Poll: January 2012 ToH
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Monster was too easy
8.00%
4 8.00%
Monster was balanced
24.00%
12 24.00%
Monster was too hard
4.00%
2 4.00%
Item was too easy
0%
0 0%
Item was balanced
12.00%
6 12.00%
Item was too hard
18.00%
9 18.00%
Trivia was too easy
2.00%
1 2.00%
Trivia was balanced
28.00%
14 28.00%
Trivia was too hard
4.00%
2 4.00%
Total 50 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
January 2012 ToH Appreciation Thread
Former-GM-Circe Offline
Thank you, all. <3

Threads: 111
RE: January 2012 ToH Appreciation Thread
Forge was not online at the time. How could he have mentioned it to Glyph while he was not there? He came on later and confirmed it then.
Even if Glyph knew the timers broke, he could not have stopped the DC-crash. He could not have known just how such things were, or weren't handled in the script.
The only way he could have, for certain, avoided all this was by never actually starting anything that was run on a player timer. This means no Monster Trial, No Item Trial. No PvP Fights. No trivia. No Mass Battle. Some ToH. :X

In this case, yes.. It is strange for the timer to be attached by to the GM instead of the NPC.

Glyph didn't make the script. He hasn't seen the script. i haven't seen the script.
*I* did not know it was on player timers until Forge brought it up one time, after he'd seen the script. It's just not something we're told.
Even if we were, that could not have magically stopped the DC-crash.

As for if they change it. I bloody well hope so, if only to spare another GM for the amount of crap Glyph has copped for something that was effectively out of his control.
Glyph did not make the script. Simple as that.

GMs cannot enter a lane as a player unless they are registered. We can enter it as a GM only, via menu option, and should there be any script that activates on player entry (ie, one checking for this very situation), it would not have activated when we entered.
We still would have had to have given compensation to the second wave.??So, in short, the only way to "have to give compensation to anyone" would have been to jsut deny a bunch of players any sort of points.

"and i guess even player knows that chatlog is not that reliable. and i guess make a note about the important things outside the chatlogs is a wise decision. unless if the host think that the line report is not important"
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Could you rephrase?

Because you do not agree with it, does not make it incorrect. For one, during all this, YOU have the power of hindsight. The only reason you know that the 3rd wave worked that way was because you were either in it, or because we confirmed that's the way it happened.
Had it had a failsafe that triggered, which was possible, then you wouldn't be saying that line. You only know this because we tested it. None of us knew before it was tested.

On to calling things incorrect and demanding apologies. A few years ago, we had a 36 hour rollback. We implemented a way that players could recover some items they lost. Well after the event, a player had an issue with how this was done, and spewed everywhere in a thread that we were wrong, and we *must* apologise to everyone because HE would have done it another way (or, in his case, nothing at all).
While we understood that he had concerns, we disagreed that we were wrong. We stood by our decision, and while, if it were to happen again, we'd do some things differently, it would not have been his way, we weren't sorry for how we decided to do thing,s and the only reason things would deviate next time would be because we'd gone through it once already and would have that knowledge to act on.

You should know about the abuse. Some of it stemmed from an account very related to yours. Was it you on it at the time? I don't know.

I don't blame Glyph for his response. We've explained, and it's continued on after the event. If anything, the amount of abuse that started directly after the DC stemmed Glyph's want to move on with it. Not the other way around.
Some players seem to have an inability to take anything in stride and to accept that some things happen. This one stemmed from something we could not control, yet it didn't stop some people having a huge heart attack and switching directly to the KILLDESTROY setting.

What we did was troubleshooting. The first step in that is to establish if there will actually be a problem. The only way to do that is to try it. As I said above players cannot enter the lanes as players without registering (ie, opening up the registrations again to everyone). Only a player could have caused the activation of any possible script on player entry to the lane.
Not for a minute would I ever, ever equate the abuse we went through that night to entering a lane and finding 6 mobs instead of 3. I'm not sure how you can even begin to make this correlation.

Once we established that there actually was a problem, we then moved onto other troubleshooting. We did not sit there for the whole time trying to restart the lane over and over on the off chance that "maybe it would work this time".
In order to troubleshoot, you need a base to work off.

If we had not made that first wave, we would not have known what we were dealing with. Can you imagine if we had skipped that first try, and if there HAD been a fix activated in it for these circumstances, and instead we'd spent ages trying to find a fix when it worked all that time?

The trivia was a time burner.
If you can't trust us enough to even state our own favorite color and soda flavor, than there's nothing we can do about that. That's something you need to work out with yourself.
Gone! Thanks for the memories.
<333

01-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Website Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: January 2012 ToH Appreciation Thread - by GM-Circe - 01-30-2012, 05:11 AM