Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Player's Guide to Ragnarok
Adrillf Offline
Google Me

New Player's Guide to Ragnarok

After playing this amazing game for such a long time, I thought I?d give my hand at trying to write a guide for more than just guildies and friends, and try to help those who really need a guide for this game, the brand new players. If this is your first time on a ragnarok server, and you?ve never touched the game before hopefully this guide will help.??What I?m going to go over are a few basics that don?t get covered that well in your introduction to the game, and I think could help out in understanding what it is that you?ve gotten yourself into.

If you are looking for a leveling guide, or a quest guide, please visit the amazing guides that we have in this section because this is not what you are looking for. This is the basics of basics to help out the new players. Note that a lot of what I say is opinion, some of my baias is obvious when talking about classes, I try to keep it to a minimum.

Here?s what?s going to be in this guide-

1- RO shortcuts and interface tools

2- Items and NPC?s you need

3- Class Overviews
a. Swordman classes
i. Knight
ii. Crusader
b. Mage classes
i. Wizard
ii. Sage
c. Merchant classes
i. Blacksmith
ii. Alchemist
d. Acolyte classes
i. Priest
ii. Monk
e. Thief classes
i. Assassin
ii. Rogue
f. Archer classes
i. Hunter
ii. Bard or Dancer
g. Others

4- Wrap Up
09-17-2013 02:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Adrillf Offline
Google Me

RE: New Player's Guide to Ragnarok

1- RO Shortcuts and Interface Tools

This game is old, but it has a lot of tools and shortcuts for you to use and can help speed up the game when you?re playing. There are a few essential ones that will help you learn the game and help you transition into the game like a pro.

The first group of shortcuts we?re going to go into is your keyboard shortcuts. Some of these windows can be pulled up without these shortcuts, but quite a few of them can only be pulled up through the keyboard shortcuts. I?m going to start at the top of the keyboard and work from there.
Alt+ 1-0 = These shortcuts can be changed to whatever you want them through the use of alt+m. Personally I like having @main off, @main on, and /bm as part of these, but that is up to you. In parties later on if there?s a phrase that you need to constantly say like, ?SP Please? you can hotkey it into these shortcuts so that whenever you?re short on SP you can just hit alt+3 (or wherever you have it set to)
Alt+ Q = This brings up your equipment and the gear that you currently have on. To take anything off, you need to double click it, and it?ll go into your inventory. You can also drag it off of your character and into your equipment window if you have that open.
Alt+E= This brings up your backpack or held equipment. It has three tabs on it and is broken into item, equip, and etc.
Alt+Y= This brings up your command list, each of these changes the game and how you interact with it. It?s a crazy list, but luckily for you, if you scroll over them you can see a small highlighted window of what they do when they are on/off. By using things like /bm and /q1 /q2 and /q3 you can really start to use your entire keyboard and mouse to use items and skills.
Alt+U= This brings up a quest list, but I?ve never really seen it work, or in use. It never quite has all of your quests on it, and sometimes the information on it is wrong, or not translated right.
Alt+I= This changes your interaction with your friends list and how you receive messages from them.
Alt+O= This changes the sound settings within the game. It?s up to you on how loud or soft you want the BGM and sound effects, so play with the sliders and see. Not only does it do that, but it also covers settings like noctrl (which allows you to continually autoattack without having to hit control first) as well as your mouse snap options. Mouse snapping is a form of assisted targeting, where you don?t have to be exactly on the target, but just near them and your pointer will snap to where it needs to be.
Alt+P= This is your party set up window. If your party is in range of each other (everyone within 10 levels of each other) you can share exp, and even if you?re not you can share the drops and they will be randomly distributed to your team.
Alt+A= Attributes window. If you ever need to see your base scores, your attack or whatever else it is that you?re looking for. Just know that for a new player to be very cautious with distributing your attributes. Luckily for you on heRO you can reset your scores (for a price) but be very careful with handing stats out because they can make or break your character.
Alt+S = Skills window. All of your skills that you can have, or do have, are in this one.
Alt+G= Guild window. If you?ve been invited to a guild, this is how you see who is online, and what is going on with your guild.
Alt+H= Friends window. If you ever run into a person that?s helpful or a great party member, friend them and you can see if they?re online through this window.
Alt+L= emoticon list. You can put these in your alt+m list, or you can type them in normal chat, and the bubble emotion will show up above your head.
Alt+Z= party member list. Where alt+p brings up party options, this brings up the people that are actually in your party. If you are playing certain classes, you can use this window to target your party members, instead of trying to mouse over them while they run around in mobs and the chaos that is a good party.
Alt+X= exit window. You can change characters or exit through this list. If you are playing on the no death client, this is the only way that you can respawn on death.
Alt+C= Chat room creation. You can name the room, set the people limit, and even put a password on it if you want.
Alt+V= This command expands or contracts your information. I?d suggest keeping it compressed to allow for more screen space, but it?s up to you.

