Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why are VVS Elemental weapons so popular?
Necrophiliac Offline

Why are VVS Elemental weapons so popular?

Why do people like to use VVS Elemental Weapons instead of normal elemental weapons? They have a about 1/3 the chance of being created compared to an elemental weapon. All you get out of the star crumbs is 10 seeking damage. Do people not know how seeking damage works? It adds 10 damage that can't miss, but that 10 damage isn't affected by things like elemental bonus and skill modification, in fact that 10 damage can only be reduced, not increased. Why not instead make a +6 Elemental weapon, which also gives 10 attack, but this attack is normal attack, benefiting from elements and skills.

So basically am I missing something that the star crumbs add? I'm sure the VVS sounds cooler, but to use 3 times the materials (and the star crumbs themselves) for such a small bonus when you can instead just over upgrade the weapon once (at a 70% success rate if done by a WS) to get more damage assuming you don't miss. Even if you don't have 100% hit the bonus from element and skills more than compensates.

Finally I would like to add that this long post isn't some evil attempt to lower the price of star crumbs making it cheaper for me to get my smith ranked Icon_twisted
04-18-2011 04:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

RE: Why are VVS Elemental weapons so popular?

With rogues the VVS does matter VERY much.
Hit rate for dagger rogues is kinda crap without extra items sometimes.
Also when double attacking a ranked VVS weapon adds 40 more damage. This adds up fast if you're raw DPSing as this class, which is what I commonly like to do with this class. :>

For knights/saders who can't hit high flee targets they can then bash over and over on said targets and cause them to stun. Then they can do decent damage and finish the opposition. :>

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
04-18-2011 05:16 PM
Necrophiliac Offline

For the rogue, if you have a 50% chance of hitting and are using RTB 5 you do more damage with a ranked +6 ele weapon than a +5 ranked VVS Ele weapon. Increasing the hit or RTB level just increase how much better the +6 weapon is.

As for Fatal Blow, the weapon being ranked is enough to get your bash to stun. Even if you can't get a ranked weapon a +6 VS Ele weapon is cheaper to make than a +5 VVS ele weapon and will do more damage with skills while providing seeking damage.
04-18-2011 05:42 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

BUT, ranking WS's with proper gears and buffs get a pretty decent % chance to make items. On top of that if they are job 70, they make the weapons refine easily. I have a ranked +7 VVS Ele Set, and it does wonders.

But now you're saying "oh but if you overup you'll do more damage." Well duh, but if you can't afford to overup, then VVS wins, and its worth paying an extra couple hundred thousand for. :>

By the way, easy way to get star crumbs is to hit up Miyabi Dolls.

04-18-2011 06:09 PM
Necrophiliac Offline

My point is over up is cheaper than VVS....
04-18-2011 06:23 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

It could wind up costing more if you're unlucky with the refines. Icon_razz
That's why we are willing to pay a couple hundred thousand more and just have the VVS part attached. :>

04-18-2011 06:36 PM
Matrim Cauthon Jr Offline
Bipolarsexual

I'll always choose VVS because of the upped hit chance.
04-18-2011 06:57 PM
Necrophiliac Offline

RE:??Why are VVS Elemental weapons so popular?

Aaronock Wrote:It could wind up costing more if you're unlucky with the refines. Icon_razz
That's why we are willing to pay a couple hundred thousand more and just have the VVS part attached. :>

Murphy's Law aside I still don't see why you'd use VVS unless you're already planning on upgrading to at least +7. Still majority of the ones I see are left at +5.

As for Matrim, I don't think you understand what the star crumbs do.
04-18-2011 07:41 PM
Weapon Offline
The Family Jewels

HauuuuunnnnnnnntfrombeyoooondthegraaaaaveofseveralmonthsagoooOoOoooOoooooo?? Evil

1 Star crumb = +5 seeking damage
2 Star crumbs = +10 seeking damage
3 Star crumbs (which means no element) = +40 seeking damage
If the weapon being forged by a ranker = +10 seeking damage
Making ranked VVS do 20 seeking damage and VVVS do 50

Seeking damage is non-elemental and it always strikes, even if your hit misses. That's what makes it useful. Even works on ghosts.

However, adding a star crumb to a forge attempt lowers your forging success rate by 15%. If you have proper stats/JL70, good forging equips (excluding god items), buffs, and stat foods you can have ~55% success rate making a VVS Elemental.

The trouble with a near 50/50 chance is that you can have quite a few failures before it works, and some weapons are incredibly costly in resources to make. You can easily end up forging at a net loss. No idea what ores are worth now, but they were getting crazyexpensive at some point, which is counterproductive for forging because just pricing them to break even makes the weapons a little too expensive for new players who would use them instead of cards.

For this reason, non-VVS weaponry is a good cheap alternative for those who can't afford it. The success rate is more around 85%, meaning you can sell it for less. If you're ranked, it has +10 seeking damage. That extra damage bump might be what you need, but some would rather save their money and get the weapons sooner so they can kill monsters and (in some cases) be done using the weapon in a matter of hours. If you want easy ranker points to get ranked, save your VVS elementals for Fists, since they only cost 4 oridecon to make (...as far as un-purchasable resources go. You need 10 rubies too along with hammers, crumbs, and elemental stones, but those are easily obtained via NPC/relatively cheaper and abundant in availability.) If you've got excess resources, make some VVS elementals to sell for a sizable fee. Also, charge more than I did, cuz that was nuts.

stilldeadthoughandkeepingmyresolutiontonotplaythegameisriggedanyway

(edit)

ohgod he's right it was +30% success rate. I'm getting rusty.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2011 08:07 AM by Weapon.)
04-19-2011 12:46 AM
Ngjoko Offline
Megaman, not Rockman!!!

*cough* anopheles *cough*

I think I'm finally going "home", renewal is fun, but there is really nothing like "heRO"...

Kyarorain, Shield Crusader
Erizabeth, Battle Sage
Derpette, Int Brewer
Katerine, Battle Acolyte
04-19-2011 01:23 AM