Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance
Nidsrule Offline
๏̯͡๏

Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance

Well I've tried to keep this spoiler free, so things are discussed in broad terms. There is a slight spoiler at the bottom (although it relates more so to the end of the first movie than anything really to do with the second movie) so avoid that if you haven't watched the first movie yet.

For the record, I was very impressed with the first movie. After watching it a number of times and not really looking into any discussion on the remakes, I was under the impression that the movies were going to more or less follow the series; a few changes/additions along the way but ultimately, the same story line. I went looking for reviews of the second movie for interests sake and ended up "spoiling" the movie for myself. I'm not one to let a few spoilers ruin a movie/game/series for me but I sure as hell wasn't going to wait around for a dvdrip to become available like I initially intended. I ended up watching the second movie as a cam rip.

Issues of video/audio quality aside (as is expected of a cam version), the movie itself is amazing. Whereas the first movie was essentially a remake of the first 6 eps of the series, the second film while covering the rest of the series, hardly resembles the original. While some key events remain the same (or at least similar), there have been huge changes made to the story line. As I said before, the movie covers basically every major event contained in the original series up until a fair way into the original movie (End of Evangelion). If you don't like cliffhanger endings, avoid this movie until the final two are released.

That brings me to my only real "complaint" about the remakes; while they offer answers to people who have seen the original series, looking at these two movies from the perspective of someone who has never watched NGE before, this definitely isn't the way to introduce yourself to the series. If the first movie was your intro to this series, hold back on watching the second movie until you've gone back and watched the original series (and movie). Hell, watch it a few times just so you can pick up on things you are bound to miss the first time around. While the second movie does give answers to a few things in the series, most of those answers bring up their own questions; the movie doesn't provide enough background information for new viewers to really pick up on some of the new concepts or even some of the original concepts.

As far as I'm concerned, these movies are no longer a retelling (compression?) of the original series but rather, compliment the original series. You really can't appreciate the series as a whole from just the movies alone (although this could change in the 3rd and 4th movies, I still think seeing the original series first is a must).

Anyway, the fight scenes are at the very least on an equal level to those in the first film (and are really, even more "over the top" in comparison). The character interactions/development is a lot better compared to the first (and in some respects a bit better than the series). The movie does suffer from feeling rushed in some scenes, since the series had the luxury of allowing scenes to "linger" for emotional effect/impact. Can't help but feel that there should have been a little more character development/interaction (once again, a lot of these scenes work well with having seen the series beforehand. A lot of the scenes seem to build upon "assumed knowledge" which I think makes it harder for newcomers to the series to appreciate some of these scenes).

One complaint I do have with the film is the horrible soundtrack. Some of the songs used just seem so out of place that it borders on ruining the scene. At the very least, some of the song choices can be very distracting. Hopefully they'll do another revision (similar to the eva 1.11 release) that adds a more appropriate sound track.

New character has a fairly minor role.

--------------------SPOILER---------------------

Regarding the final scene of the first movie, something about it doesn't sit right with me. I didn't pick up on it until I read some discussion about it; Kaworu's appearance on the blood stained moon (think ending of End of Evangelion), the group of opened and closed containers. the appearance of another Lilith and Kaworu talking of meeting Shinji "again" raise some interesting questions. The second movie adds to this confusion with similar scenes of the moon base; something which wasn't included at all in the original series. The implications these scenes raise are interesting to say the least; the final scene alone makes the first movie worth the watch (for fans of the series anyway). The third and forth movies can't come soon enough.

[Image: y1pqZlasA2hpmaUSI3l8oMgzYsXPczwnVbQv4RDD...pgQKqBUabg]

[Image: 2yv147n.gif]
09-13-2009 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Ayu Online
Uguu!

RE: Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance

or more like, be it movie or manga or anime or new movie... no matter how you approach eva, you really don't get what's going on no matter what most of the time ><; every time they promise something new to answer questions, it only manages to make more questions than the answers they give anyway...

09-15-2009 02:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Because that's kind of how Japanese work their storylines. You can find this in RPG's even (Xenogears, FFT, sure there are plenty I'm missing). Japanese are okay with more open endings, where as American's prefer more of a closing.

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
09-15-2009 02:58 PM
Nidsrule Offline
๏̯͡๏

RE:??Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance

GM-Ayu Wrote:no matter how you approach eva, you really don't get what's going on no matter what most of the time ><;

Example? "Most of the time" seems like a slight exaggeration.

GM-Ayu Wrote:every time they promise something new to answer questions, it only manages to make more questions than the answers they give anyway...

That's half the fun with eva; I've probably gone through the series a good 5-6 times and I've ended up taking away a different message from it every time. For the most part the answers are there, just presented in a very cryptic fashion. I love the way the director references other works in the form of visual cues (mainly in the scenes of characters analyzing their own existence/purpose), although they typically require further reading to pick up on.

09-15-2009 06:20 PM
thecursed Offline
The Great Saiyaman!!

Ive yet to watch this series but heard good from it.
Where could i watch this series online (without download preferably)
and btw HI ROB <3

Trowa - Retired Noob

Quoted for truth:
azurerogue Wrote:Players leaving the server (recently) has nothing to do with quests.  We leave because we're bored.  HeRo is an excellent server, and I'm not relocating to a new one - I'm just bored with RO in general and I have way too much going on personally to commit time here.
09-15-2009 07:21 PM
Nidsrule Offline
๏̯͡๏

Better off downloading it. It's pretty much impossible to pick up on everything from one viewing. Also, streaming quality is shit.

Watch it in this order:

Original Series
End of Evangelion (movie)
Renewal of Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone
Renewal of Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance (wait for a dvdrip/blurayrip)

09-15-2009 07:41 PM
thecursed Offline
The Great Saiyaman!!

Link me to a good download source i guess :x

Trowa - Retired Noob

Quoted for truth:
azurerogue Wrote:Players leaving the server (recently) has nothing to do with quests.  We leave because we're bored.  HeRo is an excellent server, and I'm not relocating to a new one - I'm just bored with RO in general and I have way too much going on personally to commit time here.
09-20-2009 11:08 PM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

i've watched the series and the first movie. I must say that i like the open endings and how the philosophical questions are left lingering in the air.

and you saying that each viewing gives a different message imho shows that it's exactly what the writer wanted Ok

it's really more fun that way. IMHO, closed endings are less memorable...

-w-
09-21-2009 06:19 AM
Seth~ Offline
Half-ling Assasin

Evangelion is really great especially if you want to spend hours to figure it out. I only got most of the questions answered after the 3-4 time i watched it, the later part Aska plays still remains a mystery to me.... But she is like a female, crazy, teenage girl.

So I can attribute that to the inability of understanding a crazy teenage girl.

most wanted buying list
http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=19956
05-10-2010 05:26 PM
Nidsrule Offline
๏̯͡๏

Bluray rips are out.

06-01-2010 05:35 AM