Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Beliefs
Zerrif Offline
One of Many

RE: Beliefs

OOC: I know this conflict is dragging on, but I wanted to develop on Bascht a lot more. Still leaving questions unanswered, though n.n

---

"I can't keep her at bay like this... she sees my spells coming in too early. But too close and she's too deadly, I can't keep up with her..." Bascht thought to himself, firing off another Fire Ball, and placing a Fire Wall knowing that the Star Gladiator would come around it, trying to get in close. "I don't know what to do. There's no hope--"

He stopped moving as the Star Gladiator disappeared from his sight yet again.

---

"Tell me, Master, why are you doing this?!" A much younger Bascht said, in frustration. Before him stood a wizard, and they stood in an empty duelling chamber. The young Mage was sweating and had various scalds all over his body, the Wizard standing untouched.

"Tell me, Bascht. What have you learned from me?" The Wizard spoke, coldly. "I have taught you many things about Magic, the world itself, and how the two intertwine. You are not an idiot. I do not take stupid pupils." He raised his hand to the sky, opening his palm. The Mage stepped back, falling to the ground.

"M-Master! Wh-why?!" He shouted again, but the Wizard was now chanting under his breath. He saw an enormous magic circle appear on the ground around him, and he felt too frozen to move.

"You have failed me, Bascht. Now choose. Life, or death?" The Wizard mumbled, returning to his chanting. "I summon the greatest, Divine Judgement of the Gods themselves! Heed my call, those in the Other Plane, let loose thy furious bolts of rage! Lord Of--"

"A-aahh--AAAAAGH!!" Bascht said, balling up a fist. In his panic, he punched forth at the Wizard, shutting his eyes. "N-Napalm Beat!" He shouted, as he felt a small surge of magical energy leave his fist, flying straight at the Wizard. He heard the ethereal "thwack" as he attacked his teacher's soul directly.

"Is that how you see it? Will you walk into the darkness, with your eyes shut? Are you afraid?" No response. The Mage's heavy breathing filled the room, the magical circle soon leaving. "... Begone from my sight."

---

"Axe Kick!!" came the cry as Bascht snapped back into his senses, looking over his left shoulder. A foot came whirling down and out of sheer reaction, he ducked to the side. He wasn't quick enough, though, feeling the force of a weighted hammer slamming straight down upon his arm. "Bah! You're quick, and lucky too. I should have dislocated that arm--"

Dear god, it felt like it. Bascht toppled over to the side, barely keeping himself on his feet. His chest started caving in, and pain shot through him arm making it feel like it had been dislocated-- but painful movement told him that the nerves were still connected.

He felt his stomach wretch, and he nearly doubled over, bending over and letting his stomach loose on the ground. The extreme amount of pain through his body should have knocked him out, sent his mind reeling from the sheer overload and shock; but he was painfully awake.

Because he had been hurt. That simple though, that image of D being kicked so severely kept replaying in his mind, kept him awake. It kept him wanting to see her face broken, bloodied-- mangled to the point where she'd never think of--

"Axe--" She started, and he glared daggers over at her, still bent over. He pressed his foot forward, taking his unhurt arm, and curling the hand into a fist. He glared at her and raised his painful left arm, blocking the kick. The further shock made his vision go blurry, but the only thing that was sharp and focused was her outline.

"NAPALM BEAT!" He shouted, thrusting his fist forward into her stomach. Not only did the physical strike, but the further shot of energy made her cough over his shoulder. And with one leg blocked, and kept in the air, she could barely block. He wasn't done here, however. No, he was far from finished with her.

He shrugged his pained shoulder, throwing her off balance, and stepping in again. His free hand opened up into a palm, and he muttered something under his breath, sending his own spiritual energy into that very palm. Five pure balls of energy flowed out at a high velocity, striking her in the exact spot that he'd punched just before. "SOUL STRIKE!" His voice boomed, echoing through the trees.

He knew she could feel pain, now. Adrenaline was surging through him, making him ignore what he felt. He stepped in further, relentless bile now coursing through his veins. He gripped her by the hair, and then placed his gloved, painful palm against her face. That greenish-yellow rectangle began to glow, and her eyes widened.

"Wh-what... c-card--" She barely strugged out, but Bascht tugged her hair so painful, it made her yelp and shriek.

"Not laughing now, are you? ARE YOU? He shouted, crushingly curling his hand around her face. She yelled again, and the card glowed brighter. "I-I'll kill you! DO YOU HEAR ME? YOU'RE DEAD!" He screamed, tapping the power of that card in his glove. "Maaagnuuum--"

"Bascht!" Came a familiar cry from behind. He looked over his shoulder to see Gerik and Muarim standing there, D's arms over their shoulders to help him stand. The maliciousness fell from his gaze as relief filled him, just happy to see that he was okay. "It's enough. Let her go."

He stared back at the Star Gladiator. A part of him wanted to end this. To finish it. But she was already tearing, blood from her nose and mouth mixing with it as it dripped off her chin. He let out a disgusted "tch", and just threw her to the side, the female just crumpled on the ground, sobbing. Having been so close to actual death--

He stepped back toward the group, and just took the mask as it was offered to him. He shook his head, before he fell forward at the Blacksmith, who barely caught him all things considered. "D-D... I-I'm..." He mumbled, starting to cry.

"It's... okay." D mumbled, as they stared up at the now fallen Gladiator. At that point, she was beginning to be circled by the Roween, and the Galion she had summoned. "Let's get out of here."

"Yeah..." Gerik said, leaving D to the other Merchant, and hoisting Bascht's arm and weight onto himself. "We need to get away. Rest up. Payon can wait."

Gerik - Some noob Battle High Priest
Shichiro - Some noob AD
Muarim - Some noob smith

I'm just a noob.

[Image: TeaCyber.jpg]
[Image: Proto.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2009 07:41 PM by Zerrif.)
09-29-2009 07:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zerrif Offline
One of Many

"Hey isn't that the kid..."

"Who got abandoned by Master Sh--"

"I can hear you, you know? Do you honestly lack the gall to say it out loud to my face?" Bascht glared at two upper-year students, catching them off guard.

"No, I don't. You're a worthless, good-for-nothing waste of magical energy. I'm surprised you're still here."

---

"M-Mother... th-they said..."

"It's... alright dear. Shhh... calm down, okay?"

"ALRIGHT? How is this ALRIGHT? He has been abandoned by his TEACHER, Lina. I... this family... this name! We are respected, accomplished Wizards and Sages! This is a tarnish!"

"This is your SON, Grant. Your son. Despite whether or not he's still your flesh and blood!"

"You're dead to me. Do you hear me? Your brothers and I are more than just DISAPPOINTED at you. Begone from my sight!"

"Grant, no--!"

"QUIET, LISE! THIS IS MY DECISION, AS MAN OF THE HOUSE. LEAVE!"

---

"Waaaaaaagh!" Bascht cried, suddenly waking up from his nightmare, eyes shooting open. He knew he was awake, but the world was black. So dark, it was like-- Was that a hand on his arm? Two hands, on each arm. He let forth another cry, and tried to flail-- but his body was in so much pain right now, it barely responded.

"Bascht... B, love, calm down..." Came D's familiar voice to his side. He could hear himself panting, and looked around. Where? Where was he? His breaths grew more panicked, before he realized it was being blown back on himself. He looked side to side, then up-- to see small slits of light.

He reached up, casually pulling the mask down so he could see out again. It must have slid up on his face at some point. He looked over to see the Blacksmith-- half-clothed, though bandages were wrapped around his shoulder and side. Various cuts and scrapes adorned the muscled build, and he gulped. "See? Everything's okay." D said, a warm smile appearing on his face.

