Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
About the "New Player Test"
Thorny Offline

About the "New Player Test"

Everyone who plays here knows about the test that new players need to complete in order to play on heRO.

There is an NPC at the novice starting area which subjects you to a completely brutal, long-winded rant about server rules. This would not be so bad, as I personally have great respect for the rules which govern each server (and because I have a degree of common sense), but the GMs/Devs/Owners of the server have decreed that anyone who wants to play has to answer a completely unforgiving test on the rules which have just been shoved down our throats.

I say unforgiving because there is absolutely ZERO room for error, and because there are a number of questions which seem to be written incorrectly. For example there is at least one question where you are presented with a two exact same answer options in the list, but one of them is wrong - particularly frustrating because on my first run through the test this happened to be the final question that needed to be answered correctly in order to pass. I chose one of the two exact same answers, and was informed that my response was incorrect, thus immediately failing me from the test, and forcing me to start over.

There are also questions which seem to have little or no relevance to the casual player - questions relating to WoE (which I do not personally participate in), questions about personal opinion (where if you do not share the same opinion of the NPC scriptor you are deemed unworthy of playing on the server), and questions where there has obviously been no thought given to grammar or syntax.

One question in particular really bothered me - It was the one asking about (forgive me here, I do not have the exact script from the NPC, but this should be close enough for understanding) "the illegal practice of attacking something that another player is attacking". This is clearly referring to Kill Stealing. You are forced to type your answer to this question. I wrote in the box "kill stealing" and was told it was incorrect. I was booted from the test to start over. I happened to get the same question again the next time around and typed "ksing". Okay. So, let me get this right. The proper term "Kill Stealing" is incorrect, however the grammatically incorrect, non-descriptor "ksing" is correct. This term would have absolutely no meaning to someone who is new to the game. In fact, in the rules, "kill stealing" is referred to as such - "kill stealing". Then, come exam time, it switches gears and expects the user to predict the answer that the scriptor wrote as the correct one. KSing isn't a word. Kill Stealing is correct.

Moreover, there are questions where you need to type out specefic spell names which are not allowed for use in WoE. (As a reminder, I do not participate in WoE). I guessed at the most common spells which could cause devistation and lag, but all were incorrect.

I know what the argument here will be - That the answers are in the rules, if you read them start to finish. I did read them, but my problem with the rules are as follows:

They are written in a dry fashion. Its like reading a text book about something as uninteresting as the genetic differences between plankton found in the Atlantic versus the Pacific ocean.

On top of that, they have found a way to make the rules sound so preachy that I personally get red faced trying to swallow them all. It's as if the scriptor (or GMs, or Devs, or Owners) is writing everything with their noses held high, commanding peasants and fools. The first time i read through the rules I was more than just taken aback at the tone of superiority and entitlement in which they were written. I felt as though my intelligence was constantly being challenged and insulted.

After four exhausing and frustrating attempts to finish the test I was able to join the world of the living. All answers that I gave (with the exception of WoE spell rules) were 100% correct, but the NPC, as I said before is unforgiving.

In my opinion, subjecting users to this kind of harrasment and frustration is unfair, and is unwise if the server wishes to grow in any meaningful fashion. The test left such a bitter taste in my mouth that I am unsure if I can continue to play here - which is sad, because despite all of this frustration, I can see that this is a thriving server with good natured people.

I know that I will never need to go through that test again, but it just seems completely unfair to punish new players before they even begin to play.

And thats all I have to say about that.

**EDIT** I just wanted to add that I recognize the irony of complaining about long-winded rules in a long-winded post.

A Legend, In His Own Time...
[Image: onarosig.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2010 01:04 AM by Thorny.)
09-06-2010 12:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
About the "New Player Test" - Thorny - 09-06-2010 12:56 AM
RE: About the "New Player Test" - Shikari - 09-06-2010, 01:31 AM
RE: About the "New Player Test" - Shikari - 09-06-2010, 02:26 AM
RE: About the "New Player Test" - Neuneck - 09-06-2010, 02:28 AM
RE: About the "New Player Test" - GM-Circe - 09-06-2010, 02:44 AM
RE: About the "New Player Test" - Incarn - 09-06-2010, 03:04 AM
RE: About the "New Player Test" - GM-Circe - 09-06-2010, 03:10 AM
RE: About the "New Player Test" - Rankin - 09-06-2010, 07:29 AM
RE: About the "New Player Test" - Thorny - 09-06-2010, 08:12 AM