Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MMOs, What makes you like them?
Sukeishima Away
Touched by His Noodly Appendage

MMOs, What makes you like them?

If a game development company came up to you one day, and told you that they are making a new MMO, and want you to decide what kind of MMO it is, and what the game is like, what would you make it to be?

-What kinds of classes would there be?
-What kind of races would there be?
-Would it be 3D, 2D, or something else?
-What makes your game better than the others already on the market?

Or! If you're not that creative, what parts of MMOs you have played made you love those games as much as you did/do?

[Image: ROsiggy.png]
[Sukei - 9x Grimmy Assassin] Guildleader of Divine Nocturne <3
[Kalmia - 8x FS High Priestess] KoL's Sweet Potato <3
Click here to see which chars are mine!
01-23-2011 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ngjoko Offline
Megaman, not Rockman!!!

RE: MMOs, What makes you like them?

i like RO because it's complicated but not impossible to understand and/or obtainable. The game is cute. Simple animation, complicated mechanics.

I dislike others because it's too realistic looking and i don't know why, but those 3D MMORPGs bore me. Probably since they look good but they only have limited movements and actions. For instance, i didn't even get to level 10 on Tantra because it bores me when the character is hitting on caura or whatever it's called. Perfect World doesn't make me awe in amazement, some weapons are silly, slingshot on archers?

I think I'm finally going "home", renewal is fun, but there is really nothing like "heRO"...

Kyarorain, Shield Crusader
Erizabeth, Battle Sage
Derpette, Int Brewer
Katerine, Battle Acolyte
01-24-2011 12:00 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Hm interesting topic let me address each question with a lengthy response.

-What kinds of classes would there be?

I REALLY hate in many mmo's how uncreative most classes are these days.??They are so basic, so obvious in their roles and skills you pick it makes me sick.??I suppose you can't escape basic roles, but how about if you change the ways of certain skills.??Healers for example, you play a healer in one game, you tend to have done it in all games.??What I would like to see a healer class do more is something like have the ability to give a player life leech abilities when they deal damage.??They can also have less obvious buffs than "add a bunch to this stat."??I haven't thought it out fully, but there is a lot I would want to change in priest class from its standard heal+cast buff idea.??Could be interesting on top of that to make a game that deviates from having a healer class at all and instead give every class a way to heal their health that would be in line with how their class works.

-What kind of races would there be?

Not a big fan of races.??I guess if they are in the game though I don't want them to be limited in classes they can be.??I'd probably give them small bonuses for being a certain race over another, and maybe a special skill too, but that'd be the extent of it.??I'd definitely wouldn't want the standard Elves and Dwarves, Gnomes inhabiting the world.??I'd really love to see a cat race that are actually more feline in appearance rather than humanoid, along with a Bird race following the same guidelines.

-Would it be 3D, 2D, or something else?

Hm, I sorta like 2D games and would be neat to make stages partially be platformer based in completing them and reaching a boss section or something. =]

-What makes your game better than the others already on the market?

No idea!??Too hard to tell till it hits the market!??It'd probably be better than FF14 though...

---Or! If you're not that creative, what parts of MMOs you have played made you love those games as much as you did/do?

Randomized dungeons can be really fun sometimes.??I like when games encourage exploration but don't force TOO much grinding out of you.??I love instances and giving everyone a chance to fight bosses.??Then it becomes a matter of having a skilled team rather than having no life and being able to log in all the time.??

I do not mind cash shops, I do not like when cash shops are absolutely needed to succeed within a game however.??Cash shops should not ever have the best gears in the store for a few bucks, players should earn those from their ability to earn them in the game.

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
01-25-2011 06:33 PM
Sepharius Offline
:3

- Classes? What classes? Specializations in my kind of game would be defined by weapon preferences and your appropriate skill level with the weapon, of course.

- Races: Human. Just human. I'm not going to copy every high fantasy game out there.

- 3D for sure.