There are a few ctrl commands that you can know as well
Ctrl+- = Scissors (or a peace sign)
Ctrl+= = Rock (fist pump)
Ctrl+\ = Paper (high five)
Ctrl+`= world map, but no dungeon maps
Ctrl+tab = makes the mini map more or less visible.
That covers a lot of the keyboard shortcuts, and now we get to move onto the typed commands that you can use while in heRO. If you ever forget them, or need a refresher on what they are just type in @commands for all of your @ commands or /help for a lot of your / commands. The / commands have good descriptions as to what they do, but the @ commands just have a list, so I?m going to go into the @commands to try to help you out in using them.

@who (Character?s name) ? This is a way to see if someone is online. If you want to know if someone is online, you just type in this command and you can see if they?re online.
@who2 (character?s name) ? This command gives you more information about the person you searched. Their level and their job.
@pettalk (what you want your pet to say) ? make your pet talk for you
@autoloot (number between 0-100) ? this sets your loot to gather everything UNDER that number when it drops. For example if something drops at 60% of the time, you?re going to want to use @autoloot 60. If you use @autoloot 59, any time it drops or anything that drops more than 59% of the time will fall on the ground and you won?t automatically pick it up into your inventory.
@mi @mobinfo @monsterinfo (monster name or ID number)- gives you all of the information you ever wanted about that mob including their stats, their element, their size, and even their loot.
@whodrops (item name) ? great thing when trying to hunt down items. The only down side is that it only shows you the top 5 monsters that drop that item. It gives you a starting point, but not the full picture.
@me (emotion) ? allows you to ?role play? an action or command that your character does.
@showexp (on/off) ? turns the exp gain on/off in your chat window. Sometimes when you?re grinding you don?t want to see these numbers so it help to turn it off.
@duel (character name)- starts a duel
@accept ? accepts a duel
@reject ? rejects a duel
@ws @whosell @whosells (item name or ID number)- tells you which other player is selling a specific item, how much it will cost you, and where to find the shop that is selling it.
@main (chatter)- This is the way to chat with the entire server. No matter where you are at in the game, @main will get to you. Luckily you can use ?@main off? to stop the chatter, but if you ever miss the rest of us, just use ?@main on? and we?ll be back in your head.

There?s only one last group that you need to know, and that?s how to change who you?re talking to. All of these are global chat options, and you?ll be able to hear them no matter where you are in the game.

Ways to use guild chat-
/gc (message)
$ (message)
Or just click the first button on the bottom right corner of your chat interface and click on Send to Guild and everything you type will go to guild.

Ways to use party chat-
/pc (message)
% (message)
Or just click the first button on the bottom right corner of your chat interface and click on Send to Party and everything you type will go to party.

Whispers
To whisper someone you need to type in their name in the first smaller box of your chat screen and then write whatever message you need to write them on the normal text section. There are a few tricks to writing people?s names because sometimes it?s hard to type a long name, or a name who uses capital I?s to double as lower case L?s. The first trick is clicking on the person?s name in the actual chat if they have spoken on @main or in general chat. This adds them to a list of recent contacts and when you?re in the small box you can use your up and down arrows to change who you are inviting. This way if you see a party organizing all you have to do is click on the leader?s name from their @main add, press up, and their name should automatically be added into the whisper box.

Last but certainly not least- the command /bm or /battlemode.
When first playing the game, and your first job, and even into your 60?s or 70?s you can play with one bar of skills and just use the f1-9 keys to use your set up keys. However, there will be a time where you want to be able to swap your gear, use items, and use more than 9 total skills, and you?ll have to learn battle mode. Battle mode turns your three rows of letters on your keyboard into hotkeys for skills, items, or gears. Right now in row 1 is z-. ; row 2 is q-o; row 3 is a-l. In an upcoming patch you?ll be able to set up your own hotkeys in your own battle mode. While in battle mode, you can not type (because typing might trigger three skills, use up a few pots or port you to weird locations) so if you want to type, hit the space bar first, and then type what you want. This starts a very bad habit for a lot of RO players because any time they want to type they first hit the space bar, which results in an extra space before what they say in other chat programs. It isn?t super noticeable, but a lot of players that use /bm do this.
09-17-2013 02:24 AM
Adrillf Offline
Google Me

2- Items and NPC?s you need

Within this confusing, massive game, there are things that can make your life a million times easier, but if you don?t know what they are, you?ll find out about them too late and hate yourself for doing anything without them. In this shorter section we?re going to go over some basic items and basic NPC?s that will save your skin more times than you want to count. I?ll go over items first, and then move onto the NPC?s.

Fly wings- These black splotches that can be bought from a bunch of basic venders randomly teleport you to anywhere on the map that you are currently on. This might not sound that great, but there are a few things to notice within this game. First- some maps are HUGE, and to walk them from end to end takes a very long time, so if you want to speed up your travel, carry a few dozen fly wings and jump around a map until you?re significantly closer to where you want to be and then walk. It?ll cut down on your travel time which means you can get to your leveling and zenny farming faster. Second- as long as you?re not casting a spell, you can use flywings at any time (except for some very specific maps) which allows you to run away from harry situations. When a death costs you 1%, and the travel time it takes to get back to your map, a fly wing can get you out of almost dying, heal back up, and head back in to try to keep doing what you were doing. Using a f-wing also allows you the same immunity as when you walk through a portal from one map to another. There?s a three second window after you walk through a warp portal, or use a f-wing, that as long as you don?t move or act monsters don?t see you. This way you can jump around, and if you jump into a harry situation you don?t have to worry about instantly getting killed.

