Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Meech and her art~!
Meech Offline

Meech and her art~!

I haven't doodled in a while. I'm an art major, so... I should be, you know, drawing, or something like that. Icon_razz So I did! And it decidedly became my RO character. I'm not very adept at using a tablet -- much more comfortable painting, really -- but it's fun nonetheless. I played around with the face and hair, and got bored when it came to the rest, so they were just roughed in.

:D

[Image: meech.jpg]
06-07-2006 10:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

RE: Meech and her art~!

it has a nice aesthetci quality. the flower is a nice touch. Icon_winki think i see a lipstick print on her right cheek.Icon_confused and her right face, is she winking cause it looks more like half her face is asleep and half isn't.Icon_eek especially with your choice of lighting/shadow.

otherwise i like the eye, nice blue, and thick lashesIcon_razz

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
06-07-2006 11:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Meech Offline

Motenai_Ronin Wrote:it has a nice aesthetci quality. the flower is a nice touch. Icon_winki think i see a lipstick print on her right cheek.Icon_confused and her right face, is she winking cause it looks more like half her face is asleep and half isn't.Icon_eek especially with your choice of lighting/shadow.

otherwise i like the eye, nice blue, and thick lashesIcon_razz

Icon_question Flesh tones usually incorporate pink and green and purple and yellow and all sorts of colors, so the "lipstick print" is most likely from me doodling with different colors in the face. Even if it was a doodle, I was having trouble with adding more depth to the face without making it look too stark, so I just opted to play with the subtler stuff instead. Not trying to make excuses, but just stating what's going on. :D

Looks like she's winking to me. Icon_confused Generally, one eye is closed and one eye is open when winking. Icon_wink And since it was from a view slightly higher than straight on, I opted to curve the lashes downward instead of upward -- also because it makes it a more... subdued wink than a super-happy one. If that makes sense? Kind of like a relaxed wink instead of a tight one. I might not have gotten that across very well in the doodle though, so if I mess with this anymore, I'll work on that.

Anyway, there are plenty of things wrong with it even from my stance -- the face is flat and the colors in it turned out more confusing than I thought, the shoulders aren't angled quite right, the neck isn't really well incorporated into the face, a lot of it's too sketchy to really make out what's happening, there's not a strong lightsource which helps add to the flatness, other things look quite flat, what's happening in the torso area srsly, wtf are her arms! Icon_lol And a ton of other things that would've been addressed if it were an actual piece and not a silly tablet doodle. :D

It's something I really would like to become better at, the tablet! So it takes practice and criticism. I'm a painting major, so painting is much more my fort?.

Again though, thanks for the comment! Glad you liked the eye and lashes (some of my favorite parts too!), and also glad you pointed the other things out. Icon_mrgreen
06-08-2006 11:36 AM
Ryxingeir Offline
waffooo!!

it's a better person than i could ever draw in cg, i like it Meech n_n

[Image: so2vjd.png]

[Yuri - baby assassin]  [Coral Ways - high wizard]
06-08-2006 12:41 PM
Baztastic Offline
The Baztastic One.

draw me a stick figure.

Icon_neutral
06-08-2006 01:46 PM
Meech Offline

Ryxingeir Wrote:it's a better person than i could ever draw in cg, i like it Meech n_n

Awww, thanks! Glad you like it. Icon_biggrin

Baztastic Wrote:draw me a stick figure.

Icon_neutral

Okay! :D

lolololz purple bear wtf. or something like that, I can't rightly remember. BUT IT WAS FUNNY.
06-08-2006 03:58 PM
Meech Offline

[Image: bazzy.jpg]

Here you go Bazzy! Keii helped. As in, he made it funny. XD
06-08-2006 06:25 PM
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

ahh relaxed wink heh heh...in my book that means a sleepy blink. ;)in anycase the emotions of the sides of the face seem very asymetrical.Icon_suprised So is she looking up at the viewer?Icon_razz Although i didn't notice it at first, the neck is kind of giraffish, and i didn't miss the arms. You can just say she tucked them behind her, which would make sense if she was looking up. Icon_biggrin

Oh and since her green muffler seems to blowing up or back, w/e,Icon_confused is her hair doing that too? Hard to tell.Icon_redface

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
06-08-2006 09:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Keii Offline

Hehe, I thought the thing about the left side of the face too, Motenai. I also noticed the wink looked a smidge further down than it would were she really shutting an eye, and I helped her with it earlier today. The emotion could go a bit more in the direction of the attitude that comes with a casual wink, but I do like it. I think it's obvious her attention is directed at the viewer, honestly, and I think the neck might be a bit long, but it's hardly anything out of the ordinary for a style like this, and has no negative impact on the drawing. I have to say, though, this IS a traditional bust of the character, and the matter of arms is entirely irrelevant. Icon_razz The cloak does look a bit blown in the wind, and I'm pretty sure the hair follows that pattern, even though it's also in the style of the hair to feather out that way. Icon_smile

If I could offer any more advice for you, peach, it'd be to consider the shape of the skull more when you draw hair, as this seems lopsided to the point of being rather curious, and to keep experimenting with this style, as it seems you're making pretty good leaps and bounds but you've still got a ways to really nailing it down. Icon_smile
06-09-2006 01:55 AM
Meech Offline

Keii~~, you're so good at critiques. They help me a lot. Smooch! :3

Okay, so this time I fiddled around in Corel Painter instead of Photoshop. It's... fun! Here's a work in progress I started... I'm still messing with quite a few things on it, so it might be quite a bit different when I finish it up. Icon_eek

[Image: meechip.jpg]

Much different feel than the other, huh? XD Details are forthcoming. I'm having a ton of fun with this one -- feel free to give constructive criticism! Definitely helpful at such stages of a drawing. A lot of the outlining is definitely wobbly and sketchy; more about defining where things are going than actually being part of the drawing.

:D
06-11-2006 09:04 PM