Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need help and people's input on Windows 8!
MrsCharcanine Offline
PKMN TRAINER

Need help and people's input on Windows 8!

So as same may have known, my Sony VAIO laptop of like 4-6 years old has finally reached the end. =[ So later today I should be buying a new laptop! ^.^ Or tomorrow, one of the two. Anyways, I really need some input on Windows 8.

I've heard there were some issues in the past concerning Windows 8 & Ragnarok Online clients in general. So, my question is, is it okay to get Windows 8 & still play heRO on it? If there are any issues regarding heRO and Windows 8, please give me in detail what they are, and if the case can be solved!

Thanks so much!

[Image: kku876l]
[Image: 1zf23br.png]
05-02-2013 03:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

RE: Need help and people's input on Windows 8!

I'm honestly not sure. I haven't bothered to put heRO on my windows 8 laptop??because I've had an issue where I can't use the F1-F9 keys without holding the fn button, but I'm unsure if that's a hardware issue or the OS issue.

Though I've heard people with windows 8 saying they can play heRO, and I've heard people with it saying they couldn't. I dunno what's up.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 03:57 PM by The Legendary Joe.)
05-02-2013 03:56 PM
Spuznik Offline
Salamander

Joe, you can change that in your BIOS set up. When you start there's one of the function buttons you hit (I think for me it's F9 or F8 it should tell you) look around you should find something regarding function and media keys, you can set which ones need fn to be held down there.

Sorry those directions are vague at best, but I don't have to change it very often.

You can probably find me in game if I'm on by using @who spuz.

Other then that message me here or something, not sure how often I will check it.
05-02-2013 04:22 PM
Raging Alt-a-holic

Oh wow, that was an easier fix than I thought, thanks for the tip. And now to download the full installer and see if I can't get this place to run on Win8.
05-02-2013 07:38 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

I had no troubles having heRO work on my Windows 8 ASUS laptop.

Just chose to delete it because its mostly a machine I use for working on personal projects and I keep the games and distractions down to a minimum. Icon_razz

But basically copied over my heRO files from my main computer to the laptop via SD card.

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
05-02-2013 09:01 PM
MrsCharcanine Offline
PKMN TRAINER

RE:??Need help and people's input on Windows 8!

Aaronock Wrote:I had no troubles having heRO work on my Windows 8 ASUS laptop.

Just chose to delete it because its mostly a machine I use for working on personal projects and I keep the games and distractions down to a minimum. Icon_razz

But basically copied over my heRO files from my main computer to the laptop via SD card.??

My worry I that when I download using the full installer on Windows 8 there may be a problem. And i cant xfer my files from my previous laptop ;-;. But it's good to know that there were no problems!

[Image: kku876l]
[Image: 1zf23br.png]
05-02-2013 09:57 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

I doubt there would be honestly. Just mostly a time consumer to get the patching done. Icon_razz

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
05-02-2013 10:33 PM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

It should work, make sure to set the exe (the install one as well as setup, hero and heropatcher) to run as admin. If you encounter any problem you can always try the compatibility mode (its in the properties, set it as XP), but I've never heard of someone having to do that so far.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
05-03-2013 08:04 AM
Raging Alt-a-holic

So far, I've managed to install it and patch it okay, but the window is so tiny it's unusable!
http://imageshack.us/a/img836/7104/windows8d.png

Both windowed and un-windowed mode yields the same result. It's even running as admin... I guess It's scavenger hunting time for compatability mode since I can't seem to find it, Maybe I'm just overlooking it x_x;;

Edit: Compatability mode with the "reccomended settings" doesn't change anything. Troubleshooting the problems with compability mode makes my screen go wonky. Mostly black with a portion of whatever I had on display enlarged. It looks like it tries to open, but then it just quits and closes.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 11:49 PM by The Legendary Joe.)
05-03-2013 11:25 PM
Spuznik Offline
Salamander

setup.exe?
There are several different ones, sometimes they don't work for everyone and every client I'll just post a link to an alternative one, but make sure you try the default first.

http://nn.nachtwolke.com/dev/opensetup/

You can also override windowsize on most computers by fiddling with dinput.ini and changing

WindowWidth = 0
WindowHeight = 0

You can probably find me in game if I'm on by using @who spuz.

Other then that message me here or something, not sure how often I will check it.
05-04-2013 12:27 AM