"I'm sorry about that." Gerik said, from the opposite side. Bascht looked over, to see the Acolyte knelt beside him. "I was taught that Healing spells were more effective if I applied all the energies into certain areas-- pressure points if you will. Targeting major arteries and veins, muscles, and organs in the body can increase metabolism and regeneration. I must have prodded somewhere sore to wake you up like that."

"I-It's..." Bascht said, his voice croaking slightly. "It's nothing. Where... are we?" He asked, trying to sit up. He could feel D's hand softly on his chest, pushing him back down-- then again, his body didn't seem to want him to sit up anyway. That's when he realized that he too was stripped half-naked, laying back on his coat and robe. He felt oddly warm even though he was exposed, and he heard the crackling of a fire nearby.

"We're in a clearing somewhat east of Payon." He heard another voice. That Merchant... Muarim, right? "We left that Star Gladiator where you'd left her and..." The green-haired one trailed off. "We're just resting up until we're all healed, and good enough to go to Payon to rest properly."

It was at that moment, that Bascht noticed Gerik tip to the side slightly, stopping himself by shooting an arm to the ground, gripping at his head. "You're exhausted, Gerik. Go on and rest. You've done a lot for all of us, already." D said, but the Mage saw the Acolyte shake his head.

"I'll be fine... I've been through worse than this. I helped Heal Prontera through a pandemic, a massive outbreak of sickness. Healing 3 people should be fine. Besides--" The Acolyte straightened himself up again, hovering his hands over the Mage. "You and Muarim were fine. You two seem to be very quick on your feet. I'm worried about--"

Bascht himself seemed surprised when he realized his hand shot up, holding onto Gerik's wrist. "Just don't... kill yourself." He mumbled, before D casually took his arm and lay it across his body. The Acolyte shot him a warm smile, before he closed his eyes, and began to chant a Healing Mantra.

The feeling was a mix of exquisite, and alien to the Mage. It wasn't like he hadn't been Healed before, but now that he was fully aware, and concentrating solely on it, it just felt... weird. He could feel each pulse of the green light as it bathed over him in waves, his body feeling re-energized and bolstered, although painful, and weak at the very same time.

"I'm gonna go get more firewood so this lasts through the night." He heard Muarim say. D nodded, and stood up too, stretching out despite the pain in his neck and upper torso, where he'd been mercilessly kicked hours ago. They had left their carts back where they had first been jumped, which both Merchants could feel a slight tinge of regret inside, leaving loot and goods out in the open like that; though that was the least of their worries at that moment. The two of them stalked off into the darkness, going to find more tinder.

"Gerik..." Bascht mumbled, amidst the Healing. He felt the pulses slowly die off, as he looked up, the Acolyte not saying anything, but looking back with his attention on the Mage. "Listen... about earlier..."

"It's alright." Gerik interjected, though the Mage shook his head.

"When I was little... I was very bright." The Mage said, continuing on even though the Acolyte had said otherwise. "I wasn't the smartest, nor the hardest working-- but I had that natural talent for Magic. It ran through me like my parents' blood. I was enrolled in the Academy, and eagerly learned about the world, and about Magic; how the two coexisted, and worked together.

"By the time I had passed the Mage exam, people could tell there was promise within me. Like my siblings, I sought guidance from a sole mentor, someone to teach me further in the arts of sorcery. I enlisted under a well-pronounced, and a very powerful Wizard. He taught me a great deal of things, from the uses of my Magic, to lessons about life itself. But... I couldn't comprehend one lesson he had to teach me.

"He asked me once, if the pursuit of magic was worth more than life itself. If learning under him meant everything to me, would I die for him? Would I follow this undying thirst of knowledge to the very ends of the earth, searching for a drink that could never fulfill me? I began to ask myself if I could, and I doubted myself. When I told him that I was afraid to die, when I would rather life over power itself... he threatened my very life. I... didn't know what to do. I was scared then, and so I betrayed him, stopping his incantation.

"After that, I was no longer his pupil. The other students at the Academy looked down upon me, and it was soon common for people to reset me. To treat me different. Before I knew it, I was denied access to the Archives, could no longer use facilities there. Everything I ever had, that life I had clung to so dearly, was slipping away from me.

"After that, my father soon threw me out of his house. He renounced me ever having the same name as he did, and everything had been taken away from me. Posessions, friends, my whole life... gone because of my selfishness. I wandered around the land, with the only thing left the robes I had from the Guild, and the magic I'd learnt, as well as the spellbook and information about further magic inside. I made my way to Prontera, but people wouldn't take me into their parties because I was ill-equipped.

"I scrounged around what I could, all by myself. I was barely in the shoddiest amount of gear, when D found me by the Pronteran fountain. I was slumped against it, depressed and foul. If the world resented me... then I didn't care much for it. I shut it out, focusing instead simply on what I had left to me. My magic. When he approached me I thought he was going to make fun of me; the first thing he even pointed out was my lack of financial funding.

"Then, he just offered me a hand. And this mask. Told me that he didn't like seeing someone so down in the dumps, and that they should smile. And even when I couldn't force a smile, the Mask could. I was... afraid. Someone was being nice to me. After nearly a whole year where the world resented me someone was offering me kindness.

"The following few days, he kept meeting me there. Asked if I had a party, or anything to do. He coerced me to travel with him, going along with whatever mercantile business he had to do. He became my companion... and my first friend in a year. He was soon giving me funds, helping me get equipment. When people started asking me to be in their party... I told them I had one. I've been with him ever since."

There was silence, and Bascht looked up to see Gerik smiling. "Thank you for sharing that." the Acolyte said, and the Mage lifted his Mask. Gerik stared down at that pale face, no longer filled with hatred like it had been. Bascht had emerald green eyes, and a shy, innocent youth about him-- though he also looked matured and well-traveled. "And don't worry. You've made more than just one friend, haven't you?" Gerik asked, before reaching over and pushing two, rather large eggs beside the Mage.

"Pillow! When--" He started, and Gerik winked.

"When the fighting began, you and the other two were so lost in fighting. I returned them to their Eggs so they could be safe. We'll get Incubators in Payon, and let them run around again." He placed the Lunatic Egg beside the Mage, who wrapped an arm around it. "We'll all run around together, and have fun. Like friends are supposed to."

---

"Y'know, I'm worried, D." Muarim said, taking his load of firewood over his shoulder. Out of the four, aside from the Acolyte, he'd taken the least amount of beatings. "What did she mean when she said they were looking for us, individually?"

"Who knows?" D replied, as he cleaved through another branch. "I've got theories, but I don't know how true they are. I mean, from what I know of Bascht and Gerik, they've had pasts where it's basically been themselves alone. Maybe the Faction is trying to target people who can't run anywhere for help? Y'know, prey on the weak. Then again-- why go after you? You have people looking after you, don'tcha?" The Blacksmith asked.

Muarim froze. "Y-Yeah." He mumbled, looking away. "What if... they're trying to recruit people who are alone? Y'know, use the fact that they're alone to coerce them into a group with lies, or something. Maybe that's how they bolster their ranks." the Merchant quickly said. The Blacksmith stood, rolling his unpained shoulder around, thinking.

"Y'know, that sounds pretty good. Tell y'what; I've got contacts in Payon. While you three are checking around the dungeon, I'll do some sleuthing. We can get back together, and discuss as a group." D said, as he took branches under his arm. "For now, let's get back. We can't be sure about anything yet." The Blacksmith said, turning and starting to walk off.

Muarim hesitated. People to look after him? Well there was the Mistress and Master but... He shook his head, and made his way after D. He was right. They couldn't be sure about anything.

Yet.

Shichiro - Some noob AD
Muarim - Some noob smith

I'm just a noob.

