Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Twilight bashing
ROfan Offline

Twilight bashing

Anybody who is involved with the world of anime in anyway can already say that the concept of vampires isn't new or revolutionary in any way. Even in literature the allure of the vampiric fantasy isn't new. So why is twilight so god damn popular. Mainly because no one before was so daring enough to actually write something combining so many elements of generic tween based fantasies together. I mean the only way this book is original in any way is that its boldly defies any attempt at being original at all. Instead it foolheartedly declares its place in the pinnacle of every conforming tools fantasy of being in a very limited, poorly written world of angst where they are the sun and every and all actions focus priorly on them. Seriously the audacity of Stephanie Meyers to write this must be astronomical. But I guess if the secret to profit (which it seems it is) is who can conform the most she totally got that down.
06-05-2009 11:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kadar Offline
Cheese is WoE

RE: Twilight bashing

ROfan Wrote:Anybody who is involved with the world of anime in anyway can already say that the concept of vampires isn't new or revolutionary in any way. Even in literature the allure of the vampiric fantasy isn't new. So why is twilight so god damn popular. Mainly because no one before was so daring enough to actually write something combining so many elements of generic tween based fantasies together. I mean the only way this book is original in any way is that its boldly defies any attempt at being original at all. Instead it foolheartedly declares its place in the pinnacle of every conforming tools fantasy of being in a very limited, poorly written world of angst where they are the sun and every and all actions focus priorly on them. Seriously the audacity of Stephanie Meyers to write this must be astronomical. But I guess if the secret to profit (which it seems it is) is who can conform the most she totally got that down.
tldr;
it's everything that's wrong with teen fiction.

there, I just saved you some reading time

on another note we need a literature section.

[Image: combinedoodlesigiq6.gif][Image: siromafinished1ln0.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2009 11:53 PM by Kadar.)
06-05-2009 11:51 PM
Cheesecake Offline
The Tasty Trap

It's okay, but it's nothing to write home about.

[Image: 35iqbyd.png]
Cheesecake 93/99 SuperNovice | Hell 7x/4x Hybrid Hunter
Milkshake 7x/4x Knight | Lein 7x/4x Priest | Mystia 8x/5x Monk

06-06-2009 12:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

I picked this book up because of the hype, I have not seen the movie, cause I wanted to give the storyline a decent chance to grab me b4 seeing the movie interpretation.

Suffice to say life time and the universe kept me from ever getting past the first few chapters, so i know the setting but not really the conflict yet.

It seems to do its job really well.

What you're saying is as if we're not supposed to like a new Harry Potter film because its the umpteenth harry potter film. Which makes no sense, if its good its good. So what if its been done to media death. Entertainment always draws on history and past performances.

We call something original once we forget that its been done before 8O

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
06-06-2009 01:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
danny-kins Offline
Meteorologist Intern

RE:??Twilight bashing

Kadar Wrote:it's everything that's wrong with teen fiction.

on another note we need a literature section.??

Ehh... I couldn't force myself to finish it myself, but to each their own *shrug*

And we do need a literature section. Fr srs.

[Image: at4ej96]
06-06-2009 08:14 PM
ROfan Offline

RE:??Twilight bashing

[quote=Kadar]
tldr;
it's everything that's wrong with teen fiction.

on another note we need a literature section.?
[quote]

Umm k, I didn't even mentioned teen fiction, because no matter what category a book falls in a majority of the time it does something to stand out even a little bit or is at least well written unlike twilight. If you're going to subjugate a whole genre go ahead but do it somewhere else. I tend to avoid a genre debate mainly due to the fact its a personal opinion sort of thing. This is a bashing of a book, even though I have a hard time even considering it a book.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2009 10:57 PM by ROfan.)
06-06-2009 10:21 PM
varee Offline

Twilight's fantasies are very appealing to the little girls, but it is also sending all the wrong messages LIKE AS IF IT IS TOTALLY COOL TO GET STALKED.

