Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sorrow of the Wind
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

Threads: 11
Miracle
“Land-ho!” the sailor in the crow's nest at the top of the mizzenmast of the ship called. Those aboard the ship rushed to the railings to get a glimpse of the land of which they approached. Only a few stayed towards the centre of the seafaring vessel, mostly those of which who were ill from the tossing and turning of the vessel. There were also a few who were uninterested in how close to land they were. One of the few who were towards the centre of the deck was Summerstream, gingerly holding her right side and looking towards the wood, and breathing deeply with her eyes closed. Around the group in the centre of the deck, the ship's crew ran around making preparations for docking.

“Maybe I should have waited a few more days...” she mumbled, then raised her head to look out over the open water. Summerstream squinted her eyes against the sun's reflection. She was leaning against the main mast, the spot picked out after watching how the sailors moved around. Then, she shook her head and knelt down to pick her bag up, and sling it on her right shoulder to rest the bag against her left hip. “No... It's best if I do it now.” Calmly she lowered her hand from her side and walked to an open section of the rails herself to glimpse out at the land. The ship itself was a few hundred meters away from the docks of Louyang still, and even the half-fey considered spreading her wings behind her to get off the god forsaken ship faster. Her wings, half translucent in the sun, twitched behind her in anticipation, but their owner forced them to stop. She looked over her shoulder at the other passengers aboard the vessel. No one was watching. She put her hands on the rail and braced herself. She could feel her wings start to flutter.

“You better not overwork yourself!” Summerstream flinched, and stopped. Her body relaxed, and left hand released the smooth wood, and went back to her injured right side with half closed eyes.

“Trim the sails! Prepare for docking!”

“Aye-aye, Captain!”

Summerstream smiled faintly, and turned her gaze to the sky that was being revealed by the sailors working with the sails to slow down their speed. She pushed her glasses up, and narrowed her eyes partially, then breathed out in a sigh. There was a tugging on her arm, causing Summerstream to turn her head to look down at the face of a young girl. Summerstream breathed in sharply, and bit the inside of her cheek as the girl shuffled her weight uncomfortably.

“U-um hello miss hero...” The girl clutched the doll in her hand close to her chest as her hat flopped lazily in the wind.

By the Tree, I did not think I would be approached on the ferry.

“Yes, what can I do for you?” Summerstream responded, clenching the rail so her voice would stay even. She then crouched down so she was at eye-level with the girl.

Please do not make everyone look this way.

“Umm... I... I want to be a hero too! Just like you! You... you were...” The little girl was shuffling her weight and looking around. Others were beginning to take notice, too. Summerstream looked around, then offered the girl a warm smile.

Act like she is just a girl in Prontera. Act like no one else is watching your every move. Act like you are on duty.

“I've done many things, little one.” She looked over the girl. “But, I don't do it with some natural talent or anything. I've had to work really hard to get where I am now.” Summerstream paused, and looked around at the people closest to her and the little girl. She could hear them whispering about the incidents with Amdusias and Lucretia, and even more recently with Kushiel. “But, the important thing is, is to not give up, no matter who sides against you, or what the cost may be. You can be strong if you put your heart into being a hero, too. You don't have to take up a blade or a staff, or even a bow, to be a hero.” Summerstream knew that the girl could hear those whispers, too.

These people do not know half of what happened. Typical. Whisper all you want, it doesn't make a difference.

“You don't have to fight to be a hero?” The girl asked with wide eyes.

Summerstream's smile softened. “You don't. You only fight if it is absolutely necessary.” Her wings twitched behind her slightly, and she shuffled slightly. She lowered her voice so that only she and the little girl could hear. “Yggdrasil blessed each of us with different gifts and talents. It is up to us to find the best ways to use them.” She saw the girl jump a bit at the change in tone, and she looked into Summerstream's eyes. The half-fey put a finger to her lips, and smiled. She saw the girl nod, and then run off towards her parents. Summerstream stood up as she watched the girl, then looked at her parents with partially closed eyes. The girl was jumping up and down excitedly. Summerstream turned her gaze away and saw that the dock was within meters, and there were crew mates already preparing to jump off the ship to catch the lines to secure the vessel to the deck.

Almost there. Almost off this godforsaken ship.

She heard footsteps behind her, and she turned to have to look up at a man. “I saw you talking with my daughter. She would like to know your name.”

I hate crowds.

