Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Buddhist Guild? (reopened)
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

Buddhist Guild? (reopened)

[Image: SanghaPromo.png]
Guild Leader is Saro. I will change the image soon.

[Image: K2CmgOR.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2010 02:40 AM by Whispers.)
03-17-2010 01:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

RE: Buddhist Guild?

Yesterday everyone in Revolt (of which my Hunter, Gyujin, is a member) was commenting on all the people advertising for their various guilds on main. There are WoE guilds, social guilds, a French-speaking-only guild, Story has his artists' guild, there's a fishing guild, and I made the joke of a baby mining guild (Minors ftw!) in the forums. That's when someone commented that next there will be a religion guild and someone else replied with an "oh god >_<".

I started thinking to myself, a religion guild actually wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I'm sure the server has many Christians and Catholics, maybe a few Jews and Muslims, a lot of athiests and agnostics, I'm sure. Perhaps there may also be some Buddhists here on HeRO.

Would it be a bad idea to create a Buddhist guild? Would it be a good idea? Well, this - as any action created in the universe - depends on intention. Thinking

So, with this in mind and the sole intention of having a gathering ground for the Buddhists here in the server I have created a Buddhist guild - Sangha.

I was originally planning on having only Buddhists in the guild since it is a Buddhist guild, of course. Then someone offered to help (actually, she wanted to do it all herself and kindly suggested I spend my time leveling myself =p) and decided to stay in the guild feeling she could learn a lot. I feel she has.

That's when I decided that it should be a guild not solely for adherents of Buddhism but also anyone who follows the Buddhist path in some form or another*.

*(You see, Buddhism encompasses three aspirations - or scopes, if you will. There is the basic scope which is the wish to just live a happy, stress-free life; the intermediate - or middling - scope which is to secure a positive rebirth in the next life or even seal oneself from ever entering one of the three lower realms ever again; and the great scope which is to attain enlightenment in this very lifetime. Only the latter two scopes require any sort of faith in Buddhist mythology, iconism, or metaphysical beliefs. The first - the basic scope - is what many people refer to when they speak of Buddhism as a "philosophical ideal" or "way of life" as opposed to an actual religion. This, of course, is not bad as we all live our lives to be happy [this, in Buddhism, is actually the meaning to life - metaphorically] and the initial scope of Buddhism offers a more logical approach to doing this than going out to do all of these fantastic things for a few moments of glee.)

So, here we have it - with or against your approval - the HeRO Buddhist guild - Sangha!

"All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else."
-Buddha

03-17-2010 01:57 AM
Story Teller Offline
Passionate Artist

Whispers' almighty Buddha power will repel evil demons!! Anyways, I don't object to ideas like this as long as it does not hurt the other groups. Besides, RO is a game for enjoyment and thus I show mine through drawings.

[Image: tumblr_ny8egaizy41ugfaiio1_500.gif]
03-17-2010 03:01 AM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

eh well imho a Buddhist guild is inherently inclusive, so i don't think it would be a problem... so +1

Might want my very-very-very-rarely-used-just-for-fun autocast sage to join Ok
and oh my, Mpu Tantular WAS a Buddhist! Oh My God you learn something everyday!

when and where are you usually online?

-w-
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2010 03:46 AM by mahawirasd.)
03-17-2010 03:33 AM
Rei Ayanami Offline
hungry hungry hippo

err, sorry to be a party pooper. but if you do make a guild that is based on Buddhist principles, i believe that it will result in lots of 1/1 novi since killing things are, well you are not supposed to. but i like cute novi so if it does result in that, it means more hugable things for me Icon_wink

i am for your guild going ahead, i still think it has the potential to create some form of controversy because it is religious based but i can't think what exactly can happen. nonetheless i do feel it is rather inappropriate to call your guild sangha, maybe name it something else but please not any of the Buddha/ Bodhisattva names or "sangha" or "dharma". i would not like any potential future guild/woe angst to be directed to or associated with the triple gem. i do hope you understand.

for non Buddhist, the term "Sangha" means "the assembly" which actually in the original context refers to the assembly of monks who follows the Buddha. after his passing it refers to the senior monks who have achieved some form of enlightenment but in general terms it covers the entire community that practices Buddhism. the community is one of the sacred facets of Buddhism aka. triple gem which include:
1.) the Buddha who is revered as the original teacher. (some people adds the list of Bodhisattvas to this like an honor roll of enlightened ones)
2.) the dharma which is the teachings of the Buddha.
3.) the sangha which is the community that practices Buddhism.
all three are considered to be equally sacred.

i do wish you a success; for obvious reasons i will not enforce my views and ways on you. but i hope you understand and would consider how i feel about it as a fellow Buddhist and reconsider the naming of your guild.

When someone calls you a lunatic and the first thing that came to mind is a cute, fluffy, white bunny, you know you've played too much RO.

Welcome to our world.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2010 04:06 AM by Rei Ayanami.)
03-17-2010 04:05 AM
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

Well, we're killing things which don't exist (outside of the emptiness phenomenon, of course).??They are but images connected to bits of data which contain a number that, when dropped to zero, are replaced with images representing the first image as having died.??We're not killing actual creatures.??=p

Secondly, we are by no means a WoE guild.??We are but a simple collective of all lineages of Buddhism practitioners here on HeRO.??I, too, had a hard time with the name.??I was thinking, perhaps, "Auspicious" would have been a good name, but I wanted any Buddhist to see the name of the guild and know it to be of Buddhist orient.??An image of the Buddha, Dharma Wheel, a Stupa et cetera in the emblem would not have been enough to let this person know "this is a guild for Buddhists to come together to share their ideals, concerns, questions, debates, lives."

"Sangha" would be a bad name, indeed, if this were a guild centered around anything negative, but it is not.??Every vision I have of this guild is completely positive and centered on nothing more than bringing together some like-minded individuals to celebrate the awesomeness that is the Buddhadharma.??^_^

03-17-2010 08:42 AM
Rei Ayanami Offline
hungry hungry hippo

awww no cute novi CryIcon_biggrin

When someone calls you a lunatic and the first thing that came to mind is a cute, fluffy, white bunny, you know you've played too much RO.

Welcome to our world.
03-17-2010 09:50 AM
Mort Offline
Jens is NOT from Jennifer :P

RE:??Buddhist Guild?

Rei Ayanami Wrote:err, sorry to be a party pooper. but if you do make a guild that is based on Buddhist principles, i believe that it will result in lots of 1/1 novi since killing things are, well you are not supposed to. but i like cute novi so if it does result in that, it means more hugable things for me Icon_wink

Wrong, actually, you can gain several levels in the training grounds without killing anything.

(oh yes, I love nitpicking. Good luck with the guild tho.)

Quote:If you say 'plz' because it is shorter than 'Please' then I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
03-17-2010 10:41 AM
Manifus Offline
Infinite Zero

RE:??Buddhist Guild?

Whispers Wrote:Well, we're killing things which don't exist (outside of the emptiness phenomenon, of course).??They are but images connected to bits of data which contain a number that, when dropped to zero, are replaced with images representing the first image as having died.??We're not killing actual creatures.??=p

Violence is violence despite the false reasonings behind it! Like omg. D:

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2010 04:27 PM by Manifus.)
03-17-2010 04:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

RE: Buddhist Guild? (closed)

Closed the guild since I'm never on Whispers (which is kinda funny when you think about it) and I felt that by never being on this char yet trying to run a Buddhist guild on this char was counterproductive to what I was trying to produce.??So, yeah.??No1

04-05-2010 08:33 PM