Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Involuntary Hiatus
demishock Offline
Natural Selection

Involuntary Hiatus

Monday night, my laptop finally died, after six years of loyal service. I have no idea when I'll end up with a new one since I'm super picky and only want a laptop, and also hate the crap out of Windows 8, and also money. Any advice anyone has on good (casual) gaming laptops would be hugely appreciated. I'm flying blind right now on account of being in a depressed stupor. T___T What do you all use, those who don't mind sharing?

Anyway, I'm on forced hiatus in the meantime, unfortunately. Still here on the forum via my phone but that's about it for now.

Already miss playing. T___T

To help:
Join Test & Dev and/or our heRO wiki
Apply to be a GM or mod
Vote and Review

For help:
Submit a support ticket
Check the heRO wiki

[Image: 29bnhpd.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 07:35 AM by demishock.)
06-19-2014 07:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mupfelsan Offline
I want you to smile =)

RE: Involuntary Hiatus

Can feel you... My laptop got a defect since 1-2 weeks. Guess i can be happy my laptop is just getting repaired and i don't need a new one. wish i could help you with your choice of the laptop but my heart feels with >.<

[Image: 2995398983_1_3_12TExp4e.gif]

To-Do-List:
1. Don't worry
2. Be Happy !
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 10:22 AM by Mupfelsan.)
06-19-2014 10:21 AM
Liminality Offline
Twilight's Transience

Aw, that sucks. Icon_sad Hope you find a solution soon for your dead laptop.

I don't think I can be of much help on finding a new one though... but good luck!

I will be there, seekin' for liminality / no destinations to see, I wander /
in quiet places, so dark as eternity / I'm crying calling your name, I'm searching for you
06-19-2014 10:22 AM
GM-Rahice Offline
The Malevolent Queen Maleficent

Might not be the best bet, but have you attempted to look at refurbished laptops (from a trusted seller) or having one built for you?

These days most Laptops are sold as 8.0 or 8.1 and they're getting ready to release their new laptops at places such as Walmart, Staples, Best Buy, etc. Because the "Back To School" season is starting to open back up in most of the retail places. You can probably find a "last years" model of something for a better price, or you can shell out a lot of money to get one from this year.

From personal experience, I hate Windows 8 and find it a little annoying to use. I don't know what your range of sale is going to be looking like and if you don't want to share that information I understand completely. However, you are going to find some difficulty getting a laptop for a low price when you go searching with the tag "Gaming" - Do your research on what you want first and look for it w/o stacking that tag on it.

When I bought my last computer I managed to get a gaming computer by merely selecting a few components to put in it, it was less than 600 bucks and these days when I re-priced the same type of computer it was over a grand, but I searched for "Gaming Computers"

[Image: Rahice.gif]
Thank you Ren for the Signature!
06-19-2014 02:11 PM
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

When I bought my laptop, they absolutely refused to give me anything prior to windows 8. I liked windows 7 too, but I guess everything from then is a bit of an Antique nowadays. Perhaps you can search for some Windows 7 OS installation discs and apply it to your new laptop?

In any case, you'd probably have to look online for a seller as they are kind of phasing out it from official retailers. Pray you find one with a valid product registration key that hasn't been used yet~.

[Image: giphy.gif]
The Oka Compendium
: A glorified record of my alt-a-holic-ism. May or may not be up to date at any given point.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 05:45 PM by The Legendary Joe.)
06-19-2014 05:43 PM
demishock Offline
Natural Selection

Thanks for the support/sympathy/advice, guys! I have an ASUS laptop in mind that I think I'm going to try out. I did have to settle for Windows 8.1 but hopefully with Classic Shell it'll be more tolerable. Buying it from a little local place (trying to support local business, w00tw00t), so it's a bit more expensive than it probably ought to be, but they're also offering a bunch of free tech support along with it (including transferring the contents of my old laptop over to it and installing all my programs so I don't have to), so here's hoping for a smooth transition. I'm beyond the point of trying to cut costs, tbh. I tried that several months ago and ended up with three different crappy computers I ended up having to send back (my favorite was the one that BSOD'd right out of the box!) so hopefully I'm going to get what I pay for this time around. Still going to be a while before I'm up and running, though, so... /continues unhappy hiatus and watches lots of movies on TV.

To help:
Join Test & Dev and/or our heRO wiki
Apply to be a GM or mod
Vote and Review

For help:
Submit a support ticket
Check the heRO wiki

[Image: 29bnhpd.jpg]
06-22-2014 05:56 PM
GM-Rahice Offline
The Malevolent Queen Maleficent

That's cool, most people charge around 100 bucks to do the data transfer, so if you're getting it for free and it's around that much more I'd say that you're doing pretty well. Never had an asus though, so I can't give an opinion on that. I hope everything is going to work out well.

[Image: Rahice.gif]
Thank you Ren for the Signature!
06-22-2014 08:26 PM
Story Teller Offline
Passionate Artist

(06-22-2014 08:26 PM)GM-Rahice Wrote:  That's cool, most people charge around 100 bucks to do the data transfer, so if you're getting it for free and it's around that much more I'd say that you're doing pretty well. Never had an asus though, so I can't give an opinion on that. I hope everything is going to work out well.

I was charged 200 bucks once. Life lesson learned: never kick your external hard drive while it's on. (^0_0)^
06-23-2014 09:14 PM