Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vendor Map
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

RE: Vendor Map

Your main problem with vending map:

-doesn't solve the so-called "vending lag" problem when you want to shop. You just transfer the problem out of prontera into another map. You still lag the moment you enter the vending map if you lag whenever you want to shop.

-lanes? maybe. Organized? Not really. It's still rows and rows of random shop, and people can just as easily stack shop on each other compare to Prontera, so a new map doesn't really solve those existing problem.

-if all shops are kicked out of the world into this map only, what happens to those OTHER maps with vendors and merchant? Rule change so convenient stores cannot exist anymore? Everyone vends in vending map only? If such rule doesn't exist and people can still vend anywhere they want within limits of the current rules, then... why have this vending map at all? No reason to move out of Prontera then.

-technical side, there is something called the "vending tile GAT" set so that players may only vend on certain tiles, which is very ideal for most vending maps. Unfortunately, this requires a source code edit and a recompile. While browedit's website provides the source code change, I believe that the server does avoid recompiling unless necessary cause it results in a relatively long down time for the day to get it done.

-business side: most new players pop out of Prontera. Server looks horribly dead when your "capital city" is void of shops. GM's business perspective will say vending map is a horrible idea because you are essentially shooting yourself at your first impression for new players to look lively and having an economy. (No, new players won't read or check out the npc that warps you to the vending map. If we have people asking what is our rate every day, what makes you think that they will read server description saying that there's a vending map?)

So there you go for "problems to solve first" before you talk about vending map.

@whosell though, I'm not going to touch it with a 5 foot pole.

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
04-26-2010 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aziral Offline
Master Of All Evil

A few of your point sound only half-right :

for the vending lag: dont misunderstand, its not lagging when I'm shopping I hate, its lagging when I'm in the capital to tel, shop at NPCs, quest or juts to sit around and talk because of the vendor. So yeah, I'd like lagging on a map only when I actually wanna buy something.Icon_biggrin

organised lanes? hu, yes! still rows and rows. ok, but rows alone are easier to navigate than all the other shops that form clustered rows altogether somethimes. However, I guess that if the thing about recompiling the server with the new code is such a hassle, then yes: it WOULD be hard to implement, but not impossible.

About the other shops like convenience store? You musn't have read my original post suggestion to allow in rule to have shop selling item worth less than 10k : it would most definitely allow convenience store O_o;;

Business side: So we should'nt kick a few merch of the capital because the newcomer would feel that the server is dead...because they aren't 100 autolselling merch, hu? I'll admit it this way: since this is a good server and that I definitely want more people to join, I suppose it can be a good argument. But I dont really feel good about it, because to me you need friendly people or a server capital to look alive, not 100 autoselling merch O.o;;

And please it's just an idea and apparently avery single vet around just said that bot this and the @whosells command are impossible and/or uninterresting, so fine:

it was a bad idea, I'm sorry everyone, I'll try to come with something a little better next time Icon_biggrin
04-26-2010 10:22 PM
TPC Offline
I like pie

There is an easier solution: Start hanging around in other towns than pront. Use pront as the vender map. There are lots of great towns out there, some filled with active and interesting people. Not all other towns are ghost towns.

Or get some more ram on your box so it can handle pront. I'm not getting any lag there most of the time.

My chars: TPC / Tjuven / Dansare / Sinne / Magiker / Byracka / Krigare / Andreas
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2010 10:32 PM by TPC.)
04-26-2010 10:32 PM
Ngjoko Offline
Megaman, not Rockman!!!

I agree, geffen, einborch, and lighthalzen look deserted, though i don't think it's a good idea to stick around einborch since i'd seen a bunch of venomous and noxious spawn in town once.

I think I'm finally going "home", renewal is fun, but there is really nothing like "heRO"...

Kyarorain, Shield Crusader
Erizabeth, Battle Sage
Derpette, Int Brewer
Katerine, Battle Acolyte
04-27-2010 12:13 AM
Général_Argos Offline
Removed by GM

Einbroch is a lagy town even when it is empty + it is a hassle for newbies to go there to start shopping.

The only 'ideal' solution is @whosell: would have less merchant near the fountain in pront but still enough to sell "a viable economy".

IGN: 9000KRIM Alts:  Morradin, KRIMSTEAL
Banned: Krimlin, Krimlogas, Lord_Krimlogas, General_Argos
Krim's grocery list

¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_-KRIMLIN-¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯/
Murphy law.  The only true one.  
[Image: krimstyleg.jpg]
04-27-2010 12:55 AM
Seth~ Offline
Half-ling Assasin

"...i don't think it's a good idea to stick around einborch since i'd seen a bunch of venomous and noxious spawn in town once."

LOL.

most wanted buying list
http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=19956
04-27-2010 02:39 AM