10-01-2009 07:47 PM
Zerrif Offline
One of Many

Muarim awoke in the middle of the night, to some mumblings in the dark. When had he fallen asleep? He was supposed to be the last one on watch, and now--

"He...Heal!" He heard Gerik said, his voice sounding slightly strained. Muarim heaved out a groan as he shifted to sit up, startling the Acolyte. "O-Oh... Muar, it's okay, go back to sleep. I'll stay up... I'm not finished tending to everyone." Gerik said. The Merchant then noticed that he was knelt besides Sinadrin, the Mage all wrapped up to the side.

"Don't forget to get some rest too." Muarim mumbled, before he lay back down on his side. Gerik smiled lightly in the dark, though his face was showing visible strain already. He just turned his gaze back to the resting Blacksmith, and raised his hands.

"Heal!"

---

"Mistress, what's--"

"It's a good luck charm. Just keep it." Outstretched from the Priestess' hand was a small leaf, though the main stem of it was hollowed out to make a sort of whistle. "If you're ever in trouble, whistle that. It's said that help will come to you if you blow."

"But... won't you always be there? Or the Master?"

"Not always. You have to learn to stand on your own two feet. That doesn't mean you can't have help-- that's why that whistle is there. But you need to be able to do things for yourself at times."

"But I..."

"You're never alone, but you need to do things alone. Do you understand?" He didn't want to say no. Instead, he just nodded. "Don't worry. This is a vacation for you, isn't it? Some time off? Go have some fun."

---

"Gerik, are you feeling alright?" Muarim asked, as the group had begun walking through the forest. They were going rather slow and careful, wary of any further attacks or harassment from the DBF-- though there was no sign of them. The Acolyte in question was wobbling slightly, and constantly shaking his head as if he was dizzy. "You don't look too good."

"I-I'll be fine." He said, though his voice was slightly shaky. "I just stayed up the whole night healing, so I'm a little tired." Everyone looked amongst themselves with slightly worried looks, though they continued on. Still, there was tension in the air because they were being so cautious. "Besides... Payon's just a little further, right? I can--"

"Gerik you really, really don't look--" Muarim started, before what he feared, happened. The thump was barely audible, as the Acolyte keeled over-- first stopping himself on hands and knees, before he went face first into the ground. The Merchant ran up to him and dropped to his knees, propping Gerik up-- but he was already out like a light.

---

"What is this? Are you joking me?" A hand smacked away the tray that he was carrying, sending plates crashing down to the ground. The shatter rang through the rather large dining area, then the scraping of a chair. "You call this food? This is disgusting! You've ruined my dinner you little wretch, I hope you're happy. The only food you'll get tonight is what you can scrape off the ground."

He bit back a whine as the master of the estate stood up, and stormed out of the hall. Other servants came in, stared at the food, then stared at him. They didn't say anything, and just left him to clean up the mess that he'd made. He didn't really know what to do-- he was barely twelve, and already he was being deemed a failure.

"Why are you stupid, Muar?" He said, once they too had gone. He knelt down in front of the food, his stomach rumbling as he stared at the wasted scraps. "... You should not have tried to cook... you should not have tried to serve it..." His stomach rumbled louder, when he noticed two feet standing in front of the spilled food with him. He looked up to see one of the Head Maids smiling down at him, a small loaf of bread in her hands. "Miss--"

"Shhh, love come on." She said, holding out the bread. "It won't do the slaves any good if they starve, hm? Eat up, and come on. Let's get this cleaned up before the family comes to eat, hm?" He hesitated in taking the bread at first, though his stomach nearly roared and he snatched the bread, starting to devour it. The Head Maid just chuckled to herself, hands on her hips and shaking her head. "Really Muarim, what are we to do with you? Ever since you came into service... why, I don't know what you want to do."

"I just..." He said, amidst biting the bread. "I just wanna see people happy." He looked up at the Head Maid, smiling with crumbs on his mouth. "I'm sorry. Let's clean this up. I still have other chores to do around the Manse."

---

"Mmh..." Gerik groaned, his eyes opening to meet ceiling, and not ground. There was a weight on his body and he looked down his form, seeing Muarim asleep with his head across his stomach. He just grinned, reaching down and running his fingers through the Merchant's hair, which made him suddenly bolt upright.

"AAAH-- Sorry I'll--" Muarim started, though he stared around. He blinked a couple times, before he stared down at Gerik. "Uhh... dream, sorry." He blushed a little, and rubbed his eyes. "We're in Payon though. A group of Archers on their way back from hunting found us. Helped us bring you back, and now we're here." He said, standing up. "Bascht and D got the other room, though I think D went off to go do whatever he had do. We were

just waiting for you to get better, really, and then we were going to head out to the caves. "I... see." Gerik said, sitting himself up against the wall. The bed was in the very corner of a homely room, furnished but not extravagantly. It was more functional than it was for show, but he couldn't even care. "Where in Payon are we?"

"We're in the Archer Village. Just in front of the dungeon. I already went out and stocked up on everything that we'd possibly need. Seems the Kafra learned a new trick-- they were able to warp my cart back with everything that was left in it. D's too. "As I said, we were just waiting on you. How're you feeling?"

Gerik raised his hand, placing his palm to his face. His vision was painfully sharp, and he had a major headache-- just the regular symptoms of someone who had extended themselves far beyond their mental capabilities. "I'm fine, I think. We'll be able to look around by the end of today." He said, looking back at the Merchant. He noticed,

behind the Merchant and against the wall, his Guard and Mace propped up against the wall, his Beloved Ninetail Egg beside it. He let out a small smile, and shifted in the bed. "Well if you're good and raring to go, let's see what we can do about a guide in the caves. I started asking around and it seems that the problem isn't so much a fluctuation of the numbers of undead, but moreso that the stronger ones are coming up to the surface, for some reason. It's just being a big problem for the newer adventurers, and there aren't many people able to police it." Muarim stood up and stretched his arms out wide; Gerik noticed then that the Merchant's hair was down. No longer in its regular ponytail, he noticed just how much he had, and how compact the ponytail had to be. It looked like a mane on a tiger or lion, rather than just hair.

At that moment, there was a knock on the door. "Come in." Gerik said, and the door opened to reveal Bascht standing there. He already seemed geared and ready for adventure, as if he had been listening at the door. "Should we ask for a guide? I don't know if any of us know the caves real well." The Acolyte stated, as the Mage closed the door behind him, and walked in. "I heard that the dungeon is very much like a maze."

"That's what D said too." The masked flower piped in, coughing lightly behind his mask. "I took the liberty of asking if any of the Archers around here were able to guide us around, but no luck. Any that were free to help police the caves are already inside. We'll just have to get lucky, and hopefully meet up with one." He looked over at Muarim, and just nodded a greeting.

"Well, that settles it! Let's get going." Muarim clapped his hands together, smiling widely. "Boy, I can't wait to start restocking those guys in there-- I'm gonna make a fortune!"

---

"Double Strafing!" A cry echoed through the dimly lit caves, twin Holy Arrows flying through the darkness. They pierced their target at the very end of the passage, some sort of low groan heard before there was a thump. The Archer who fired hopped a few steps back, arrows jutting into the ground right where he'd been standing.

"Goddamn, archers now too? Where the hell are they all coming from? This is--" His ranting was cut off, as a loud roar echoed through the cavern. The arrows he had nocked dropped to the ground, and he blinked. A roar? And he knew that one so well...

But what was a Tendrillion doing in these caverns?

Shichiro - Some noob AD
Muarim - Some noob smith

I'm just a noob.

10-06-2009 07:24 PM
Zerrif Offline
One of Many

OOC: First "cameo appearance" of some friends of mine! I have a lot of these planned. :3.

Also: I need more dark allegiance characters for a cameo later on. So if you're dark and interested, hit me up in game.

