Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Unreasonable promise..
expero Offline

Unreasonable promise..

Hello,
i have a little problem.
when i tryed entering the training grounds, i was told about the rules of the server(which seem ok to me).i read it all, but to my surprise, in the end i was asked to make a vow, not to break any of those rules.the problem is that, i take the promises i make seriously, and so ofcorse i cant make a promise, i could possibly break by accident.i wouldnt mind at all, to promise that i wouldnt break any of the more serious rules like cheating etc..
but some of the rules, i could possibely break by accident(like ksing)or because someone insults me, or something/someone i respect(like the rule of being polite to everyone).i tryed to find a GM online, using the @main to talk about it, but unfortunately couldnt find one.

when i answered no,i was told that i couldnt play on this server.is that it, or is there another option?
10-27-2010 07:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
azurerogue Offline
One Dogma: THROW AD!

RE: Unreasonable promise..

I understand the point you're trying to make...but seriously? I mean taking promises seriously is all well and good... but this is a promise to an NPC in an online video game.

- Albus Dumbledore 99/70 Professor - Albus DumbIedore 92/59 Professor
- AIbus Dumbledore 93/50 Wizard - AIbus DumbIedore 1/1 Novice
- Astaroth 99/70 Creator - Dawkins 99/70 Creator
- Exemplar 98/69 Paladin - Equitas 80/47 Paladin
- Mephistopheles 95/65 Lord Knight - Shogo Kawada 97/67 Stalker
10-27-2010 07:38 PM
Snowhawk Offline
Failsassin

You have to say yes to actually play the game.

Jaque::Sinx
Jaque-kun::Alchemist
Disciple Jaque::Acolyte
~Snow~::Wizard
10-27-2010 07:38 PM
expero Offline

RE:??Unreasonable promise..

azurerogue Wrote:I understand the point you're trying to make...but seriously???I mean taking promises seriously is all well and good... but this is a promise to an NPC in an online video game.??

the npc, was programed by someone to say that.or are you saying those rules are not to be taken seriously?.if what the npc(admin)is saying and asking, is suppose to be part of the fantasy of the game,then i dont mind choosing yes, as i will not be making any real promise.
10-27-2010 07:47 PM
Idiom Offline

While it is an admirable stance to take, all of your promises will inevitably suffer from the same problem. You can promise somebody you'll show up at their house the next day and, for reasons completely out of your control, you will be unable to. The most severe *possibility* of this is that you would simply die beforehand, and your promise would thus be unfulfilled.

If you don't make promises on the basis that you may accidentally break them, then you shouldn't make any promises at all, because there is *always* the possibility something will happen.

Promises are there not to demonstrate that you will never, ever, *ever* break it, no matter what happens (this is unreasonable), but that you will put forth all of your effort to follow through on what you say.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2010 07:56 PM by Idiom.)
10-27-2010 07:55 PM
expero Offline

Idiom Wrote:While it is an admirable stance to take, all of your promises will inevitably suffer from the same problem. You can promise somebody you'll show up at their house the next day and, for reasons completely out of your control, you will be unable to. The most severe *possibility* of this is that you would simply die beforehand, and your promise would thus be unfulfilled.

If you don't make promises on the basis that you may accidentally break them, then you shouldn't make any promises at all, because there is *always* the possibility something will happen.

Promises are there not to demonstrate that you will never, ever, *ever* break it, no matter what happens (this is unreasonable), but that you will put forth all of your effort to follow through on what you say.

that is why i dont make promises, i may not be able to keep, like in this case.
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2010 08:07 PM by expero.)
10-27-2010 08:06 PM
Ngjoko Offline
Megaman, not Rockman!!!

Besides, what are the chances you breaking the rules. I KS a few times unintentionally and accidentally, because my plants are already placed and i'm already running for my life luring 1 or 2 monster near them when another guy brought a huge flock of them close enough to be hit, which will be hit IF the monster i lured died right after he got close enough.
The rules might seem unreasonable, but not all people will argue over little mistakes as long as you didn't intentionally do it in the first place and am truly sorry for what you did.

I think I'm finally going "home", renewal is fun, but there is really nothing like "heRO"...

Kyarorain, Shield Crusader
Erizabeth, Battle Sage
Derpette, Int Brewer
Katerine, Battle Acolyte
10-27-2010 08:06 PM
expero Offline

Ngjoko Wrote:Besides, what are the chances you breaking the rules. I KS a few times unintentionally and accidentally, because my plants are already placed and i'm already running for my life luring 1 or 2 monster near them when another guy brought a huge flock of them close enough to be hit, which will be hit IF the monster i lured died right after he got close enough.
The rules might seem unreasonable, but not all people will argue over little mistakes as long as you didn't intentionally do it in the first place and am truly sorry for what you did.

i didnt say the rules are unreasonable,i sayd the promise not to break any of them is.being sory, dosnt change the fact that in that example you gave, i would have broken the promise i made.not even death, is an excuse for breaking a promise.
10-27-2010 08:11 PM
Naruki Away

I feel trolled just from reading this thread.

expero Wrote:
azurerogue Wrote:I understand the point you're trying to make...but seriously? I mean taking promises seriously is all well and good... but this is a promise to an NPC in an online video game.

the npc, was programed by someone to say that.or are you saying those rules are not to be taken seriously?.if what the npc(admin)is saying and asking, is suppose to be part of the fantasy of the game,then i dont mind choosing yes, as i will not be making any real promise.

Maybe cross your fingers when you select "Yes".

[Image: 5npukm.png]
Alore // Naruki // Revi // Sakito // iPlay // Enox
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2010 08:52 PM by Naruki.)
10-27-2010 08:50 PM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

imho, in life you have to learn to live with the fact that you are a mortal of limited means. I don't believe anyone could ever life a full life without one or two trespasses, so the best one could do is to read all the rules, make sure to take your time and try your best. Nobody's gonna beat you up for a slight, so there's no need to beat yourself up too badly about it either...

just my 2 cents...

-w-
10-27-2010 10:10 PM