Poll: Should we keep the Light and Dark ranking?
This poll is closed.
Yes (Keep) 80.95% 17 80.95%
No (Discard) 19.05% 4 19.05%
Total 21 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Light and Dark Ranking (preview)
Mrmeow x_X Offline
Back from the DEAD!

RE: ??Light and Dark Ranking (preview)

Manifus Wrote:
GM-Feith Wrote:yup, i'm comming back and getting more into it. Icon_wink

I'll make new Dark and Light events this week Icon_smile

It's ironic you pick the week of my vacation from RO to come back <.<
Did you check how much points you have lately? Icon_eek
I believe you can miss a few events Icon_lol

Back from the dead, again.

The original owner and creator of Meat Grinder, Suicide Commando, Lady Venom, Psychopath and so many characters I simply can't remember.

Now just Utsav, a little hunter.
05-23-2006 10:21 AM
Find all posts by this user
Alexander Offline
Arch Angel

RE: Light and Dark Ranking (preview)

::Smacks forehead:: Yeah...I for one, wasn't too thrilled to see all my characters listed up there. One thing I loved about playing my alternate characters, was people didn't know it was me. I find that people are generally nicer to me when they don't know who I am, and actually take the time to get to know me before judging me. Icon_redface

That list kind of blew that out of the water. Hostile waters up ahead! Icon_cry
05-23-2006 11:37 AM
GM-Ben
Unregistered

Fact is light/dark points are mapped to an account and not to a character. Unless someone has an almighty algorithm to decide which character to show (which will always end up not showing the right character in certain situation) youre left with the choice of having a ranking or not. I for one, like to know where I stand compared to others. If you noticed, only the top 15 are shown. I'd prefer to keep the ranking and if really you want to play anonymously, create another account?

Also unless you completely change your behavior from a character to another what is so dramatic about people knowing about them? In most case they might realise your not such a bad person Icon_wink

Obviously what has been shown has already been shown and cant be undone. So before to remove the light and dark ranking altogether I'll let you time to consider. Remember its a videogame. There has to be some sort of achievement in it. Now no one will come to your door to beat you to death with the information they have Icon_razz

Now lets consider another aspect of the game, you know when you type @who, it list the people online? Should we remove that as well? Cause a few allready know that characters that come from an account are allways listed at the same position in the list? Sure its not as clearly identified as it is here but still the same could be achieved.

Edit: Added poll

Ben
05-23-2006 12:15 PM
GM-Feith
Unregistered

RE:??Light and Dark Ranking (preview)

Manifus Wrote:OMG FEITH IS ALIVE!?

Yup i'm still alive. I was working i was working with Ben and Pan out-game about the new GMs, the new palettes, the Zodiac quest, the gaia and aerial wings.

I had my finals, moved back to my hometown and took a small vacation to spend more time with my GF before starting my summer job.

But now i'm back.

---------------------

Back to the subject :

I agree with Ben, just make a new account then and thats it. :/
I don't think knowing all the characters attached to an account is something that bad.

If it was just me i wouldn't make a poll at all. lol
05-23-2006 12:57 PM
Mrmeow x_X Offline
Back from the DEAD!

I have an almighty algorithm ! :o
Can't you make some script so you come up to the Light\Dark NPC and tell him "this is my main char"? >.<

Back from the dead, again.

The original owner and creator of Meat Grinder, Suicide Commando, Lady Venom, Psychopath and so many characters I simply can't remember.

Now just Utsav, a little hunter.
05-23-2006 02:02 PM
Manifus Offline
Infinite Zero

GM-Ben Wrote:Also unless you completely change your behavior from a character to another what is so dramatic about people knowing about them? In most case they might realise your not such a bad person Icon_wink

Obviously what has been shown has already been shown and cant be undone. So before to remove the light and dark ranking altogether I'll let you time to consider. Remember its a videogame. There has to be some sort of achievement in it. Now no one will come to your door to beat you to death with the information they have Icon_razz

1.) Yes, some people can actually...

