Poll: The poll question is this. Should heRO implement such a script if it becomes available? Maybe even come up with something on it's own?
This poll is closed.
Yes heRO should add or develop this. 18.00% 9 18.00%
No 82.00% 41 82.00%
Total 50 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Inactive Ranker Removal Script
YuYuYuki Offline

RE:??Inactive Ranker Removal Script

Neuneck Wrote:Maybe the following analogy will help you:

Sports world records!
For 100m sprint the current world record is below 9 sec (I think), and if someone breaks the record he's the record holder until someone is faster than him. What you suggest is, that the world record should worsen by 0.1 sec every year, so other people get a chance to break it? That makes no sense at all.

Of course getting a TK to be ranker is easier on newer servers, but hey! There's other issues on newer servers too (unavailability of gear, cards and parties). If you feel overwhelmed by the effort it takes to become TK ranker, then just don't try to. I'm not planning to climb the mount everest either! It's like always: If you aim high, you gotta work for it.

Once in a while there will be someone going inactive, or a new guy putting up all that effort. That's the chances to get in there. It's a competition after all!

I look at it more like this. To win a medal at the Olympics an athlete doesn't have to set a record he just needs to be better than his current competitors. If they did have to set a record then nobody would have received a gold metal for long jump for over 40 years which is how long Bob Beamon's Long Jump of 8.90m of 1968 has held for so far.

The system I just purposed turns the ranker system into an active marathon. You keep running at a steady pace and you'll hold your place, speed up and you'll clime, slow down and you'll get passed.

[Image: yuyusig600.jpg]

Wish List
Raydic Card - GWC - Skin of Ventus - Bloody Ball - Tao Gunka Card
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2009 10:53 AM by YuYuYuki.)
08-31-2009 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aqualys Offline
Azure Sky

RE: Inactive Ranker Removal Script

Personally, I am in favor of only one system. Inactive rankers (not logged for say three months or whatever) are no longer shown in the rankings list, which means that the actual #11 and under, depending on how many actual top 10 players are inactive, will be shown as a top 10 ranker. However, as soon as one of the real top 10 players logs in, their name and score comes back in the list as if it's always been there, and whoever was #10 teporarily gets obviously kicked out and loses their bonuses until they complete enough missions or someone else gets inactive for three months again to enter the top 10 once again.

Hope that made sense. Basically, points aren't lost, they're just not shown if the player is inactive, making someone else a ranker "temporarily".

[Image: Combination.jpg]
08-31-2009 12:13 PM
Riza Offline
Frozen Heart

Now this sounds quite fair. No1
08-31-2009 12:30 PM
Ardney Wolf Offline
Eccentric Old Guy

RE: ??Inactive Ranker Removal Script

YuYuYuki Wrote:I look at it more like this. To win a medal at the Olympics an athlete doesn't have to set a record he just needs to be better than his current competitors. If they did have to set a record then nobody would have received a gold metal for long jump for over 40 years which is how long Bob Beamon's Long Jump of 8.90m of 1968 has held for so far.
Carrying on with this analogy though, the opposing argument holds more weight. Here's what I mean:

Everyone can potentially complete an event in the Olympics and win a medal. They are common, the number of potential medals being infinite (theoretically). Not everyone will set a record. They are uncommon, the slots for a record being finite.

Similarly, everyone can make a successful TK build. They are common, the number of potential TKs being infinite (theoretically). Not everyone will make a ranked TK. They are uncommon, the number of ranked positions being finite.

Just making a comment on the analogy. I have no stake in the actual argument Icon_biggrin

Ardney - 99/70 Paladin
Objection!
08-31-2009 12:37 PM
poeticwings Away
PAGDAYAW !!

YuYuYuki, let's just say Nyuu would not be happy with this. Current rankers spent more time getting ranked and staying ranked than someone who wants to become ranker.

Anyway, Aki already said that this would not be tampered with, and the votes are currently 23 to 7: NO.

Rinato High Priest L99/70
Index Sniper L99/70
Peppermint Gypsy L99/69
The Pianist Assassin Cross L98/68
sharp Baby Hunter L99/50
Harmonia Soul Linker L91/50

The Penguin Squad Guild L9
08-31-2009 01:23 PM
Ellie Offline
Bittersweet

Just to point out, Aqualys made it to it in a few weeks, wasn't it, and is now 3rd?

Inasad
stop doing dickers
08-31-2009 08:28 PM
YuYuYuki Offline

Yea I'm working towards it to, but like I said I'm just following it to it's logical conclusion.

[Image: yuyusig600.jpg]

Wish List
Raydic Card - GWC - Skin of Ventus - Bloody Ball - Tao Gunka Card
08-31-2009 08:32 PM
Aqualys Offline
Azure Sky

RE:??Inactive Ranker Removal Script

Ellie Wrote:Just to point out, Aqualys made it to it in a few weeks, wasn't it, and is now 3rd?

Yes. It took me exactly two weeks to be ranked (at ~140 missions, at the time). Now, being nearly two months old on the server, I am nearing 450 points. So yes, with enough determination (and time on your hands - in other words, not having a life), it can be done at a fairly quick pace if you know what you're doing.

I don't want to talk about blacksmiths because I've never paid attention to them, but the alchemist rankings are probably more complicated to reach than the taekwon rankings. Why? Because taekwons compete against one another, in a sense. As for alchemists, you're most likely competing against guilded alchemists that do potions for their entire guild.

[Image: Combination.jpg]
09-01-2009 04:41 AM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

Aqualys, i think your idea is even worse than the original idea because imho your suggestion is:
1. much harder to script
2. (yet still) unwarrantably swipes credit away from inactives; a world record stays a world record regardless whether the person has ever competed again (or even died for that matter), why should a record in a fantasy world be any different?

i think Ardney summed things up quite nice about the analogy...

oh and btw, if you took the time it took you to start this topic and keep replying to it, you'd have enough time to do 2-3 (or even more) TK missions...

-w-
09-01-2009 01:49 PM
Rhombus Offline

I am kinda of split with this topic.
People worked really hard to become rank but once ranked its 10x easier to get more points, so it really hinders new players. And with it taking months to get those points, it would never be fair to whipe them. Best thing you could do which is probably too hard to script is to have a taekwon have to hit the taekwon mission button once after a server reset to regain all points they had, inactive ones would simple have to log back on character and hit taekwon mission when they returned.

Cutty Flam - Champion 88/54
Merciful Poseidon - Wizard 93/50
Casper - 72/41 Baby Monk
Croco - Rogue 65/30

SSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
09-01-2009 03:07 PM