Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help for an old RO fan
Kuipo Offline

Help for an old RO fan

So I played RO back when it was still in alpha and all through the beta phases.??I've played multiple free servers over the years and every time I come back, things seem to have changed!

So far I'm really happy with the server and people have been fairly nice to me. I made a hunter, as that is my usual class, and currently am 70/42 farming for some cards.??But I was wondering if there are any more experienced hunters that are up to date with all the newer cards and such that might be able to help me so I don't end up spending too much time hunting the wrong cards/gear.

Before I ask any of the questions, keep the following things in mind:
  • I'm not interested in PvPing at all, so things that are good for PvP are useless for me.
  • I'm new to this server, and currently only have about 40,000 zeny to my name Cry
  • Currently I have no cards or anything so I'm just wearing a hunters bow, boots, muffler, and some tights. (None of it's slotted)
  • Currently I'm an Agi/Dex build (I hate using potions much, so my agi is really high first) but I'm open to suggestions.??I always liked falconer builds but I've heard they are more of a gimmick than anything else these days...

Here are some of the questions I have:
  • Where should I be leveling? Currently I'm still pecking away at geographers because they are so easy and mindless, plus without any cards or plused out gear, I take a lot of hits, for pretty big numbers...
  • The gear I should be focusing on at the moment. This is what I think I should be getting:
    • Arbalest[2] - I'm not sure what cards to put in it though... What's good these days?
    • Muffler[1] - Whisper card?
    • Tights[1] - No clue what card these days...
    • Boots[1] - No clue what card these days...
    • Brooches or Gloves? Should I aim for the non-slotted ones first then work up to the slotted ones when I get the cards?

Sorry for the long first post.??I hope someone will guide me along somewhat Icon_biggrin
11-24-2009 01:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

RE: Help for an old RO fan

Training possibilities:

-Moscovia dungeon 1: access it via alberta (we don't have the official quest yet), and just use fire arrows against plants. They do move and attack but are very slow. Drops are considerably better than geographers. For potion problems, I recommend Double Strafe spamming then bwing the moment sp is out. Use healer, then go again. Sounds costly, but the blue herbs and aloe leaflets will sell for fair amount to pay if off. Rare mantis shouldn't be able to hit you, and you may get mantis card too.

-Louyang field: old school mi gao/soil, so I think you should be familiar with this one. Keep in mind for heRO we have something called "hatter" (wiki this one in our heRO wiki for info.) Soil card does worth something. Again, mantis for card as well.

-Hill Wind: earth arrows, and just shoot away. Be careful of drosera which is a ranged plant, so you may need to bring some emergency fly wing if they close confine you. They give 1100z each on average with their normal drops alone. Monster feed off of them can be used as healing potions and it should suffice if you keep your distance (arrow repel if needed to.)

-questing: rachel sanctuary quest (2 mil+ exp here) and a few other official quest provides good experience. Can also unlock some dungeons for the future too.

I'll stay in these 3 places until higher levels like 8x. You can do byalan dungeon 4 already with wind arrows, but byalan has no zeny drop except for cards... so maybe go there after you got some zeny for basic equips.

Gears to get:

-Burning Bow[1]: should be pretty cheap relatively at 500k or lower, though try to buy it soon as price is slowly going up (make this your priority gear!). Combos with fire arrow giving you more dmg against earth, and most of the monsters you fight for now will be earth. Don't be afraid to throw an "not most optimal" card in this bow to be a 'training bow'. This bow is easier to get than you think once your level is higher.

-glove[0]: I think that it beats brooches in usefulness by far. Consider doing the miner's quest (it's custom) in einbech dungeon. You can get a free glove out of it if you play your cards right (ask for help on that one on how to keep the glove.) They shouldn't be too expensive either, cheaper than brooches definitely.

-apple of archer: 1 mil or lower range, so bit pricy but pretty standard gears. Moscovia, hill wind and louyang should allow you to save up plenty of zeny though.

-I don't think that slotted tights or boots are that needy right now...

-Fricco Shoes: may cost a bit but this will totally suffice until you trans. Boosts effectiveness of potion, reasonable def, and 2 agi which sounds good for your build. Cost less than slotted footwear and buying a card for it.

-Falco muffler: it's sadly only on par with muffler[1] + whisper in cost, but it gives 5 PD and 15 flee, and a bit more defense. Don't hesistate to buy this if you see no whisper on sale.