Butterfly wings- Anytime that you leave a town, have one of these on you. These wings send you back to your home town no matter what. After you?ve gathered your items, grinded out your next 30%, or you?re overweight and can?t carry any more loot, use a butterfly wing to go home without having to die and lose 1% of your exp. There is rarely a time when you wouldn?t want to have a b-wing in your inventory.

Important NPC?s.

Kafra (Cool Event Corp) NPC?s. These NPC?s are in every town and do a few great things. They save that town as your respawn and butterfly wing home town and they open up your storage. Storage is one of the most awesome things in the game. Use it frequently and stuff everything in it. There are an overwhelming amount of quests as part of this game, and 99% of them are fetch quests, so the more random junk you have in your storage the more likely you are to be prepared for when the NPC starts begging you for green herbs, ice hearts, stems, hammers, or whatever else it is that they want from you. In general, be very careful when selling anything from storage, because nothing will make you as upset as you will be when as a level 20 newbie you got a peco peco egg card, saw that it sells for 10z on the market, and so you sold it to an NPC only later to find out it?s about a million (literally) times worth that. The last thing that Kafra can do is warp you to nearby towns. They can not send you to every single town, but they can get you close to nearby towns and occasionally nearby dungeons. You might have to pay a bit of money, but they cut down on walking time, and that?s a big thing.

Healer NPC- She heals you! Use her. She?s cheaper than using pots, and more efficient than just sitting around waiting for your natural regen to fix it. The cost is minimal, and helps you get back out into the world to kill things.

Brother sister warp duo. These two are special just for heRO. Every town and every dungeon worth mentioning, have a duo waiting in them for you to unlock. They cost money to unlock the location (the more dangerous or rare the location, the more zenny it?ll cost) but once unlocked, you can warp to that location from any brother sister duo in the game.

Along these lines it's also important to know that heRO has a custom quest for new players that helps you unlock a lot of the major towns. Speak with the warp sister in Prontera to start this quest, and you'll be introduced to the game as well as a few of the customs that we have here.

There are other NPC?s in towns and fun things that you can play with, but these are the ones that I think are the most underused, and can change your early introduction into the game.
09-17-2013 02:28 AM
Adrillf Offline
Google Me

Class Overview
Your class changes how you play this game. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses and its own style of play. Be aware that an assassin doesn?t play anything like a priest and they play nothing like a wizard. For the sake of this guide, I?m going to go over these classes in a brief overview first, and then go further into them each in their own section.

One thing to notice is that you have 12 character slots when creating your character. As a new player you?re going to have 2-3 characters first. (Yes, you?re going to need 2-3 characters to play this game if you want it to work out the best for you) When creating your first character, find one that matches what you play like. No matter what other people might say, play what you find to be the best fit to you. This is where the strong majority of your play is going to be put. Any time that you?re online, log onto your main character.

Your second character is going to be your OC/DC character. Even if you hate merchant classes, don?t like how they work, or what they do, get one up to job level 30-ish so that you can get max level overcharge and discount. Once you throw things in storage, sell them on your merchant, and if you need to buy f-wings or anything else like that in bulk, put them on here. It might be only a few hundred zenny you?re saving by doing this, but it?ll make a difference in the long run.

Your third optional character is your farmer. As stated earlier this game has a lot of quests and they?re all fetch quests which means you get sent out by an NPC to gather up a certain amount of items. There are some classes which are naturally not the best farmers, and others which are great farmers. If your main character is not a great farmer, your third character is going to be a farmer so that when you run into these quests you can swap over to a better farmer, get the items quickly, and move on. Until you?ve finished your main character (transcended and are 89+) these three characters are all that you need, and really you only need to focus on the first one. Do not split your time between multiple characters, only bad things will happen. It?s a long trip to max level, so do the trip on one character first just so you know what you?re in for the rest of them.

Now for the quick covering of classes. These are generic understandings of each class, and of course there?s always going to be that person who can prove you wrong by saying that they took a support class and turned them into a great damage class, but those are the exception to the rule. Your basic classes are; knight, crusader, wizard, sage, blacksmith, alchemist, priest, monk, assassin, rogue, hunter, bard/dancer.

Knights are your basic hack and slash tanks. Their focus is to take one weapon and smash it into the monster as hard as possible. They do have a bit of tanking and luring abilities, but the majority of their skills point them to being melee damage dealers.

Crusaders are the tanky brothers of knights. They can still use the weapons and hit things, but their skills lean them much towards standing and laughing while people try to kill them. Crusaders can?t do much damage but they can dodge, deflect, and tank more damage than any other class in the game.

Wizards specialize in area of effect (AoE) elemental damage. They have some of the most damaging spells in the game and for a lot of parties are the main source of damage because they can sit back and nuke a large group of monsters all at once with one spell.

Sages are the support mage and anti-mage. They are able to cancel spells, negate AoE spells, negate single target spells, strengthen AoE spells, and shine in late game as the only class that can supply SP to allies without wasting serious amounts of consumables.

