Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questing Exp
Free_Lancer Offline

Questing Exp

I've seen a few RO servers so far and most (atleast all the ones I have been do) require grinding as a method of leveling. Sure this is the traditional way of leveling and is fairly easy for players to understand but it can get fairly boring at times so why not make quests give part of the exp of the level? A few quests, not too many, some which would come with item rewards. This is a very hard thing to do, making so many quests and npcs but after thinking a while, this does prove to have its uses.

1. Questing will help the new players level so the experienced players wouldn't be too overpowering with their secret grinding spots.
2. Questing may eventually lead on to a story thing where upon doing some quests, new ones could open while others close up leading to a more "adventurous game" where the unexpected could happen.
3. The popular grinding spots wont be over populated when the server becomes popular.
4. It's different from other RO's attracting more attention.
5. It's gona be a pain in the butt to make a bot that does quests.

Questing doesn't have to be something that must be made overnight and could be done slowly from lower levels up, helping those who complain about the low rates early on in the game (or if you want to make things tougher you have some excuse to lean upon) and even new players of the game.

Some quests that I suggest would be maybe exploring quests for the new players that help them level a little and shows them around the beginning towns and dungeons and whatever new players need help on.

Another set of quests I suggest would be MVP quests. This could solve the problem of searching, waiting, and even fighting over the MVPs and the quest could take as long as you decide it should and even unrepeatable if you would want it so, and can force people to work together rather than solo as team effort weather it maybe the quest or the real fighting of the MVP. This helps because everyone can get chances to fight the MVPs because once the server gets really popular, this might result in problems as well, I personally have tryed looking for an MVP with a group of friends as a party thing for fun as it was our first attempt to take on a boss only to see it die in a few seconds never getting a chance until I become the one to kill them in a few seconds.

If this suggestion is taken into consideration then I would like to make another suggestion about strengthening some MVPs and weakening some so that bosses can apply to both the weak and the powerful though that too may be hard work fixing the drops.

This can be another thing people can look forward to doing as a form of party questing every now and then.

I know this is fairly unreasonable with the amount of quests that must be made but this is just a suggestion but I hope you look into it/think about it. =]

PS: If I said anything stupid up there, it's prolly because I'm just starting your server right now. Can't wait to play, I LOVE your elemental wings idea! and I cant wait to see what you do to even it out with the archers loss of their 4 arrow element edge over the other classes (ele wings are for attack right?... )

omg, your customs are so cool! My friend was so bragging about how this server has so many cool customs and fits my slow leveling tastes xP.
12-26-2007 01:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

RE: Questing Exp

I've read everything, I'll comment later. But the elemental wings change your armor property, not your attack one.

Meaning if you wear water wings, arrow of wind will hit you hard!! Thus its not taking anything away from archers or anyone. In pvp those wings are a desadvantage actually.

Thanks for the kind words ^_^

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
12-26-2007 01:58 AM
Rhino_Man Offline
Kickass Monk

quests already give exp. Go look at http://www.irowiki.org and peek at the rewards for some of the quests listed there. some of them give quite a lot of exp.

Hi, don't whisper me please.
12-26-2007 03:09 AM
azurerogue Offline
One Dogma: THROW AD!

I think the suggestion was to make more quests, and to make them a semi-viable alternative to leveling. Most of the iRO quests are not alternatives to leveling (a few that I haven't done might come close, but not many). It takes about 400,000,000 exp total to go from 1-99 non-trans (about three times that much once you trans). That's almost 1,600,000,000 exp needed to go from 1 Novice to 99 Trans. Quests might provide around 1-2% of that if you do them all at high levels, but I doubt it surpasses 1% by too much (I don't wanna do the math right now).

Don't get me wrong, I am well aware that it would take literally TONS of work to implement even a bunch of very simple quests to show newbies around, or to help channel exp through things other than griding - but it IS an interesting idea at the very least.

I don't see it happening, though. It would be cool, but there are so many other things Pandora has to worry about, but you never know - maybe in the future? Also, Ragnarok is very openly not a quest-based game. In fact, it is set apart from most other MMORPGs by that fact. It is also one of the only games that has such a steep exp curve in terms of leveling, making questing increasingly less viable to level and mobbing much more convenient. The amount of time spent on a quest is very hard to balance with exp as well, in my opinion.

Anyways, my whole post is fragmented and might not completely make sense - but that's me Icon_biggrin

- Albus Dumbledore 99/70 Professor - Albus DumbIedore 92/59 Professor
- AIbus Dumbledore 93/50 Wizard - AIbus DumbIedore 1/1 Novice
- Astaroth 99/70 Creator - Dawkins 99/70 Creator
- Exemplar 98/69 Paladin - Equitas 80/47 Paladin
- Mephistopheles 95/65 Lord Knight - Shogo Kawada 97/67 Stalker
12-26-2007 03:45 AM
Free_Lancer Offline

lol alrite, just throwing my idea out.

yea, i admit having like 392 new quests is gona be a huge pain in the butt to implant but its not like having a few for every level but rather maybe having a few every few levels. Also the earlier ones if not done will stop working given a level range and if its the exp curve then why not something along the lines of (baselevel*baselevel*number)+quest exp) or something? and set it in a way where if you do it early on maybe you will get 1/2 your level and then it slowly drops until its fairly useless but the exp it gives per level keeps raising, just not as fast as the curve?

Thx 4 reading it though though! ^_^

PS:

Quote:I've read everything, I'll comment later. But the elemental wings change your armor property, not your attack one.
lol... that'd own, can't wait to try it. I only read a lil bit of it, at around what level would be an appropriate time to try questing for it?
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2007 05:19 PM by Free_Lancer.)
12-26-2007 05:00 PM
Rika Offline
Angel of Infinity

I honestly wouldn't mind a couple quests here and there for leveling, although I can't see it being a complete alternative. If Pandora at some point creates a rather long quest that gives exp for each part completed, it could be easier to accomplish than many little quests.

Even a quest every one to two months, we'd eventually add up to enough quests to make in an alternative over a side when bored of the grind...

xD But it may confuse new players more so, specially those who have years of experience from other servers. It's complicated explaining wings and even the stylist at times and the quests may be neglected at lower levels for it.

[Image: livingcolor.jpg][Image: soulessence.jpg]
Angel Empire♥
Rika[Assassin Cross]    -    Aorie[High Priest]
12-26-2007 05:14 PM
Free_Lancer Offline

Well the most easy way i can think of would possibly be calling all the quest givers Quest#Lv#-# and all the same npcID that can let people know what level to quest them and can be easily found, secondly to catch attention you could put an npc that says "EXP!" in new... i forgot the map, its the one where novices start out. that explains the quests and how they are a small boost to leveling or whatever you want to change it into.

I also don't think its too confusing to have people do some collect items, kill monsters, and traveling quests for exploring. maybe give directions and if for exploring then exact x/y coordinates as well? Having people know which place to grind and where things are will help even though it's a little bit confusing.

Maybe even a section somewhere saying "Quests for blah to blah levels (and hide whatever secret ones you wish to hide...)" and explain it in detail again and so on. could even be like a forums where the ones who did the quest already can post in it where the confused ones can read.

I did have another suggestion but that one would just reck chaos if you find the problem to be confusion. Thinking of the lines of a long quest that changes as the player decides to proceed with it (like they are given choices and how they respond to them changes the future results of the quests they are given for the long quest for both things to do and things they receive). Its random and unpredictable but too bad its gona be super confusing lol T.T

PS: I thought the though part would be how much work it would be and not the confusion lol... o well.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2007 05:42 PM by Free_Lancer.)
12-26-2007 05:29 PM