Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Magic the Gathering
Cheesecake Offline
The Tasty Trap

RE: Magic the Gathering

I totally agree. It's getting better too, the decktypes are much more wide spread though usually focusing on one monster or getting out a combo, there are still an infinite amount of posibilities.

[Image: 35iqbyd.png]
Cheesecake 93/99 SuperNovice | Hell 7x/4x Hybrid Hunter
Milkshake 7x/4x Knight | Lein 7x/4x Priest | Mystia 8x/5x Monk

05-27-2009 11:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Proxyt Offline
The King

@Kirby
Tough as or TOUGHER than forest creatures.
It's annoying when crappy 2/1's turn into 14/10's and if they die you lose 3 life, and they have deathtouch. Zombies only real weakness is early-game, and against flying. Board wipes against zombies often means 'everyone lose 10 life' D=

@Galt
Yeah the set I started playing with was Ravnica, I love that deck.
Lightning Helix + Skyknight Legionnaires + Trumpeters, and also a couple of the shadowmoor cards like Scourge of the Nobilis.
Powerful lifelink deck that was great and got me into Magic =p

@Aaron + Cheesecake
From what I remember... Yu Gi Oh was crap. Total crap >>;
I played while stuff like Blue Eyes was the best.
Then 1-2 sets later, Blue Eyes is useless, total crap.
They overpower everything in the newer sets so that you HAVE to completely replace old cards with new ones if you wanna win.

At least in Magic if you buy something from, let's say Shards, you can continue to use it for a long time, and there are cards from old sets like 4 years ago that are still powerful (or even overpowered) in current magic environments.

Maybe Yu Gi Oh has changed since then, but not only the constant having to buy new OP cards, but I also prefer Magic because it's higher difficulty level. There's a lot more thinking involved. Proper Manabase, Mana Curving, Board Control VS Utilites, Card Advantage, Speed VS Control, etc. You always have to think ahead and predict what your opponent will do, and play appropriately. Not just draw a card, play the strongest one, and /gg. Everything works together for a good magic player, not just deck + luck + basic knowledge of the game.

Also, a lot more people playing Magic, = more people to practice/trade/tournament with, Yu Gi Oh, at least where I live, has a lower fanbase. People who play Magic are usually 18-40 year old people, whilst I find Yu Gi Oh players to be more 14-18, generally not the best people to play with.

[Image: willowsig.png]

Proxyt- 95 Powpow Palaladin
AleithionP - 92 Knight of War
VerityP - 5x Super Service Novice
05-27-2009 03:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

YGO are generally 18-30 >>; How the heck are the 14 year olds going to sponsor themselves to attend SJC tourneys across north america? YGO does have more problems with new cards replacing old cards more often (but that's more like cause the commons are too much of an utter crap compare to the ultra rares Icon_sad ) but then that's not hard to remedy if you play the DS game instead so you don't have to spend so much ;p Higher level gameplay it has its unique laws of thinking. It's because every card has game changing potential, you have to be extra careful and try to nail down mirror force out-predicting it, or force opponent's graveyard management to mess up before Dark Armed Dragon (card with highly destructive effect but can only be special summoned if user has exactly 3 dark monster in graveyard) is up.

(PS: Anyone has YGO on DS to play with me once my wifi is fixed some day?)

As for Magic, I would've played it too if it's not so pricy and there's no electronic version to play the game cheaply =/

05-27-2009 03:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cheesecake Offline
The Tasty Trap

I only have Yugioh Spirit Caller GX for DS. I could go for a new one.

Also, about Yugioh, I still use Penguin Soldier and Buster Blader and Solemn Wishes, all cards from early 1-5 sets. I'l never replace them, they havn't been overpowered. Great Mahu Garzet is still insane and its around set 7? When??summoned gains 2x the attack power of the sacraficed monster.

Btw, Tourny Play bans over-powered cards as they go. There is a gigantic list and most of them are new ones. All the ultra-rare monsters are tournyb&. Most of the older insanely powerful cards, like Jar of Greed which makes mill draw overpowered is limited to 1 per deck, or Monster Reborn.

