Poll: Change client?
Yes, update to the Renewal Client
No, stick with the Current Client
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Renewal Client, yay or nay?
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Renewal Client, yay or nay?

Before you vote please take the following things into consideration:
  • We are NOT getting Renewal mechanics or classes, we're just talking about the client here, which is the .exe you click to start the game.
  • The renewal client is a package deal it comes with new features and unfortunately some bugs too, can't pick and choose just some of it, and so read all of it before choosing please.
  • Changing the client is not like updating a npc, we're actually pretty limited in the things we can change.
  • Transitioning from a client to another can cause temporary problems, specially for players that don't always patch. Of course if we go ahead with the renewal client we will try our best to announce it in advance and make it as problem-free as possible. The fact still is that once we switch the server to work with the renewal client, the old client will not work anymore.

Features:
  • New Storage with search function (it's case sensitive)
  • New permanent battle mode with 4 skills bar
  • The basic information window is bigger and merged with status (stats).
  • Pressing Esc closes the windows you have open, from the last window you opened up to the first.

Inconvenience:
  • Monster name is colored depending on its difficulty compared to your level, since that's a renewal feature it's not a bug, but with our mechanic the color is not even meaningful to the actual difficulty of the mob for us.
  • Pressing F12 completely toggles the skill bar on or off. On iRO, F12 expands the next bar under it each time you press it until all four are visible, and then an additional press then closes them all. This is due to our renewal client being an earlier version than the one they currently use on iRO.
  • Kinda worth mentioning, most current skins wont work with the renewal client, that is some of the interface will be the design of your skin and newer ones will be the default.
  • Stuff in the interface stayed highlighted even after you move your mouse away sometimes (I personally have not encountered that bug, but it's listed in our test thread, people report getting it on iRO as well.)
  • The client wont work if you still have Sakray, by now most people should have more updated files than this so it shouldn't be an issue. If you wanna check if you have Ragray, look in your folder for a rdata.grf, if you got that you should be fine.

Bugs:
  • Custom items that are slotted don't show a slot, perhaps we'll find a solution for that eventually. You can still put a card in the item, and the card will function just fine, but you wont see the little slot under the item description and you wont see the card, to know which card is inside you'll have to search the prefix/suffix (rms has that search feature). This bug only applies to items created by heRO, official slotted items work fine. It's possible we'll eventually be able to fix this bug, but that this time we don't know how to.
  • Some windows or window title are still in korean, not many, mostly error windows, like the wrong password, are you sure you want to respawn (when you die), are you sure you want to apply skill points, etc. It's likely we'll eventually find the translation, I think this bug is fixable.. Fixed, thanks to Leah!
  • Amongst the testers of the new client there was 1 person who could no longer type "@" in game, they have to copy the character @ and use shift+enter in game to use commands. The issue is probably related to keyboard configuration (he uses "Fran?ais (Canada)" for his keyboard, I use "Fran?ais Canadien Multilingue Standard" and I don't have this issue), so far no one has had any problem with English configurations or any other language except French, and only 1 specific confirguration. Fixed, thanks to Fyrus!
  • Very minor: On the options tab the "video configurations", "sound configurations", and "shortcut configurations" are a darker text than the rest of the others.

Other than the things listed above it works well, the test server has been running on the renewal client for many months now. The list of bugs seems long but it's not all that bad. Personally I don't mind either way, I like both clients, so I'm not voting.

Edited by Azote:

Here are screenshots of a few features:
http://i43.tinypic.com/28upnqp.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/4r703r.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/33dzfv5.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/106eo3k.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/35hfk0p.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/33p3fio.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/141jome.jpg

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
04-25-2013 11:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jens Offline
Weird Spider Sir

RE: Renewal Client, yay or nay?

I hate the renewal BM so that was a negative for me, now that I see the list of bugs, it's definitely a big no for me

(not to mention the lack of renewal skins)

[Image: 4NuAbXh.png]
04-25-2013 11:55 AM
Sen Offline
Arcana Gala

The bugs were kind of a big turn off for me, so I don't know why I chose the 'yes'.

Either way, the only thing I like about the renewal client is probably the storage. The others I can manage with, not sure about the BM but I prefer the current one. Shshshss, it's so hard to choose.

[Image: c6wglkt.gif]
Arcana Gala : thread &tumblr
Send me a pm!

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 12:38 PM by Sen.)
04-25-2013 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cane 33 Offline
Pancake

RE:??Renewal Client, yay or nay?

Jens Wrote:I hate the renewal BM so that was a negative for me, now that I see the list of bugs, it's definitely a big no for me

(not to mention the lack of renewal skins)
I quote and add that I don't like this too:

Quote:Pressing Esc closes the windows you have open, from the last window you opened up to the first.

