Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dual client
Flack Offline

Dual client

Alright well I tried the search function and could not find the answer I was looking for. I know in the server rules you have stated dual client is not allowed. My question is why was it decided to no be allowed on this server? This has clearly been a long standing decision and I am wondering if the original reasons basically are no longer valid.

What I feel I'm going to receive as an answer is that it was a way to force people into party play. On the flip side of that I will quote Doddler "RO is a unique mmo because even though you can put together a 12 man party to kill "insert MVP name here" I can just grab pots and assump myself and kill the MVP solo.

I think right now the subject should be revisited. I think right now this one rule stands as a barrier for entry for new players. Your server has a lot of cool customs and is extremely unique compared to most other pservers. This however is a fairly large turnoff.

I'll wait to hear the response to my question.
08-09-2013 04:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jens Offline
Weird Spider Sir

RE: Dual client

As for myself, the possibility of dualclienting is a huge turn off for *me*. So are players requesting it.

As for long standing decisions, this is a major gameplay change and IMO one of the things that should stay as they are and should not be changed after having been set at the start of the server. The impact of this change is HUGE and I don't even count with PvP/WoE impact, as I don't WoE myself.
Or BG. Set up six clients and BG against yourself? Perish the thought.

I don't think I am alone with my negative opinion about dual/multiclienting and I think we'd be looking at influx of the new players but also outflux of currently residing players. Frankly, I think less of players relying on multiclients and having it as one of conditions for server seeking, so I wouldn't trade fifty such players for five players leaving. Deal with it.

But that's just me, an insignificant nobody barely playing these days. You'll have to wait for the official statement some more.

[Image: 4NuAbXh.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2013 05:02 PM by Jens.)
08-09-2013 05:01 PM
Weapon Offline
The Family Jewels

It'd be nice if you could at least do it in town--like vending. It'd make transfers and brewing/cooking/forging so much less of a pain in the ass if you could just give it to yourself without burdening others, adhering to schedules, or taking otherwise unnecessary risks. Joining 2-3 hour brewing parties would never have to happen again, you could just make it yourself :V
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2013 06:52 PM by Weapon.)
08-09-2013 06:51 PM
Deviluke Offline
Celestial Mistress

I am neither in favor of dual clienting, or against it. I've played with it on another server and without it here, and considering the state of the server atm I can see how it would help and also just negatively affect things in general.

Regarding the BG point that was brought up by Jens, when I was Administrating another server about a year ago (which allowed dual clienting) BG was always a bit of a sticky situation. We had to actually have GMs hide and monitor BG because a lot of people did just multi client alts in to mass gather badges (since it was the typical BG mods where you gain badges, not points). Because you can't exactly make a script to block same IP players because it might be siblings who live in the same house, or a friend is over at someone's house, etc. It just ends up being a huge mess and considering there's maybe 10 (at max + being generous) people who still care about BG on hero I think it would just end up making a headache for a GM who gets elected to babysit all of 5 people for 10 minutes each hour. Plus it would probably cause a ton of tickets regarding "suspected dual clienters" and just yum more drama all around.

WoE with dual clienting here (considering it's only FE) would be ridiculous. It would become a battle of who has the strongest computer (or the most computers) and can successfully dual client a full precast + traps and lokis. So let's not touch on that.

From a PVM standpoint, I think it could have the potential to tank the economy (or what's left of it at least) because you could easily just dual/multi-client an entire MVP setup outside portal or in town and just Lex + Slam things like Valk and SM down without needing other people. (And Yes I speak from experience because I did solo/duo all the high end mvps on that other server).

However, I do agree with Weapon that it has become a pain in the ass to try and find brewing parties because it can take a lot of people sometimes depending on what you brew and it gets to be annoying trying to get everyone's schedules/time to line up. And with a recent decline in population (from my point of view at least) this has become a bit more of a hassle than it has been in the past. However, I'd sooner request that we get a BG that actually let's us farm mats like Potions/ADs/etc over dual clienting to brew easier, since it might actually help people to participate in these activities rather than just going to leech, but that's another topic entirely.

[Image: 2hyffgw.png]
08-09-2013 08:26 PM
Session Offline
Formerly known as Tak.

While I agree it'd be nice for transfers, we could just use a mailing system for that. I've been on servers with it, and its nice. If a "universal" kafra could be setup using guild storage as a baseline for coding, then a set of checks + passwording to "link" accounts together, that'd be even nicer.

Although a simple drag and drop one item at a time mailing system would be easy and such, it wouldn't be optimal. It takes time when you want to transfer a full character (or roster if you plan on playing that account as a whole) worth of gear.