Blacksmiths are strong single target hitters that can hit like a truck for the cost of zenny or they can even forge weapons to fight with or sell.

Alchemists are able to summon plants, trees, and even their homunculus to fight for them while providing some strong damage as well, or they can brew potions for use or sell.

Priests are the healers of the game. They are able to buff, heal, and protect their friends and even curse their enemies with taking double damage. They can?t do much damage themselves, but there isn?t a single party in existence that does not have a priest as part of it.

Monks are the glass cannons of the game. They are able to solo some of the boss monsters in the game, and can deal massive spikes of damage.

Assassins do exactly what their name implies, the lurk around and kill things from the shadows. They have the ability to strike an opponent with a furry of blows or even hit them long distance while hidden.

Where assassins fail at thievery, rogues shine. They are able to steal zenny, items, and even skills. Their most devastating skill is able to remove the gear that their opponent is wearing. It?s a lot easier to kill a crusader if you can force him not to wear his armor, shield, boots, or helmet.

Hunters are your long distance bow users. They take down single targets from a distance with little to no risk to themselves. They are able to use traps and their pet bird to help them out, but the majority of their skill comes with staying out of the reach of monsters and killing the monster before they get hurt.

Bards and dancers are the only class that depends on which gender you are. If you are a male sprite you can only become a bard, and if you?re a female sprite you can only become a dancer. These are support characters that use music to affect the fight and can even team up together and do duets that create even stronger effects. Bards and dancers are strong supporters in any party setting.

There are other specialty classes like Ninja, Gunslinger, Super Novices, and Taekwons, but I?ll go over those in the last section.

Now it?s time to go into more depth about each class and what they are able to do and how you should use them.

Knight-

As I said in the short description of the classes, these are the hack and slash heroes of the game. They are tanky to a point, but they really spend most of their time killing monsters. If not your first character knights can work as farming character, but they do take a bit more gear and items to be as productive as other farmers. Their strongest attack is bowling bash. An important part to remember with bowling bash is that it affects an area, so you are able to grab a group of monsters into a stack, and then bowling bash all of them with one skill. This will allow you to solo for quite a few levels and even until you need to transcend, but you can also run parties if you would like

Be prepared as a knight in a party, to act as the tank/lure. If a crusader is not around, you can double as a mob creator. When doing this bring armor and reduction gears so that you don?t take as much damage, hop on your peco, and run around grabbing the attention of as many monsters as possible to drag back to the party. If you are doing this bring f-wings in case the mobs get too big and you need to get out of the way. It?s much better for you to f-wing away and bring in a manageable mob, than it is to die away from your party, leaving them without a tank.

Crusader-

Your strength resides in tanking and being as fat as possible. Your goal is to be tankier and harder to damage than some boss monsters. After you get your first few levels into crusader, start organizing parties. When mobbing for parties, be aware of what your party is able to handle. You have the very possible strength of being able to create mobs that can wipe out parties. What might hardly tickle you, can wipe out those people you?re with in a heartbeat if you are not careful. There is a time and a place to pull the entire map onto your party, but you have to know if your party can handle it.

You won?t be bringing out the most damage or kills, but your goal is to stay alive long enough while everything else is trying to kill you. There are builds in which you can deal significant damage, but as stated before, these are the exception to the rule, and not the typical build.

Wizard-

You are the nuke of the game. You can dish out damage, freeze opponents, and slow everything to a crawl, but it comes at the cost of being squishy. You might be able to catch a monster in your spell and kill it, but if you cast too slow, are out of position, or if anything goes wrong, that monster will tear your face apart in half a second.

There are two builds with wizards, dex heavy or int heavy. Dex heavy wizards are more for people who like to solo, while int heavy wizards need more support so they?re typically in parties. The major skills that you need as a wizard, no matter what your build are storm gust and quagmire. Personally I would suggest avoiding LoV because the damage output is poor compared to SG, but there seems to be a recent trend in organizing ice dungeon parties, so it?s your call.

Sage-

Your non-trans life is going to be a suffer. You are one of those characters that are decent before you transcend, but once you transcend and gain the ability to swap SP and health convert, every party will want you. Finding a party before you are transcended is going to be hard, and transcending is difficult, but from a person who mains a professor and has two of them, it?s worth it. A support sage and ultimately a support professor is a nightmare to deal with against all classes. They can?t burst an enemy down but they sure can dispel, cancel, and make your life a horrible place.
There is one, and only one hope for your sage life, and that is being a dispel slave in dimensional gorge. Stock up on yellow gems, and pray that a professor doesn?t steal your spot. All you need to do is occasionally dispel monsters that are strong, and not die, and you?ll gain exp.
If you?re not patient, and especially if this is your first grind heavy role playing game, do not pick this class as your starting character. You will hate it.

Blacksmith-

This class as well as alchemist are part of your OC/DC sub characters. Either one can be used as your character that will reduce prices, as well as make more money. These classes can (and should) also be used as your fisher and miner (custom quests on heRO) slaves because they can carry an excessive amount of weight thanks to their cart (which can be accessed with alt+W) which adds a few thousand extra weight that you can carry with no worries.

