Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why is there so much hostility/dislike towards Renewal?
DoctahW Offline
Wants a Whitesmith

Why is there so much hostility/dislike towards Renewal?

I would honestly like to know why so many people on this forum detest the thought of Renewal. I've gone over the changes, and quite frankly, I like them for the most part.

After all, come Renewal, there's less of a dependence on cards, and more on the attack power of weapons for one. One of kRO's goals with Renewal was to reduce dependence on slot amount, and more on the weapon itself.

For example, in current RO, it's generally agreed that a Composite Bow[4] is much more desirable than a Luna Bow[2]. A level 2 (Or is it level 1? I forget.) weapon with 29 attack power that's relatively easy to obtain is capable of much more damage than a level 3 weapon with 100 attack power that is really only dropped by some of the more difficult to kill enemies just because you can fit more cards in the Composite?

I can see that they succeeded in removing dependence on card amount by separating the basic attack power given from your status, and the attack power of the weapon. So in Renewal, cards only affect weapon attack power, making a bloody-boned Luna Bow do more damage to demihumans than a 2xBloody 2xBoned Composite Bow due in part to higher weapon attack.

But enough rambling on that. I'd be fascinated in hearing why most of HeRO seems to truly dislike Renewal. All I ask is to attempt to keep civil. ...And if this is in the wrong forum, please do correct my mistake and move it if it does not fit here.

~My characters? May as well...~

Borha - Level 8x/4x Professor (Not on much...)
Kurim - Level 7x/3x High Priest
SomeNoobWizard - level 9x/50 Wiz
Wilopolis - level 6x/3x Alchemist
Dr. Strangely Weird - level 6x/3x Bard
10-04-2009 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

RE: Why is there so much hostility/dislike towards Renewal?

The very reason you stated seems like a perfect reason to not like renewal, also getting cards has a sense of pride that comes with it, more so than battling to get an equip, makes ya feel more satisfied having made it, and it doing more damage cause you planned it out, not "I snagged this god-weapon! Now I pwn youze!"

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
10-04-2009 02:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fruityla Offline
Miss Ranty Pants

Personally, my reason for the dislike is the fact they're completely changing the mechanics of an already old game (It's what? 8 years old+?) o_O; and it just seems extremely silly to me to do that.

I don't use @main. Do not ask for me there

~Characters~
"Lady" Linnea: 99/69 Spirit
Champion

Aslinn: 9x/6x High Wizard
Jocelinn: Low-level dagger stalker
Lemon Poring: 9x/50 Brewer
Alchemist
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2009 02:25 PM by Fruityla.)
10-04-2009 02:24 PM
DoctahW Offline
Wants a Whitesmith

I can understand that cards dropping give a sense of pride, even if they're no good. *hugs the random disarm buster I own* Slots WILL still make a difference, it's just that currently, the number of slots factors too highly into the relative 'power' of any weapon.

(Curse my slow typing, the first bit is a response to Motenai.)

As for the second response, they're making changes currently because as stated in an interview, they currently can't do much to the game as-is without some major changes.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2009 02:31 PM by DoctahW.)
10-04-2009 02:29 PM
Former-GM-Nara Offline
Nara-Oopsies™ since 2009

Icon_biggrin' I imagine all those hard working wizards that worked carefully, delicately and very very hard to get insta cast only for it to be taken way. Also, it prevents people from grinding on any particular monster like they do in WoW. So... any class that levels on low lvl monsters for a long time ex: Sage & priests, get shafted by it because once surpass that monsters level range they don't get any exp and can't go on to kill other things. Same thing goes in reverse, if the monster is too high for you you don't get the exp from it either. But it is also as Fruityla said, the game is very old and changing a old game into something different and still call it the same will never be liked.