I found a really ...eye-opening video of Buffy vs Edward Cullen>
Buffy vs Edward (Twilight Remixed)
*so creepy*

Written Description: WATCH ON YOUTUBE TO COMMENT - user/rebelliouspixels--- In this remixed narrative, Edward Cullen from the Twilight Series meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer at Sunnydale High. It's an example of transformative storytelling serving as a pro-feminist visual critique of Edward's character and generally creepy behavior. Seen through Buffy's eyes some of the more patriarchal gender roles and sexist Hollywood themes embedded in the Twilight saga are exposed in hilarious ways.--- This transformative work constitutes a fair-use of any copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US copyright law. The remix is licensed under a creative commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license --- You can now download an ipod/iphone version, 3gp cell phone version and a large take home version of the Buffy vs Edward remix at rebelliouspixels.com

a timid young lady named jane
found parties a terrible strain;
with movements uncertain
she'd hide in a curtain
and make sounds like a rabbit in pain
-Edward Gorey
06-25-2009 12:14 PM
JJJ Offline
JJJ

lol i like the general romatic story line, but i dislike how it totally killed the classic image of vampires.....

over all i'd give it like a 6/10 not the best but at least it's something to read

*thats about the biggest bash i can do*

[Image: SignatureVersion22.png][Image: Liffinished-1-1.png]
I Love To Help So If You Ever Need Something Feel Free To PM Me ^_^
06-25-2009 02:46 PM
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

I love the Twilight series.??I'm reading it for the second time right now and am half-way through New Moon.??=3

I haven't seen the movies and I'm reluctant to do so because movies always kill the original storylines in the book.??Like, Edward didn't kill James.??He was too busy saving Bella.??Jasper and Emmet killed James.

I don't think we should narrow our minds to Bram Stokers vision of vampires.??I believe they are as open-ended as anything else in this world since they are imaginary anyway.??If Stephenie Meyer wants to write a book about a "vegetarian" vampire falling in love with a human, then so what???Even if it's horribly written (I feel it is rather well-written), she has that right.

I think it puts a modern twist on the whole thing and gives a more believable definition to what a vampire is.??Rather than some undead brute with retractable canines that can transform into a bat yet can die by being exposed to sunlight or having wood driven into its heart she gave vampires the seat above humans on the food chain.??They are exactly what something that hunts humans would be.??Swifter, stronger, with better mental advantages than humans; attractive to their prey and venomous.??Yet, they technically are undead so they don't need to breathe (although it does help in the olfactory department) or sleep, they've no heartbeat, etc.

Then there's the shapeshifters, the Quileutes.??That's a nice story there, too, and how she ties them together in the third and final books through Jacob - both the character and his first-person chapters/sections of either book.

Sure, it's full of mushy mush and mysterious girly stuff (seriously, guys don't know girls because they don't try - not saying Bella is every girl) but it has a lot of suspense, thrills, laughs, and even tender moments that would make someone with a softer heart cry (I don't cry for fictional characters =p).??The characters are well-written and you feel for them.??They have depth.??They're not the well-endowed bimbo running upstairs where there's no exit as the sadistic psycho slowly trudges behind her and you're on the edge of your seat waiting to see how he takes her out.

I think you should all give it a shot.

I found this book in my mom's apartment after she died.??It had a neat cover (this was long before the movies) and title.??I thought it might be a good read.??I read the preface and shoved it in the back of my closet due to the cheesiness ("...Dying in the presence of someone I loved..." "...As the killer sauntered forward to kill me" or something like that).??When the movie started being promoted and getting a huge buzz I decided I'd read it anyway.??So, I did; and I loved it - the cheesiness wasn't as rampant as the intro made it out to be.??I ran to Wal-Mart and bought the other three books and loved them even more.

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I figured I'd put in my two cents on why Twilight doesn't deserve to be bashed.??No1

[Image: K2CmgOR.png]
07-11-2009 04:12 AM
Konkon Offline
Kitsune Assassin

Teen fantasy? My mother who is well in her fifties is absolutely enthralled with the book. ._.

I can't really bash it to munch, I know that the INSTANT I pick up one of her Twilight Novels (She's got all of them) the overwhelming urge to start a bon fire, throw them in, and announce the sweet, sweet relief of vengeance against the atrocity that is creative writing to the world, would be unbearable.

And then I'd be grounded, and fined for creating an open fire which is against environmental laws. D:

[Image: c9c32e.gif]
07-24-2009 03:25 AM