As a blacksmith you?re going to be a solo player. There aren?t many parties that need a blacksmith. You?re also going to need a lot of zenny. Blacksmiths eat through zenny, and their transcended versions of them use up even more. It is very, very possible for a white smith to use a million zenny in under an hour if they are actively using their strongest skills. From this, you?re going to have to make sure to keep a good pulse on the market. If you?re going to be a good blacksmith, you need to know what is selling for a good amount of money, and when to sell it because you?re going to need the money.

The good news is that your power comes in buffing yourself and being able to dish out single target melee hurt to a lot of opponents. You don?t have much to offer to a team, but you should have no problem farming single monster kills and surviving it all.

Alchemist-

As blacksmiths, you have a cart and can be the OC/DC slave as well.

A warning about alchemists, and even creators the transcended versions- you will farm a ridiculous amount of materials. The majority of your skills, and especially your powerful skills that you?re going to want to use often, require materials to use. Ragnarok has balanced your power and strength by putting in a strong item and time restriction into your gameplay. You can deal a lot of damage, and you can really put the hurt out, but if you don?t have the time to grind for the items, or the zenny to buy them off of the market, you can?t play this class the way it was intended to.

With that said, you have as an alchemist a great strength in your hands. You are able to create and bring monsters with you to battle. You never fight alone, and if your monsters or your homunculus dies, you just bring them back. As an alchemist you don?t have the super damage spell called Acid Demonstration, but you still have heavy hitting skills, and as long as you spend at least some time with your homunculus as an alchemist it will make leveling as a creator a million times easier. When you trans and restart at level 1, your homunculus stays at the same level. That means that although you might be level 50, your homunc is still level 90 and ready to kick butt.

Priest-

You are the loved and cherished support class. You can?t do much damage (again, there are some exceptions to this rule, but in general, it?s the rule) but you can keep people alive, heal them, protect them, and even bring them back from the dead. For the most part you need to find parties to level, especially at the higher levels. If you can not find a party, you can always heal the undead. An undead monster, when healed gets hurt, so can heal them to kill them. A cheap way to level is to get turn undead, go to Anubis and teleport while one shot killing them with that skill.

A major bonus to priest and monks is that you have teleport as a skill. You don?t need (but still should) carry fly wings or butterfly wings because you can teleport around the map, or home if needed.

Monk-

Monks have one build, asura. There are some that will try to build into combo, or even steel body monks, but when compared against an asura monk, there is no competition. There has never been a combo monk that has made an impact worth mentioning, and steel body monks seem more of a joke than a tanky presence.

Just like the alchemist, be warned that while playing a monk you?re going to need to farm. Asura eats up all of your SP, yes all of it. But in return deals a massive spike of damage. To do it right you need to have a lot of SP recovery items (fish work the best on this server) as well as some very specific (and therefore expensive because all monks want them) gears. You?re either going to need to farm them yourself or buy them, either way expect time or zenny to be spent on your monk if you want to be the threat they can be.

Monks in parties really depend on what you are killing. In the majority of parties monks are not welcome. You can get more per hour on your own, and kill stronger things than the party, so don?t slow them down. High end boss parties will use you, but generic leveling parties, for the most part, won?t. As part of this, make friends with a professor. They will be able to fill your SP bar to full whenever you asura. It?s a nightmare for the professor to try to keep up, but it allows you to run around and spam asura wherever you want, so it?s worth it.

Assassin-

When I talked about farmer characters before, this is one of the easier farmable characters in the game. To make an assassin all you need is a katar, cloak, hide and grimtooth. From this you?re able to stack your own mobs and kill them with little to no risk to yourself. You can farm up a strom on these guys and it goes faster than partying and you get more money from it. The power of an assassin farming is a scary thing, and they can mob entire maps worth of monsters without taking a point of damage, and then grimtooth them to death. The only thing you need to learn is how to stack a mob, which is easy. Run in a straight line while visible and then cloak. Once cloaked move five or six cells away from where you were and quickly uncloak and cloak back. All of the mob will run towards you and SHOULD stack onto one cell making it look like one monster instead of 20+. If it doesn?t work the first time, do it again, and it will work that time. Just remember that you can equip a status arrow when you grimtooth mob. It won?t use up the arrow so you only need one, and I suggest a stun arrow for low vit mobs and a curse arrow for others. That way when you grimtooth they?ll stay in one place if you?re not able to stun lock them into submission.
Partying as an assassin is a stupid thing. You can get faster levels and more money through soloing, so don?t worry about partying.
Builds for assassins, especially new players is exactly what I just told you. Once you transcend, get gears, and really like playing an assassin you can try different builds, but please, for the love of everything, never play a crit based assassin. They don?t work on this server, they?re not deadly, and really they?re sort of a joke.

Rogue-

These guys shine in player versus player combat. If you want to be one of the most annoying classes, without having to farm that hard for items or gears to be that annoying, this is the class for you. The ability to strip equipment off of other players is ridiculously strong, and frustrating without end. The best part about it? The only way to counter it is to make alchemists farm even more items to protect themselves and their allies. That?s right, the one class that has to farm for everything that they do, you make them farm even more, just to counter you.

A great way for leveling is to act like a hunter and a knight rolled together. You?re able to use a bow and copy bowling bash from a knight, so your bow skills start to get really dangerous. They might not be up on par with the double strafe spamming of a hunter, but it?s a nasty combo.

