Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NaNoWriMo Anyone?
DramasticStar Offline
Swoosh!

NaNoWriMo Anyone?

So...since NaNoWriMo involves writing I'm guessing this would go here...

Is anyone participating in NaNoWriMo this year???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For those of you who don't know what NaNoWriMo is...

NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. Every year since 1999 people from all over the world have gathered to write a novel in the 30 days of November. And by novel...I mean a 50,000 word novel. Some write more than that...and some don't hit the 50k mark, but to win you have to write at lease 50k words.

http://www.nanowrimo.org

It's pretty exciting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you would like to find your fellow heRO's on NaNoWriMo, please follow the link below. It is a topic specifically made for us to find each other.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3756899

~Anic~
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2010 05:54 AM by DramasticStar.)
10-24-2010 08:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ngjoko Offline
Megaman, not Rockman!!!

RE: NaNoWriMo Anyone?

I'm sure Gerik's(zerrif forum name) just as excited. He joined last year, not sure about this year though. Good luck!

PS: put some of your work on the forums, please. Having more reading materials on the forum is always nice. Icon_biggrin

I think I'm finally going "home", renewal is fun, but there is really nothing like "heRO"...

Kyarorain, Shield Crusader
Erizabeth, Battle Sage
Derpette, Int Brewer
Katerine, Battle Acolyte
10-24-2010 09:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DramasticStar Offline
Swoosh!

I'll post some of my stuff up once NanoWriMo has started...I can't start writing until Nov 1st!!!

~Anic~
10-24-2010 09:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Idiom Offline

*gasp*

I didn't even know such a thing existed.

50,000 words? A novel in 30 days? That all seems like an impossible goal for me to achieve. The prospect of it is so exciting...

But thirty days... a novel... this would be tough. x_x; I wouldn't want to condense any of my current ideas into a thirty day period, so I'd have to come up with something original just for the contest.

50,000 words~...

I think I should give it a shot... it'll be good for me in the long run.
10-24-2010 09:51 PM
Mochi Offline

Uuhh~ 50,000 words?
*Counts fingers* one two three.. four.. five..

that's like eighteen essays/reports for college/university O_O

that's like a year and a half worth of writing O_O

Not to sound mean or anything.. but .. 50,000 words in a month? You're just begging for it to be filled up with drivel x__X .. Quality over quantity, people! D:

And this comes straight from the website FAQ ..
Quote:To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

Such indecency! D:
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2010 10:55 PM by Mochi.)
10-24-2010 10:37 PM
Idiom Offline

RE:??NaNoWriMo Anyone?

Mochi Wrote:Uuhh~ 50,000 words?
*Counts fingers* one two three.. four.. five..

that's like eighteen essays/reports for college/university O_O

that's like a year and a half worth of writing O_O

Not to sound mean or anything.. but .. 50,000 words in a month? You're just begging for it to be filled up with drivel x__X .. Quality over quantity, people! D:

That is the challenge! It would be no fun if it was something I could just "meh" about and get it done. Not to mention that the 50,000 word benchmark forces me to overcome the issues I personally have (writing, period, as opposed to the quality once written). Eighteen essays. Sweet.
10-24-2010 10:51 PM
Mochi Offline

RE: ??NaNoWriMo Anyone?

Idiom Wrote:Eighteen essays. Sweet.

College/University papers&reports =/= 50,000 words

It comes from research, analysis, (occasional) lab experiments and referencing. You can't just sit away at a table and bang the keyboard to the tune of whatever verbiage osmoses into your head from a vacuum. D:

It doesn't mean the quality of work is on par with 18 essays, much like how it takes a whole year to finish up your thesis/dissertation, let alone one that'll confer you a PhD D:
10-24-2010 10:59 PM
DramasticStar Offline
Swoosh!

Actually...50,000 words really isn't all that much if you really break it down!

50,000 / 30 = 1667 words a day

Apparently...someone reached 500,000 words one year.
That's roughly 16667 words a day though XD.

50,000 is quite attainable if you write at least 1667 words a day!
Mochi Wrote:Not to sound mean or anything.. but .. 50,000 words in a month? You're just begging for it to be filled up with drivel x__X .. Quality over quantity, people! D:

And this comes straight from the website FAQ ..
Quote:To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.
Such indecency! D:
Actually. NaNoWriMo trys to get everyone to write like that in Nov. to make their novel as long as possible. Most people use Dec to edit their novel to make it actual novel quality.

~Anic~
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2010 11:20 PM by DramasticStar.)
10-24-2010 11:15 PM
azurerogue Offline
One Dogma: THROW AD!

I'm doing NaNoWriMo.??It's not terribly hard to hit 50k in one month.??I'm planning to do it even though I'm currently in grad school and write all the time anyways - it's a nice break from the research.

Also, Mochi...??the point of NaNoWriMo and their quantity over quality approach is that revision can come LATER.??Some of the best creative work comes from learning to shut out the overwhelming urge to edit AS YOU WRITE.??It's, in fact, a technique that is encouraged in creative writing - that is, learning to tune out your inner editor while you write.??You can deal with revision any time - if you let it take over the writing process too you are mucking up your creative process with unnecessary analysis.??NaNoWriMo has helped create some amazing stories - I've read a few from people in my local area after last year's.??

Perfection comes with revision, not with increased time spent on first drafts.?

TL;DR version
Creative writing is not the same as research writing.

- Albus Dumbledore 99/70 Professor - Albus DumbIedore 92/59 Professor
- AIbus Dumbledore 93/50 Wizard - AIbus DumbIedore 1/1 Novice
- Astaroth 99/70 Creator - Dawkins 99/70 Creator
- Exemplar 98/69 Paladin - Equitas 80/47 Paladin
- Mephistopheles 95/65 Lord Knight - Shogo Kawada 97/67 Stalker
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2010 11:25 PM by azurerogue.)
10-24-2010 11:23 PM
Idiom Offline

I'm guilty of many problems that i would imagine NaNoWriMo tries to fix. I haven't gotten past a single paragraph (literally) in any story I've felt strongly about writing, simply because my editing tendencies are so overbearing. I would like to say that I am a fantastic editor and have quite the astute eye, but when it comes down to actually writing, myself, it can be such a burden, because I can immediately see issues as they crop up and every 3 steps forward are proceeded by 2.9 steps back.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2010 11:32 PM by Idiom.)
10-24-2010 11:31 PM