Not having dual clienting/botting is a significant part of HeRo. If it turns you off from the server that bad, this isn't the server for you. However you should play for a while and adapt, seeing as you like the other features. You'd be surprised how being spoiled can take away from some of the other experiences in the game.

I agree with Deviluke on the latter point, in that HeRo should be the server that takes one way and adapts it to it's own way. Rather than making it possible for one person to do everything themselves, why not incentivize it for the entire party? Outside of alliances, friends, guilds, or just helpful people, theres no reason (Unless you pay them) for people to stand around for mass brewing. Its one of those game mechanics that really offers nothing outside of the brewer gaining points, sales if the results are sold, and being present to contribute to your guild or affiliation.

It'd be cool if there was a way to determine the more "helpful" heroes. Without it becoming a popularity contest or some exploited function. Thinking

My Shop/Buylist- Angel's Branch of HeRo
http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=23468

Ign:
High Priest- Akharamizu-Leader of Transcension
Assassin Cross- DownfallenAngel
High Wizard- Session
To-Be SinX2- Tithe
Rogue- Anzkhel
Errende- Hunter
Gunslinger- Ancele
Soullinker- Jonag

I used to have a comment here. I still do, but I used to do, too.
08-09-2013 09:09 PM
ghaleoneternal Offline
Hero of Justice

The only reasons I support dual clienting are transferring items and the potential in the brewing/crafting area, though I don't have much experience with this and have never made an alchemist.

I love the idea of a mailing system because it only adds positive effect to the community. It makes transferring items across accounts much, much easier and this is something I'm interested in.

Taluden - 7x Lord Knight (SP)
Ebony 'Dong' Twilight - 8x High Priest (FS/ME)
Atacca - 8x Hunter (AS)
Hazamalol - 7x Assassin (DD)
08-10-2013 12:31 PM
Seth~ Offline
Half-ling Assasin

-for transfer I vend, not advised by GM's
-brewing(dont craft) I hire ppl in real and on heRO to assist

transferring items via a mailing system would be nice.

most wanted buying list
http://pandoraonline.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=19956
08-11-2013 04:11 AM
Vinara Offline

RE:??Dual client

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with dual clienting, but since it already came up here: could one of the GMs please say something about the xfering-gear-topic?
How are you supposed to xfer your gear if vending for example is "not advised by GMs"? I think it's a bigger risk to just have a random person you don't know xfer your things, because even if you're able to get them back if they keep them I guess it would take ages (I might be wrong, since it luckily never happened to me, but then again i don't usually take this risk..)
It would be a good thing to at least have the mailing system, but it would still be exhausting to send your gear one by one. Is there no other solution to this problem?
Based on the other posts I am not the only one who is annoyed by this, so I'd really appreciate an answer Icon_wink Like, will we get the mailing system? Something better? Nothing?

My opinion may have changed, but not the fact that I'm right. Icon_razz
~ Vinara ~ Parapluie ~ Koyu ~ Pania ~ Venin ~ Veila ~ Ceryni ~
08-18-2013 04:31 PM
Nachi Offline

They said they don't want to add the mailing system because it was bugged or something.
But as Session suggested, if the guild storage system ends up working fine, making combined storages for people's accounts should also be possible. It sounds like a nice idea.
08-18-2013 06:34 PM
GM-Rahice Offline
The Malevolent Queen Maleficent

Since it is offtopic, normally we wouldn't comment on the matter at hand because.. it's offtopic Icon_razz

We don't advise using Drop-Transfer, Unknown Person Transfer, or Vending Transfer. I think it's pretty much common sense as to why we would not advise them..

Drop Transfer. This has a huge risk, someone can walk by and pick them up. Your internet could go out and lose them all forever. Someone's pet could devour it..

Unknown Person Transfer. You don't know if people are going to take your items. If you were going to do this, protect yourself as much as possible by asking them to transfer, screen their agreement. Screen the actual trade. Screen you telling them who to give it to. If they poof on you, ask for them on main, screenie it. Send everything to a GM in a Support Ticket if they don't show. It can take time to get the items back, yes. Because we have to dig through logs, which record every item of every player, from every monster.. You get the idea. It takes a little time, and not guaranteed.

Vending Transfer. Someone can find your shop, buy all the items and refuse to give them back to you.

Mailing system is bugged, badly. It isn't going to be used unless it's eventually fixed. I don't think people would like something where stuff can get lost easily.

Some of this has been discussed on the forums previously, they're just buried in the mass of randomness.

[Image: Rahice.gif]
Thank you Ren for the Signature!
08-18-2013 06:42 PM