and hold it, too. While a bunch of loading screens may or may not be less work than a video, Enki's certainly certainly capture a lot of attention. They stand out well.

You all may not agree with this, but that is your own opinion. I'm sure our preferences in colors will differ, too. Red is pretty awesome.

And that's pretty much the bottom line. We voted on what captured and engaged us, which is a case of personal opinions.

I'll also drop this thread in here, before this gets out of hand.
http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=2648

RE: Promo Contest! - GM-Pandora - 07-20-2011 09:11 AM

Just as Circe explained, we voted on what we felt promoted the server best. My number one vote went to onix' work, although I liked Enki's too, my 3rd was missyoko and 4th was for tulwar's vid.

I can only speak for myself, but who's in what guild didn't cross my mind when I made my selection, for most people I didnt know who they were in game, let alone what guild.

By the way, the winner Enki didn't even choose guild hall, in the end so much for the big conspiracy theory about it. Next time maybe try to calm down and be rational rather than escalate a mountain of assumptions.

A big THANKS to everyone who participated, we hope to attract many more players to heRO with the help you provided! We'll start using the promo material soon.