---

"G-Get away! There's-- in the caves-- it's--!! Too strong, aaagh!" Cried some adventurers, in the middle of dashing out of the cave. They ran right past Gerik, Bascht, and Muarim-- who looked at each other with worried looks. True, they had been told that monsters from the second and third floors of the dungeon were coming up to the first-- but that wasn't THAT big of a worry, was it? The party that ran past them seemed at least more
capable than they did, in dispatching the monsters found deeper within Payon. So why run away?

"Come on." Gerik said, snapping them out of their worried reveries. "Let's go inside. We're not accomplishing anything just standing around." Bascht nodded, following the Acolyte into the darkness, but Muarim hesitated for a second.

Something really wasn't right here...

---

"Hey D! How've you been doing?" The Payon Blacksmith said, as the traveling one entered his store. The blond looked around at the store with a sort of furtive glance, heading right to the other. Outstretched was a slip of paper, which the Payon resident happily took, and nodded. "Thanks, mate. Another order from the guild, I see. I'll be sure to get this one done as soon as possible. Anything I can getcha?"

"Actually..." D said, looking around again. He noticed a few people in the corner that seemed kind of... shady. They had been talking amongst themselves and eying him the whole time since he'd entered. "Yeah... was wondering if you had any extra Oridecons I could buy? Or some extra materials in the back I could take a look at?" He asked, casually.

The Blacksmith caught on, and nodded. "Yeah, sure, come into the back. I've got some stuff that you can take for the right amount of cash." He lied, leading D into the back. The blond shot the group in the corner another side glance before they left, and he felt a shiver crawl up his spine.

Something really wasn't right here...

---

"Oh god... we're getting mauled down here!" An Archer cried, as yet another was easily overrun by the Tendrillion. It had made its way up to near the first level of the dungeon at this point, and the weaker, less experienced adventurers that had come to help were being overrun. He knocked an arrow and fired it, but the beast easily sidestepped it.

"It's too fast!" Cried a Thief, as he started to turn tail and run. Before he had even taken a step back, the Tendrillion had deftly jumped in front of him, and turned around, snarling. The vines that composed its' body writhed and flared as if signaling a strike. The Thief dropped his dagger, and his legs buckled under pure fear. "Oh... oh my god--" He looked down, feeling the beast loom over him. The shadow grew on the ground as it pounced at him, flying with all its might.

"Shield Charge!" Came a cry from further up the cave. The Thief looked up to see a Shield whirling forward, striking the Tendrillion and pushing it further into the cave. He didn't need to be told twice about getting up, and running again. He scooped up his dagger and scampered-- running past a rider on a Peco Peco. He stopped to say thanks, but the Crusader just shoved him aside. "Run. Thanks later." He said, sternly. His voice was a clear, commanding baritone.

"Go on, dear. We'll handle things here." Came a soft, serene, female voice. A priestess stepped out of the shadows, dressed in a light purple robe and dark purple tights. Her long, pink hair was held in an elegant ponytail, and held still by a Maiden's Hat that sat on an angle of her head. She nodded at the Crusader, before quickly endowing him with divine Blessings and Increased Agility. "Shall we, love?"

"And hey--" Came a third voice. A wizard, dressed in pure black robes, with long, flowing black hair under a black Wizard's Hat "--If you're in need of a guild, talk to me later, kay?" He winked as the thief dashed past him, before turning his attention. "Well well, what've we got here? A big, untamed kitty? That won't do."

"You know..." A fourth, and final voice piped in. A small Amistr came out of the darkness, the sheep-like Homunculus bounding up beside the Priestess, bleating cutely, it's tail flicking around wildly. The owner of the Homunculus soon stepped forward, dressed in a brown cape, and sporting a brown, wide-brimmed hat. "Do you really have to pitch that everywhere we go? Sometimes, it just isn't necessary."

"Enough banter." The Crusader scolded, as the Tendrillion came back into view. It let loose another menacing roar, making the small Amistr dig it's heels into the ground to avoid being reeled away by the sheer force of the sound. "It comes!"

---

Gerik stopped as the roar resounded through the caverns. His legs instantly locked up, and he froze. "What on earth was that!?" He exclaimed. He looked around, to see Muarim just as frightened. He knew that beneath the mask, too, Bascht didn't exactly look pleased to hear the roar either. That roar sounded far fiercer than anything he'd ever heard before-- he could nearly feel his heart palpitate within his chest now out of pure adrenaline.

"Do you hear that? There's sounds of fighting down that tunnel." Bascht said, point off to the side. Another roar came, and as the three turned, they were blasted with a wall of sheer sound. They looked at each other again, and nodded. "There's no turning back once we go in there."

"I didn't intend on it." Gerik replied, before he started to march into the darkness, Bascht silently following behind. Muarim hesitated again. How the hell was he so fearless? How did he just walk into danger--; the words of that Star Gladiator rang through his mind yet again.

Gerik was... alone in the world. He had no one to return to. No one waiting on him. He didn't have to go back to any place, because he didn't have a place to go back to. But that wasn't a reason to just throw away one's life! Muarim grit his teeth, and ran after the Acolyte and Mage. If he had anything to say about it, he'd make sure that he'd have a place to go back to.

---

"This thing is so bloody fast!" The Alchemist shouted, gripping the end of a potion in his hands. "Potion Pitcher!" He uncorked the top and swished it around, before lobbing it over the Crusader. The potion hit a low, overhanging stalacitite, the healing essence splashing over him.

The Crusader hopped back, glaring down from above his Peco Peco at the beast. It barely looked phased. Before he could even ready himself for another assault, the beast roared defiantly yet again. He spurred his Peco Peco forward, shield at the ready. "Endure! Reflect Shield!" He cried, giving himself the holy enchantments of defence. But as soon as he'd finished, and before his bird had placed it's talons on the ground yet again, the Tendrillion was off in a blur of green.

"Kyrie Eleison!" Came the Priestess' chant, as the Crusader looked up just a split second too late, to see the beast above him. Sharp claws raked at him, before they were hampered by the shield that she had just bestowed. Sparks of sheer magical force began to fly around, as the invisible shield shattered in a cascade of glass-like yellow, sending both the Crusader and the beast flying backwards.

"I call upon the great wrath of the Gods in the Heavens, rain down your malevolent fury upon this tortured soul!" The Wizard started chanting, a red aura appearing around him. The Alchemist pointed at the beast, sending his Amistr in yet again. While the Crusader was still stunned and reeling from the strike, the beast was already primed for another assault-- the only thing standing in its way from rending the rider asunder, was the small, yet fearless Amistr.

"Maeh~!" It bleated, as the beast came at it. The Alchemist winced as claws tore through the Homunculus rather easily, the Amistr giving a defeated "Baa" before it disappeared into thin air. The creator, however, was already encased in a pink light. "Resurrect Homunculus!" He shouted, the split second his creation had been destroyed, a fresh one soon standing in the beast's way again. "This is endless!"

"Meteor Storm!!" The wizard shouted, his voice ringing through the darkness. Glyphs appeared on the cavern ceiling, and molten chunks of rock rained down upon the beast, with deadly precision. Those that missed created large explosions of fire and threw rock around viciously. "This thing barely feels it... we're in over our heads."

"But so long as we can ensure the others get away, we've done our job." The Priestess reminded, as she quickly knelt by the Crusader. A ring on her left hand began to glow, and one of the rider's hand seemed to react in kind. She placed her hands on her heart, and shut her eyes. "I love you." She whispered, transferring some of her own energy to him, before he stood again, offering her a hand to get her on her feet. The four of them stared at the beast, who seemed to just be shaking off the effects of the meteor strike. She opened her arms out and began to sing, not relenting in her cause. "Anima mea Dominum, et exsultavit spiritus meus in Deo salutari meo-- Magnificat!"

