Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The future of the server
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

The future of the server

As you can see, the forum/website are back! Sorry for the inconvenience, the hosting contract which we had for a yeah had expired. I re-newed it and it should be ok now for a good 12 months. ^_^

The server will undergo some changes in the next few days/weeks. With GM-Ben and possibly GM-Feith leaving the project, I will become the only admin and main GM of the server. I will be helped by sub-gms of course. I will also become the host, most probably next sunday. (Ben has nicely accepted that we transfer the computer-server from his place to mine.)

I know the server is not at its best right now, let's not kid ourselves it's on its way to dying as we speak if nothing is done, but I promise I will do my best to lift it up again to the great server it once was and give it back as much life as possible!

Below is a list of stuff I intend to do in the next few weeks, some sooner than others. We could have and probably should have done some of those before. Waiting until it's almost too late is not the smartest thing and I appologize in the name of the hero staff for the lack of update lately. My motivation was pretty low with some conflicts that emerged with some of the other GMs or some of the players and personal problem as well. I'm not blaming others, I think it serves no purpose to point fingers. Rather, I'm trying to look ahead and see what can be done. Right now my motivation is back and you can expect a lot of new stuff in a near future.

New stuff comming soon:

- Switch to a newer svn (will fix some bugs! It would be great to have the newest SVN, but it wont be easy because it will require a recompile, something I'm not yet familiar with.)

- New light and dark quests (1 of them ready, written by a player in the contest mentionned in the Allegiance section, 1 half-way written, more on the way.)

- New clothes color palettes (5 added, including 2 L/D made by GM-Feith and another made by me and arranged by Feith.) The new palettes are in game, you can get 4 of them from the stylist (Merry Xmas, Happy Easter, Dark Zone and Sky View), the last one you will need to do a quest to unlock (Zodiac, comming soon).

- OBB/OPB quest (OBB quest is ready to be added soon, opb quest still needs testing)

- New mining (Some minor changes to the mining system, ready and added them last weekend.)

- New customs (Right now I'm preparing 6 new pairs of wings, I'll consider helms next.)
* the 2 elemental that are missing Earth and Wind (made by GM-Feith)
* Angeling Wings (Light)
* Deviling Wings (Dark)
* 2 neutral pairs of wings made with special quests.
The new customs are present in game, I also added 2 helms as well as angel/devil wings for a total of 8 new wings, I will make them gradually available to players with quests and such.

- Trial of heroes:
http://www.pandoraonline.net/forum/showt...p?tid=2019

- Fishing system (Fully tested and working, only needs to be added to the server.) -> Operational & Available.

- Morroc racing (Added in game, only accessible with GM warp, I will use this with novice event so it's fair for everyone)

- The new loading screens (winners of the past 2 contests), and a new contest comming up soon.

- Woe; I will close another castle soon *if* it seems necessary (I'll look at the next few woe's action). Will add a menu to castle switch that gives access to all 4 dongeons if you are in the guild that holds the castle. We'll have a poll regarding the new castles names soon, the remaining GMs just need to agree on which 5 names to present as choices. Done + names updated!

- Forum; I'll re-arrange the forum a little, I'll add a section Archive where some of the old posts will be dropped so we can start fresh and leave the problems of the past behind. Make sure you check the poll section often, this is where I'll gather opinions mostly, vote for what you want for the server.

The maybe list: (Stuff that *might* be added, don't get mad at me if it doesn't!)

- New pets.

- An arena where you can make pets battle (I got a script made by someone else, needs testing.)

- Ninja/Gunner (it's more than likely that we'll have them eventually, I just don't know when, but not in a near future since they are not fully degugged yet and I'm not adding a half-working half-balanced class).

- A new box item, similar to OPB called a "love box", containing most level 4 weapons as well as a lot of "lovely" items. It will only be won in special events.

- New hair styles (will depend on how easy it is to implement).

- New hair palettes (Not exactly sure how, but I'll look into it. Can't be much harder than clothes palettes)

The not-so-fun stuff about the changes:

- There will be a downtime next Sunday when the server is transfered from Ben's house to mine and until I change whatever settings will need changing to make it work from my place (you will need to download another file too -> about 15 meg). I'll try to keep the downtime as short as I can humanly make it. Downtime was a few hours, sorry it was so long, we had trouble with the SQL.

