Poll: Should we keep the Light and Dark ranking?
This poll is closed.
Yes (Keep) 80.95% 17 80.95%
No (Discard) 19.05% 4 19.05%
Total 21 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Light and Dark Ranking (preview)
GM-Ben
Unregistered

RE: Light and Dark Ranking (preview)

You want the detail about when the server got hacked? We installed the Control Panel with all the features and some of them werent secured which we learnt the sad way. Thats partly why we are using a skimmed down version of the CP compared to some servers. It wasnt related to a password being "found".

Fact is, if you have a semi decent password you need not to worry about your account being accessed. Sure if your password is your phone number the same as your account name, 1337, god, sun or such then I can't guarantee anything. If your using such a password and your account is hacked then I'd have to be happy for you that it happened in an online game instead of on your bank account or on your e-mail.

The only type of attack that benefit from having your username is brute force attack. I never said it was hard to launch one, every script kiddie can launch one. But I'm saying that if your password is half decent script kiddie will probably give up before to find it. It requires no hacking skill in my opinion to do something like that. Now we could argue when script kiddie become an hacker but its way off topic. We are allready way off topic. You want to talk about security, I'd be glad to talk with you, bring some technical details and we will have a chat.

Ben
05-23-2006 07:40 PM
Manifus Offline
Infinite Zero

RE:??Light and Dark Ranking (preview)

Manifus Wrote:And lastly, who wants to feed me? T_T

You forgot to answer this question Benny Icon_cry

05-23-2006 08:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Ryxingeir Offline
waffooo!!

if someone ever hacked my account for whatever reason, they'd get in there, see my characters, and cry themselves to sleep for wasting so much time.

that said... your secret characters usually don't wind up secret for very long Musa, Lucky's either, if you don't give it away with how you talk, someone shouts your real name across main, and then you're sunk o.- lol

and yes, there can be diferences in how you act towards certain people depending on what character you're on or not, Alex is very correct about reputations

that said <3 all the GMs! and i can't wait to see your finished gaia wings Feith-sama n_n

[Image: so2vjd.png]

[Yuri - baby assassin]  [Coral Ways - high wizard]
05-23-2006 09:16 PM
Find all posts by this user
Reis Offline
Skyhigh

only desperate ppl would brute force...this server probably have hundreds and thousands(maybe) of account names already.

Ben is right, it would take years and years to get a password. But not every security is 100%. There are chances that any account can be hacked. I understand that most account names are fairly simple to guess who it belongs to. But just for that little "What If" I suggest account names not be shown.

It's fairly easy to know what character is the main char, (by looking at the lvls, items, etc) so why not just show the main char, or just one char of the player?
05-23-2006 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user
GM-Ben
Unregistered

Actually no security is 100% safe Icon_wink But I dont feel like having the username really decrease the security level all that much considering theres also a password to bypass.

Best thing to do would be to let player select the char they want to display in the CP but I prefer to use my time working on some more "useful" features/stuff in the short term.

Ben
05-24-2006 12:46 AM
Manifus Offline
Infinite Zero

Like feeding me?

05-24-2006 12:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
GM-Ben
Unregistered

*throw a toaster*