Angels appeared each one of the four, granting unto them blessings of rejeuvenation. The Amistr retreated back beside it's owner, and the four of them effectively made a wall between the Tendrillion, and the earlier parts of the caves. She was about to get ready for another strike, when she heard footsteps behind her. "Mistre-ess!" She heard, causing her to turn around.

"No!" The Crusader scolded, but the beast already took it's chance. It lunged at the Priestess, taking her down to the ground. And as it raised it's open maw to quickly, and viciously tear our her innards, another sort of green flash surged in-- before the Crusader could even react.

"GET OFF HER!!" Muarim cried out, heaving his cart high above his head. He did a small twirl on the heels of his feet, striking the beast right in the face with his cart. "CART REVOLUTION!!" The Tendrillion flew off surprisedly, retreating back a few steps; the Merchant knelt beside the Priestess and helped her up. "Are you alright, Mistress?"

"Heal!" Came another unfamiliar voice to the Priestess. She was bathed in a green light, and looked up to see an Acolyte smiling down warmly at her, a Mage standing right behind him. "Should never turn your back on the enemy." He said, as she accepted the help from the Merchant, facing the beast again.

"Muarim, what are you doing here?" She said, no longer taking her eyes off the beast. "You shouldn't--"

"You should keep one of those whistles for yourself. You're lucky I got here." He joked back, although the Crusader didn't look all too amused. He would have bowed respectfully, but he figured now wasn't the time-- giving him a nod of acknowledgement, and receiving one in return.

The Tendrillion now realized that it was far outnumbered, and let out another horrendous cry. The Alchemist's Amistr bleated fearfully, hiding inside the Wizard's black robes. "Hey hey, get out--!" The caster started, though the beast roared again.

The vines along it's body began to undulate like angry waves upon the open sea. Then, they separated from it's body, reaching out like snakes along the ground. It was feeding it's own vines into masses upon the ground, which soon took form as other four-legged beasts.

"It's summoning Hills Lions!" The Crusader exclaimed, bringing up his shield again. He looked over at the Priestess. "They're cute, but they're deadly."

"What?!" She said, surprised. "Why tell me that?" A smile crossed her lips. "Muarim... I want you to get out of here. Take your friends with you, and go. We could barely take the Tendrillion alone-- and now that it's also made a group of it's own, we won't--"

"I'm not leaving you. Not like this." Muarim said, defiantly. "Punish me, hate me, be angry with me later. But right now, we all leave, or none of us leave." He tightened his grip on his axe, stepping in front of the Priestess.

"Yeah yeah, sappy stories later." Bascht piped in, coldly. "Listen, I'd really rather that we all left, instead of none of us-- so hurry up and come up with a plan, so we can get out of here!"

Shichiro - Some noob AD
Muarim - Some noob smith

I'm just a noob.

10-11-2009 12:41 PM
Zerrif Offline
One of Many

"Get out of here." The Payonese Blacksmith said-- though D didn't look too amused. "Listen, D. For your own good, you should stop snooping around about this group."

"I thought if anyone would know even the slightest bit, it'd be you, Begnahd. I mean, you deal with everyone who comes in and out of Payon." The blonde leaned on some crates of Phracon in the back. "Please. Just tell me if you think my suspicions could be true. You don't have to affirm aynthing."

"From where you're coming from, you're pretty spot on." A third voice came from the door. Both smiths turned around to see another Payonese standing there.

"Hakhim!" Begnahd said, though his workmate just waved him aside. He seemed to recede into a shell, curling up slightly and leaning on a box, no longer looking like he wanted to speak.

"They come in all the time. One by one. It's rare to see them in groups, unless their in their "squads" or whatever they call them. I can see it in their eyes. Cold, lifeless, empty. Some of them I even knew as regular adventurers before they joined the faction. Never in parties. Always alone." Hakhim looked at the blonde, before crossing his arms. "You're treading into dangerous waters, D."

"I know. But if that's true then..." He looked out the door. "Not just my friends, but everyone like that is in trouble. And there's always going to be those ostracized, those that are shunned from groups or society. This Faction... they're going to keep growing. And the only people to blame is ourselves."

---

"Storm Gust!!" The wizard cried out, a malevolent blizzard forming around the group. The Tendrillion lunged at them, being battered around and it's underlings being scattered by the violent winds. The small Hills Lions were frozen solid, but the Tendrillion was proving far too adamant to be kept in place by the Wizard's tries.

"Frost Diver!" Bascht chanted after, sending spears of ice shooting through the ground at the Tendrillion. They crashed with a resounding crackle, but the beast just shook off the ice as if it were water.

"Let's go, Pastrami!" The Alchemist cried out, sending the Homunculus back to the front lines. It let out a bleat-like roar at the beast, distracting it's attention. "Come on! Let's go!" He shouted at the group.

But things weren't going to be that easy. The minute that they began to turn to escape, the Hills Lions broke free of their icy prisons, and turned on the group yet again. The Crusader quickly jumped in the way as one of the smaller beasts leapt at Gerik, battering it away with another Shield Charge. "Go!"

The group began to run with the Wizard turning around yet again, pointing at the ground. "Quagmire!" He called out, the ground turning into mush. The air itself looked green and sickly, and he continued to run with the rest of them. "If we continue like this, it'll get out into the open with everyone else!"

"Come on!" A voice cried at the end of the tunnel. The Archer who'd been with the Thief before popped out from an apparent hiding spot, waving them on. "There's an ambush set up outside! We just gotta make it!" He called out, waving them over. That urged the large group onwards at this point, and despite the Quagmire's effects on the Tendrillion and it's underlings, it was still gaining ground on them.

Gerik felt his body relaxing, and looked around. They were losing speed, and his party looked over at him as well. He nodded, and dug his heels in, skidding to a halt. "Increase Agility!" He said, repeating the chant over and over as he endowed each person's body with a boost. He left himself for last as usual, watching as they made haste towards the exit.

He was about to get to himself when he felt himself snatched into the air. At first, he was about to cry for help-- thinking the Tendrillion had him in its jaws; he was relieved to hear the squawk of a Peco Peco, before he was set upon the downy feathers. "No stopping. Everyone needs to move." The Crusader said, now urging his Peco along with another rider.

Gerik looked back at the bird ran, watching the Tendrillion sluggishly move towards the group. It wouldn't be long before the effects of the Quagmire wore off, and they'd make easy prey soon after that. He looked back ahead, seeing a small glint of light above him slightly. One last hill separated them, and the outdoors.

They began their ascent, when he saw the Priestess lag behind slightly. Her Increased Agility had worn off, but a quick glance over her shoulder showed that there was no time to recast. The Crusader looked back, skidding to a halt-- though Gerik was faster to react.

He had reached into his robes, and held a Blue Gemstone in his hands, pointing at the ground with his other hand. "Warp Portal!" He cried out, a gate soon appearing in the Priestess' path. Before she even realized it, she stepped into it and was whisked away, the Crusader looking dumbstruck for a minute. "No time! Go!" Gerik cried-- turning his gaze back to their path. The exit was within a few strides.

The Crusader hesitated a split second more, before spurring his Peco Peco onwards, daybreak soon washing over the two of them as the bird barely made it out. The Tendrillion and the Hills Lions bounded out after them, but there was soon a cry of "FIRE!". The beasts, mid-stride, were met with a barrage of arrows, seemingly never ending, and coming from all possible directions.

The Peco Peco skidded to a halt and turned around, as Gerik let himself down. The beasts were no match for the dozens of Archers, Hunters, and even Bards that had taken place around the cave exit, now flooding it with Stone Arrows. The Acolyte sighed, before he felt himself lifted up by the scruff of his robes, soon staring at a rather annoyed Crusader. "Where did you send her?!" He bellowed.

