Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dubs vs Subs
lemonlimesoap Offline

Dubs vs Subs

Ah yes, one of the greatest debates of anime only dwarfed by the underage girls controversy, loli's as we would call them being drawn in very sexual situations or manners in some animes (Yeah I don't want to get banned so im not going to take a stand on if im for or against xD).

Well anyways moving on, I will be on the taking the side of Subs in the dubs v. SUBS argument. I'll admit that there are some dubs, be it few, that actually are decent and some what good (Cowboy Bebop, FMA, not Inuyasha but to be fair inuyasha wasn't good dubbed or subbed). But what really makes me for subs is the fact that dubs in america/other english speaking countries are spreading the weeaboo infection.

Yes the infection, im japanese myself, but seeing the effects of naruto with other licensed animes throughout I start to wish I wasn't. People will trot up to me (cause they only have pale pasty stubs for legs so they can't walk) in their Naruto headbands while lacking in hygiene saying things like "Oh ur japanese OMGZ ur sooooooooo~ KAWAYEEEE" or some other bullshit japanese word that they can insert into a sentence being pronounced horribly wrong.

Most of them argue that fansubbing is hurting the anime industry, wrong its hurting the american anime industry which is the source of the infection. The japanese industry make money by selling the licenses which differ from shows but this isn't their main source of income or even a good portion of it.

Most of it comes from tv airings IN JAPAN and products of their show. So as long as they have legions of otaku fans buying their going to be fine for a long ass time. All in all be it there might be a few good dubs out there I feel that they are doing more bad than good.

Thank you for reading and goodnight or morning or w/e
oh and srry about the wall of words, came back and noticed that i was to lazy to insert spaces so edited it to make more visually appealing

AntiHydrogen - Agi Knight lvl 80-??/??
TwilightZone - Thief (Crit Sin) lvl 43/??
DarkMatter - Quick Spell Ninja lvl 20-??/??
others still novice
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2009 05:28 PM by lemonlimesoap.)
06-02-2009 10:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ellie Offline
Bittersweet

RE: Dubs vs Subs

Subs, pl0x.

Dubs make them always sound like whiny brats. And then they censor them too.
Take Sailor Moon for example.

Sub = Neptune and Uranus are lovers, likethey should be.
Dub = They are cousins. But not all the lines were changed. So they sound like very iffy cousins. "It's children friendly, we swear!"

Inasad
stop doing dickers
06-02-2009 11:04 PM
ShadowValentine Offline
Spero Dum Spiro.

I always preferred subs myself, dubs just ruin it for me.

Søren Kierkegaard Wrote:And when the hourglass has run out, the hourglass of temporality, when the noise of secular life has grown silent and its restlessness or ineffectual activism has come to an end, when everything around you is still, as it is in eternity, then eternity asks you and every individual in these millions and millions about only one thing: whether you have lived in despair or not.
06-02-2009 11:28 PM
lemonlimesoap Offline

yes exactly and they totally ruined sailor moon xD i like the uncensored one where they get there asses kicked hard

AntiHydrogen - Agi Knight lvl 80-??/??
TwilightZone - Thief (Crit Sin) lvl 43/??
DarkMatter - Quick Spell Ninja lvl 20-??/??
others still novice
06-02-2009 11:34 PM
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

I used to like dubs, but now that I've seen Subs, they tend to annoy me.

The voice actors either don't really fit, or they mess up with translations or Pronounciations of the names are messed up or changed altogether, and it really sorta ruins it.

Still, the Dub of Ranma 1/2 makes me lol when I watch Naruto.

Kuno's Ninja was also named Sasuke
Pronounced SAH-SOO-KAY in Ranma's English dub.

But overall I prefer the subs. American Voice actors don't really know how to yell and make it sound convincing =/
06-03-2009 12:19 AM
FrAcTuRe Offline
I knit.

Subs are basically always better. Sometimes I can stand listening to dubs. Most of the time I can't.

FrAcTuRe - 87/56 Proffesor
Fracture. - 77/47 Hunter
.Fracture. - 12/1 Thief
FraCturE - 12/1 Swordie
FrAcTuReD - 12/1 Acolyte
STOP CAST INTERRUPTING MY MEMORIZE.
06-03-2009 01:07 AM
BlueAlchemy Offline

I only like dubs if the voice acting is good and similar to the subbed version. Although sometimes when I watched subbed movies, I come across subtitles that just make no sense or logic. Never the less thats quite rare.