Summerstream grit her teeth, and didn't turn to face the man who approached her. “Summerstream.” She replied simply, before stepping away from the railing to wait for the lowering of the gangplank. She breathed a sigh of relief as the other passengers started to do the same. As much as she hated crowds, they were sure nice to hide in. From her bag she took out her cloak and fastened it so that her wings wouldn't be tugged at by the people around her.

The half-fey was more than happy to reach the eastern gate of Louyang an hour later. She could see the bright red hair belonging to her adoptive mother standing near the gate.

“Emmeryn, you didn't have to come out to get me.” Summerstream said, smiling a little, “It's not like I'm unable to defend myself.”

“You're keeping your tone of voice too level, Summ-summ. The heck you do this time?” Emmeryn responded, stepping over to look at the younger woman. “Give me your bag. There's no way in hell I'm letting you carry it if you're injured.”

'I-Its nothing Emm!” Summerstream waved her hands in front of her, then winced. Emmeryn seized the chance to unclip Summerstream's bag from her side and take it. “Emm... Please...”

“I'm carrying your bag for you, and that's final. Come on, it's getting late.” Emmeryn said with a small giggle and hopped outside of the gate. Summerstream shook her head slowly and followed the spirited woman.

“So, what happened this time?” Emmeryn posed the question again as she looked over her shoulder with bright yellow irises.

“I uh... Got dismounted by a demon deer.” Summerstream mumbled. “I'm recovering from the fight with Kushiel still.” She was glad to be speaking in Chinese again.

“Kushiel, hm? I didn't think you would have gone.” Emmeryn started to walk backwards. “What was he like? The newspaper seemed to paint him as a lunatic.” She turned around and hopped lightly over a rock in the wagon path before looking back at Summerstream.

“Emm, he was going to unseal Nyddhog. I had to go. The newspapers were correct with that labelling, at least.” Summerstream sighed irritably, and held her side. Em stopped walking to let her catch up.

“That bad, huh? I'm sure Earl will look over it.” Emmeryn said softly. Summerstream grunted in reply, and the two walked in silence until the walls of the village were within a few hundred meters. The half-fey stood still for a moment to look at the walls, and to catch her breath, before gritting her teeth to catch up to her adoptive mother who waited patiently a few paces ahead. Summerstream glanced at her bag for a moment, then lowered her gaze to the road. She blew for several seconds before she nodded to herself and raised her head.

“How is Sophie doing?” Summerstream asked, partially closing her eyes.

“Sophie? Oh, well she hasn't woken up yet.” Emmeryn noted as they walked towards the house, “But, she did start mumbling in her sleep.” Summerstream's eyes widened, and she simply breathed out. Em looked over her shoulder and smiled as the half-fey put a hand over her heart.

Thank you... Summerstream smiled warmly as she stepped inside the home. Thank you, Yggdrasil. Thank you.

She had closed her eyes to lean against the wall for a moment, before she let out a long, quiet hiss. She put her hand on her side and stood there for several minutes, waiting for the pain to subside. Summerstream opened her eyes when she felt a warm hand on her shoulder.

Maybe I should have stayed for a few more days. Ugh, no matter... It'll be over soon.

“Come on, Summ-summ. Let's get you patched up.” She heard the warm voice of Earl say.

“...Can you get Em to bring my bag?” Summerstream asked quietly. Earl parted his lips for a moment, but nodded as Summerstream stood upright.

“Sure, let's just get you treated first.” Earl responded. Summerstream looked up at him for a moment before he started to guide her to a chair in one of the nearby rooms. Summerstream sat there in silence.

No turning back now. It's for the best..

She heard the footsteps before she opened her eyes. She noted that the room wasn't quite as cold as she thought it was, so she removed her shirt so that the bandages on her torso could be accessed. Summerstream breathed in as deeply as she could, and sighed.

“What did you need from your bag, Summ?” Emmeryn asked as she entered the room, carrying the side bag. Summerstream got to her feet and walked over as Earl entered the room.

“Just one thing.” Summerstream said quietly, and took the vial out from it's hiding place. She looked at the thick translucent gold liquid, then sighed. Emmeryn looked at the vial, then at her husband.

“What... Is that?” She asked, perplexed.

Summerstream hesitated. “Earl knows. But, I figured it would be better to do this here, rather then when I'm alone.” She looked up to Earl and smiled nervously. Earl started to laugh heartily.

“I didn't mean you had to do it! Sheesh, Summ-summ. We don't even know what will happen!”

“Then, this is certainly the moment to find out, isn't it?” Summerstream said calmly, and stepped back with the vial in her hands. Her free hand rested on her stomach for a moment. Emmeryn nodded quietly, understanding.