"I-I don't r-remember." Gerik replied, meekly. It was true. Images had flashed so quickly before his mind when he had been chanting, that he had just picked one and sent the Priestess there. He tried to remember now, but the pain around his throat was making it hard to focus. "S-somewh-where s-safe... I don't h-have anything memorized that i-isn't-- hck..." He was running out of breath. He noticed that around one of the fingers that was currently holding him up, was a ring. He pointed weakly at it, and the Crusader stared down, before releasing his grip; the Acolyte falling to the ground, coughing for air.

The Crusader pointed to the ground, and began to chant in his mind. "I miss you..." He whispered, creating a pink portal on the ground, akin to that of the Acolyte's Warp Portal. Gerik looked over expectantly, the portal shimmering and pulsing. After a few seconds of what had seemed like hours, the Priestess soon warped in, looking rather confused.

"Why did you summon me?!" She said, rather flustered. "I was just looking through this shop of really cute hats-- Oh!" She stopped mid-scold to see the Acolyte on the ground. "Thank you for the rather quick save. I would have been fine but-- well, do you mind sending me there again? I just absolutely have to get that hat before someone else does! Coming?" She asked the Crusader.

Gerik blinked, and found himself helped up by the green-haired Merchant. "Mistress is... a little eccentric. But I'm just glad we're all safe." He said, patting Gerik down. Though he found it weird, he didn't say much, and just nodded at the Priestess, about to open up another Portal for her.

"Not for long." Came D's voice, from behind them. Gerik had just finished opening up the Warp Portal-- the group that was accompanying the Priestess all having entered. The Mage soon ran up to the Blacksmith, giving him a tight and quick hug, before looking up. "I've just... come across some stuff that you're not going to like hearing. Come on, we'd better get inside. It isn't safe to talk out here, when the trees have ears."

Shichiro - Some noob AD
Muarim - Some noob smith

I'm just a noob.

10-14-2009 03:46 PM
AmperFire Offline

"Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true." So what made you decide to title your short story with that. Anyway it's a good story, a very futuristic one. I hope you could have them published.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2009 07:26 AM by AmperFire.)
10-14-2009 11:01 PM
Zerrif Offline
One of Many

... Wat?

Shichiro - Some noob AD
Muarim - Some noob smith

I'm just a noob.

10-15-2009 12:51 PM
Zerrif Offline
One of Many

Okay so I seriously had a part typed up for this, but I wasn't able to post it. Right when I was about to, my jerk of a brother came into my room and told me to go to bed.

I'm 19, still being told to go to bed, at midnight.

So excuse the mini-rant. I promise I'll get it up later tonight.

For now, here's an excerpt of the part AFTER the one that's coming.

---

"You mean to say that he's somewhere in here?" Gerik asked, staring at one of the maps that the Merchant had procured. "This place is gigantic! The only feasible way we could cover this all would be to split up-- but that's something we generally avoid."

D nodded. "Yeah, but unfortunately, that's just how big Byalan is. Not to mention paths that aren't mapped out regularly by adventurers. He could have easily gone astray from the paths and wandered into the unknown caverns."

"I hear the deepest levels of Byalan are even underwater." Bascht noted. "Unless there's some trick to it, we won't even be able to venture that deep. Meaning we have to cut off at least half of this dungeon to be explored. But from what you told us, your brother is an experienced adventurer, isn't he? He'd have found some way down there if he needed to head down there."

The Archer nodded. "K--... He was an extremely accomplished adventurer." He said, looking down at his feet. "Far moreso than I could ever aspire to be." A hand clapped his shoulder, and he looked up to see Gerik smiling at him.

"Come now, that's no way to be thinking, is it? Let's start with what we know, and press on from there. Besides--" He looked around at his party. "I'm sure that won't even stop us. We're far too eager. Welcome aboard to the party, Ren."

"Does the party have a name?" Ren asked. Gerik looked at him with a blank stare. "Really? Most parties that pass by Payon, or at least the ones that I know of, have a name. A title. Something that they can be known by. All great deeds need to be credited to someone or some group. I suppose it's not all that important but..."

"Why don't you think of one? You're supposed to be the master of words, aren't you?" Bascht quipped, coldly. Gerik shot him a glare, but the Archer didn't seem to notice at all. Muarim looked over too, kind of shocked at the treatment-- but then again, he'd sort of received the same thing. He figured that if anyone could weather the harsh treatment, Bascht would start respecting them. Or something like that.

"How about "The Harbingers"? It means messengers. Each of us has our own message or teaching we bring around to the world. We don't necessarily have to share the same thought-- the point is simply that we each bring forth a message, a lesson." The Archer beamed as his though, and Gerik smiled softly as well.

"Wonderful." Bascht said-- behind the mask, he was rolling his eyes. "Now, can we go?" It wasn't much of a question, more of a complaint. He just moved himself over to D's cart, and sat upon it, leaving the Blacksmith laughing nervously.

"Yes, if we have nothing else to get here, and we're all done stocking up and resting, let us go."

Shichiro - Some noob AD
Muarim - Some noob smith

I'm just a noob.

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2009 09:24 AM by Zerrif.)
10-21-2009 09:24 AM
Zerrif Offline
One of Many

"Lost them?"

"Yes sir. The Tendrillion was defeated upon it's exit from the caves."

"Insolence!" There was a loud thump, like someone being slammed against a wall. "Bloody Branches are NOT in the same supply as our Dead Branches. I give you one. Just one. You create one of the most FEARED monsters and what-- it's defeated by sheer number?"

"Th-the group was th-there sir."

"... Ah, them?"

"Y-Yessir."

"I see. That does throw a wrench in our plans."

"There could be others like them out there."

"Of course there are. You'd be naive to think there aren't."

"A p-plan of a-action, sir?"

"Continue on. Keep an eye on that particular group. Notify me if they interfere yet again."

"Yessir!"

---

"So your hypothesis is that those that end up joining the DBF are people who are outcasts?" Gerik was sitting on his bed again, looking down at the ground. Worry was mixed with deep thought, crossing his features with a very mature, and serious look.

"Not just that. People that... don't have a place to go to." D said, looking around with a slightly pained look. He didn't want to say it but the three of them definitely fit the bill. "They probably scare them into joining, or give them false promises, and false hopes about fitting in somewhere."

"So then why target us? Why would that Star Gladiator have come after us?" Bascht asked, still wearing his mask. D looked over with a hurt face. He really didn't want to say it-- and he could feel Bascht was just giving him a mirrored-gaze back. "We have each other. We have this group. We're not alone." The Mage moved over to where the Blacksmith was leaning against the wall, just leaning against him. "Right?"

There was silence for a bit, before Muarim shook his head. "Because we can't keep denying the fact. The three of us became adventurers for a reason. A reason all to ourselves. But the fact remains is that something that influenced us was that... we had nowhere to go. We had nothing else TO do. Sure we could have led our lives doing what we normally did but... it wouldn't have lasted. We have to admit that."

D's arms wrapped around the Mage consolingly, and he just looked up at the ceiling. "So fine. No denying that fact. But what happens now? I mean, if they're going to keep going after you guys, or adventurers like yourselves, there's no end to it. People are going to become set onto the fringes because that's how it works. There's no happy ending."

"Who knows?" Gerik piped back in. He'd taken the time to reach for his Monster Egg, cradling it lightly. "But we can't let it continue. We can't let people keep getting sucked into this faction."

"So then what are you proposing, that we stop this faction? By ourselves? Gerik, we might be a group that has synergy, but we're far from being able to overthrow DBF by ourselves. " The green-haired Merchant piped in. "I'm sorry but that's just not something we can do."

