Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Regressive Rollback Policy
Captain Usopp Offline

Regressive Rollback Policy

Do to a recent discussion with GM-Aki I feel compelled to post. I am sorry I missed the misguided decision of the gms to honor item requests lost in the rollback. I am here to argue against it because apparently the voice of reason was drowned out by those clambering for their pay back.

A roll back happen to to events outside of the gms control. This roll back affects all players equally, it doesn't discriminate and has no political or financial motive. The fairest thing possible is to let it slide. The extra rates as a bonus were far more generous than necessary.

This current policy of refunding items over a certain value is a policy designed to favor the upper echelon of the community and is thus unfair and it was a mistake to accept. To a new player something like a saints robe finally dropping or a certain low level card is of great benefit to them but something unnoticed by the upper class. While GM-Aki argue anyone COULD have gotten something this valuable it is far far more likely that the highest players got items of said value. Now it would be impossible for the gms to give items back of relative value so the fairest thing was to not give any items back at all.

As discussed for some players panties and undershirts are of great value to others they are trash items. This is an example but based on class for lack of a better word some items have more relative value than others. This much is obvious but to limit a repay to those over a certain amount reeks of elitism on par with the bank bailouts. I am sorry the gms thought they were helping people and I am sorry some people who might have got a good item can't see the fairness of a roll back but it is the absolute fairest thing one can do. To try and "fix" it favors a certain class of players over others and if we care about fairness and justice it is wrong. And while it is probably to late to do the right thing in this case as the special interests have flooded the gms it should be a policy adopted in all future cases.

Characters:Captain Usopp, Tony Tony Chopper, Zarathustra, Zoroaster
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2009 06:32 PM by Captain Usopp.)
12-15-2009 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user
Général_Argos Offline
Removed by GM

RE: Regressive Rollback Policy

Those "elite players" at level 99 don't get benefits from the 7/7 leveling rates while new players do. I think it is fair.

IGN: 9000KRIM Alts:  Morradin, KRIMSTEAL
Banned: Krimlin, Krimlogas, Lord_Krimlogas, General_Argos
Krim's grocery list

¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_-KRIMLIN-¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯/
Murphy law.  The only true one.  
[Image: krimstyleg.jpg]
12-15-2009 06:38 PM
Captain Usopp Offline

how is that relevant? by the same argument you get the benefit of the increased rate.

I bet 90% of the people who support this bs got an item of said value and their greed has made them blind to consequences of this policy. In fact some people actually benefited doubly from this horrible policy where they failed to get some high upgrade so they got to try again after the roll back on one item but on another item they got the high upgrade so they sent in a ticket for that one. This whole thing favors the uppers to much I can't believe it actually got passed. I would have posted sooner but when I read the initial post about it probably not going to happen I thought the gms would see logic and indeed not let it happen. Unfortunately I was wrong indeed.

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2009 06:57 PM by Captain Usopp.)
12-15-2009 06:48 PM
thecursed Offline
The Great Saiyaman!!

Its far to much work for the GMs to compensate all lvl 1-90 classes that leveled or found a poring card perhaps. heRO has a large community and sure i get your point that it might be worth something to that player, but those items of such "value" are so easily obtained by so many people that to replace them all to every single player that lost something during the rollback *we all did* it would be far to much work. Its not a matter of laziness on the GMs part either, if you knew what they do for the server and all the time they put in to doing their jobs as GMs without being repayed at all you wouldnt be complaining.

Personally think the rate increase and drop rate increase was more than enough to compensate for what everyone had lost (Minus cards worth 20mil+) Thats reasonable to replace and just plain logic. If your saying someone got their 1 Beezlebub card replaced, so the 50 lvl 10 novice should get their poring and lunatic cards back too you need a better prospective on the difficulty of each. Not to mention the GMs would have to track down each and every player and just add to their jobs. Maybe you think the GMs are perfect and are paid in someway to do this job, atleast thats what i think you think for trying to "perfect" a rollback situation. Thats would false.

Trowa - Retired Noob

Quoted for truth:
azurerogue Wrote:Players leaving the server (recently) has nothing to do with quests.  We leave because we're bored.  HeRo is an excellent server, and I'm not relocating to a new one - I'm just bored with RO in general and I have way too much going on personally to commit time here.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2009 07:11 PM by thecursed.)
12-15-2009 07:10 PM
Captain Usopp Offline

I am glad you agree that this was a horrible idea. Indeed we agree on everything, that the gms can't be asked to make relative judgment calls and replace items of value based on relative circumstances. I also agree that the rate increase was more than enough to justify any losses. In fact I don't even know why you are using rhetoric to paint a false picture of my argument in the last sentences when you agree with my points.

12-15-2009 07:21 PM
Former-GM-Circe Offline
Thank you, all. <3

RE:??Regressive Rollback Policy

Captain Usopp Wrote:In fact some people actually benefited doubly from this horrible policy where they failed to get some high upgrade so they got to try again after the roll back on one item but on another item they got the high upgrade so they sent in a ticket for that one.