The hardest part about a rogue is that for as awesome as they are, and as annoying as they can be, they?re a pain in the neck to level. Where other classes are either great in parties, or great solo, rogues sort of hit a middle ground with everything. They?re not horrible in parties, but they don?t really serve the best role in a party, and solo they?re not the most efficient, but they?re not the worst. They can be your farming alternate thanks to autosteal in their auto attacks, but it?s not as good as some of the other farming characters.

Rogues, and especially stalkers, can do great things, it?s just difficult to get them to the point where they can do them, because leveling up is a bit slower for them.

Hunter-

This is easy mode in my book. Hunters stack two stats, dex and agi, and use one skill for everything- double strafe. The bird, the traps, and all of the other skills don?t really hold a light to a hunter who is at full SP, using the right element of arrow against a monster and just spamming DS over and over again. They farm ridiculously fast because they are able to take out high level monsters from a distance through properly gearing and using common sense (don?t use fire arrows against fire monsters, don?t let the big fire birds get close enough to breath fire on you, etc).

These are another great class as an alternate for your main character if your main is not a farming class. They are relatively easy to gear, their lower tier items are cheap but increase their damage output by a lot, and they?re even useful in some parties where there are occasional monsters immune to magic.

The biggest problem with hunters is their SP pool, and the boring factor. While spamming DS you eat up your manna quite fast, so be prepared to b-wing home often for a heal, or to bring lots of SP regen with you so you aren?t stuck with your measily auto attack. And be warned now, unlike the rest of the characters that have to use battlemode because they?re going to have more than 9 things they?re going to want to do, you have maybe four skills as a hunter that you?re going to use, and then your other five hotkeys can be for different arrow types and sp regeneration. It?s simple, and that gets boring fast when you?re trying to grind out levels and gears.

Bard-

When you play bard every wizard will be happy to see you. Good wizards will be even happier that you read this and you know the secret to amazing bard play. The first thing is weapon swapping out of songs. If you want to flash a song quickly put on your instrument, and then use your hotkeys to swap to a weapon (a simple light weight dagger is usually the go to because you don?t actually fight with it). This allows you to flash songs, and keep moving, or even flash multiple songs at once.

When leveling your bard don?t worry too much about your dex. Between your innate archer abilities like attention concentrate, the music lesson skill, bless from priests (because you?re usually going to be in a party with them) and your job bonus, you?ll have enough dex for bragi to reduce cast times a noticeable amount. The one that spell casters will be shocked at is if you put a few dozen points into int. Where dex reduces the cast time in bragi, int reduces the cool down, and that means more spells, which means more fun for spell casters.

As a bard, you?re always going to have a party. Find any level wizard that is in range, and ask them if they want a party, and they will say yes. It doesn?t matter where they want to go, or what their plans were earlier, if you are willing to play bragi anywhere near them, a wizard will follow you to the end of the world. The only down side is that you are a bragi slave. While leveling, you?ll get to see dungeons and fun monsters will be dragged to you, but your job is to hit the bragi hotkey, and if the party moves, drop bragi and once they stop, put bragi back up again. It follows the hunter?s motto that if it?s good enough once, you better do it more, but instead of damage, it?s a support skill.

Dancers-

Dancers are a weird class in my mind. They have some things that they can be great as, but I don?t see them as that great of a support class, or that great of an active role class. Their SP regeneration song is good enough to make new wizards happy that they won?t run out of manna, but for the aggressive SP users like hunters and monks, dancers really can?t SP battery effectively for them. Their other songs have uses, but I?ve never been convinced that a dancer is the solution that I want for a party.
The only time that dancers really shine is when they are paired up with a bard and they play duets. Loki?s veil is a powerful tool in player versus player, and even when leveling a duet like Mr. Kim?s can bring a leveling party to tears with the extra exp it brings in. This is my one weak point in this guide because the other classes I try to give you a pros and cons to each class, but with dancer I can only think of cons because I?ve never met a dancer that was just amazing at partying or soloing, and it always feels like I?m leeching dancers just so someone can use them in a pvp setting later on.

The other classes

There are other classes than these on the server. We have gunslingers, ninjas, taekwons, star gladiators, soul linkers, super novices, and baby versions of everything. As a new player, do not play any of them. Get it out of your head that a gun slinger must be better than a person who uses a bow, because they?re not, a hunter can stomp a gunslinger, and especially the fact that as a hunter you can transcend and become even more powerful as a sniper, while a slinger is stuck with only one leveling path. These other options have their moments and their places within the game, however, as a new player you do not need to worry about them, play them, or even think about touching them because you need to have your main character finished before working on them. Even with the significant buffs that heRO has given these classes through items and customization to the classes themselves, do not play these as they are all niche characters that fill very specific, very limited, roles within the game.
09-17-2013 02:32 AM
Adrillf Offline
Google Me

4- Wrap up

Whew!
Made it!

If you have any questions about any of these things, feel free to write them in this thread or try to find me in game. If you have any improvements on something I missed, feel free to correct me and add to this guide to help out those new players. Admittedly merchant and swordsmen are my weaker areas of the game, and dancers I just never really was impressed by unless ran by a GM with broken stats, so any improvements or comments on those areas are appreciated.

