Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Loading screen freezing?
Session Offline
Formerly known as Tak.

Loading screen freezing?

This has been happening for a while, but only sometimes- but on occasion when I'm going through a warp/teleporting the loading screen 'sticks' and I can't exit the game, task manager escape, or anything and am forced to log off of my pc's account, and log back in to restart the game.

For some reason, its happening more often lately. Any idea what the issue is, or how to fix it?

Thanks

My Shop/Buylist- Angel's Branch of HeRo
http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=23468

Ign:
High Priest- Akharamizu-Leader of Transcension
Assassin Cross- DownfallenAngel
High Wizard- Session
To-Be SinX2- Tithe
Rogue- Anzkhel
Errende- Hunter
Gunslinger- Ancele
Soullinker- Jonag

I used to have a comment here. I still do, but I used to do, too.
08-05-2011 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ptah Offline
Lurker Above

RE: Loading screen freezing?

That would be nice to know, it really sucks when it gets stuck on 100% load and doesn't react anymore. Good thing i play in window mode, but still, i think alt+f4 still works, no?

God i have too many characters. Just call me Bisu and let's end this -_-
[Image: fco46t.jpg][Image: 4se5oh.jpg]
Want to help HeRO? Feeling you're full of ideas that people will adore? Don't just stand there! Join HeRO T&D Crew!
08-05-2011 02:12 PM
Session Offline
Formerly known as Tak.

Tried that too, didn't work. Wish I could figure it out.

Ign:
High Wizard- Session
To-Be SinX2- Tithe
Rogue- Anzkhel
Errende- Hunter
Gunslinger- Ancele
Soullinker- Jonag

08-05-2011 02:41 PM
raphael.cruger Offline
>:|

Try copying the entire RO folder to another location(preferably another logical drive) and running it from there(there is no need to re install; shortcuts will need to be replaced). If the problem ceases after this you probably need to run chkdisk on the drive as drive errors(caused by faulty shutdowns and a vast list of mundane things) could result in such a hang.

What operating system do you use?
Does yr PC experience such lag in any other context?
If not and RO continues to hang after the move then you may need a fresh install.. but..

You could also try defragmenting yr drive as this can result in considerable improvement in performance and is especially important if you've never run it before. Also if yr drive has less then 15% free it will give reduced performance which may exhibit itself by hanging when forced with processing large amounts of data. Defragmenting could help you here too. Lemme know if you need details on how to do that. It's a moderately long procedure during which yr OS will move peices of files on yr HDD so that they are physically adjacent on the drive; resulting in much faster read time..

The struggle to free myself of restraints becomes my very shackles. - Meshuggah
08-05-2011 09:37 PM
Session Offline
Formerly known as Tak.

Wasn't sure a fragmented drive could cause hero to hang up, but I suppose its reasonable enough.

I just dont enjoy how long the wait time is. And, I've over 3/4 of my HD space. 750 gigs-and about 600 left.

Though it has been ages since I've taken the time to do a FULL maintenance job- so good point.

Also- windows 7, lag with opening folders with items inside (ie, the pictures/items inside are slow to appear, but only be a split second lag) etc.

So fragmented drive it is.

May need a fresh install of hero if it doesnt get resolved. swt

So GM's, any other thing that could cause this to happen?

Ign:
High Wizard- Session
To-Be SinX2- Tithe
Rogue- Anzkhel
Errende- Hunter
Gunslinger- Ancele
Soullinker- Jonag

08-05-2011 09:52 PM
raphael.cruger Offline

Well I guess you want a GM to answer but I'm on now and I have 2 more cents to add to my earlier 2 cents so I guess yr stuck with MEEEEEEE!!!!! :-P

Well one thing you should know is Win7 is distinctly immune to degraded performance over time as compared to WinXP so in hind sight its prolly NOT yr HD; which seems to point towards yr RO installation. Re-install ^.^

Also; if yr the kind of person who likes to backup all their installs, after fresh installing HeRO you could copy all the patch files as they are downloaded before they are repacked to another folder. Then when you need to install the next time just paste them in yr RO folder before running the patcher. This makes re installing again and again a breeze.

I have in fact experienced exactly the same problem(loading screen occasionally hung) but in my case I fixed it with a clean format and a re install of XP. Icon_biggrin

More solutions?(yes I'm a total geek)

Two words. System restore. BTW you can also disable system restore on other drives(those which you don't want touched) so as to specifically target say C:/

Since you have Win7 I'm almost certain its not yr drive(however large drives are as a rule more susceptible to instability, way over 30%(YES 30) are returned to Seagate every year for replacement). I'd put my money on a re installation of HeRO but if you STILL experience problems..Cry

(ok this is getting ridiculous but I'm not done)
A great way to benchmark yr system and validate beyond doubt that yr hardware and OS are in top form is to install one of those big BIG games(Resident Evil 5, Starcraft 2, Witcher; or the like xD). NOTHING taxes yr HDD, OS and other hardware like these(especially yr HDD). If there is a problem, it will surface here too enabling easy diagnosis.
Good luck! Hope I helped x3

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2011 02:21 AM by raphael.cruger.)
08-05-2011 11:02 PM
Former-GM-Salt Offline

http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=18952

My answer to that thread applies to you too. Unfortunately we still don't know what is causing it. If you manage to figure something out I'd love to hear about it. In addition to the advice I gave in that thread I'd also suggest playing around with the settings in Setup.exe and see if that does anything (fullscreen vs. windowed mode, different resolutions, etc.)
08-05-2011 11:34 PM
raphael.cruger Offline

RE:??Loading screen freezing?

raphael.cruger Wrote:I have in fact experienced exactly the same problem(loading screen occasionally hung) but in my case I fixed it with a clean format and a re install of XP. Icon_biggrin

This problem is not native to HeRO as I was on a different server at the time. I'm not recommending you format; I had to anyway and the problem disappeared after.

08-06-2011 02:15 AM
Zaratus Away
Bastard

Vaguely remembering that Menti's RO crashed when he was using wings and peco peco hairband.

Do you wear any certain visible equipments when that happens?

Ayantis 99/70 High Priest
Draven 99/70 Sniper
Mordred 99/70 Whitesmith
Yuugi Hoshiguma 99/70 Champ

Shop closed due to HeRO being uninstalled.
Feel free to ask me for MSN or stuff.
08-06-2011 05:58 AM
Session Offline
Formerly known as Tak.

On about all my characters I generally am usually using the following:

drooping deleter hat, bee wings, zodiac wings, dark blinder, goibne helm, morph hood, crooked hat, mask of goddess, flapping angel wings, spiky band, +10 high wizard maiden hat

Usually with the wings on. Ok

Ign:
High Wizard- Session
To-Be SinX2- Tithe
Rogue- Anzkhel
Errende- Hunter
Gunslinger- Ancele
Soullinker- Jonag

08-06-2011 09:23 AM