Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Account safety discussion
Story Teller Offline
Passionate Artist

[split] Regarding Account Safety

So to ask proof from a 'Real GM', it always ends up being killed, changing a player into a mushroom or broadcasting that the player is not wearing pants. I give it a thumbs up! No1
06-05-2014 05:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

RE: Regarding Account Safety

These kindsa things should be common sense, but common sense is anything but common I supposed. Still, I can't help wonder what prompted this reminder?

[Image: giphy.gif]
The Oka Compendium
: A glorified record of my alt-a-holic-ism. May or may not be up to date at any given point.
06-05-2014 05:26 PM
Story Teller Offline
Passionate Artist

It's like the real world when someone talks to you on the phone and tells you that your computer has a virus and willingly gave them control to your computer. :D
06-05-2014 09:43 PM
Aeolian Offline
I troll harder. ^_____^

Sooooooooo I got to talk to one of the supposed hackers. I got suspicious when -Blink- (who was not really Blink because he was already hacked at the time) offered me free zipper bear cards. I contacted Benize Shura (who was the REAL Blink at the time) and asked him what happened, as you can see here:

[Image: 2lscgw1.jpg]

And here:

[Image: 2v0fu5h.jpg]

Hacker made a chatroom and invited me in. For investigation's sake, I did so:

[Image: 2nvf5he.jpg]

Apparently he can make it look like you're talking to GMs. Specifically, Pandora at this point. However, Pandora is nowhere near illiterate, as you can see here:

[Image: 313215l.jpg]

Obviously fishing for personal info:

[Image: 1rz2hf.jpg]

Is it possible for them to be able to hack accounts via heRO chatrooms only? This is kinda alarming.

Other notes:
- Apparently someone's bank account was almost stolen from.
- Skype transactions are involved here.
- The hacker seemed to be able to see people via Skype even though their video wasn't online (scary as heck).
- The hacker seems to have the ability to know where people generally are located.

Aeolian (99/69 High priestess) - A helping hand
Aeolia (99/70 Professor) - Let me teach you a lesson
Aeo (99/50 Perma monk) - Aldebaran Battle Maiden
Aella (99/69 Sniper) - Quick and easy
Rhianna (98/69 Gypsy) - Free services in full
Lheanne (96/64 Assassin Cross) - Demanding dominatrix
Rhia (98/65 Creator) - Open to experimentation
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2014 10:54 AM by Aeolian.)
06-06-2014 10:36 AM
Aeolian Offline
I troll harder. ^_____^

If that's the case, it's safe to assume that whatever's happening is happening because of Skype, and not because of some funky in-game chatroom hocus pocus.

Aeolian (99/69 High priestess) - A helping hand
Aeolia (99/70 Professor) - Let me teach you a lesson
Aeo (99/50 Perma monk) - Aldebaran Battle Maiden
Aella (99/69 Sniper) - Quick and easy
Rhianna (98/69 Gypsy) - Free services in full
Lheanne (96/64 Assassin Cross) - Demanding dominatrix
Rhia (98/65 Creator) - Open to experimentation
06-06-2014 11:29 AM
Liminality Offline
Twilight's Transience

Probably. You can't click links in RO (unlike most modern MMOs), but you can in Skype, as well as transfer files. They likely fooled people far enough to get them onto Skype.

^ Concerning your earlier edit, it's hit-or-miss on location. They thought I was from Asia for some reason.

I will be there, seekin' for liminality / no destinations to see, I wander /
in quiet places, so dark as eternity / I'm crying calling your name, I'm searching for you
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2014 11:50 AM by Liminality.)
06-06-2014 11:36 AM
punisouffle Offline

This person also 1:1 me asking if I live in asia; didn't hear about this then, so I replied Icon_razz

Some time later I was ask to come town and into chatroom. Awful Pandora impression, hehe Icon_biggrin

[Image: 76rsymfl.jpg]

Now you mentioned it… the whitespace trick… hn hn
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2014 12:15 PM by punisouffle.)
06-06-2014 12:07 PM
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

If I get asked my age by a "GM", I'm definitely going to falsify info. I'm definitely a 6 year old at heart. It would probably screw him up that I no longer have skype installed on my computer (it eats up way too many resources for some of the other games I play, and it lacks a push to talk feature). Unless it's on the forums, or on support tickets, it should come as strange that they are asking you to use a 3rd party software.

But it looks like they're abusing the tried and true features of GM-Impersonators. assassin's cloaking around (assuming the people in the screen shots that are seen by Maya P are the same dudes trying to scam)

[Image: giphy.gif]
The Oka Compendium
: A glorified record of my alt-a-holic-ism. May or may not be up to date at any given point.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2014 02:48 PM by The Legendary Joe.)
06-06-2014 02:46 PM
Story Teller Offline
Passionate Artist

(06-06-2014 02:46 PM)The Legendary Joe Wrote:  If I get asked my age by a "GM", I'm definitely going to falsify info. I'm definitely a 6 year old at heart. It would probably screw him up that I no longer have skype installed on my computer (it eats up way too many resources for some of the other games I play, and it lacks a push to talk feature). Unless it's on the forums, or on support tickets, it should come as strange that they are asking you to use a 3rd party software.

But it looks like they're abusing the tried and true features of GM-Impersonators. assassin's cloaking around (assuming the people in the screen shots that are seen by Maya P are the same dudes trying to scam)

Amazing what you can do with a frilldora card huh? You can appear from nowhere as a novice and say "Hey guys, I'm a GM! can you please give me your account because I need to check some bug in your gears. LOL" Ok
06-06-2014 03:45 PM
Rankin Offline
Durp

Oh this looks fun.
06-06-2014 05:56 PM