Thank you for reading this, and especially thank you to all of those players that dealt with me while I was the newbie who didn?t know the difference between alchemist and blacksmith and were patient enough to teach me some of these things. Shout outs to Team Awesome as well as the old Behemoth groups!
09-17-2013 02:34 AM
iMilo Offline

Very nice Icon_biggrin
Thx Adrillf..
09-17-2013 03:24 AM
GM-Pandora Offline
Admin Extraordinaire

Really nice guide, kudos.

~ Server Admin ~
Vote daily to help us grow!
Review us on RateMyServer every 6 months!
Have a problem? Use the Support Ticket System!
Join the Test&Dev team to help out!
09-17-2013 11:31 AM
myBlack_isWhite Offline

RE:??New Player's Guide to Ragnarok

Wow, u did great job by making this guide.Icon_wink
Although, i'd like to add some things from myself.

Adrillf Wrote:Dancers-

Dancers are a weird class in my mind. They have some things that they can be great as, but I don?t see them as that great of a support class, or that great of an active role class.
The only time that dancers really shine is when they are paired up with a bard and they play duets.

Guess u've never been at Nydd, SM-killing or any other asura-needed party. Besides, Dancer works bad as SP batt only for champs and FA/SS spaming snipers. All other classes works perfect. But anyway, the main purpose of dancer isn't SP battery, but max SP increasing and cuz of that even profs will love dancers since they won't need to refill sniper's (or snipers') SP that often. Just because it also increases SP recovery speed it also works good as SP battery.
Speaking about PVP their screaming ability which is stuning low vit enemies is rly usefull, especialy being spamed from bragi.

Adrillf Wrote:Bard-

If you want to flash a song quickly put on your instrument, and then use your hotkeys to swap to a weapon (a simple light weight dagger is usually the go to because you don?t actually fight with it). This allows you to flash songs, and keep moving, or even flash multiple songs at once.

When leveling your bard don?t worry too much about your dex.

1. Just buy 2 violins or any other musical instrument (in amount of two ofcourse), put it on hotkey and u won't meet trouble when u're hitting a Bragi skill button again and again an it doesn't work, then party wipes and only after that u realize that u were wearing dagger.
2. Take as a habbit to count to 20 while u're changing position with the party. After reaching "10" mind to run to wizard, cast bragi at him and then do the same for priest and probably professor. U always have to keep in mind that thing Keeping everyone with bragi effect on them u will help the party to avoid the wipe greatly.
3. Playing as bard u HAVE TO worry about dex. If both of u wizard and bard will have around 80 dex (with bonuses and bless) that will be Ok but still not that good enough to cast fast. Being bard u should care only of 2 stats - dex and int. First, try to reach ~100-120 dex and ~40-60 int. At that point u'll be a good bragi for low/mid lvl parties (i.e. Ice Dungeon) then go for 90-100 int and then max ur stats out. Remeber: ur goal is 150 dex and 120 int (with bonuses from job lvls, gears and buffs of course). On that point u'll be what people call a Golden Bragi.
4. Always stay behind the wizard and don't rush into the battle. Ur role in party is very important and u must do it properly. Always mind to walk around the party members so everyone had bragi effect on them. Killers or other support classes have their own job to do in the party so sometimes they just don't have time or oportunity or simply forget to refresh their bragi effect by coming in and out of the bragi pool. They actually don't have to remember about refreshing bragi effect since that's ur job. In example, if members of the party reminding to their priest about rebuffs then party got sucks priest since it's his job to control the buff time and not to let anyone die. And so ur job is controling bragi.

Lol now it looks more like a mini guide on bragi. But i just wanted to show??that playing as a bard/clown isn't easy how it looks like. But yeah, it's true that playing as wizard or priest is much more harder and requires something more then just swaping 2 violins and counting to 20.

Mr Brightside ~ High Priest 99/70
Mr Darkside ~ Assassin Cross 99/70
Magic Nerd ~ Professor 99/70
Mr Drunkside ~ Champion 98/67
SpeedCrew ~ Sniper 97/67
Pepe Carrero ~ High Wizard 96/67
Jimi Hendrix ~ Clown 95/65
Millionyoung ~ Stalker 95/65
Tony Grey ~ Creator 92/64
Fouk ~ Lord Knight 92/58
Californication ~ Soul Linker 91/50
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2013 03:51 AM by myBlack_isWhite.)
09-18-2013 03:51 AM
Adrillf Offline
Google Me

RE: ??New Player's Guide to Ragnarok

myBlack_isWhite Wrote:Guess u've never been at Nydd, SM-killing or any other asura-needed party. Besides, Dancer works bad as SP batt only for champs and FA/SS spaming snipers. All other classes works perfect. But anyway, the main purpose of dancer isn't SP battery, but max SP increasing and cuz of that even profs will love dancers since they won't need to refill sniper's (or snipers') SP that often. Just because it also increases SP recovery speed it also works good as SP battery.

