Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upgrade Server?
Psithief Offline

RE: Upgrade Server?

Omg, ram disks. I forgot those even existed.

I used to play here a long time ago.
07-16-2010 10:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TPC Offline
I like pie

I edited my post a bit while you posted, so read again.

My chars: TPC / Tjuven / Dansare / Sinne / Magiker / Byracka / Krigare / Andreas
07-16-2010 10:55 AM
Psithief Offline

So Ragnarok looks for extracted files outside of .grf files? There's so much about the client I don't know! :D

I used to play here a long time ago.
07-16-2010 11:07 AM
GM-Azote Offline
The Ban GM

Aaronock Wrote:Hi everyone!
Well I know we had a server move recently to help reduce lag, but I feel it hasn't removed it for some players still.??I decided to check the specs and read that these are our current server specs listed on our heRO homepage.

* Intel Duo-Core 2 E8400 3 Ghz FSB 1333 Mhz 6 MB cache
* 4 GB of memory DDRII PC 6400

I looked up some information and talked it over with some people, and they all pretty much nodded their head we're due for an upgrade to server.

My boyfriend said 6GB Ram is now standard for a server to run on, and on top of that I decided to see how old our processor was (for you who don't know what that is its our Intel Duo-Core 2) and find it is just now over 5 years old. An upgrade to a quad core could help in the long run with performance for our server.

Granted I know my net is not the best but several others still experience lag on the server, some with much stronger connections than I have, and that is why I felt compelled to suggest this.??Using some of the donation money for the actual server would be really nice to have at this point.
No offence but I don't think you know what you're talking about. 6 GB RAM standard for a server to run on? Since when?

heRO doesn't even take 15% of the current available memory. We also don't use more than 15% of the processor. We could run many eAthena server on that computer, easily, eAthena is not ressource intensive at all.

When the computer was moved in the host's facility, Pandora also had the server switched to a 100 mbps line.

When it was hosted on the previous machine, we felt a 2~3 seconds game-stop when a shroomer killed a bumch of mushrooms altogether. We don't recieve this kind of feeling anymore.

Some players will always experience some lag here and there. It's due to the connection in between the server to its host, the host to your internet provider and your internet provider to you. There may even be intermediates in between the server's host and your internet provider. This is just as much sources to cause lag.

This explains why some players lag and some never lag. We don't have any control over connection lag. We don't have parameters to make players from a certain part of the world lag more. Why would anyone want to do this anyway?

[Image: Azote.gif]
HeROwiki
Support tickets
07-16-2010 01:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Wow is all I got to say. I have gotten some other suggestions in this topic and you come in here and basically talk down at me like I'm a freaking idiot.

You can feel that way all you want Azote, but isn't a GM suppose to not sound so rude to players trying to better their server? The last thing I want is to be talked down to like I'm being a brat when I legitimately am concerned about our lag issues.

Constantly we are told it is on our end, and we are trying to find solutions potentially even through this topic to fix it...on our end, and am even trying some of these things that have been suggested and strangely enough the turning off music thing helped a little but hasn't fixed my problem entirely. I will be trying TPC's idea soon once I figure out how to fully do it myself, should that fix it I will then tell others how to do it and hope it helps them too. Your information is I guess nice to know but does nothing to fix my problem.

Your last question is rhetorical, I'm not even going to deem it with a response.

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
07-16-2010 02:05 PM
Kari Nogashi Offline
Forum Dweller

T.D.T.
07-16-2010 03:13 PM
TPC Offline
I like pie

Another thing, some cheap home routers are cheap because they have sub-standard hardware in them, they can't handle too many connections or too high bandwidth usage, or can just be slow in general.

I overclocked my router a while back and it actually helped some, I noticed RO getting more responsive for things like clicking dialogs, they come up faster. It really helped speed up fishing and mining. Most routers can't be overclocked however, I was just lucky to have one that could be. Turning off any features in the router you don't really need might help too. And if the router does QoS you might experiment with turning it on with different settings (add the ports heRO uses as high priority), or turning it off.

My chars: TPC / Tjuven / Dansare / Sinne / Magiker / Byracka / Krigare / Andreas
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2010 11:22 PM by TPC.)
07-16-2010 11:19 PM
Général_Argos Offline
Removed by GM

@Aaronock:
1) Are you playing using a computer using wi-fi to connect to your router?
2) Wich OS are you using?
3) Is your hard-drive saturated?
4) Have your hard-drive been defragmented and/or formatted recently?
5) Are you running other programs in background that are heavy in cpu/memory usage???
6) Are you running other programs in background that are heavy in bandwith usage? (like streaming music or downloading stuff)
7) Is there someone else using a computer in your home when you lag???
8) Does your dad/mom download pron?
9) If you have a wi-fi network, is it properly secured???Could a neibourgh use it?

IGN: 9000KRIM Alts:  Morradin, KRIMSTEAL
Banned: Krimlin, Krimlogas, Lord_Krimlogas, General_Argos
Krim's grocery list

¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_-KRIMLIN-¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯_¯/
Murphy law.  The only true one.  
[Image: krimstyleg.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2010 01:32 AM by Général_Argos.)
07-17-2010 01:27 AM