"We can't just do nothing, though. That's what he's saying." Bascht said, his flower lightly brushing against the taller smith's cheek. "I say for now, we continue as we are. Make it like we don't even suspect or care about them. Continue to gather information, and bring this up to people who can do something. Town guards, officers-- guilds. Maybe the King himself."

"He's right. We have to start somewhere." Gerik motioned, looking up. "But for now... we should continue on. D's gotten all he could out of his contacts here, and I doubt we'll land on a gold mine of information. We should go to our next destination. Question is, where?"

"Well I don't have any duties from the Merchant's Guild right now." The Blacksmith said. "Are your guilds asking you guys to do anything?" He looked around, but got no response. He didn't even bother asking Bascht-- he'd probably pricked too many nerves by opening up this conversation with the young Mage. "Let's head to Morroc, then. If anyone can get information, it's the Thief, Assassin, or Rogue guilds."

"Morroc..." Muarim mumbled, before shaking his head. The others looked at him and he stared blankly at the floor. His hands clenched into fists, and he just shook his head. "Bascht said something about continuing like we didn't care about them. Seeking out information directly is doing the opposite. We should go on an adventure somewhere. You know, like how we came here. Follow a rumor about trouble somewhere, and go investigate? It seems wherever trouble is happening, they'll be there."

A knock on the door broke the conversation. Gerik blinked, and moved away from the wall he was leaning on. Muarim made his way to the door and opened it, an Archer peeking in. "Excuse me... but I was wondering if this was the room that housed the heroes that gave aid in the dungeon?" Muarim blinked at the Archer, looking back. He let the ranged fighter worm his way in. He was wearing a Clown Nose and a pair of Goggles on his head, which he quickly took off and held to his chest.

"We're not heroes, but we did give aid. Who might you be?" Gerik asked, a little curious. Heroes? Things were getting out of proportion-- but something about him didn't mind being called that. If anything, it was something to aspire to be. "I mean, we did no more than head through--"

"You don't realize, however, that even the smallest actions are heroic to those that your action help. The fearless Acolyte in black and silver, stepping in the way of danger and putting the wellness of others first. The powerful Mage; a master of various spells, able to use them in a calculated, and efficient manner. The ferocious Merchant, wielding his axe like it were claws or talons on a deadly beast-- word of you three has already been spreading through the guild." The Archer explained. Muarim looked ecstatic, and Gerik just smiled.

"I don't buy it." Bascht mumbled, coldly. The Archer looked up at him almost hurt, blinking. "Sure, we helped anyone we came across in the caves, but this is being blown out of proportion. There were other adventurers like us doing the exact same. So why bolster who we are?" The smiling mask hid a cold stare, though the Archer could feel it through the plastic covering. "What do you want from us? Stop with the flattery."

There was a silence, and D just placed a hand on the Mage's shoulder, pulling him back. The Archer started to wring his hands together, before he just laughed a little nervously. "R-Right. You see... I've been trying to find a group of adventurers who could help me. My brother and I are both Archers, and he was sent into the Byalan Caves. I haven't heard back from him ever since, and now I'm worried. None of the scouting groups have found anything about him in there." The Archer was standing in the middle of the room, continuing to wring the goggles in his hands.

"Why was your brother sent there in the first place?" Gerik asked. "Guild duty?" The Archer nodded. "I don't know if-- I mean, if he was sent there on the Guild duty couldn't you just be asked to follow up? I mean, if it was something that the Archer Guild deemed something that an Archer had to deal with, why can't you go?" The Archer looked even more nervous now.

"... Truth be told I'm not the pinnacle of Archery. I'm... rather the opposite. I have perhaps the most horrid aim that Rudra would have ever thought up, and my hand shakes with the arrow even shooting against harmless targets-- please! I impore you!" He was suddenly on his knees in front of the bed. "My brother and I... we were both just dumped on the Guild's doorstep. While he's talented and I'm not... I--"

"I don't think we're ready for Byalan." Bascht said, disregarding that the Archer was on his knees. "We've never been there, and that dungeon is far more difficult than Payon Caves in retrospect. Do you simply expect us just to go because you can flatter us? You'd best be searching elsewhere." He scoffed again, crossing his arms. The Archer looked down at first, then he looked up.

"Please. I can pay you with what meagre amounts of zeny I have. I have a few contacts in the guild, I can even acquire some equipment that would help in there! Please just... help me get my brother back. He's the only family that I have." The Archer got up onto his feet, before he just shook his head.

"Hey, he's willing to pay. Count me in." Muarim piped in, from the door. "Paying us means he's hiring us as mercenaries of sorts. No longer guild business. That means you'd be okay with it, right Ger?" The Merchant looked over expectantly at the Acolyte, who just smiled. "I think I have a map of the place stored with the Kafra Services. If this Archer here looks into getting us that special equipment, we shouldn't be all that hard set, right?" The pair looked over at Bascht, who just shrugged his shoulders.

"He asks for help, not even telling us his name? I'm sorry, I don't help people who don't give me their names." The Mage said, coldly. Though, the Archer quickly read between the lines, and he beamed, standing up. A hand was offered to shake, though the Mage didn't take it.

"The name's Mimic. It's... an odd name, I know, but it's because my brother and I never had names. We were just brought here that young. If you've got any other names to call me, feel free to call me them." He noticed the egg that the Priest held, and he smiled-- seeing the name engraved on it. "In fact... why not call me Ren? I'm sure that's better than Mimic." Bascht didn't make any motion, but eventually he just shrugged his shoulders and nodded.

Gerik blinked; this Archer really was quite the character. "Ren, huh? Well then, Ren, what say you we meet in a few hours? We have to get ready to move on again, but we'll meet you in the middle of town, by the large tree near the Kafra Lady, hm?" The Archer smiled at the proposition, and quickly bowed.

"I'll get right on getting that equipment!" Ren piped in quickly, before he bolted out the door. Muarim scratched the top of his head, wondering what had just gone on. Instead, he gave Gerik a signal that he'd meet them later, and headed out to get his maps and some things from the Kafra Lady. Byalan? Hell, he'd never even thought of going down there before.

"Sounds like you guys have stuff to do." D said, having been quiet the whole time. "Good thing. I'm gonna go look into this whole DBF thing some more while you guys keep busy. I'll meet you in Izlude after you're done." He looked down at the Mage, who was still standing stoic, and otherwise silent. The Blacksmith tugged at the Mage's overcoat, with a grin. "Come on, grumpy. It's time to cheer you up."

The two of them left, leaving Gerik sitting on the bed. Byalan, huh? Whether or not they were ready as Bascht said, they had commited now. "You always taught me never to back down from my commitments, either." Gerik mumbled, before he looked around and got up from the bed. It was time to get another Incubator for the Egg. At least playing with Amoren would pass the time.

Shichiro - Some noob AD
Muarim - Some noob smith

I'm just a noob.

10-22-2009 07:35 PM
Zerrif Offline
One of Many

"Alright Ammy, here we go!" Gerik said, taking the branch off the ground and lobbing it down the grassy area of Payon. The Nine Tail was bounding off after it in a flash, making the Acolyte smile. He never figured that a fox would be something like a dog-- but then again, he didn't mind. The playful vulpine reminded him of it's previous owner; kind of like a young, jovial child. He knelt down as the kitsune returned the stick, dropping it in his hand. "My, you're smart. I wonder what else you can do."

"I'm sure he can learn a few things." Came a familiar voice. Gerik turned around to see the Assassin, Konkon, standing there against a tree. He was about to explain when the Assassin just waved a hand, laughing. "Nono, don't say anything. He seems to like you better anyway-- besides, I figure if you keep him, it gives me a reason to keep following you, hm?"

"Follow me?" Gerik asked, before he shook his head. "Konkon, listen if you want him back, you can--"

"I don't!" The Assassin barked at the Acolyte. "Just... keep him. He's happy, anyway." He looked over his shoulder, and just shook his head. "I'll be around." He said, before he vanished into the thin air. Gerik blinked for a second, before he clapped his hands together.