I'm going to be nice and not get too upset at the phrase that I've never been in an asura cannon party. I have. Dancers aren't that great. They can be helpful, but I'd much rather have a professor and a high priest. Heath convert, heal, and magni do just fine in asura cannoning through dungeons and keeping SP up. Even with increasing SP pools, I don't see dancers causing that big of a influence to make them essential to forming a party.

Quote:Speaking about PVP their screaming ability which is stuning low vit enemies is rly usefull, especialy being spamed from bragi.

I didn't say this because if you're in pvp, and you're talking serious builds in pvp, the only time that you should be stunned is if you're not doing your job right. Every character that wants to be seriously involved in pvp needs vit. Even your precasting HW is going to run 99int 99dex, and the rest in vit. Stunning dancers are threatening to people that don't know how to pvp stat their characters. The only time I've seen stunning dancers do significant stuns are on unprepared characters, much like a bard's frost joke freezing people that are unprepared for it. Yes, it works, and the effect is nice, but it's not going to do much in a serious pvp setting.

Quote:3. Playing as bard u HAVE TO worry about dex. If both of u wizard and bard will have around 80 dex (with bonuses and bless) that will be Ok but still not that good enough to cast fast. Being bard u should care only of 2 stats - dex and int. First, try to reach ~100-120 dex and ~40-60 int. At that point u'll be a good bragi for low/mid lvl parties (i.e. Ice Dungeon) then go for 90-100 int and then max ur stats out. Remeber: ur goal is 150 dex and 120 int (with bonuses from job lvls, gears and buffs of course). On that point u'll be what people call a Golden Bragi.

Oh stat build conversations, how I love you.

For those new players reading this guide, don't worry to much about this. This is a bit over your head as a new player, but I'll dive into this.

I'd suggest a final build of 99 int, 70 vit and then use the other points in dex, agi, or even str for carrying capacity depending on what your style of play. This provides you with a better HP pool, you become stun immune, provides the ability to strengthen your apple song.

The reason I say that after cast delay is more important than cast time is because more than just wizards are going to be using a bragi in a party setting, and a lot of those skills have short cast times (or no cast times) but do have cool downs. If you're able to reduce those cool downs, your supporting cast is able to produce more support and keep everyone alive.

If you then throw in a bard with the outlandishly low dex score of 30 (with a lvl 10 bragi and 10 levels in lesson) that level 10 Storm Gust is cast in 3.67 seconds. Even if you up that bard's dex to 100, the cast time is still 3.2 seconds. That is .47 seconds difference between a 30 dex bragi and a 100 dex bragi. Let's be outrageous and use the golden bragi of 150 dex on the lvl 69 wizard, and the cast time of the storm gust is still only reduced to 2.88 seconds.

In review on a lvl 69 wizard (70 int 70 dex) casting storm gust level 10
Bragi with 30 dex - 3.67 cast time
Bragi with 100 dex- 3.2 cast time
Bragi with 150 dex- 2.88 cast time.

If we put this on the big end game scale, and use these three bragi's on a high wizard that has 99 dex, 99 int, job level 70. The cast times look like this.
Bragi with 30 dex- 1.82
Bragi with 100 dex- 1.6
Bragi with 150 dex- 1.44

This is assuming that the high wizard doesn't use a single point in dex in any other gear and only depend on their stats and a bless from a priest. The difference between the worst possible bragi, and your "golden" bragi is only .38 seconds, a third of a second. Let's assume that the wizard grabs a spare 5 dex from random gears, ToH wing foods, or whatever they have. That'd be a total of 123 dex.

Bragi with 30 dex- 1.53
Bragi with 100 dex- 1.35
Bragi with 150 dex- 1.21

From what math says, and some trial and error with stat calculators, the more dex your wizard has, the less effective a high dex bragi becomes. Even at lower dex levels, the difference between a 'horrible' bragi and the 'golden' bragi is really not that much. That is why I suggest not putting as many points in dex, and to stat your bard into something else that will be a bit more helpful.
09-18-2013 01:13 PM
EggShen Offline

RE:????New Player's Guide to Ragnarok

Nice intro to the different classes.

Let me just clarify some points:
Adrillf Wrote:I'm going to be nice and not get too upset at the phrase that I've never been in an asura cannon party. I have. Dancers aren't that great. They can be helpful, but I'd much rather have a professor and a high priest. Heath convert, heal, and magni do just fine in asura cannoning through dungeons and keeping SP up. Even with increasing SP pools, I don't see dancers causing that big of a influence to make them essential to forming a party.

Asura damage depends on your current SP,
so increasing SP pool = more damage with Asura = win.

Adrillf Wrote:I didn't say this because if you're in pvp, and you're talking serious builds in pvp, the only time that you should be stunned is if you're not doing your job right. Every character that wants to be seriously involved in pvp needs vit. Even your precasting HW is going to run 99int 99dex, and the rest in vit. Stunning dancers are threatening to people that don't know how to pvp stat their characters. The only time I've seen stunning dancers do significant stuns are on unprepared characters, much like a bard's frost joke freezing people that are unprepared for it. Yes, it works, and the effect is nice, but it's not going to do much in a serious pvp setting.
You still get stunned with 25 VIT, dancers are a real threat in pvp, not all pvp builds give you stun immune (far from that).
09-18-2013 01:50 PM