Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I Am Totally Curious!
Slate Offline
Cue-ball Warrior

RE: I Am Totally Curious!

I can certainly see where most of you are coming from. Mixing different languages in on a server with a designated 'main' language can be helpful, as in Shikari's case, but used frivolously it's usually just a communication deterrant, and people are gonna get annoyed.

That said, there are a couple sensible reasons people would do it. ('Sensible' here is probably largely subjective, but I consider these pretty valid.) For one, it's an easy way to identify like-minded individuals. Dialect is important in language; people are more comfortable around those who talk similarly to themselves. That's why there's leetspeak, that's why there's internet acronyms and memes, and that's why we're seeing this happen too. If these guys toss around their slang enough they'll find people who are familiar with it, and thus who probably have other things in common with them. As a sidepoint to this, there's a lot of overlap between the gamer and otaku demographics, so this could also be a case of mistaken assumptions. Some people will have come from a group that uses the typical internet/MMO slang -and- 'otaku' speech aspects, and seeing us use one, they might assume we're familiar with the other.

The second reason I can think of, and probably a more debatable one in terms of validity, is that these guys want to stand out. Keep in mind that while there are some who prefer to blend in with the crowd, the average person wants to stand out and be known amid their social circles. A distinctive speech style is a good way to do that, and these people either aren't aware that it's starting to grate on some people, or they're willing to forego relationships with those who are annoyed in favor of their personal identity. It's probably okay if Kirk doesn't like your company as long as your shirt isn't red; anonymity means you're expendable to your social group.

Beyond the annoyment factor, it's not such a big deal. In most cases, if you're not fluent in a language, you can still get the gist of what's being said if it's just smatterings amid a string of something you -do- know, and if not, you can clear it up with a simple 'what's that mean?'. If they're replacing crucial words, especially when talking to each other, it's also pretty likely they don't want other people knowing what they're saying. I see people speaking in non-english languages here all the time, and while it bothers me a bit (nosy guy that I am) I can usually restrain the urge to break out a translator, because they might not appreciate my eavesdropping. In the case of people who -do- want you to know what they're saying, if you're really having trouble understanding or are finding it too irritating to deal with, I don't think they'd mind switching to something more standard if you just ask 'em.

[Image: 33918807.png]
Fortune Favors the Bald

Slate: 9x/6x Lord Knight
Basalt: 9x/50 Sage
Glass: 9x/50 Bard
12-29-2009 05:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Loveless Offline
Beautifully Broken

Not many real Otakus here, might be more Japanophiles.

They are not obsessive enough to be Otakus, but I am sure they consider themselves Otakus...

Well , let me tell you something. You ain't!

Cya Icon_smile

And stop mixing languages, that's not cool. It's almost as horrible as Spanglish.

[Image: lovelesssig02vx1.png]
12-30-2009 09:21 AM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Oh man, I read the posts, sorry I didn't respond for a tad bit, forgot almost I made this topic in the anime section! o_o

But seriously, I want someone who actually does this mixing of Japanese+english to explain too, I feel we have bias still going on in this topic, even with Slate's very informing post.

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
12-30-2009 10:50 AM
Galt Offline
Lurker

If you -really- want to know, you're probably best off asking Midori-Sama.

She's the closest thing we have to an otaku on this server. >_>

Randomly materializing within heRO since 2008.

Hi, I copy and paste profound and meaningful quotes without having an iota's worth of what it actually means!
12-30-2009 02:33 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Tried actually when she constantly was using the Japanese at the end of sentences, her response was simply a ":D" again and again.

How useless -.-

12-30-2009 04:18 PM
Galt Offline
Lurker

I'll remember to give her a stern diatribe next time.

I'm fine with people being stupid, but when someone really asks you a serious question and you return with [long list of profanity], you crossed a line.

Then again, words from both sides when put together never make any sense. I'll ask.

EDIT: So from what I read, you called her a weaboo? If insulting someone is a new way to ask a question, then I've got to start cashing in on this fad.

Randomly materializing within heRO since 2008.

