Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best Advanced Mining Spot Class?
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

Best Advanced Mining Spot Class?

Now I ask this cuz there's a wealth of items I want to mine in the advanced spot. However, No matter how high leveled my smith is, I simply cannot flee or hit those damned teddies enough to mine there for long before dying or being forced to try to lure them away, which really sucks since so many people want it's card. It doesn't help that everything tends to want to respawn right at the mining spot when it killed (often).

Agi Super Novice could be a potential winner, Agi up and improve concentration make it's flee superb, almost comparable to a sinx's flee, as well as being able to learn Increase weight limit (a must with all those heavy picks and stones) and a cart (also a must with any mining character).

Alchemist would be a winner, if only because of Vanilmirth's magic, but lets face it, Vani is over used and I don't particularly care for either version of vani. Alchemist basically has the same problem as smith in in that it cannot get enough flee or hit to do much without getting hurt vrs teddy. I suppose I could go with a dex/int variant but that would cut into how much I can carry...

Now I've seen novices play dead down there and mine while doing that, but I hate relying on pets/homunculi for such meanial chores, and it's a little too boring to ask someone to come down there and protect me when I got around 800 picks to go through. But I'm interested in hearing how other miners are doing it, assuming they are.
08-11-2010 02:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Navis Offline
Lime in the Coconut

RE: Best Advanced Mining Spot Class?

My advice is don't bother relying on trying to flee Teddy Bear's 272 hit. That's an incredibly high amount of flee required, even for Agi classes, and investing in all that Agi cuts into your other stats. Even as a 97 Sniper with Improve Conc, Wind Walk, True Sight, and a few other Agi gears, I only have 245 flee myself (no flee cards like Whisper; I strictly use the Archer card set).

Instead, your options should just be to kill the mob quickly. Naturally, you will be taking damage, and the best way to deal with that is probably carry some restoration items in your cart.

An alternative I've seen used to some success is using a looting pet like Kraben on a high Str class like a Champ or Paladin, who can deal with the mobs quickly and has Heal. The big problem with using looting pets is dealing with dropping Stones, and it becomes a tedious chore. I haven't thought of Playing Dead.

[Image: maxballs.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2010 03:57 AM by Navis.)
08-11-2010 03:50 AM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

if you don't like vanils, what about lifs/sheeps/birds?
they could easily do just as well in either killing/tanking/flee tanking respectively... and you can get all the str you want, have inc weight, and a cart...

-w-
08-11-2010 05:48 AM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Fillir maxed out I hear is actually pretty darn amazing.
ANNNNND not a lot of people do Fillirs here.

Sheep would take much longer to get good here Wira.
I'd still say if you want to be undistracted while using advanced mining spot I suggest alchemist+fillir/lif/vanil. :O

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
08-11-2010 06:47 AM
Zerrif Offline
One of Many

I go mining either with my Blacksmith or my Alchemist, for weight reasons. But they both kill Teddy Bears very easily.

With the Blacksmith, I can just hammer fall the bears till they're stunned, then mammo them into submission-- granted it's not the fastest or most efficient kill method, but it works.

With the Alchemist, I don't have as much weight cap considering it's AD build, but sheeptank + bolting = safe teddy death.

I could also see support profs going down there-- fire wall + Bolting > Teddies.

Gerik - Some noob Battle High Priest
Shichiro - Some noob AD
Muarim - Some noob smith

I'm just a noob.

[Image: TeaCyber.jpg]
[Image: Proto.jpg]
08-11-2010 08:36 AM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

LOL suddenly my 60+ points mining on prof doesn't look so n00b does it guys! Evil

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
08-11-2010 08:45 AM
Navis Offline
Lime in the Coconut

Lol, sadly I got stuck Mining with my 2700 weight Sniper because I didn't know that Mining points didn't share at the time. Granted, I know I could just make another fishing/mining character because 50 points is pretty easy to get.

[Image: maxballs.jpg]
08-11-2010 12:55 PM
ABlueJelly Offline
Minitru Unapproved!

Speaking of fishing, I do believe I am the only clown that fishes on his clown.
Next, cart-abusing a ninetails is actually a really good method. It's not as difficult as you make it sound (unless there are a *ton* of others around doing the same), and if you take a moment to stack everything, you could end up with nearly 20x your weight capacity. Hell, at fishing, I do 1500 baits no problem, could probably even do 2k if I wanted. and that's with a 2760 weight capacity, no cart, and ~900 devoted to gears, wings, tofu, and the fishing rod.
'Course, I did the quest initially under the same pretense as Navis, but, hey, if you try some times, you just might find- you get what you need =P
Also note Siromas are another good choice, however, I like the kitsune more because it's a bit more of a light eater. 4 tofu get me through all 1500 baits, no matter the starting hunger.

Play Dead's a neat idea, but isn't there a level-limit on it? Also, I don't think novies have much for weight capacity, so would it really be worth it? I guess maybe cart-abuse a pet, but you're screwed if they camp you.

?(?????)
no IFs ANDs or XORs.
Incarn Wrote:[Jelly]'s not an idiot, he just likes to derp and actually make the derp work
"Don't crack, 'cause you might not make it back. And if you do, then you'll be alone, and ya can't live like that!"
"And they say that a Hero can save us, I'm not gonna stand here and wait..."

B> Regular, Scheduled Server Maintenance Resets
08-11-2010 02:07 PM
Landon Offline
Snappin necks, Cashin Checks

Whitesmith is the best for mining, hands down. Kills everything and holds a ton of weight.

Hercules 97 High Priest
Shepard 99 Whitesmith
Hawk 98 Clown
Barossa 97 Professor
08-11-2010 02:09 PM
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

RE:??Best Advanced Mining Spot Class?

ABlueJelly Wrote:Play Dead's a neat idea, but isn't there a level-limit on it? Also, I don't think novies have much for weight capacity, so would it really be worth it? I guess maybe cart-abuse a pet, but you're screwed if they camp you.
Yes, the highest level you can use Play dead is 99. Only requirement is that you are a Novice/High Novice, not a super novice. it USED to be you got it when you reset on extended classes, but??You lost it when you put points in your Basic skills, so it wasn't as big of an issue, since they couldn't really attack anything.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2010 02:19 PM by The Legendary Joe.)
08-11-2010 02:19 PM