2.) You dont know me too well do you? ^_-

05-23-2006 03:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Alexander Offline
Arch Angel

GM-Ben Wrote:Fact is light/dark points are mapped to an account and not to a character. Unless someone has an almighty algorithm to decide which character to show (which will always end up not showing the right character in certain situation) youre left with the choice of having a ranking or not. I for one, like to know where I stand compared to others. If you noticed, only the top 15 are shown. I'd prefer to keep the ranking and if really you want to play anonymously, create another account?

Well, you have to remember, I thought what characters I had on my account would be confidential. How am I supposed to know that those kind of details would be displayed? It's no one else's business. Fair enough that you couldn't come up with a formula to figure it out- but you could have also announced it before doing it and I'm sure the players that were bothered by this would have mentioned it.

GM-Ben Wrote:Also unless you completely change your behavior from a character to another what is so dramatic about people knowing about them? In most case they might realise your not such a bad person Icon_wink

No, there is no dramatic change in behavior itself, but reputation. And without the reputation, generally, more people judge on behavior instead with the other factor absent.

GM-Ben Wrote:Obviously what has been shown has already been shown and cant be undone. So before to remove the light and dark ranking altogether I'll let you time to consider. Remember its a videogame. There has to be some sort of achievement in it. Now no one will come to your door to beat you to death with the information they have Icon_razz

I never said anything about removing it. You're right, what's done is done. I'm just expressing like a few others did, that I was not all too pleased to have such intimate details made public. It's just a game, sure. That's why I'm not totally flipping out about it. That doesn't mean I particularly liked it though.

GM-Ben Wrote:Now lets consider another aspect of the game, you know when you type @who, it list the people online? Should we remove that as well? Cause a few allready know that characters that come from an account are allways listed at the same position in the list? Sure its not as clearly identified as it is here but still the same could be achieved.

There's a difference between people trying to figure out and making assumptions, as opposed to a GM flat out telling them account information. If someone tried to figure out with @who, you still have denial and they can never be 100% certain. This isn't the case, and is a different matter entirely as a feature of the program which may or may not lead to determining who's on what account =\= a person posting factual information. And even with @who by the way, the list fluctuates. Just because you'd always show up in the "number 36 spot"...who's to say 1-35 won't be on? You can never really pinpoint that unless you complie an ENTIRE list of every person and account which could, at the least, take an insane amount of time.
05-23-2006 05:16 PM
Manifus Offline
Infinite Zero

Especially the account name :O
Knowing that makes accounts MUCH easier to hack /swt

Yeah.... one of my cousins was a hacker... so I know what can be done -.-

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2006 05:23 PM by Manifus.)
05-23-2006 05:22 PM
GM-Ben
Unregistered

I'm sorry for those that got offended by having theyre differents characters displayed.

If its a general request I agree I could remove the account name, I felt it made some information stand out. Most people use theyre main character name as theyre account name.

But you might also consider this: most people e-mail username is either the first part of their e-mail address or the whole e-mail address. Have you ever been hacked? And if your concerned about your account security just make sure your password is secure.

Brute forcing a password is only "easy" if the person youre trying to hack is using a dictionnary word or some lower case short password. Sure there are some patterns but I wont go in details. Cracking a 8 characters longs password which mix capital/lowercase letters, numbers and special characters takes a few years on an average computer and that is if you have the encrypted password string on your computer directly. Considering no-one has access to those encrypted passwords (other then the GMs) the bottleneck become the server connection. It would probably take more then a lifetime to crack one password.

Ben
05-23-2006 05:56 PM
Manifus Offline
Infinite Zero

For one, its easier than you think /ok

For two, not everyone uses there main character as their username
(I didnt! thats a sub-character that I only made ooutta boredom :O and jsut so I wouldnt forget ;_Icon_wink

And lastly, who wants to feed me? T_T

*hehe remember that time the server was hacked when we were still starting up? yeah...good times? [So glad it was fixed so that wouldn't happen again >.< atleast I hope so <.<]

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2006 06:03 PM by Manifus.)
05-23-2006 06:01 PM
Thread Closed