Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Installing heRO 101
Laenaya Offline
Where's my flyswatter?!

Installing heRO 101

Since a lot of people seem to have issues installing and/or getting heRO to run (or simply don't know how to), I decided to post this guide.

Step 1: Downloading the client

You have two options:

1. heRO's Full Installer

Go to heRO's main page, then to the "Downloads" section and get the server's "Full-Installer (with Background Music)" [2.3 GB], or "Full-Installer (no BGM)" [2 GB]. This is the best option right now, since the installers got updated. If you picked this option, you should be ready to play in a few minutes! (or hours, depending on your connection)

Note: If you have a slow and/or unstable connection it's recommended that you use a download manager, such as Free Download Manager, GetRight, FlashGet, or anything else you might come by.

2. The latest Korean Official Client (kRO)

Go to Ratemyserver, then to the "kRO Clients" section and get the latest "kRO Client Folder" [10-18-2013 as of now] (which isn't a installer but a ready-to-play RO folder). An alternative for people who prefer downloading via torrent is the this site [last one released is "kRO & Renewal Full Client 2013-12-01"].

Note: Ragray staff unfortunately have stopped their project, so it's not an option at the moment.

Step 2: Installing

Before you start to install, make a new folder anywhere you'd like to place the files required to play heRO, but make sure that said folder is NOT inside "Program Files" (or any variations), because that usually brings a lot of headache (Desktop or your personal folder will be fine), mainly if you're using Windows 7 or Windows 8. Rename your new folder to whatever you wish, I'd recommend you to name it "heRO", just so it's easier to be found whenever you need to, but anything you prefer will do.

2. a) If you picked the option #1:

Extract the content of "hero-full20130906.zip", all 3 files to the same folder (the place for these is irrelevant), then run the installer named "hero-full20130906.exe" (it may take a few minutes to show up, depending on your computer resources).

[Image: YrskiBO.png]

Click on the "Next >" button, but only once or twice, until you see a window similar to the one shown below!

[Image: pED3JZ1.png]
(click on the screenshot to enlarge it)

When you see this window, click on the "Browse..." button and choose your "heRO" folder (and I'll insist, avoiding placing it in "Program Files"!). Notice that after choosing your "heRO" folder it'll add "\RO" in the end of its path, delete that!

[Image: 1bLktkg.png]
(example)

Now you can hit "Next >", then "Start" in the next window. It may take several minutes for this to finish and will most likely seem to have stopped responding while extracting the file "data.grf" because it has over 1 GB, just be patient. When done, click on "Next >", then "Exit" and skip to Step 4.

2. b) If you picked the option #2:

You'll need to download "heRO's Mini Installer" [172 MB]. Now extract all the files, from the RAR's you've just downloaded from RMS, to your "heRO" folder. Run "hero-mini20130915.exe" afterwards, click only once on "Next >", then on the "..." button and choose your "heRO" folder (the window is similar to the picture above) to install it in there as well.

Step 3: Patching the official client

Note: If you've downloaded one of the "Full Installers", skip this step because it'll most likely not work for you, but heRO staff adds official content to heRO's GRF file if/when necessary so don't worry about it.

You'll need custom patchers, both for the kRO (main) client and the RE (Renewal) client, because the official patchers block anyone out of South Korea. Both "kRO Client Folder" and "heRO Full Installer" come with custom patchers, but it's always better to get an up-to-date version, so go to this website to download the latest "RagnarokOnline Patcher Lite for kRO RAG" and "RagnarokOnline Patcher Lite for kRO RE".

Extract both patchers to the root folder (the top most/initial folder) of your "heRO" folder and run both RSU Patchers, one at a time. They look like this:

[Image: DjaoPfa.jpg]

Let them update until the end, then hit the "Close" button (NOT "Start", it's "Close"):

[Image: CxOfwY7.jpg]screenshot]

Step 4: Getting the files ready to play

Now go to your "heRO" folder and you'll see more than one heRO client:

[Image: 0gL5ED0.png]

Well, they're basically the same thing, but the original one, "heRO.exe", has the main chat in purple and "heRO_blue.exe" has the main chat in blue, while the "no Death" ones don't bring up the menu with "Return to save", "Character Select" and "Exit to Windows" options right away, when you die (best choice to avoid clicking on those by accident!).

Once you choose one, rename "heRO.exe" to something like "heRO(default).exe" (or whatever you prefer), just so you can tell which was the original one, if you ever decide to use it. Now rename the chosen version to "heRO.exe" and we shall continue.

4.1. For Win7 or Win8 users (if you use WinXP or previous versions skip this):

Right click "heROpatcher.exe", click on "Properties", then click on the "Compatibility" tab (it's at the top) and check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" and check "Run this program as an administrator" as well. Repeat that for "heRO.exe".

[Image: 7HPDIuc.jpg]

Now look for "Setup.exe" and see if the icon looks like a ghostring or like a orange haired girl. If it looks like a ghostring it'll most likely not work, because it's not compatible with heRO's current client, so it's better to download an older version (link from this thread). If you download the older version of "Setup.exe", move/copy it to the root of your "heRO" folder.

[Image: g4QPJGb.jpg]
(newer version on the left; older, and working, version on the right)

Now do with "Setup.exe" exactly what you've done to "heROpatcher.exe" and "heRO.exe".

Note: If you don't see the "Compatibility" tab in "Properties", right click each of the mentioned files and pick "Troubleshoot Compatibility".

[Image: ty7VFl1.png]

Then "Try recommended settings" and it'll automatically pick what I've suggested above:

[Image: 2damSkb.png]

Click on "Start the program..." and see if it works properly:

[Image: ntuQXWV.png]

If it does, click on "Yes, save these settings for this program" and you're set:

[Image: W6WGfCK.png]

Note: If none of the "Setup.exe" versions nor "Opensetup" are working for you and you don't mind playing in windowed mode, you can try this tool made by myself.