[Image: Meow_by_CriG.gif]
Fear the all mighty!
Review heRO RMS
heRO: Wiki ~ Forum ~ CP ~ Support ticket
10-04-2009 02:35 PM
Naruhodo Offline
Ace Attorney

My problem with Renewal is that they're controlling what monsters you hunt by greatly decreasing the exp you get from monsters too high or too below your level:

Quote:Increased Weighting of Level Difference
- Players are rewarded for fighting monsters within their level range.
- If a player fights a monster up to 10 levels higher than them, they gain a 5% exp bonus per level.
- However, if the monster is over 10 levels above the player, the player will be unable to properly damage that monster.
- If a player is over 3 levels above a monster, the experience of that monster decreases by 50%. Each additional level difference reduces exp by 10%.
- The level weighting occurs after party share is taken into account.

In my ever so humble opinion, **** that xD

I want to be able to hunt/farm whatever the hell I want, not what Gravity arbitrarily thinks I "should" be hunting...

It's one of the reasons I like RO so much; they dont control what you "should be" doing as much as too many current modern MMOs do.

e.g. In WoW they make it literally impossible to kill anything 5+ levels above you, and you're *always* on that same escalator scale to get the next best loot, level, etc in the same zones till you level up and move to the next few places that everyone in your level goes to, etc.

So yeah, I DO NOT WANT renewal.

EDIT: LOL I must have posted this at the same time as Nara, and we never talked about this to each other before... great minds think alike and all that jazz I guess Laugh

[Image: tumblr_ox8eztGfqD1rtqyteo1_400.jpg]

I'm back?
Naruhodo, 99/70 Champ
Naruhodo Ryuuichi, 99/70 Whitesmith
Edgeworth, Sniper
Lawrence Moe Curls, Bard
Father Totoro, Priest
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2009 02:46 PM by Naruhodo.)
10-04-2009 02:41 PM
DoctahW Offline
Wants a Whitesmith

RE:??Why is there so much hostility/dislike towards Renewal?

I do dislike the fluctuating exp value aspect of Renewal, yes. Sweat I like levels changing more than HP/SP and Hit/Flee, and I like the attempts at balancing out some of the more overpowered things (such as EDP...), but they CAN keep the fluctuating exp out of it. Laugh Though I do know what a challenge instant cast is. I've still yet to figure out that gear combo.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2009 02:50 PM by DoctahW.)
10-04-2009 02:49 PM
Lysander Offline

The game works well as is! Why mess with a proven formula? Fluctuating exp sucks, no one would be happy with it, and that card mumbo jumbo? same deal.

Thomas Covenant - Hunter
Lysander - Star Gladiator
Vann + Sheepy Sheep - Alchemist and homunculus
Marneus - Bard
10-04-2009 03:21 PM
Naruhodo Offline
Ace Attorney

I get what you're saying about some of the things they're balancing; some of the aspects of Renewal are definitely "good."

(Though it changes the game so much that even if they're good changes, it'll mess with everything we worked for up to that point so most people wont appreciate it anyway.)

But other parts of the Renewal, like the exp thing, are undoubtedly "bad."

Stupid Gravity Icon_sad

Edit: Hopefully maybe someday in the future eAthena will take the good Renewal changes from the bad and add them to their RO emu? And if not eAthena, then maybe other coders/heRO? We have the power! Icon_twisted

[Image: tumblr_ox8eztGfqD1rtqyteo1_400.jpg]

I'm back?
Naruhodo, 99/70 Champ
Naruhodo Ryuuichi, 99/70 Whitesmith
Edgeworth, Sniper
Lawrence Moe Curls, Bard
Father Totoro, Priest
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2009 03:25 PM by Naruhodo.)
10-04-2009 03:23 PM
Kretzer Offline
Fat-Ality

I dislike the idea of heRO renewal.

As most of the time thats what people "suggest".

"u now wath would be really cool? 3d classes on hero, amirite? llolol"

I really like the whole Renewal thing, but i'll enjoy it on iRO when it comes.
10-04-2009 03:31 PM