Not so.

All claims for an upgraded item require us to collect the items they used to obtain such a level of upgrade from them first, before they get it back.

Gone! Thanks for the memories.
<333

12-15-2009 07:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Captain Usopp Offline

RE: ??Regressive Rollback Policy

GM-Circe Wrote:
Captain Usopp Wrote:In fact some people actually benefited doubly from this horrible policy where they failed to get some high upgrade so they got to try again after the roll back on one item but on another item they got the high upgrade so they sent in a ticket for that one.

Not so.

All claims for an upgraded item require us to collect the items they used to obtain such a level of upgrade from them first, before they get it back.

No I think you must be mistaken. I don't know exactly what the gms did for sure but I highly doubt you would take a different item for the ticket case. My example states that it was a different ("another") item so lets say it was 10 liches and 10 odins. Player 1 upgrades his liches and luck of all lucks he gets a +9. 1 attempts to get a high odins but they all break going for 6. Rollback, sends ticket in for the wand but does get all the wands and armors back. This person then retries his odins and luck of all luck gets a +8. I find it very unlikely that the gms will take this odins from 1 just because he sent the ticket about the liches.

The fair thing to do obviously would be to reset it entirely and if player 1 happens to get a +9 again then good for him but gm interference gives certain well to do players a significant advantage as you can clearly see. This advantage is amplified under the current system and even if you say the gms will take this odins from player 1, which I would find very shocking at how appropriate it would be.
Anyways even if player 1 failed all his upgrades the fact that he could send in a ticket if the upgrades was a success is exactly why I used the bank bailout term in the original point. The only fair thing to do is not allow any ticket items.

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2009 07:46 PM by Captain Usopp.)
12-15-2009 07:30 PM
Merellis Offline
Honor Bound

On the other hand, the GM's could have just done nothing but increase the rates and say "Try again, the rates are there!" and avoid the entire headache of people missing cards rated less then 2mil and complaining about it. :D

[Image: b.png]
Azul 9x/6x Champ
Tagnikzur 9x/6x High Priest
Cornelius 7x/4x SWiz
12-15-2009 07:43 PM
thecursed Offline
The Great Saiyaman!!

RE:??Regressive Rollback Policy

Merellis Wrote:On the other hand, the GM's could have just done nothing but increase the rates and say "Try again, the rates are there!" and avoid the entire headache of people missing cards rated less then 2mil and complaining about it. :D

Well hey! It would be fair to EVERYONE why not? You lost an MVP card? some guy whos played the server for a day lost a poring card. Its only fair that both of you dont get them back :D

GMs should definetly do nothing next time and just increase the rates so that??not just our top notch players get compensated, yay for eliminating "elitists"!

Edit: Realising after i posted this people will take me seriously, i was being highly sarcastic hope you can point it out...

Trowa - Retired Noob

Quoted for truth:
azurerogue Wrote:Players leaving the server (recently) has nothing to do with quests.  We leave because we're bored.  HeRo is an excellent server, and I'm not relocating to a new one - I'm just bored with RO in general and I have way too much going on personally to commit time here.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2009 07:51 PM by thecursed.)
12-15-2009 07:49 PM
Merellis Offline
Honor Bound

RE: ??Regressive Rollback Policy

thecursed Wrote:
Merellis Wrote:On the other hand, the GM's could have just done nothing but increase the rates and say "Try again, the rates are there!" and avoid the entire headache of people missing cards rated less then 2mil and complaining about it. :D

Well hey! It would be fair to EVERYONE why not? You lost an MVP card? some guy whos played the server for a day lost a poring card. Its only fair that both of you dont get them back :D

GMs should definetly do nothing next time and just increase the rates so that??not just our top notch players get compensated, yay for eliminating "elitists"!

Edit: Realising after i posted this people will take me seriously, i was being highly sarcastic hope you can point it out...
I never knew sarcasm tasted so wordy. o: Mmmm, delicious!

And it would be fair, everyone lost stuff, some people lost entire characters that they have to create and level again, or get that last level to finally be able to 99, they get the rates up to level more and be able to get loot at an increased rate as well. o:

For people on upgrading, you get a chance for all the ones you broke to try again, maybe more then one levels up to where you wanted, maybe none. Either way it's a game we play because the GM's keep it running, and we don't have to pay monthly.

But, they already made the decision, all we can do is live with it.

Don't like it? Okay, decision was made and people have already sent in support tickets to be looked at and hopefully get stuff back.

Lost a couple things less then 2 mil? Well, the rates help get it back, or you can use the rates to get better things to trade for what you lost.

Didn't lose anything? Excellent, move along with your day now. :D

[Image: b.png]
Azul 9x/6x Champ
Tagnikzur 9x/6x High Priest
Cornelius 7x/4x SWiz
12-15-2009 08:01 PM
Thread Closed