Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MMO, huh? I'm new but interested.
Anomander Offline

MMO, huh? I'm new but interested.

Hey all,
I've never played a MMO before and decided to drop into one now. Saw this server in a player signature in Ratemyserver.net. And then read the reviews and found them quite nice. So, I'm downloading the files needed to play. It might take another day or so but I wanted to say hello to all before that.

I would like to ask you to suggest me a good starting character class. I'm confused about all these stats and skill builds. And these cards and gear and refining stuff confuse even further. If it isn't much of a trouble, could someone please explain the basic stuff to me?

Thank you for any reply. Icon_smile

Anomander is a Girl !
08-08-2011 12:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Snowhawk Offline
Failsassin

RE: MMO, huh? I'm new but interested.

Good starting class? Well that depends on your method of play XD

I find Thief Class the easiest to play even though I generally suck with everything. Other can dispute that other classes are easier/better.

What do you generally like in an RPG?

The Valiant Swordsman?
The Cunning Thief?
The Diligent Mage?
The Prospective Merchant?
The Disciplined Acolyte?

How about near end Game? Do you Seek Player vs Monster type of gameplay with lots of Party action?

Would you rather Player vs Player, competitive skill play?

Mix it up with Monster and Players?

Jaque::Sinx
Jaque-kun::Alchemist
Disciple Jaque::Acolyte
~Snow~::Wizard
08-08-2011 12:58 AM
Anomander Offline

RE:??MMO, huh? I'm new but interested.

Snowhawk Wrote:Good starting class???Well that depends on your method of play XD

I find Thief Class the easiest to play even though I generally suck with everything.??Other can dispute that other classes are easier/better.

What do you generally like in an RPG?

The Valiant Swordsman?
The Cunning Thief?
The Diligent Mage?
The Prospective Merchant?
The Disciplined Acolyte?

How about near end Game???Do you Seek Player vs Monster type of gameplay with lots of Party action?

Would you rather Player vs Player, competitive skill play?

Mix it up with Monster and Players?

I think I'll go with a Mage. And I'm not very confident about Player versus Player. But, monsters with party, yeah. Maybe I'll WoE after I get used to all my skills and gameplay styles and have managed to get some nice gear... Icon_smile

So, which stats and skills should I get as a Mage. I see there are a lot listed in the Wiki and Ratemyserver. Thinking

Anomander is a Girl !
08-08-2011 01:14 AM
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

Well, welcome. Ragnarok Online is??quite an addicting little game to get started on once you get into it.

Most cases, people will recommend archers to newbies because their range tends to make it easier to grind levels and hunt gears than some other classes. Later on, they can advance further to either a hunter (a more offensive Job class), or depending on your character's gender, a bard, or a dancer (for more supportive roles).

Swordsman classes are??pretty straight forward, and they're pretty simple compared to some of the other roles in the game. Generally in parties, they play the role of a tanker, or someone who takes the damage while others in your party do the damage. Not to say there aren't builds too deal damage as swordsman classes. After a certain point, they can advance to a knight class (essentially a jack of some trades, they can tank,??they can fight, and they do many amazing things. Has one of the highest hit points (your characters life) max's in the game). Alternatively they can advance to crusader, a slightly more complex character in my oppinion that usually tends to focus on defense or healing, but can play significant supporting roles, and even dabble in holy magic. The downside to the entire swordsman class is, although their stats are quite amazing, they are heavily reliant on their gears, and generally eat up a lot of potions in the means of getting them.

My favorite starting class- the acolyte. THE main healing class in the game. Especially if you're a girl character, some peoples who ordinarily wouldn't help will willingly come out of the woodworks??and help you. Occaisionally, you could get lucky and??one of them??will give you stuff that'll help out early on in your acolyte career. With this, you can go the supportive route, and focus on healing and buffing (using status increasing skills on??others like blessing, or increase agility) others, or the offensive route of buffing yourself and??attacking things physically.

Typically the supportive builds generally advance to become Priests, where they become even more valuable to parties, and/or gain great holy magic to excorcise the undead and demons..??The offensive builds generally change into Monks, and gain access to knuckle type weapons and attacks based around your spirit(s).

Despite being a wonderful starting class,??it IS a hard class to get gear and or money early on. However due to the high demand of healers, it's quite easy to level.

While I am biased towards more magical classes,??Ragnarok online tends to be a hard game to get them started on. Acolytes (who turn priests) tend to be able to level the fastest, Archers (turned hunters) tend to rival priests in that regard.??While in most MMO's mages tend to be able to kill things many levels ahead of their level with their powerful magics, and are usually the fastest way to level in MMO's. However Ragnarok online has some incredibly long interuptible cast times that makes itself evident right quick.

Typically speaking in MMO's, the best setup for any party (which i refer to as the Golden Triangle of MMO's) is a Tanker, a Damage Dealer, and a Healer.

Now for the stats.

Strength (STR)- for Melee, or close range physical attackers like thieves or swordsmen, this is the main damage stat. The more you have, the more you will hit for with every blow. Also, it helps increase your weight limit, which determines how much you carry. When you are 50% over weight, you will not recover Spell Points (SP for short, the energy with which you use your class's skills), and at 90% or over, you will not be able to attack at all.

Agility (AGI)- A good defensive/offensive stat. This stat increases your characters evasion (flee) and??it's attack speed.

Vitality (VIT)- In my opinion, one??of the most important stats in the game. Vit increases your maximum hit points (HP), and adds some semblance of defense. In addition,??points into vit add resistance to certain negative status effects, like poison or stun.

Intelligence (INT)- For a magic or supportive acolyte class, this is one of the most important stats. It increases ones maximum spell points (SP) and also increases magical damage.??To a lesser extent, it also adds resistance to certain status effects vit does not effect like sleep.

