Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
heRO Murder Mystery Event Suggestion!
Finitevus Offline
Antique Adventurer

heRO Murder Mystery Event Suggestion!

Yes, you heard me! A murder mystery! Well, I've never been involved in a murder mystery before so I wouldn't know how it'd happen, but I have a rough idea in my head. Also, the mystery doesn't necessarily have to be a murder mystery. For example, the storyline could just be 'finding the culprit' from mundane scenarios as "Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?" or as serious as "Who stole King Tristan III's gold?". In my opinion, this event should be an RP event and should involve experienced RPers.

A sample story I have in mind is this:
Quote:The Trial of Heroes have just ended, and with the end of such a grand event, the heroes of the Light and Dark Allegiance must rest. The hotels of the cities provide that resting spot for these heroes. In order the avoid damage to their property, the services, whom remain neutral, have set strict rules of no conflict, resulting in a temporary truce between the Allegiances.

However, one day, Noobazoid was killed and....
Well, you could probably see with what I'm going with here.
As for how it should be played out, I got a few ideas for that too. People should first create a character profile in the forums such as below:

Quote:Name:
Class:
Allegiance: (Light or Dark)
Alignment: (Lawful Evil, True Neutral, etc.)
Background/Personality:

After that, all those who sign up will be entered into a Guest-list. Only people in this guest-list is able to participate for this event. Now, as to how this would work, I have 2 suggestions on how that would work:

-METHOD 1- (small groups)
The GM creates the victim and selects the murderer from the Guest-list. Two days prior the event, that random player is told he is the murderer, and will be told who his victim is. The GM and the player could discuss the cause of death (in secret of course) or whatever is needed. The cause of death has to be hard to figure out as to who did it. For example, a burnt corpse could suggest either a Magician as the culprit, a Ninja, an Archer using fire arrows, or a ridiculously powerful Magnum Break. Obviously, the murderer is not allowed to expose himself at all. Now during this event, Base level is ignored. A level 1 Novice could be the culprit who killed the level 99 Priest. This is to make things a bit interesting. Instead, your skills is what counts. For example, an Theif with Hiding could've been the culprit.
A day before the event, the scenario is set. The venue, relationships between the characters etc are all created and mentioned in this scenario posted in the forums.
Now, on the day of the event itself, the people in the Guest-list will all be invited to a party made by the GM. That way, the participants could use the Party Chat so they can easily identify it and not get distracted by other messages or @main (It probably is suggested @main be off during this event. It is also suggested to block all PMs too). When it begins, the players would have to RP as though their characters were living their normal lives (in a hotel? lol...). A few minutes shall pass and then the crisis happens. The participants, including the murderer/culprit must then investigate the crisis. Even if the culprit is blamed immediately, he/she must do their best to deny it and perhaps lay the blame on someone else. Basically it's trying to prove a person is the culprit and that you are not. Later, after a few blames and revealing secrets, the discussion must conclude with the group agreeing with who the murderer is. Then, the GM will intervene. The first person who is able to tell the GM the correct culprit with the correct evidence, wins.

Now from here onwards, I'm not too sure as how a murder mystery party goes, but I'm assuming that is goes like that.

-METHOD 2- (big groups)
Victims are selected from the Guest-list instead of being created by the GM. There could be more than 1 victim, and they could die at random intervals. (eg. "I need to head to the bathroom real quick... continue your discussion of this mystery while I leave" [5 seconds later] DEAD). The victims will not know their killer.
The rest should be the same as method 1.

Now, as for rules, it should go like this:
1) Show your equipment to Public settings.
2) Try not to leave early (especially the murderer)
.... and that is all I can think up for now.

Problems that could come along the way are people for log off, disconnect or go AFK. As to how to overcome it, I suggest a 'back-up' murderer.

This was actually made-up along the way. Feel free to (seriously) criticize and give your opinion on this idea. I would appreciate it.

EDIT:
Also, please excuse my language if it isn't in the correct grammar, usage, etc. English ain't exactly my mother-tongue...

[Image: 2r3b5v5.jpg]

Kalcurz (XX Lord Knight) - "Abominating Warrior"
Finitevus (5X Mage) - "Unidentified Rune"
Lightmare (4X Gunslinger) - "Red Dead Ringer"
Keiru (5X Ninja) - "Sharp Ghost"
Rothschild (6X Rogue) - "Sleeping Dagger"
Dazak (5X Acolyte) - "Enlightened Host"
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2009 12:44 AM by Finitevus.)
09-19-2009 12:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

RE: heRO Murder Mystery Event Suggestion!