-binocular: you can probably make this one by quest instead of buying it on market. Fight pitman in einbech for steel (which are conveniently weak to fire as well.)

-for armor, no-slot tights will actually be pretty decent for awhile... even for slotted tights, I'll only slow in something basic or "non-optimal" to just boost your attack power. I won't worry about armor for a hunter too much, as sniper armors are when it 'actually matters.' For now, just tights[0] or tights[1] with some 'training card' will work.

I wouldn't consider arbalest[2] which is no longer an 'optimal bow'. It's not bad, but don't worry about it until you got the spare cards or very specific builds that need the 2 dex desperately.

11-24-2009 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pipin Offline

Well choosing hunter as a starting class was a good choice... Now i dont know how old of a fan you are so im just gonna start with suggestions.

For garment and armor id suggest Undershirt pantie combo. Cheap and should last you a while till you maybe even slott it. (+5 agi +1 mdef +10 flee)

Well that would be for armor and garment. For your accesorries, well you could lvl on stings and hope for gloves and slotted gloves. Or buy brooches they should be cheap as in 100k or so.

Lvling places other than stings. Moscovia if your lazy and want fast xp. Hillwinds always a good pick for money and xp. You could even aim for a carded earth bow or gakkung bow with goblin cards to 1 hit hillwinds. Other places are just depending on how skillfull you are.

Also remember this server has a hatter quest where you use cards and some other stuff to get a random hat so even poring cards and such are worth 400k so always check the prices of cards.

Also look up the hero wiki or around the forums, you may want to do the fishing and mining quest.

Well i wish you luck in your future endeavours
11-24-2009 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

I like the archer combo myself.

Anolian , Alligator, Cruiser, Merman, Dragon Tail

Light gears are the way to go, Undershirt and Panties

Apple of Archer and Binoculars are the old sure stays, though there are other Dex headgears now.

Glove[1] is always a safe bet. Bow Thimble[1] if you're gutsy, (for that Alligator Card)

Arbalest[2] or Gakkung[2] make great all-around bows. Get Composite[4] if you want to start specializing, elemental combo bows (and the orc archer neutral combo) are also for specializing.

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
11-24-2009 03:08 PM
Kuipo Offline

So far this is all great info, I really appreciate it! At least I feel like I have a path to move towards now. It sounds like gear isn't quite as important as it used to be... or I'm just reading into things wrong hehe.

Is the burning bow a custom of some sort? I don't see it mentioned in RO Empire's database. (Wanted to look at the stats/where it drops)
11-24-2009 03:27 PM
GM-Ayu Offline
Uguu!

roempire is oldschool indeed.

New place to be: http://ratemyserver.net/

use that as your base, and anything not on there,then it's custom or it's newer than RMS.

It's not that gear is unimportant, just that hunter can do really well without good gears (they do even *better* with the right gears.) Hunter really don't need to worry about gears until sniper almost.

Burning bow and your unslotted hunter bow suffice as your general bow honestly. It's not optimal, but don't worry about it until you can get some zeny first.

I don't recommend the archer combo, because it's unreasonably costly, mostly due to the alligator costing more than everything else put together.

11-24-2009 03:30 PM
Kuipo Offline

That would explain it! What is the "archer combo"? Are you talking about this?
[+ Cruiser & Anolian & Alligator & Dragon Tail]
- Inflict 20% more damage with Long Range Physical attack.
- AGI + 5
- DEX + 3
- Seeking Attack (which never miss its target) + 20%.

I used to run my own database for people during the beta... but that was many many years ago lol.
11-24-2009 03:40 PM
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

Ayuuu~ It'll pay for itself if you think about all the Hillwinds you'll slaughter with your smexy brute blasting powers.

Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
11-24-2009 03:49 PM
Kuipo Offline

That brings up another question... what skills should I get? I have the basic hunter skills, blitz beat, steel claw or whatever, sandman, ankle snare. Is it worth it to get skid trap or... Beast Bane or whatever the +ATK to insect/beasts is?
11-24-2009 03:53 PM
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

To trap you need to do research, its nowhere as simple as one by one skill spamming. (and due to the lowered effectiveness of trap mechanics, not worth it to not ds spam)

11-24-2009 04:15 PM