Hi, I copy and paste profound and meaningful quotes without having an iota's worth of what it actually means!
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2009 08:35 PM by Galt.)
12-30-2009 08:16 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Lol, I might have said that, I do say stupid shit but hardly ever mean much harm by it, or heck even remember it later. I've been dealing with this weirdness a lot I mighta just finally snapped a little. But now I'm asking in a serious manner and get no responses.

So until the other side responds my bias that its totally stupid remains Icon_sad

12-30-2009 08:59 PM
Yuukino Offline
Random Kat

Beuh... I use names for my character that I like. For instance, Sorsha is from the movie Willow, Hikari Yuukino is a character I created based on me when I was in high school... so long ago Icon_cry I am a Japanophile, but otakus scare me whenever I go to anime conventions Icon_cry Personnaly, I don't know "some" words of Japanese. Ever since High school, I have taken it upon myself to learn Japanese (I am an autodidact person). Thus, I do not scream Kawaii (how Kowaii as some do thinking it means the same thing XD) when I see something cute. As Melvin was lucky to witness (for I make a huge case of hiding it), I cry of joy. Yes I do and am ashamed by it. (Hi Aaron btw! Melv says happy new year! :3).

Well... I dunno what my point really was, but I like languages and find it fun to use it where it's still of good taste. I don't throw my German (Aber, Ich spreche kein Deutsh!! ;_Icon_wink or French at people's face just for fun (except in this case... Because it says "But, I speak no German!" so you guys don't think I actually am fluent in it... Kinda destroyed the point... Oh well). Being stuck inside for too long has debilitated my mind.

Hum... What was I saying? Oh yeah, I use Japanese or other languages because I can. Because I know them enough and because it makes my choices more versatile. Moreover, I use English names!!! OMG! But I am French! It's a mather of feeling comfortable enough about the language to want to try something apparently different... When I first joined the server, some 4 years ago... There were not so many Japanese names >_< !! It WAS cool, because it was a little bit different and people seek ingenuity. It's cool not to be a sheep and not to follow the gerenal crowd, so we try to find interesting ways to make our in-game names original.

Well, this is for my part on HeRo. I don't use Japanese in my everyday language unless I speak with Japanese people. I think trying to mix it is only something otakus do to seem cool between themselves as with the Yos having their own street language.

As for OTHER language (ah-ah! Animes are not limited to Japanese and english!), I do mix english in my French and rarely, some German to my English. Because I learn so many languages, eventually I will add more of them in my spoken language. Why? Because I cannot always think of the right word in my own language all the time. Because my head is full of holes, and those damnable words escape me sometimes and I go for the one I know but maybe in a different language hoping the person I am talking to will know what I am talking about.

Although, on a nother note, I have to admit, that I find it funny but "chic" to hear English person say French words to sound more uppity! XD In Germany, we found a shop called "Oh la la tr?s chic" (OMG very chic) and it was so ridiculous, I loved it! (cuz it's funneh). I may not sound as litterate as Slate, but I guess it's not that bad.

Just don't mind the weird stuff. Germany without Melvin makes me something something...

Be realist and demand the impossible!
Sorsha - High Priestess - 85/55
[Image: tabidatiks60ba1.jpg]
01-02-2010 03:11 PM
Dementia Offline
Play RO? Hah! NEVAR!!

If I may, I'm really used to watching animes in Japanese with English Sub, and I've watched a certain anime twice now and thought "Hey, I wonder what the English voices are like?" :3

So I swapped the sound over to English Dub, and hearing "-Chan" and "-Senpai" at the end of everyones names in English almost drove me nuts. (And I couldnt stand the voices, why do English dubs always suck?)

Its not really a solution to your dilemma (Which for all I know could be solved by now) But Japanese words belong with Japanese people, English words belong with English people, and the Spanish get French or something.??Unless you're british with giant glowing eyes and a stereotypical sailor uniform, you shouldn't mix them.

...unless you'd beat me up if you weren't allowed to, then go ahead.

Ghastly Waffle (Rogue) - Half Main
Aussie Waffle (Hunter) - Other Half Main
Japanese Waffle (Ninja) - Level Buddy
Errend Ebecee (Baby Aco) - Eh...

I've got a MOTHER (turkey festival) PENGUIN AVATAR!
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2010 07:48 AM by Dementia.)
01-07-2010 07:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply