Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Free BG
azurerogue Offline
One Dogma: THROW AD!

Free BG

It's that time again... I'm going to continue to make my arguments why BG should be free. You can read them or not. Here's the TL;DR version:

BG SHOULD BE FREE

BG is arguably all about farming gears for future BG, PvP, and WoE. The drops are among the best in the game for use in those environments (and not terribly useful outside of them in some cases). This means that BG is a great "end game" equipment farm (not to mention that if you enjoy PvP you probably find it somewhat fun). While there are a number of elements on heRO that specifically detract from this (random teams, timed BG unless you have keys, etc.) I think the most bothersome is the 50000 zeny fee to join.

Unless you used a key (which are inherently limited in quantity and thus similar to an economic resources such as zeny) you have to pay 50000 zeny to participate in BG (if you get selected). This is totally unfair. BG is the end-game for people who don't enjoy PvM or MvPing. It was, in my opinion, intended to introduce (in its original form) a way that players could earn better gear outside of the same old PvM grind.

Here's how they compare in my opinion. In PvM you farm to get better gear. What you need to invest to do this is time, resources (in most cases), and that's about it. In BG you farm to get better gear. What you need to invest to do this is time, resources, and zeny to even have the chance. On top of that you have little to no control over the composition of your team (unlike in PvM).

Why do players who want to BG have to pay for the right to spend resources and time and effort to get better gear? To be fair, then, I think that MVP maps should only be accessible if you pay 50000 zeny each time. You should also only be allowed to enter the map once an hour unless you have an item you earn from some other event. Also I think that when you go to MVP you should be randomly assigned team members.

I get that not everything about BG will change - but can we stop using it as a zeny sink because all you're doing is taking an outdated product and making players pay for it. Not only does it discourage people who might be interested in BG from trying it but it also gouges the PvP population of zeny beyond what they will naturally consume by using mats during BG.

Signed,

Me

- Albus Dumbledore 99/70 Professor - Albus DumbIedore 92/59 Professor
- AIbus Dumbledore 93/50 Wizard - AIbus DumbIedore 1/1 Novice
- Astaroth 99/70 Creator - Dawkins 99/70 Creator
- Exemplar 98/69 Paladin - Equitas 80/47 Paladin
- Mephistopheles 95/65 Lord Knight - Shogo Kawada 97/67 Stalker
05-13-2013 12:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mahawirasd Offline
Posting Freak

RE: Free BG

aside from the zeny sink, i see the fee as a (somewhat laughable) barrier of entry for newbies - i reckon it would be even more unfair for ppl who are srs about BG-ing if they weren't chosen just because some noob decided to level his first char through free BG...

perhaps to make sure that this does not happen we need to think about the possibility of removing the exp script if we are to remove the zeny requirement

W
05-13-2013 09:17 AM
azurerogue Offline

That would be fine by me and would make sense (although do people seriously use BG to level?). I mean, more power to them, currently, but that's the slowest leveling method I've ever heard of even if you key at every possible interval.

But yea, you'd need to do something about experience if zeny cost is removed. And frankly that would be a great trade off for pretty much everyone involved.

05-13-2013 09:30 AM
Mr. Charcanine Offline
PKMN MASTER

I think if I was 89, I'd hope to be getting at least more than 100k exp per hour xD

05-13-2013 11:16 AM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Thanks for your suggestion.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
05-13-2013 02:59 PM
yacsef Offline
Kappa

Level a noob with BG? Forget it! It must be the slowest way to get experience and this, by wasting your zeny.
Anyways, i totally agree with your suggestion. It is on my list of things that have to be free, like the healer, the warper, the storage access (40z OMG). It's not because it makes me poor or something, it's just that i don't see the goal of making these services payable.
05-13-2013 06:49 PM
Beauty Away
>ω<

I don't care about the other services because it doesn't matter but I strongly disagree with free BG. Although I am *very* inactive but I alone have spent at least 100mil zeny there so it would be really unfair for those who are much active and have spent few hundred million zeny on bg.

I demand a zeny refund for everyone if it becomes free. Mad

If you are looking for me, send me a pm. I might see it. No1
05-14-2013 01:49 AM
Mr. Charcanine Offline
PKMN MASTER

RE:??Free BG

Beauty Wrote:I don't care about the other services because it doesn't matter but I strongly disagree with free BG. Although I am *very* inactive but I alone have spent at least 100mil zeny there so it would be really unfair for those who are much active and have spent few hundred million zeny on bg.

I demand a zeny refund for everyone if it becomes free. Mad

This was what I was talking about in the other thread. You can't please the newbies because BG costs a lot of zenny, and you can't please the vets because they've already spent a lot of zenny. We all know they won't just give back millions of zennies to the vets.

It's a vicious circle. In the end, its much easier not to change anything at all.

I would like there to be free BG, but I'd assume for that to happen, we'd have to agree not to complain about it (at least for issues that we know they can't fix).

05-14-2013 03:58 AM
cane 33 Offline
Pancake

I don't care of all moneys that I spend (and are a very lot): I used that money for get fun and gears.
I quote Albus: in my opnion make BG free is the only option for make some people start BG. This server has some problems with pvp/woe in last days and the BG free can help imo.

For the veterans that spend money on money: don't be greedy!

[Image: 2uikp3q.jpg]

Ren is the best
05-14-2013 08:32 AM
azurerogue Offline

If we're worried about unfair differences between newbies and veterans, consider free BG a nice change to make up for the fact that old players got access to a TON of "free" GRs through fishing and OCAs.??

Mr. Charcanine Wrote:It's a vicious circle. In the end, its much easier not to change anything at all.
Things change.??What people who argue AGAINST free BG are saying is that they'd prefer no good changes because they had to deal with worse...??which is ridiculous, really.??Game development occurs over time.??Just because you (and I) had to do things one way doesn't mean it should never change...??that would make progress impossible.

If BG was accidentally set to cost 10m zeny would you argue we should never change it because older players had to deal with it?

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2013 10:40 AM by azurerogue.)
05-14-2013 10:24 AM