Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Alice in Wonderland!!!!
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

Alice in Wonderland!!!!

I just got back and omfg it is awesome!??xD

Also, I'd suggest seeing it in 3D.??There are no "WHOOOOOOA IT'S COMING AT YOU OUT OF THE SCREEN!!" moments, so seeing it in 2D won't ruin any particular scenes for you.??There are moments which make use of the 3D - such as when Alice first enters Underland (yes, Underland - see it and this will make sense to you Icon_wink) and there are glowy things (like pollen or just general fantasy-land glowy things) floating in the air.??The 3D projects some of these glowy thingies into the theater.??The same is done with other worldly effects throughout the movie.??All-in-all, while being done very well, the 3D is very subtle which I enjoyed.??I hate it when 3D is done either cheaply (having only two layers with the object of attention in the foreground/focus and everything else on a background layer/out of focus) and/or they abuse it and do they whole "OMG IT'S COMING OUT AT YOU - PHEAR!!" thing.??X_x

Rather, watching Alice was like sitting in a [giant] room in which a wall was removed and beyond it was Wonderland.

As far as everything else goes - plot, characters, et cetera - I won't even mention to avoid spoilage.??^_^

Well, I will say that Professor Snape as the blue caterpillar was well-played.??I'm the only one who caught it and I had to jump on IMDB to prove it to everyone else!??xD

<--[awesome] Nerd

[Image: K2CmgOR.png]
03-21-2010 04:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

RE: Alice in Wonderland!!!!

*sniff* I coulda swore I saw Diallo reply in here. ={

I was only gonna reply to these three - his good bye thread, his games thread, and this one. Oh well. -_-''

03-21-2010 09:22 PM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

[SPOILER and WALL OF TEXT alert]

well i saw it a couple of weeks ago... although i must confess i enjoyed the eye candy, the story left a lot to be desired...

acting was nondescript. Even the hatter, from whom i expected much, can't seem to shake off his crazy pirate's strides, willy-wonka's facial expression, and edward's hand movements. Sure they grow on you, sure they're remarkable, but this just leaves the Hatter with an empty character...
The only actor worth mentioning imho is Helena... she tends to overdo things, but it fits exactly with the Red Queen's shoes, or shall i say hats?
Even the white queen looked queer and distant. Her other movies seem to make most use of her ditzy hopeless facial expressions. But in a movie such as Alice where all the make up and graphics are superfluous, an actor has to provide real character for it to show. And she failed. Horribly.

And i must say that although the message they tried to convey is a good one, the way and the tone of telling it is out of place. It becomes too preachy and judgmental... And although the illusion of "choice" was preserved, it still failed to give Alice enough time to think over and contemplate properly. The meetings with the caterpillar was good, but perhaps not enough of such wisdom/revelation moments are given in the movie...

-w-
03-21-2010 10:07 PM
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

There's no spoilers in your post.
But there ARE spoilers in here.
Don't say you weren't warned!

Anywho - yeah, I caught Jack Sparrow in the Hatter a couple of times, but I think you list the other characters simply because they are his biggest creations.??What of Sweeney Todd, John Dillinger, Ichabod Crane, Gilbert Grape or his characters from From Hell, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Blow or Once Upon a Time in Mexico???Of course we saw them.??Those are all Johnny Depp.??In the same we saw Johnny Depp in all of his characters.

Do you not think Lethal Weapon or Goodfellas when you see Joe Pesci???LoL

I think the White Queen was kind of odd, but I feel her second scene (or first if you don't include the Hatter's flashback) saves her when she runs to the dog after finding she is safe from her entourage to act without her "majestic movements" - if you will.??That makes it kind of obvious that she acts that way out of necessity to her subjects so as to exude her queenliness.??The opposite is found in the red queen's entourage with their prostheticly-enlarged aggregates.??Perhaps there is a message there, hmm???Ok
Aside, the White Queen was supposed to be queer and distant in that she was carefree and peaceful (and a denizen of Underland).??LoL

I don't like to read into things, though.??When I was a kid in English class at grammar school they taught us to read into the "theme" of a book.??"What is the theme of the book, Christopher?"
Hell, I don't know.??I just enjoyed the story and took what I wanted when I wanted it.??Plus, anything can be looked at a million ways.??One could read into Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland as sexist since Alice doesn't get married and becomes a business woman.
Is it sexist???More than likely not - she's independent and slays the Jabberwocky - the exact opposite ideals of what it means to be sexist.??LoL

