Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Increased Sight Range
Zombies1 Offline

Increased Sight Range

I've played RO for many years. One of the things that bugs me about RO is the short line of sight. I'm not talking about being able to zoom out. I mean being able to see monsters and other players at a greater distance. I've played on some servers that have it and it is very addicting.

It causes people to KS less (unintentionally at least) Several times I've been shooting at a monster and realized someone else was there too, just a few tiles away but we didn't see each other.

Snipers have about as much range as they can even see an enemy, if not more with certain bows/skills. If you charge arrow, the enemy goes off screen. Same goes for JT/SG on a Wizard.

In a party, the support can be 3 tiles behind and be completely unable to see what is happening. There have been times it appears that a party member is just standing still, when they are actually killing something. Even a few tiles away I couldn't see it.

Computers these days should have no trouble loading more by having the player/npc view range increase. If that is a concern, then perhaps make it an @ command type option?

I'm saying this because I like heRO and I know a lot of people who would play here if the sight range were increased. I think it could add a lot to the server.
02-11-2011 11:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kretzer Offline
Fat-Ality

RE: Increased Sight Range

I don't want people scanning for MvPs just zooming out.
Also, I'm pretty sure it's a client sided option which can be hexed (Don't do it). So no, they can't make it an @command.
02-11-2011 11:46 PM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

You also give an indirect huge boost to ranged attackers this way, especially bow users whose attack range is larger than sight range at the moment... Increase sight range and those extra cells will kick into play.

The only strong point out of this is that ballista[1] will actually be considerable in usage. Otherwise best not to change the current setting too much.

Regular content update to be more caught up to other server is probably an even *better* way to attract people to play anyway. First get down the basics before sprinkling icings to try to attract people to stay after trying it out.

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2011 12:26 AM by Namine.)
02-12-2011 12:25 AM
Zombies1 Offline

I actually see it differently. Ranged players get an advantage sure, but I think the close range characters get just as much of an advantage. If an archer is walk around and a melee character is walking around, if the sight range is low, they both see each other at the same time and the close range character is already in the archers attack range. If they both see further, the close range character has the opportunity to react, instead of being killed the moment they are on the archer's screen.

As for scanning for MvPs. Well, it happens, but at least you would be able to do the same.

I think increasing the sight range would do a lot for the server. I'm not some sniper just trying to get some boost here. In fact, most of my characters are melee. It is just a more enjoyable experience playing RO with the ability to see monsters/players further.
02-12-2011 12:33 AM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

Defensively speaking to run away from ranged players that may not be true all the time. To a Sniper, nothing changed that anything that is in sight, can be shot. So the moment the melee player sees a Sniper, the melee player is already shot/threatened just like it is now. [note: this is under assumption sight range increase is nothing drastic beyond around 2 cells. If say the sight range increase is like 6, then yes there's some room that you can see a sniper and the sniper still needs to walk up a bit to begin attacking with whatever.]

This also an offensive nerf. I really don't need to pvp myself (which I never do) to speculate to reasonable accuracy that the running theory works both ways allowing ranged characters to escape from melee characters. Ranged characters almost always got more disables/pushback than melee character, and now melee have an even tougher time to catch up for the kill with cart boost/charge attack/etc. Overall, it's an increase in defensive stance for everyone, yet only ranged characters enjoy an increase in offensive abilities on top of it. It's an overall giant nerf in PvM for the monsters side (thus making PvM easier).

Thus, from those reasons above, I don't see this change as a balanced modification, and instead it only boosts specific classes more than others.

(As for scanning MVP, that's not really an issue because all players enjoy the same increase in sight, so everyone gets the same buff to spotting MVPs. Attacking the mvp the moment it is in sight however, is another issue altogether.)

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2011 01:05 AM by Namine.)
02-12-2011 12:57 AM
Zombies1 Offline

RO was never a balanced game. If we were to talk about balance, there is a huge list of things I could bring up. However, the sight range benefits all in it's own way. Nobody becomes too overpowered by it. A lot of good can come from it. With increased sight range on other servers, ranged characters weren't overpowered in comparison. Maybe it could be tested for a week and then have a vote and see if people want it to stay that way or go back. I'm suggesting this because I do want this server to become even better. I know with every change, something is lost, but in this case I believe there is a lot more to gain.
02-12-2011 01:04 AM
Whispers Offline
from the Abyss

I play at a really high resolution, so I get what Zombies is saying here.??I've always wanted a better sight range.??I always accidentally KS people.??I'm sorry if I'm not willing to get closer to the mob to see if it is being atk'ed, but I don't want to die.??lol
Also, it happens quite often that they are at the max cast distance (and on the same plane as you) as well, so you'd have to be pretty close to the mob to see the other player.??This goes for all of my chars with any kind of ranged atk/skill.

Another argument for a melee player (and, actually, what I thought Zombies was getting at with the PvP example) is selection amongst ranged players on PvM maps.??I hate walking up to the only monster I see on my screen right as someone with a ranged atk snipes it.??Whether they saw me or not (due to our restricted sight range...*cough), I had to walk the 15 cells (or w/e or sight range is) when they didn't have to walk at all.??Now, they're engaging their next mob while I'm off walking about looking for a new one.

If I could see further then I could see more mobs (selection) and more ranged players.??I know to avoid a ranged players range, but it's difficult since it's bigger than my sight range allows.??D:

As far as people having attack ranges larger than their sight; that just makes no sense.??That's like something that gives you 200 aspd.??Why is our sight range lower than the greatest possible attack range? o.0

[Image: K2CmgOR.png]
02-12-2011 01:49 AM
Zombies1 Offline

Does anyone have anything else to add to this? I really think it would help improve gameplay. There are pros and cons to every decision. Any more ideas or feedback?
02-25-2011 02:55 AM