[Image: 35iqbyd.png]
Cheesecake 93/99 SuperNovice | Hell 7x/4x Hybrid Hunter
Milkshake 7x/4x Knight | Lein 7x/4x Priest | Mystia 8x/5x Monk

(This post was last modified: 05-27-2009 03:53 PM by Cheesecake.)
05-27-2009 03:49 PM
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

erm... jar of greed is unlimited, and pot of green is banned (0 allowed) since it's an easy +1. Monster Reborn is back though to combat/punish graveyard mismanagement. But really YGO does have severe pacing problems in terms of good usable cards and rarity compare to Magic. Let's say if you use all common deck in both games, Magic you'll still fight an uphill battle against deck using any card, but you won't face the same degree of decimation like YGO will do to you in the same situation (thus why play on the DS, where rarity totally doesn't matter!)

I could go on for YGO but this is a magic thread Icon_razz I did play Magic before but it was only sorta helping friend understand rules for magic a bit so I only got to play one of the starter decks.

05-27-2009 07:09 PM
Galt Offline
Lurker

I love reading the little quotes the MTG cards have sometimes... especially the Abridged series.

Gleemax FTW.

Randomly materializing within heRO since 2008.

Hi, I copy and paste profound and meaningful quotes without having an iota's worth of what it actually means!
05-27-2009 07:53 PM
Kirby_Z Offline
The Kirbster

RE:??Magic the Gathering

Galt Wrote:I love reading the little quotes the MTG cards have sometimes... especially the Abridged series.

Gleemax FTW.

Yeah, orcs have the funniest of all.

Also I found a software called Magic Workstation, it can be found free around the netand it can pe played online. The only drawback is that is kinda outdated.

Proud Member Of The Nya Nya Crew
[Image: nyanya.jpg][Image: 51000806.png]
Nya Nya Crew - ¥†‡ Hero's #1 Social Non Woe Guild ‡†¥
05-27-2009 10:21 PM
Proxyt Offline
The King

@Magic
Oh yeah you can play Magic online with Magic workstation, and if you want to get the latest sets, you have to patch the new sets like alara.

@YGO
They have a huge list of banned cards for tourneys? That's because the creators of cards aren't thinking about balance and stuff when they make the cards. Magic card developers test each card thoroughly to make sure they aren't overpowered. Obviously the earlier sets have op cards, but as they hired more staff, like nowadays, you won't see many banned cards at all.
As for tourneys... Magic is much more involved in tourneys with the pro tours and stuff, all the people -I- know that play YGO are 14-18 >>, maybe some at other places that are older.

[Image: willowsig.png]

Proxyt- 95 Powpow Palaladin
AleithionP - 92 Knight of War
VerityP - 5x Super Service Novice
05-27-2009 10:29 PM
Avalon_Fates Offline
†Last Angel†

My deck accelerates out a turn 4 Phage its great >.<

The problem with Yu-Gi-Oh success is the one thing I hate about magic.

All of yu-gi-oh's sets are legal, and ontop of that is a ban/restricted list. So as it goes you get more and more deck types and combinations that are accessable.

With magic theirs standard, block and extended for prebuilt decks. so every year or so you lose a entire set to play with in Standard, you have to make completely new decks for block and extended (lets be honest) Doesn't get us much play as it should. and is unbelievably expensive.

[Image: 330g3na.gif]
"A utopia without love is just an illusion"
Angel Fates /99-68/1 agi 190aspd Lord Knight.
Magia Erebea Elysia /83-49/ Battle Alchemist
Magia Elysia/94-50/Magic Bullet Monk <-Needs work.
05-28-2009 02:41 AM
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

i don't think MTG will ever have 700 dollars deck (DAD decks last format), but the way the banlist work does suggest a point. MTG may have less problems in balance cause they wipe out entire sets out of standard, so any potential problem of a new set with an old set, is "solved" that way. However, imho even if you're counting MTG extended vs YGO advanced format (ironically advance meaning standard banlist), i don't think MTG has as much problems of some cards being so much of a power play while some cards are 100% total junk.

05-28-2009 03:17 AM