Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
District 9
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

District 9

I watched it last night and i must say i had a great time. I wanted to watch it just on a whim as, sad to say, Indonesia did not enjoy the viral marketing people in other parts of the world did. I didn't even know what it was about till the moment i saw it as the only thing i saw was the movie poster and yet somehow it compelled me to watch it even though we didn't plan to. It was very rare for me to find a movie that intrigued me so much to watch it in the cinema as opposed to buying a cheap pirated DVD here in Indonesia...

anyway, i went into the cinema with just the thought of some sci-fi shoot em up. I left happily surprised. This morning i checked IMDB and read 3-4 pages worth of reviews, making sure i covered both sides of the discussion. I must say that it seems to me some hardcore sci-fi lovers seem to like bashing this movie and comparing them to older, more esoteric titles... Thing is, i saw some of those movies too, and personally i feel that although D9 does not put much into character development, it does present the story in a much better fashion than some of the titles they compared it to..

I have to say some loopholes and discontinuity occurred. [spoiler]The most noticed one is Christopher's handcuff situation. I also noted that in the MNU underground lab, Wikus put down the canister and didn't pick it back up when they made the run towards the dead end...[/spoiler]

However, the way they blended the CGI into the scenes are just beautiful. It became so realistic because they did not go overboard where it counted. Sure some alien motions are blurred, and the blood explosions were sometimes sketchy. But most the explosions and the way they blended it to create a coherent atmosphere is amazing. GI Joe could learn a lot from the CGI in this movie...

so, anyone seen it? comments?

-w-
08-24-2009 12:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jasper Offline
Don't do drugs kids :O

RE: District 9

Its a great movie, definitely one of the best ive seen so far.

[Image: 223968_1188249704copy.jpg]
Tripp - 99/70 High Wizard
Acid Tripp - 96/6x Creator
J Vigil 9x/6x? Lord Knight
My siggy Icon_sad
08-24-2009 08:18 AM
Chained Chaos Offline

I had a somewhat similar experience going into this film.

I had seen a brief trailer, one of the first released, that didn't really allude to much aside from "Hey, this movie has aliens or something." Still, despite the vague connotations, I was drawn in somehow and knew that I wanted to see this movie for better or worse.

Just a few nights ago, after seeing a poster for it, I decided that it was about time to head back to the theaters and dedicate some time to the ritual. I don't go very often, but it's a nice change of pace -- and, frankly, I was still pretty curious about what this story entailed.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. I expected something geared more towards appealing to baser instincts. Instead I was treated with a much more mature representation of what I expected; yes, there were explosions, bloody moments, and general testosterone-flavored scenes, but it was done in such a way that you forgive its excess. I especially enjoyed the spectrum of emotions that it conveyed to the audience, warranting at times empathy and anger in places that you initially wouldn't have expected to feel them.

Sure, the film has its flaws: what film doesn't? I think I'll refrain from putting the spotlight on them, though. Enjoying things for what they are instead of picking them apart for what they aren't generally leads to a much more entertaining experience.

In any case,
tl;dr I'm buying it on DVD or Blu-Ray when it gets released.

[Image: tyraelsigix4.jpg]
08-24-2009 10:42 PM
Yuriohs Offline
Keep your Heart True, and your eyes open

PRONZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL OF THESE PRONZ ALL OVER ME PRONZ!!!!!!!!!!!

on a serious note, I haven't seen it, but I just recently "acquired" a copy /gg so ill check it out.

Looks good though.

[Image: m9ahiejpg.gif]

The first lesseon a revolutionary must learn is that he is a doomed man. Unless he understands this, he does not grasp the essential meaning of his life.
And thus he isn't a revolutionary if he doesn't understand.
08-31-2009 08:40 AM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Tim Burton <3

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
09-29-2009 11:27 AM
Naruhodo Offline
Ace Attorney

ah wait Pandora I think you're thinking of the CG movie just called "9," which is totally different than District 9 xD

I liked District 9 too, it was great that they could make an alien movie more intelligent and thought-provoking, and have some moral ambiguity.

And I'm curious about that Tim-Burton-produced 9, but that's another story Icon_biggrin

[Image: tumblr_ox8eztGfqD1rtqyteo1_400.jpg]

I'm back?
Naruhodo, 99/70 Champ
Naruhodo Ryuuichi, 99/70 Whitesmith
Edgeworth, Sniper
Lawrence Moe Curls, Bard
Father Totoro, Priest
09-29-2009 07:43 PM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Right XD well District 9 looks good too I saw the preview, but haven't seen the movie yet.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
09-30-2009 07:20 AM
MakawiMurasama Offline

Fell asleep on it.
10-01-2009 10:04 AM
miltonhork Offline
Banned

Hi
It's going to go down as a sci-fi classic. It had a brilliant premise, decent performances and intense action sequences and the dark humor. The best movie of 2009 thus far.
10-21-2009 05:08 AM
Shikari Offline
Br?

It was a good film, but honestly not a movie for anyone, since even tho it has action its NOT an action film =O so people going in to see a war/action film might be dissapointed. Personally I went in expecting something similar to Cloverfield =o, I was hapily mistaken XD.

EDIT- deleted the first part upon realization that maha meant another movie @_@!

[Image: 2wnxvtw.png]

Proud Member of Desolation of Eden
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2009 03:55 PM by Shikari.)
10-21-2009 02:24 PM