Step 5: Getting heRO started

Run "Setup.exe", choose an appropriate graphics card on the first dropbox, choose your wished resolution and sound options ("Use 3D Sound" isn't recommended if your sound card is old). An alternative is to use "Opensetup.exe" instead of the official one, which got recently added to the full installer and can be downloaded here, if anything.

If you wish to use Opensetup, make sure you check the option to save the changes in the registry (REG button), cause the option to save in a LUA file isn't compatible with heRO's client.

[Image: TtDoLtI.png]

Now you can run "heROpatcher.exe" (there should be a "heRO" shortcut in your Desktop, that works too) and let it patch all the way.

Hooray! Once it's done updating you can finally enjoy the game. Icon_biggrin

PS: If you ever update the official clients, it'll most likely replace your current AI files for newer ones, which aren't compatible with the current client used by heRO. If that happens/happened, you can download compatible files from this thread.

[Image: CWsTYo5.png]
Dem friends!
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 03:24 PM by Laenaya.)
06-18-2013 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Laenaya Offline
Where's my flyswatter?!

RE: Installing heRO 101

If you use MAC OS X or a Linux distro, the easiest way to get any Windows based program (including RO of course) to run smoothly is using a Virtual Machine (you'll need a installation disc/ISO of your favorite Windows version though lol). I personally like VirtualBox.

After installing a Virtual Machine you can simply install heRO in it following the same steps posted previously.

Also, if someone has links to Linux and MAC OS X guides they wanna share (not from other RO server's forums/wiki), go ahead!

Dem friends!
06-18-2013 03:35 PM
Debris Offline
Equivalent Exchange

Also a good way to get windows on a linux or a mac, is just partition your main drive, and run bootcamp or the linux based program to install windows on the empty partition.

Caitlin
Disease, Debris, Shiranai
[Image: sblkpu.jpg]
06-18-2013 04:45 PM
formerGM-Lassander Offline

<___<
>___>

I probably shouldn't be mentioning this, but if you install the full installer you don't really have to update rsu, the important files are patched into the HeRO grf anyways, and until the next HeRO update, if you update completely you'll have the renewal Alberta.

The GM team is currently working on bringing HeRO more up to date client side, but its a fairly big jump and it may take a while.

[Image: 2znn2u8.jpg]

Thanks to Mr. Charcanine for the signature.
06-18-2013 06:34 PM
Laenaya Offline
Where's my flyswatter?!

RE:??Installing heRO 101

GM-Lassander Wrote:<___<
>___>

I probably shouldn't be mentioning this, but if you install the full installer you don't really have to update rsu, the important files are patched into the HeRO grf anyways, and until the next HeRO update, if you update completely you'll have the renewal Alberta.

The GM team is currently working on bringing HeRO more up to date client side, but its a fairly big jump and it may take a while.
Good call, it screws up Izlude too lol

If you have any issues in Izlude and/or Alberta you can download the older version of them here. Extract them to the "data" sub-folder, inside your "heRO" folder (if you don't have it, just make one).

Editing the original post to add that. Also, could you maybe pin this thread and then the GM's (or myself) can update it as needed?

Dem friends!
06-18-2013 07:30 PM
GM-Rahice Offline
The Malevolent Queen Maleficent

Pinned 8D

[Image: Rahice.gif]
Thank you Ren for the Signature!
06-18-2013 07:38 PM
Ptah Offline
Lurker Above

Wow, thanks for those maps. It was bugging me, but not enough for my laziness to let me search the answer ^_^

God i have too many characters. Just call me Bisu and let's end this -_-
[Image: fco46t.jpg][Image: 4se5oh.jpg]
Want to help HeRO? Feeling you're full of ideas that people will adore? Don't just stand there! Join HeRO T&D Crew!
06-19-2013 12:03 AM
Mhalicot Offline

:O Its not an Issue if you Click Start on patcher, still it will work fine :3

I Always Click start on both Rag and Renewal.. so far smooth and no issue at all..

and not recommended the kRO Clients for does has slow connection.. better to use Torrent Icon_smile
06-19-2013 01:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zeena Offline

I re-installed heRO, because my RO folder was a mess.

When I got to running heroPatcher.exe, I got an error that said "neoncube directory created, please copy files inside and configure!" I use a Mac, and use CrossOver to play, because it's free. I'm not quite sure what that error means.
06-19-2013 01:23 PM
Laenaya Offline
Where's my flyswatter?!

RE:??Installing heRO 101

Ptah Wrote:Wow, thanks for those maps. It was bugging me, but not enough for my laziness to let me search the answer ^_^
You're welcome! Gotta thanks Pandora too for having that outdated full client with them in it I suppose lmao

Mhalicot Wrote::O Its not an Issue if you Click Start on patcher, still it will work fine :3
Clicking on Start may bring the official client up (or try to), which takes some time and is totally unnecessary, not to mention Game Guard/HShield can be extremely annoying. Other than that it's fine if you rather do that lol

Zeena Wrote:I re-installed heRO, because my RO folder was a mess.

When I got to running heroPatcher.exe, I got an error that said "neoncube directory created, please copy files inside and configure!" I use a Mac, and use CrossOver to play, because it's free. I'm not quite sure what that error means.
I've have never used a MAC so I can't help you much about that, but apparently you're missing the files for heRO's patcher (neoncube is the patcher client heRO uses). You can dowload a copy of the content of my neoncube folder here, if you want, and extract the content to your neoncube folder. That should work, if not, you might need better assistance from MAC users =/

Dem friends!
06-19-2013 02:16 PM