"Ruwach!" He chanted, a bright blue ball floating around him-- but there was nothing. He took a few steps around, the Nine Tail following at his heels, but he uncovered no hidden Assassin.

"Who're you looking for?" Came another voice. Muarim had just walked up from the other side of the tree that Konkon had been standing beside. That was probably why he left. Gerik just shook his head, and Muarim smiled-- holding up a rather large, rolled up set of parchments. "Anyway, here's the maps that I had. I knew I had them."

Almost on cue, the familiar click-click of D's cart was soon lumbering over the grass, and Gerik saw the Mage sitting upon it, the Archer following behind. He was holding items in his arms, and there seemed to be a few additions to the cart as well.

"I convinced some of the treasurers of the guild to help us out. I got a few things that I figured would be useful and-- they're also a token of thanks from the guild. Because of adventurers like you, there were almost no casualties." The Archer said, before he set stuff down on the grass. He handed what seemed to be a plain looking rod to the Mage, before the sides of it glowed-- four cards had been inserted into the rod, all depicting images of what seemed like bird-like people.

"Hill Wind Cards?" Bascht asked, as the Archer nodded. "My, you really took what I said to heart, didn't you? Thank you, this is something to treasure forever." He said. The smile that was on the mask seemed genuine at least, and Ren just grinned.

He handed a ruby-crested staff to the Acolyte, and heaved up a set of chainmail, that had a faint blue glow around it. "A Staff of Recovery, and a set of Saphien's Armor of Ocean." Ren explained. Muarim tried on the armor, finding that he could adjust and clasp it easily to his body. "That should help out greatly down there."

"This is..." Gerik started to speak. Though he knew that the staff he'd received wasn't of great value, it was still something more than he'd ever dreamed of being able to afford at this point. "Thank you, Ren. I'll keep this close to me."

"Just don't think you'll win over our hearts with bribery. I'm a merchant I know better." Muarim warned, though he had a smile on his face and he was running his fingers over the enchanted mail that he wore. His gift was perhaps the rarest of them all, but he wasn't about to let them know that. Rare things meant zeny. Zeny meant a happy merchant.

"So, those would be the maps of the caverns, I presume?" Ren asked, as he pointed at the scrolls that the Merchant was still holding. The group took a seat on the ground as Muarim lay out the floor-maps of each level of the cavern. "My... they seem so... large."

"You mean to say that he's somewhere in here?" Gerik asked, staring at one of the maps that the Merchant had procured. "This place is gigantic! The only feasible way we could cover this all would be to split up-- but that's something we generally avoid."

D nodded. "Yeah, but unfortunately, that's just how big Byalan is. Not to mention paths that aren't mapped out regularly by adventurers. He could have easily gone astray from the paths and wandered into the unknown caverns."

"I hear the deepest levels of Byalan are even underwater." Bascht noted. "Unless there's some trick to it, we won't even be able to venture that deep. Meaning we have to cut off at least half of this dungeon to be explored. But from what you told us, your brother is an experienced adventurer, isn't he? He'd have found some way down there if he needed to head down there."

The Archer nodded. "K--... He was an extremely accomplished adventurer." He said, looking down at his feet. "Far moreso than I could ever aspire to be." A hand clapped his shoulder, and he looked up to see Gerik smiling at him.

"Come now, that's no way to be thinking, is it? Let's start with what we know, and press on from there. Besides--" He looked around at his party. "I'm sure that won't even stop us. We're far too eager. Welcome aboard to the party, Ren."

"Does the party have a name?" Ren asked. Gerik looked at him with a blank stare. "Really? Most parties that pass by Payon, or at least the ones that I know of, have a name. A title. Something that they can be known by. All great deeds need to be credited to someone or some group. I suppose it's not all that important but..."

"Why don't you think of one? You're supposed to be the master of words, aren't you?" Bascht quipped, coldly. Gerik shot him a glare, but the Archer didn't seem to notice at all. Muarim looked over too, kind of shocked at the treatment-- but then again, he'd sort of received the same thing. He figured that if anyone could weather the harsh treatment, Bascht would start respecting them. Or something like that.

"How about "The Harbingers"? It means messengers. Each of us has our own message or teaching we bring around to the world. We don't necessarily have to share the same thought-- the point is simply that we each bring forth a message, a lesson." The Archer beamed as his though, and Gerik smiled softly as well.

"Wonderful." Bascht said-- behind the mask, he was rolling his eyes. "Now, can we go?" It wasn't much of a question, more of a complaint. He just moved himself over to D's cart, and sat upon it, leaving the Blacksmith laughing nervously.

"Yes, if we have nothing else to get here, and we're all done stocking up and resting, let us go." Gerik said, as he stood off the grass as well. "It's safe to assume that your brother would have had maps like these as well. Let's search the known paths first for clues, then if we come across nothing, we'll slowly go exploring. Sound good to you?"

Ren nodded. To be frank, this was far more than he had ever hoped for.

---

The trip from Payon to Alberta took less time than it had first gone-- though there was no trace of the Roween or the Galion ever having been in the forest. It was like their scuffle with the Star Gladiator had never existed within the forest.

Or as if all traces had been covered up on purpose.

It was a conversation the first night they camped, after Ren had fallen asleep. "Should we tell him?" Muarim had asked. "Ren is like us. He's... alone, right? Even if he lives with the guild he's still an Archer, an adventurer, without a real place to go back. And now with his brother gone--"

"His brother was probably taken, not disappeared." Bascht quipped. D looked over at him, his head tilted slightly in question. "Think about it. If our theory is true, and it seems like it is, they would have targeted the both of them. Taking one brother while he's on a mission is easy, especially if he's the more capable one."

"That's right." Gerik stared into the fire, closing his eyes. "Promise him a world where his skills would be put to use, or promise him false dreams of fame, or power. Once you snag him, the second brother would do almost anything for the first. This doesn't seem like much of a coincidence, all things considered."

"I'll start asking around in Izlude, while you guys to go Byalan." D proposed. It was the Mage's turn to look over, but the head-snap was so instant. D already knew what kind of expression he held underneath the mask; it was one of worry. "No, I'm not going. This is something you guys can do on your own. You need the experience on your own and besides--" He scratched the back of his head. "I've got some personal matters to deal with in Izlude. So I'll ask around, and do my junk. You guys do yours, and we'll meet up again after."

"So... do we tell him?" Muarim asked, looking over the sleeping Archer's form. "I mean, if it concerns him and his brother--"

"We don't know for sure." Bascht corrected. "For now, let's keep this between us. We'll know for sure if we should tell him, if we find any sort of tampering or disturbance created by the DBF." The others nodded at that notion, and the Merchant and Smith excused themselves for bed.

"... Not going to bed?" Bascht asked, seeing Gerik still sitting there. The Acolyte suddenly smiled, and the Mage twitched slightly. "What?"

"You've taken a liking already to Ren, haven't you?" Gerik asked. The Mage scoffed. "You said that because you don't want him to have any other worries added on top of his brother. You're probably hoping we're wrong, and that this goes over well." Another scoff. "It's alright, I won't tell. But just know this, Bascht. Your cold exterior doesn't fool me."

"Assume what you like, Gerik." The Mage replied, coldly. "I'm not about to reveal whether or not you're right so quickly." He excused himself politely after that, going to curl up beside the Smith.

"That just basically said yes." Gerik thought to himself, with a smirk. He looked around again, and smiled. "We might not have anywhere to go, but we've got each other. That's a start, isn't it?"

Shichiro - Some noob AD
Muarim - Some noob smith

I'm just a noob.

10-23-2009 10:46 PM