Best example I can come across is Full metal alchemist, in the subbed version there seemed to be dialouge that just didn't seem to make sense, but when I came across the dubbed version on TV, the translations were kinda altered, but seemed to fit what I read on the subbed version quite well. No censoring, no concealed story, no nothing.

All in all, I'm neutral with both, I'll watch any show dubbed or subbed as long as its decent and it doesn't make your ears bleed or leave you with tons of question marks over your head.

Characters:
Zraxus (main) Creator
Brave Sir Robin    Bard
Inigo   Crusader
VixPaladin  (for gods sake I'm a priest not a paladin)
Check out my store!
06-03-2009 02:27 AM
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

RE:??Dubs vs Subs

The Legendary Joe Wrote:I used to like dubs, but now that I've seen Subs, they tend to annoy me.

The voice actors either don't really fit, or they mess up with translations or Pronounciations of the names are messed up or changed altogether, and it really sorta ruins it.

Still, the Dub of Ranma 1/2??makes me lol when I watch??Naruto.

Kuno's Ninja was also??named Sasuke
Pronounced??SAH-SOO-KAY in Ranma's English dub.

But overall I prefer the subs. American Voice actors don't really know how to yell and make it sound convincing =/

Ranma 1/2 is one of those rare series where I find the Dub equals the Japanese audio track, because I think they actually had good talent, (and for 7 seasons, 3 movies, several OVAs, and a buncha i-dun-know-whats, wow....)
the voice actors developed their characters a lot better than some common us-talent given a script and told to read to a mic.

I made it a point to watch Ranma in 3 languages (US dub, Japanese audio with subs, and Cantonese Audio - i'm chinese of cantonese origin - i'm glad to say Shampoo's off-mandarin accent is least noticeable in the 3rd)

Now i could sit here all day long and chatter to you about Ranma 1/2, but that's not what this thread is about.

In the stand of Dubs vs Sub, 99% of the time I have to give it to Subs. For reasons said above: censors are sheepish, us actors are less-talented, us voice delivery is comparatively deadpan, -in the case of ranma 1/2 shampoo's accent *shudder* but that's just a personal issue-

Subs.

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
06-03-2009 02:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Riverl Offline
Poring knight :3

I'm in favor of sub,but I dont really hate dub as I used to

Original form of a cultural produce is always the best, movie, book, cartoon, anything will be best enjoy in its original language, since translation will always make it lose something. Japanese animes were made for Japanese voice first and foremost, so they are often superior if not always. No1

In defend of dub, some of them really pulled out the character, and deliver what could be call a good alternate for the Japanese voice, which mean, obviously, that if they were worked on seriously, dub can be good. The most satisfactory one I've encounter is actually a game, Xenosaga, I like Kosmos English voice, she really managed to make me feel the character. Also Gravion Zwel dual audio version has some nice English voices, and the translated version of the maids' song was surprisingly fit, there's a few more, but I cant really recall Icon_biggrin

Well, in the end, I'll always go for sub first, and only try dub to amuse myself, though
Why? Yeah, dub have good ones too, but I dont want to take a chance about the voice department when I can just watch sub and only have to worry if the other stuff like story, characters were good. Thinking

And no, they dont sell anime DVD over here at my place, and license only kid shows (the educator and government here think kissing in a manga with "for 17 and above only" on it cover is immoral, bad bad bad and should be censored, which obviously mean those for teen and above will never be licensed here until this change /pifIcon_wink, so I'm not really hurting anyone's purse... may be Thinking

On a side note, I just watch the dual audio of Maburaho... God did my ear bleed, the main character was a bland, meek and gentle student and kind of lacking in confidence, but the English voice was by no mean convincing when he said he was nothing special, because the voice was macho macho and mono mono Mad

[Image: 02bwaeu8.png]
Poring obsessed knight 87/54
Poring dancing on a stick 72/??
All hail da porings X3
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2009 01:37 AM by Riverl.)
06-03-2009 07:29 AM
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

The only other scenario when you want to watch it dub is because it is so bad that it is hilarious~

06-03-2009 03:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply