Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where did you first experience RO?
zanias Offline
It was in our own hearts, all of us.

Where did you first experience RO?

Nostalgia is killer folks. It can meen the downfall of some of our eldest and greatest players. It can also bring about surprisingly old faces and friends. It reunites us through our experiences and exploration of our new surroundings around us.
I recently joined a new guild and the conversation on original server popped up. I come from XeRO, one of the first in the private server district. It's had me thinking of my experiences with Ragnarok Online. The people I've met, and dungeons I've explored.
I remember when XeRO first tanked. That server had many internal issues. Shady GM's. Players abusing their ties to gain power in the game. After it was takin offline I moved on to other servers, following my friends IRL just to watch guild politics tear servers apart weather it was from shady GM's or not.
I first came to HeRO when I was bored one night. Looking for a new place to begin, I searched a few of my friends from XeRO. I chanced upon two of them, here on the forums. I quickly made an account logging into this game for the first time for a long time. This server was great, and still is. But when it came to me finding a new fun server none of my old friends would follow... They've had their fill, and decided to move on.
I'm left to sit here and post about my story and wonder myself what I have to show for my years playing this game. Granted I come and go as I'm sure many players do now days. I don't have a substantial character to show for my time. Many of my friends have long quit this game. Many friendships that I have lost to time away from this game.
Still I find myself coming back to play this game. Never looking for the advanced graphics. Epic movie cuts, or deep story. Lol, you go bash some porings and have a jolly time doing it! Weather you're by yourself or in a large party taking on an MvP, there's always something interesting to do. The players of this game makes it fun. The community is what attracts me to new and great servers, and this one has withstood a test of time. This will be the last server I play on, that is for sure, and I sincerely hope it stays online for many years to come so that I have something to come back to when there is nothing left to do at night.

So now, the obvious question here for everyone! ^_^ What was the first server you used to play Ragnarok Online? What were those first experiences to make this game unique, and stand out in such away that has kept you coming back for more of the years?

[Image: 30086811_2135620823427028_3680913343494750208_n.jpg]
07-21-2009 06:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Yetipunk Offline

RE: Where did you first experience RO?

iRO beta testing.??Then i went to some other servers, xero being one of them.. (still talk to wanderer) After xero was hero of course, what was your name panda, started with an R right???i remember you in woe you crazy high wiz...??that funny french guild. Icon_smile??I later remade xero but then gave it to kuri and it died. hehe. why the hell I logged in today I really don't know.??I havn't played a video game yet this year. It's great to see this server is still doing nicely.

edit: damn, october 2005. coming up on 4 years.

coocoocachoo
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2009 03:05 PM by Yetipunk.)
07-21-2009 03:02 PM
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

My first server was one in which I forget the name.??It was run by one who called himself Watashiwa - Wata to his peers.??He was a tyrant.??He made a friend of mine walk around town repeating, "HEIL HITLER!" so he wouldn't ban her for something stupid.??I forget what he was going to ban her for, but it was extremely juvenile.??I think she said something derogatory about Watashiwa.??He had a patriot act kind of thing; say something bad about him and reap it.

He once STFU'ed (that's what I call the GM "silence" command =p ) me for asking him if I could ask him a question.??He banned a guy for being 35 years old.??One time he spawned a bunch of guardians in Pront and laughed when they killed everyone then refused to res anyone.??Lady Luck was reprogrammed to sing the praises of Watashiwa and ended the extolment with "That means you owe wata blowjobs.??:o"

I hopped on after endless recommendations from my friend, Tom (aka, Akumahh, Gilgamesh, plus others).??He was always trying to sell it to my girlfriend of the time, Shanna, and me.??I finally decided to join when he hopped on MSN laughing his ass off because our friend Abe died at the, umm, appendages? of a whisper, but the whisper wouldn't leave so Tom could revive Abe.??So, Abe just lied there having a one-sided conversation with the whisper.??When I asked him how I killed Abe and informed him Abe and I weren't having a convo at the moment (I've been Whispers for at least eleven years.??It actually started as "Whispers from the Abyss," but people always complained of the length) he explained the situation which piqued my interest.

I've been on more servers than just Watashiwa's and XeRO, but I forget the names.??I tried one or two of the high-rate servers.??Those were fun as I've never had a legitimate character over level 90.??I should really ask Abe if he remembers the names of 'em as he, Tom, and I were generally always on the same server until they left RO for Gunbound.

I'm glad RO is such a good game.??Otherwise Watashiwa's horrid GM'ing would have blinded me to RO forever.??Ok

[Image: K2CmgOR.png]
07-21-2009 04:07 PM
zanias Offline

So Panda was a part of that French guild? I remember calling it LCS. I remember LCS, Hokuten, and Godlike. They were teh power guilds. Lol I must have lvld 50 times in payon cave on that server before realizing that there was more to the game. I couldn't get through the whole cave so I was set on lvling up so I could explore deeper. My friend Justin was shocked that I spent the whole time down there. he toured me Prontera, Izlude, and Payon, and then left me to it, so I was happy to grind away in a cave for a couple weeks x_x

Hey Whispers. Does your friend Tom still play rag? There's a GM for pcro that's named Tom, that'd be coincidence anda half. Heh, I've kept Zanias as my name on RO the whole time. Never one to change, always playing the knight too. Kind of my net ID for a while there.

OH, wow, lol... what ever happened to the jig dog?

07-21-2009 10:34 PM
Galt Offline
Lurker

Hmm, I'm curious... isn't this sort of against the "no server advertising" rule?

Of course, I think that's out of the question if this RO of which you speak of is dead.

Randomly materializing within heRO since 2008.

Hi, I copy and paste profound and meaningful quotes without having an iota's worth of what it actually means!
07-21-2009 10:36 PM
zanias Offline

Lol, these are servers long dead. Back when you used to use a proxy to even download the game. XeRO died by 05. I have no idea about watashiwa, but I'm going to gamble on it being dead as well. Another old server out there, which died by 04 (which is why XeRO took off at the time) Was PillowsRO, but I never played on that one. pcRO, the server isn't gone... you can still play... but due to powerhouse guilds, and community politics everyone has quit playing there. I only see me whenever I get bored and log in, so I would consider that server dead as well.

07-21-2009 10:43 PM
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

Zanias, do you mean this jiggy doggy?

[Image: JiggyDoggy.jpg]

xD

I have so many avatars and signatures you wouldn't believe.??Linh might, though, she's always pointing it out when they change.??xp

btw, remember this av?
<------------------------
I just revamped it, finished it not but two minutes ago.??=D

The old one is SWF, so I had to create a new one in GIF from scratch.??It looks better anyway.??Ok

I'm not sure if that is him on that server.??I haven't spoken to him in forever because he hasn't been on MSN and I've no other way of getting a hold of him.??It's been a few years.??Since before Shanna and I even broke up, and Shanna was my next-to-last girlfriend from, like, four years ago.??LoL
I doubt it is him, though.??I don't see him using his real name and Akuma/Akumahh was his preference.??The two H's stand for something, but I forget.??Thinking

I remember DL'ing kRO through a proxy!??xD??That was so freakin' long ago!??LoL??I completely forgot about that until you mentioned it.??I also remember something about Pillows.??Not sure if I played there or just heard/read mention.??Thinking

Finally, yes, it is against the rules to speak of other unofficial servers though they may be long dead.??I honestly have no idea why.??Sure, I can see something against advertising for them, but what if you left a server because it was horrible and you mention the name???That's not good publicity for it.??Also, if the server's dead why bar its name???In any case a rule doesn't have to make sense to get in trouble for breaking it.??Ok

No GM has broken in telling us to cease and desist, though, so I think we're good for now.??No1

07-21-2009 11:23 PM
zanias Offline

Yeah, taht's the jiggy doggy *save*

I do remember the Yoyo, the old one is what brought that memory back to me. The new gif form is much more nice.

You're prolly right about Tom, You would know. I didn't know Akuma aside from seeing his name here and there.

Glad I could remind you of those horrid proxies Icon_wink I remember spending literally weekends downloading rag. The worst part was sometimes the download would be bad and rag would error at about 98% of it's install. x_x

And yes, I guess you're right, which kinda makes this thread against those rules. But it's not abbout creating a bad rap for those passed servers. Just sharing stories from RO Icon_wink

07-22-2009 01:32 AM
Ellie Offline
Bittersweet

Pretty sure it is no other server names, current or dead. *picks own brain*

Doubt any knew of my first server. I stayed there for over 3 years, but it suffered at one stage from a corrupt GM who got caught, then quit, taking half the server with him.
Fun drama.

Had a lot of little, fun, inside joke sort of stuff.
Like why the ingame cursors were greeeen.

Inasad
stop doing dickers
07-22-2009 02:42 AM
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

The Jiggy Doggy is a frame from the comic Squee! by Jhonen Vasquez - the guy who created Invader Zim.??He also created the comic Johnny the Homicidal Manic (or JTHM for short) in which Squee was a character.??He then made four Squee! comics, then collected them into Squee's Wonderful Big Giant Book of Unspeakable Horrors which is where I got the image from.??My friend had it and I stole it (not literally, of course), scanned it page-for-page, and returned it.??Now I can read it whenever I want!??=D

This was, like...Umm...I think I was in high school.??LoL??But, I still have them... On my computer which is in pawn... >_>

I was actually thinking of the DL fails right before you mentioned them!??xD??This was in the days when 56k was the norm.??Hooray for AOL.??Like you said, it'd take a weekend to DL RO.??I remember having it on a DL manager that would sometimes be unable to resume.??Sweat

Then, when it did resume for once and was almost done it'd just fail.??Kaput.??Cry

What was worse, though, was when you did get it all downloaded and started installing it - following the online guides showing you which buttons in Korean to click - it would fail because it was a corrupt install file.??That was a fail.??Epic Fail.??Oh My God

What was hilarious was that not everything was translated yet so most of the Kafra's spoke Korean.??You didn't know which button to click - what option to choose!??Laugh

I'm creating a bad rap for those passed servers.??Someone needs to.??omg, there was this one server I played on called HeRO - have you heard of it???Anyway, I join this server, download all of their files and do the updates and when I finally get on everyone is nice and helpful.??I'm like "wtf?"??Where do these people get off being kind and considerate, you know???It's disgusting and it's people like that who just make me wanna take a little girl's jar of lightning bugs she'd just caught and throw it on the ground.??Shake it up and just spike it.??Then squish them all like they were cigarettes.??It's infuriating when people are so amiable.??D:

Laugh

07-22-2009 02:45 AM