- A lot of the reasons why RO is still popular with me: partying is necessary at higher tiers, but if you know where to level and you have the right stuff you can basically solo your way through the game.

As for what I liked about other MMOs:

- I really like how free-flowing and open the RO world is

- I like the insanely flashy high level skills in Cabal Online, as well as the armor sets.

Other than that I don't think there's much else I can say.

[Image: chibiscorp.jpg]
Want Third class sprites? Click here!
01-25-2011 08:52 PM
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

I prefer 2D MMO's that have a penchant for Being Cute, like RO or Trickster (even though trickster sucks, IMO it's still far better than Maple Story)

I have always had a penchant for magic classes (like in the oldschool Finalfantasies and stuff) long before I ever found out about MMO's. As such I really hope for unique stuff that's brought along with them. One thing that has always turned me off about RO tho is the insanely long cast times you have when you don't have dex. If you were a noob like I was, you'd be pumping intelligence not knowing dex was needed to speed up cast.??

Healers are a must. But I'd like to make an emphasis that Healing items would work better since you can regenerate spell power, and Potions have a definitive end. Also, I'd include armors that could absorb certain elements so Hey! Lets waterball this guy and heal him for like 25 k (or more).

Ranged Physical Classes have pretty much Killed a lot of the balance in RO. But it does present a unique playstyle that most people tend to like to play. I'd propose more ranged monster to counteract them (watch out for the monkey's in the palm trees at the beach throwing coconuts at your Bowman!)

Melee types are also a must. Usual tanky, usual thiefy. Not a whole lot you can do with that to make it different. I suppose you could change the class names and give them different skills, but hell, it's still the same class and we all know it.

I don't really care so much about races, I'd guess I'd follow along with what Aaronock has said on this note.

One of the best things I liked about RO is the story line of things.(SPOILER)

Appearantly some dude in Rachel summoned Beezlebub and posessed Rayan Moore, and coerced him into unsealing Satan Morroc, and Possessed Hibram got the people in the Arunafeltz military all aggro'd to Rune Midgard's Kingdom, all because of 1 Demon bug in a Monastary noone's supposed to know about.Sadly, there's not much more info to go on there, but??it's still quite interesting.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2011 06:00 PM by The Legendary Joe.)
01-26-2011 06:00 PM
Ngjoko Offline
Megaman, not Rockman!!!

crap..., blinding yellow texts...

I do agree cabal has lots of flashy moves, the archer has so many pretty moves, shooting rainbow colored beams. I still don't understand the game though. More 2D MMOs IMHO...

I think I'm finally going "home", renewal is fun, but there is really nothing like "heRO"...

Erizabeth, Battle Sage
Derpette, Int Brewer
Katerine, Battle Acolyte
01-26-2011 08:40 PM
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

I'd tell them we don't have the technology for the perfect MMO yet.??Ok

[Image: K2CmgOR.png]
01-27-2011 01:23 AM
Sepharius Offline

RE:??MMOs, What makes you like them?

Ngjoko Wrote:crap..., blinding yellow texts...

I do agree cabal has lots of flashy moves, the archer has so many pretty moves, shooting rainbow colored beams. I still don't understand the game though. More 2D MMOs IMHO...

What's not to understand about Cabal? They literally spoon feed you the whole way with quests. =\

01-27-2011 01:30 AM
Ngjoko Offline
Megaman, not Rockman!!!

my cousin showed me how to fight with his 90+ archer then asked me to grind for him. That's the only thing i know about the game. Need to summon the bow and must use skills or you'll be just punching your enemies, even with the bow summoned. =/

Erizabeth, Battle Sage
Derpette, Int Brewer
Katerine, Battle Acolyte
01-27-2011 10:39 AM
Sepharius Offline

He asked you to grind? =\

That game is chock full of quests. I got to level 116 on nothing but quests, but that's where it pretty much ended, since the quests I had then required me to enter war zones to finish.

01-27-2011 02:04 PM