Ehhh....Clue?

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
09-19-2009 01:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ellie Offline
Bittersweet

I suppose it could run along the same lines as werewolf, but with the preparation, more aimed towards bigger RPs?

The only problem with the 2 day pre-event sign up might be people forgetting/not turning up/not realising timezone differences.

Inasad
stop doing dickers
09-19-2009 01:13 AM
Finitevus Offline
Antique Adventurer

RE:??heRO Murder Mystery Event Suggestion!

Motenai_Ronin Wrote:Ehhh....Clue?

*shrug*
Again, never tried murder mysteries before.

Ellie Wrote:I suppose it could run along the same lines as werewolf, but with the preparation, more aimed towards bigger RPs?

The only problem with the 2 day pre-event sign up might be people forgetting/not turning up/not realising timezone differences.

For now, I would suggest to just keep it small. Is there anything on werewolves in the RO lore though? I'm not sure... as for participation, I guess anyone who is willing to try and RP would be a suitable candidate. Perhaps a trial event with 8-12 people should work?

As for the 2 day thing, obviously it can be changed. I don't know why I said 2 days... last minute preparation is never good...
09-19-2009 01:22 AM
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

Idea isn't unworkable as we've done a nearly exact same thing before, only players didn't volunteer to join to be killed, and the killer isn't restricted to a quest list type of approach...

What we did back then was that a bigger part of the arc is that Dracula was out murdering people at night, and players have to guess who's Dracula's identity at day time. Dracula (the mvp) attacks the victim at night time if the designated killer is in a non-exp loss town. There was no explicitly given hint except the goal being to find out who's Dracula at day time and that Dracula is a "real player." What Dracula did was that during some night time he only targetted females in guilds that tried to recruit Dracula's daytime identity into their guild (following the novel's principle on who does Dracula attack), and players who figured out the common points in all the attack is able to greatly reduce their search to pinpoint out which guild did Dracula belong to. Finally, Dracula's daytime identity is named "Stoker" in honor of the author to the novel, thus there's sufficient hint to find out exactly who it is. So in a sense, that's sort of like your macro plan in plan B for RPing.

I just didn't do it again for reusing same tricks in a large RP arc XD;

09-19-2009 01:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Finitevus Offline
Antique Adventurer

Gah.

Well, again, I was hoping this be more RP oriented and be more of a "side-story" unrelated and insignificant to the main RP storyline. Ah well.
09-19-2009 01:16 PM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Sounds interesting, I'm sure we could do something like this eventually.

I could borrow a real mystery pack from a friend too and first ppl to show up at the event get handed a role and I read the cards to them.

I've also started working a server-wide quest a while ago that players do together rather than alone, I add bits and pieces from time to time, it's a murder solving story, it's far from completion however.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
09-22-2009 02:59 PM
Sakurato Away
Full Support Copycat

GM-Ayu Wrote:Idea isn't unworkable as we've done a nearly exact same thing before, only players didn't volunteer to join to be killed, and the killer isn't restricted to a quest list type of approach...

...stupid dracula ;-; attacking me like 3 times :@.

This would be fun again I really like the even last time where the towns were not even safe cause a killer was on the loose Icon_smile

Kohana|Sinx
Euphorie|Champ
Sonatina|Gypsy
Sakurato|High Priest
Nozomi|Whitesmith
Sakura|Professor
Frejya|Sniper
Ayami|Creator
Anei|Stalker
Fumiko|High Wizard
09-22-2009 03:27 PM
Sigard Offline

Motenai_Ronin Wrote:Ehhh....Clue?

Clue ToH Edition...

I call dibs on Col. Mustard!
09-22-2009 05:08 PM
Général_Argos Offline
Removed by GM

Would be better handled using a vent than typing everything?

IGN: 9000KRIM Alts:  Morradin, KRIMSTEAL
Banned: Krimlin, Krimlogas, Lord_Krimlogas, General_Argos
Krim's grocery list

¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_-KRIMLIN-¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯/
Murphy law.  The only true one.  
[Image: krimstyleg.jpg]
09-22-2009 05:16 PM