[Image: 2uikp3q.jpg]

Ren is the best
04-25-2013 01:27 PM
myBlack_isWhite Offline

Voted "YES", cuz partylist lock is very useful feature. I'll be able to spam skills on partylist without worrying that if i'll click too fast the chat window will pop up and will had to close it and turn on bm again while my party is dying... All people who play support classes (mainly HPs and profs) will love it for sure. And renewal BM is much better than the regular one. U just should get used to it and u'll see that it's rly better than the refular one.

Mr Brightside ~ High Priest 99/70
Mr Darkside ~ Assassin Cross 99/70
Magic Nerd ~ Professor 99/70
Mr Drunkside ~ Champion 98/67
SpeedCrew ~ Sniper 97/67
Pepe Carrero ~ High Wizard 96/67
Jimi Hendrix ~ Clown 95/65
Millionyoung ~ Stalker 95/65
Tony Grey ~ Creator 92/64
Fouk ~ Lord Knight 92/58
Californication ~ Soul Linker 91/50
04-25-2013 01:41 PM
Seth~ Offline
Half-ling Assasin

GM-Pandora Wrote:Features:

[*]New Storage with search function (it's case sensitive)
Have to learn how the game works again (folder)
GM-Pandora Wrote:[*]New permanent battle mode with 4 skills bar
How would you differentiate between skill bars. Have to learn how the game works again (folder)
GM-Pandora Wrote:[*]Pressing Esc closes the windows you have open, from the last window you opened up to the first.
fail to see the issue. More mouse work I guess?
GM-Pandora Wrote:Bugs:
[*]Custom items that are slotted don't show a slot, perhaps we'll find a solution for that eventually. You can still put a card in the item, and the card will function just fine, but you wont see the little slot under the item description and you wont see the card, to know which card is inside you'll have to search the prefix/suffix (rms has that search feature). This bug only applies to items created by heRO, official slotted items work fine. It's possible we'll eventually be able to fix this bug, but that this time we don't know how to.
Eventually to be fixed fine by me, if implemented a list of these items would be nice.
GM-Pandora Wrote:[*]Stuff in the interface stayed highlighted even after you move your mouse away sometimes (I personally have not encountered that bug, but it's listed in our test thread.)
If so highly irritating imo.
GM-Pandora Wrote:[*]Not really a bug, but still worth mentioning, most skins wont work with the renewal client, that is some of the interface will be the design of your skin and newer ones will be the default.
[/list]
Can be edited so ok I guess. Most of the problems is teething problems? I believe most of them can be survived. Maybe let some of the major bugs teeth out in the test server until *most problematic ones* is teeth'd?

most wanted buying list
http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=19956
04-25-2013 01:47 PM
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

It's funny how, aside from the bugs, the things everyone has said they dislike about renewal client are the things I love about it.

I hate the current system for battle mode, and I like that the renewal client allows??you to change which hotkeys are what. So instead of QWERTY style battle mode you could change those to 12345678 or whatever else you are comfortable with.

I honestly don't mind being able to close windows with esc, as there are times when I have a lot of windows open and it's a quick and easy out.

The one thing I don't like is the change to the stats now being in the same screen as your equipment, but??I feel that's livable.

I'm really looking forward to the renewal client storage. That search function is a godsend for people with overflowing storages, and the fact that there's more tabs to organize the equipment (separating weapons and armors) and separate the ammunition from the other misc loots would make it a lot more convenient.

I'm all for the renewal client in spite of it's flaws. The good vastly outweighs the bad.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 02:14 PM by The Legendary Joe.)
04-25-2013 02:01 PM
Seth~ Offline
Half-ling Assasin

RE:??Renewal Client, yay or nay?

The Legendary Joe Wrote:I'm really looking forward to the renewal client storage. That search function is a godsend for people with overflowing storages, and the fact that there's more tabs to organize the equipment (separating weapons and armors) and separate the ammunition from the other misc loots would make it a lot more convenient.

I'm all for the renewal client in spite of it's flaws. The good vastly outweighs the bad.
Nice. btw I didnt even bother with renewal client info before this due to opposition. More tabs would be nice. More tabs for 'item' and 'ect' would also be nice. I hope the search function can work with the item code.

*voted yes, with benefits*

most wanted buying list
http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=19956
04-25-2013 02:34 PM
Menace651 Offline

I vote yes. HeRO is due for an update. Renewal client is designed to make RO more user friendly. The item searching and sorting in storage as well as the partylock is reason enough to implement it. As far as the bugs go I think we can live with minor bugs and I have faith the GM team will fix them as they come up.

Just @who2 Menace ingame. You should find me if I'm on. thanks!
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2013 02:42 PM by Menace651.)
04-25-2013 02:40 PM
Jens Offline
Weird Spider Sir

Oh, and I forgot - alt+a merged with alt+q - how horrible, I hate that.

[Image: 4NuAbXh.png]
04-25-2013 02:58 PM