My point is that reading into the "theme" of things runs the risk of barring someone from a good story.??I liked Alice in Wonderland despite what it may have been trying to teach people.??I doubt it was trying to teach anything.??It's just a story about a girl who is put into a very difficult situation then falls down a rabbit hole to find herself in an even more difficult situation and, with the help of some unlikely friends, finds her way out of all these predicaments.??Ok

I still think it should have been longer for better development, though.??=/

03-21-2010 10:49 PM
Kittie Offline
Cheshire Cat

*not reading the text since i don't wanna read spoilers*

i'm prob going next weekend and i can't wait!!
its like this movie is made for me @__@

i've been a huge Alice in wonderlands fan ever since i was little, and that in combination with one of my 2 fav movie directors Tim burton <3 and Johnny depp, could it even be better then this? YES! since i was glad Burton chose a 'unknown' actrice for Alice. [/rant]

i guess i'll post here again after i've seen it x'D

Time zone GTM+1

Kittie- 99/70 Brewer Creator
Do a Little Dance 99/70 WoE Gypsy

[Image: nz0mqx.jpg]
03-22-2010 02:42 AM
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

I love the girl they chose to play Alice because she's not exactly pretty yet really pretty.??Makes no sense, but to me that (plus the British accent) makes her perfect.??xD

It's funny they said Anne Hathaway is in it and you expect them to mean she's playing Alice since they credit the major celebrities (Johnny Depp and Anne Hathaway) on all the advertisements.??When I saw it I was like, "That's not Anne Hathaway... ...Is it???0.o?"??Then I find out Anne Hathaway actually plays the White Queen.??xp

03-22-2010 03:37 AM
Iced Blue Away
The Original Crystal Light

I dislike Anne Hathaway in this roll. Her face is to recognizable, even Jonny Depp didn't look completely like himself *make sense?*

Personally the movie left me wanting something more, it wasn't the best nor was it the worse movie ive seen this year. And I also think I would have rather seen it in 2d. Some area's of the movie 3d just didn't work or add to it.

but then again this is only one persons oppion.
03-22-2010 10:02 AM
Shikari Offline
Br?

Personally I give the movie 6/10 (though id watch it again).

The hatter reminded me too much of Jack Sparrow, the voices, movements and expressions.

The white queen....I had too look the other way everytime she appeared on screen, with the exception of the dog part, mostly because of her way of walking, I found it somewhat agrevating O_o...

And finally, what i found most annoying-> They didn't make it ovious enough that this was a continuation of the original story till the very end...so 3/4's of the movie I kept thinking "...thats not how it happened =/..."

Now for the things i liked:

The cat :D
The non excessive 3D
Red Queen
The over all animations

-As a side note- It isnt really a childrens film @_@
-As another side note- Its kinda of an adaptation of "Through the Looking Glass", a story that was Alice in Wonderland's sequel.

[Image: 2wnxvtw.png]

Proud Member of Desolation of Eden
03-22-2010 01:08 PM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

<3 Whispers.
well i understand the stark contrasts they try to portray, but imho anne hathaway's acting is still very much meh...

and yeah, imho the Cheshire cat is teh pwnage, totally made my day Ok

it's a fun movie. Much more enjoyable than avatar. But still nowhere near the best...

-w-
03-23-2010 10:59 PM
thecursed Offline
The Great Saiyaman!!

I think the movie was visually pleasing and good action scenes. However i think the story was mediocre, I personally felt the story was very rushed but thank god they didnt make it into a trilogy. Also the story left a few things unexplained about certain characters, i felt you didnt get to know them well enough to feel a great sense of emotion towards any of them. Over all i think it was a good movie though, I thought the character Alice was very interesting and the chesire cat was cool.

Trowa - Retired Noob

Quoted for truth:
azurerogue Wrote:Players leaving the server (recently) has nothing to do with quests.  We leave because we're bored.  HeRo is an excellent server, and I'm not relocating to a new one - I'm just bored with RO in general and I have way too much going on personally to commit time here.
03-24-2010 02:45 PM