Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
GM-Azote
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

RE: GM-Azote

Uhm Joe. That Nitro in games is actually Nitroglycerin. Its the active ingredient of Dynamite. Very explosive, but not directly Nitrogen xD

So you're actually correct! Go on exploding things with pride that they are scientifically correct. (See "Hard Science Fiction" or "Science and Entertainment Exchange" on your favorite metasearch or wiki)

Somebody more familiar with chemistry can elaborate I hope...

N - Nitrogen
N2O - "NOS" - nitrous oxide - laughing gas
C3H5N3O9 - Nitro Glycerin - dynamite

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2010 09:07 PM by Motenai_Ronin.)
06-07-2010 08:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mort Offline
Jens is NOT from Jennifer :P

RE:??GM-Azote

The Legendary Joe Wrote:Damn media influences.??Whenever I touch nitro on video games it goes BOOM.??And I thought a few pages back it was described as a volatile gas. Oh well, my mistake.

Though, get enough heat near those tanks of nitro, that's another story.

That's because "nitro" and nitrogen aren't the same thing.
The thing commonly called "nitro" is a nitrous oxide, where nitrogen exists in oxidation number +1, which with the oxygen being (as in all oxides) -2, gives an empirical formula of N2O.

Quote:If you say 'plz' because it is shorter than 'Please' then I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
06-08-2010 05:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mort Offline

RE:??GM-Azote

Motenai_Ronin Wrote:Uhm Joe. That Nitro in games is actually Nitroglycerin. Its the active ingredient of Dynamite. Very explosive, but not directly Nitrogen xD

So you're actually correct! Go on exploding things with pride that they are scientifically correct. (See "Hard Science Fiction" or "Science and Entertainment Exchange" on your favorite metasearch or wiki)

Somebody more familiar with chemistry can elaborate I hope...

N - Nitrogen
N2O - "NOS" - nitrous oxide - laughing gas
C3H5N3O9 - Nitro Glycerin - dynamite

Naw, I'm pretty sure Joe meant Nitro as N2O (usually performance booster in combustion engines, but by the way, also formerly used in medicine as anaesthetic, you may know it as "laughing gas". Still sometimes used in dentistry)

"Nitroglycerin" is an old term, dropped in favor of IUPAC systematic nomenclature, and also in organic chemistry empirical formulas are very unfavorable, because they tell nothing about the structure of the compound, which is essential especially in this branch of chemistry, where different position of ONE atom can drastically alter properties of the compound.
In this case, the empirical formula tells us nothing about what nitroglycerin is, we'd have to only guess and probably be wrong.
Well, it's a triester of propan-1,2,3-triol aka glycerol and nitric acid, explaining the structure would be too difficult and long for people with little to none knowledge of chemistry..

...so here's a VERY simplified formula self-made in MS paint, the angles and bond lengths aren't proper, blah blah blah, just wanted to give you a rough illustration.

[Image: 2zf0ep3.jpg]

Oh btw, did you know nitroglycerin is also used in medical treatment of cardiovascular problems? More specifically as a vasodilator.

edit: oops, forgot to include the pic

Quote:If you say 'plz' because it is shorter than 'Please' then I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2010 05:30 AM by Mort.)
06-08-2010 05:29 AM
ShadowValentine Offline
Spero Dum Spiro.

RE: ??GM-Azote

Whispers Wrote:(Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?)

Phoenix Wright - "Guilty until proven innocent".

Søren Kierkegaard Wrote:And when the hourglass has run out, the hourglass of temporality, when the noise of secular life has grown silent and its restlessness or ineffectual activism has come to an end, when everything around you is still, as it is in eternity, then eternity asks you and every individual in these millions and millions about only one thing: whether you have lived in despair or not.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2010 11:50 AM by ShadowValentine.)
06-08-2010 11:48 AM
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

Thanks Mort for that academically verifiable explanation. Icon_suprised

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
06-08-2010 12:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zeena Offline

Someone paid attention in Chemistry!
06-11-2010 09:12 PM
Mort Offline

Well, actually I study physics and chemistry on university soo this is the kind of things everybody here has to know in order not to get kicked out xD

06-12-2010 04:42 AM
Zeena Offline

I see hahah. Reading that just made my brain twist into a knot. But way to know knowledge! Icon_biggrin
06-12-2010 11:38 AM