“When you're ready, then Summ-summ.” Earl nodded.

Summerstream breathed in before she removed the cork from the vial, then breathed out. Then in one motion, she upturned the vial and swallowed the contents.

“Oh gods it's sweet!” Summerstream noted, gagging a little, and holding her mouth until the taste went away. Emmeryn giggled a little, and set the bag to the side.

“How do you feel?” Earl asked, taking a step towards the half-fey.

“...Not much different, honestly.” Summerstream narrowed her eyes a bit. “It's a little strange.” She rubbed her temple for a moment, then looked up at Earl. “Maybe I waited too long?” She took a step forward, and her legs buckled from under her. Earl, who was the closest, caught her and carefully brought her down so she was sitting on his legs before leaning her against his torso.

“...What the hell...?” Summerstream's voice was quiet, and her gaze moved to look at one of her hand that had held the now empty vial. It slipped out from her grip and rolled on the floor. “I-I can't move my fingers.” Earl picked up the vial.

“Summerstream?!” Emmeryn exclaimed, coming closer to her husband and adopted daughter.

“...warm.” Summerstream murmured. “Warm and tired...” She closed her eyes after a few moments. Earl looked at the young woman before he chuckled quietly.

“Well damn. Wasn't expecting that.” Earl said after, lifting Summerstream up. “Em, can you put this in my office please?”

“E-Expecting what?!” Emmeryn was trying not to shout as she took the empty vial. “S-she just collapsed in front of us, a-and that's all you say?”

“Calm down, Em. I mean I wasn't expecting her to react like this to Yggdrasil's sap. I also wasn't expecting her to go through with actually getting the sap...” Earl shook his head. “I'll bring her upstairs then change these bandages.” Emmeryn breathed in deeply, then blew a stray strand of hair out of her face.

“Right... I'll check on the other patients.” Emmeryn said, nodding and leaving the room with uncharacteristically heavy footfalls. Earl sighed, and carried the unconscious half-fey upstairs.

“You're too damn reckless girl.” Earl muttered some time later, and gently closed the door behind him. Summerstream was laying half seated in her bed sleeping peacefully, her head supported by a pillow.

“...Mmmn...?” Summerstream brought her hand to her face before she even opened her eyes. She breathed quietly for a few moments after she felt the pressure of her hand, then opened her eyes to stare at the ceiling overhead.

“...Okay... So I can move...” Summerstream muttered, and extended her arm to reach for the ceiling before rotating her wrist from side to side. She brought her arm back down, and did the same with her other hand.

“...Is it just me, or is my vision a bit clearer...?” she asked, blinking several times after bringing her arm down. She then sat up, and rubbed her eyes of sleep before stretching and shaking her head a little.

“...Can't be.” Summerstream shrugged and put her glasses on, then got out of bed. Then, she walked over to the nearby window and opened it. It was evening. Puzzled, she looked over her shoulder at her bed, then back outside.

“How long was I asleep for..?” She scratched her scalp before she closed her window, blinking at her reflection for a moment. She stiffened, then lightly ran to pull the cover off of a medium mirror that was on her wall. In her reflection, the scar that she had on her jaw was missing.

“W-wha...” Summerstream forced herself to breathe normally before she removed her shirt, and the leather wrap around her neck. Standing topless in front of the mirror, covering her breasts with her arm, her eyes widened. The wound she had received only the previous week was gone. Smaller, less serious cuts and scrapes that had healed also had the scars they left behind gone. Those she didn't mind so much.

Summerstream swallowed roughly, and lifted her hair from her neck with her free hand, and turned her neck before dropping her hair. Immediately, she took a step back and looked at her reflection from her hips up, and saw that the scar that had made its home on her stomach was gone. Her eyes widened, and her breathing caught in her throat.

“E-EARL!!” Summerstream screamed as she stumbled taking a step back. She fell to the ground with a loud thud, and she sat up quickly with her wings quivering behind her. Her gaze was held firm by her reflection in the mirror, which stared back at her with the whites around the iris of her eyes showing.

“W-w... W-What the hell happened...?” Summerstream whispered, breathing rapidly.
[Image: .gif]
Test & Dev | Wiki
The taste of our wine is as divine as the stars
Summerstream | Amelia Newman
Ithilethiel | Aquaris Harmoni
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
05-23-2016, 05:17 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
Sorrow of the Wind - by Summerstream - 03-13-2016, 07:08 AM