- I might drop the patcher, I'm not all that great with technical stuff and I feel (from seeing the other GMs who worked on it) it will be too time consuming, I'd rather spend my energy on other stuff for now. It's very fancy and a real trouble saver on the player's part, but when adding the customs it created a load of trouble on the GM part. I will instead most likely be releasing 1 file per month which will contain all the changes and will be around 10-15meg, all you will have to do is drop that in your RO folder. I'll try to make the file downloadable ahead so those with a slow connection can download it prior to the server change.

I will not be hiring new GMs for now -> I'll make a post about hiring GM soon. I will require some help, if you want to offer help most of the stuff you can do yourself, to volonteer for the more technical stuff you can pm me here on the forum.

Here's a list of stuff I might need help with:

- Testing of the server data : People with a fast connection, who can download a new client + datafolder (about 20meg) often and help me test if they work properly and who knows how to change it back to their original settings afterwards (aka make backups).
- Linux in general
- GRF files
- Act files
- Proxy!
- Clients (I need help with hexing clients mostly)
- Testing in-game : checking for spelling mistakes, errors in scripting of npcs and such, report any mistakes to me.
- Comments, Suggestions & Feedback : we have sections for those in the forum, all suggestions and feedback are more than welcome! Remember to vote in the polls too.
- Vote for the server daily! Having a good position on the Tops, specially the top100 helps us get new player and we need more people on the server.
- Talk about the server to your friends and people you know, get new people to join heRO! ^_^
- Try to get along with each other.. (!)
- Report bugs, abuse, rule breaking if you see any.

Comments/Suggestions/Feedback of any kind is welcome (stay polite however).

It's not all that much, but I promise I'll do my very best for this server! Long live heRO!
~ Panda ^_^

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
08-23-2006 07:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ultima_Pi Offline
Queen Bitch of the Universe

RE: The future of the server

Ninja doesn't really work as far as I'm concerned.

Looking forward to the changes.

Marivel, Sidewinder - 99 Lady Sniper
Melody Vilente - 99 High Priestess
Yuugi Hoshiguma - 99 Champion

Gojira Wrote:Your keyboards aren't lightsabers bros...
08-23-2006 10:17 AM
Hitoo Offline

I tested Gunslingers on diffrent servers, and they all worked correctly, I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to introduce Gunners (Ninjas on the other hand...).

Lots of nice little things coming along, good luck Pan and break a leg (literaly, so you will be fixed in front of your comp, forced to commit 23h per day on the server.. 1h to sleep/eat). Icon_biggrin

PS: Don't forget to try and place back the 2 voting banners on the forum!

[Image: sign2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2006 02:27 PM by Hitoo.)
08-23-2006 02:26 PM
Pyronic Offline
Fire Starter

Icon_biggrin it makes me smile alot!!!

[Image: pyrosig1ln4.th.jpg]

Uploaded with
ImageShack.us
    *~Talking to my blades like they fly b*tches~*
08-23-2006 04:42 PM
Motenai_Ronin Offline
Lord Jugger

downloading a new file doesn't make me smile 8/
bittorrenting is really slow for that XT please be direct download several hours vs several days

~Wesa got a grand army!~ || ~Phreeoni's Cave of Wonders~
[Image: geonosisbanner.jpg][Image: phreenoni.png]  
Jugger (LK) Jester (Hunter) Beast (Taekwon) War Machine (BlackSmith) Iron Man (Merchant)
08-23-2006 06:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GM-Boomy Offline
Admin

you won't need to download RO or sakray, just our client which will be like 10megs, no BT required

[Image: htnxc]
08-23-2006 07:33 PM
Lance Offline
Dragon Lance - Hiya! Normal People!

hero-fullv3 ?
08-23-2006 08:42 PM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

probably 2-3 files, 20 megs at most in total.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
08-23-2006 09:09 PM
SPIEGEL Offline
Malvados Corp.

dont will be a true problem ..
Congratz miss Pandora!

[Image: my.php?image=ddriori7iuqm8.gif] "No matter what happened, it's not my fault!"
08-23-2006 09:52 PM
F Mortal Offline
Super Saiyan Tweety

Aw, don't worry about the server dying, I'm bringing in a few friends to play on it ;D!
08-23-2006 10:00 PM