Dexterity (DEX)- Quite Possibly THE most important status in the game.??For ranged attackers like archers,??this is their main attack stat,??like str is to a swordsman. It Raises??ones accuracy with weapons, and slightly affects attack speed, but not nearly as much as agi does. For Mages and other casters, this stat decreases their cast times.??The closer??your overall dex is to 150, the closer one's cast time will be to instant cast.

Luck (LUK)- This is the oddball stat.??Quite frankly, not many people use it much. While it does slightly increase attack, boost your critical hit rate, add resistance to most every status. Unfortunately, few skills actually use crit as a variable, and you also need a lot invested in this stat to make it worth while. Most cases, skills will overshadow/overpower this stat,??and most cases, good gears can do a better job than this stat.

What ever class you choose, it is recommended that you make a merchant??to sell the loots from your character's hunts, purely for the fact that they can get a skill to buy and sell items from Non Playable characters (NPC's)??at better prices than other classes.

(Edit: Took too long writing this post and got ninja'd twice)
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2011 01:38 AM by The Legendary Joe.)
08-08-2011 01:25 AM
Snowhawk Offline
Failsassin

Dex and Int are pretty much your main focus unless you try a Hybrid build.

High Dex = Faster Cast rate
High Int = More Damage from spells.

There is usually a fairly high demand for Mage classes in parties so Leveling with Parties should be easy XD

You can always look up the leveling compendium for leveling help or ask around on Main. Depending on who is on, you should get pretty good responses on where to level.

Jaque::Sinx
Jaque-kun::Alchemist
Disciple Jaque::Acolyte
~Snow~::Wizard
08-08-2011 01:25 AM
Bellatrix Offline
=DDD

I chose archer/hunter/sniper for my first character!!! It's the best! /lv

That path actually is a very good one to start with. Snipers are very useful for farming, great at a custom monthly event the server has called??Trial of Heroes, and are really simple and easy to learn.

Welcome to the server. Hope to see you around. If you have additional questions or would like help feel free to PM me on Bellatrix or Alcyone! Good luck and have fun!
08-08-2011 01:54 AM
Anomander Offline

I got some nice advice in game and here. I think I'll go for the Archer-> dancer class. Though it seems to be hard to solo, many ppl do take in dancer for party it seems. Or so i was told.

My in game name is Analia. Please pm me when you are free. I'll ask lots of doubts. Icon_smile

Anomander is a Girl !
08-08-2011 02:03 AM
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

hi thar, welcome to HeRO!

for more info about RO in general, you might wanna check out RAtemyserver, Doddler's, ROratorio's calc, ROdatazone, and iROwiki. For more info about HeRO customs, there's the forums and HeRO wiki.

all in all, aco->priest can level up quite fast solo without any gear at all. Just get 70 int first (free reset before 40) for healbombing before getting dex/vit.
archer->hunters can also level up quite fast, though you will be somewhat forced to sell some of your early loots for basic equips and arrows. They are also somewhat more flexible than priests, but priests get access to harder dungeons thru parties faster than hunters.

dancers are also good, and they are pretty easy to solo if you go dex/agi (though the main dancer skill "SP-song" is int-based). You can probably get ice dun runs at 7x and nameless at 9x, but again it's mostly probably solo if you're in a hurry so going dex/agi is not a sin. Furthermore, going dex/agi kinda makes you somewhat on par with hunters (DS) although hunters do get some bonus to their solo path (falcon, etc).

anyway, GL and HF!

-w-

PS: in HeRO, it's somewhat a good idea to keep some of the misc/minor loots in case the GMs decide to make them useful in newer quests (check the wiki for all the old ones), but you gotta temper it with your need for basic zeny for healing/repair/basic equips/upgrades.
08-08-2011 02:33 AM
Ptah Offline
Lurker Above

To add in my few cents to Joe's long long post, it's also advisable to get a low-level merchant on any of your accounts for selling loots with them, it's very helpful early in the game, and getting merchant to job 20 isn't that of a problem (Now, knowing how game works i regret that i didn't do such thing back then). You'll want to get their Overcharge skill maxed, and if you feel like it, discount skill can be maxed out also (increases selling price by 24% and decreases buying price from NPCs by 24% accordingly). Along with that i'd advice to go archer->bard better since they are identical to dancers in leveling equips/spots, and in MUCH higher demand than dancers. At least on my memory.
>.>

EDIT:
mahawirasd Wrote:PS: in HeRO, it's somewhat a good idea to keep some of the misc/minor loots in case the GMs decide to make them useful in newer quests (check the wiki for all the old ones), but you gotta temper it with your need for basic zeny for healing/repair/basic equips/upgrades.
Nuuuuuuuuuu, don't listen to wira. Don't make your kafra a junk holder. I did that and now can't go lower than 950/1000 items. Sucks to be me >.>

God i have too many characters. Just call me Bisu and let's end this -_-
[Image: fco46t.jpg][Image: 4se5oh.jpg]
Want to help HeRO? Feeling you're full of ideas that people will adore? Don't just stand there! Join HeRO T&D Crew!
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2011 05:01 AM by Ptah.)
08-08-2011 04:58 AM
iSpam Offline
so i herd u liek mudkipz

ignore the thief class. they suck when you're starting in a LR server :@ (no elem weapons + no good flee gears, you'd be stuck on levelling in bad monsters

imo, start out with an archer, it's the easiest class to start the game with, non movers then just grind hillwinds(sorry if im advertising hillwinds) til you get decent money to get yourself geared/get the other class you wanna play gears Icon_smile

There are four brothers in this world that were all born together:
The first he runs and never wearies,
The second eats and is never full.
The third he drinks and is ever thirsty,
And the fourth sings a song that is never good.
[Image: sn1bw7.gif]
08-08-2011 06:48 AM