Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Forum demographics
Story Teller Offline
Passionate Artist

Forum demographics

I find it that the usual amount we have online in the forum is up to 10 lurkers and 2 members average.

COME OUT LURKERS! I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE OUT THERE Evil

[Image: tumblr_ny8egaizy41ugfaiio1_500.gif]
09-05-2014 03:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jens Offline
Weird Spider Sir

RE: Forum demographics

I think a lot of people are put off by your excessive new thread posting.

[Image: 4NuAbXh.png]
09-05-2014 04:59 AM
The Legendary Joe Offline
Raging Alt-a-holic

I've always felt it odd to have a forum for an MMORPG where the majority of the community bonding is done in game. I've known many a guildmate who absolutely refused to join the forums, or if they did, they only have 1 or 2 posts at most to their name.

Back in the day, I used to be the same, only really checking the forums because the server was experiencing some downtime. I mean sure there's room for informative stuff like guides, but the majority of my active game playing days' posts were spent in the whining section. After a time, I've began to realize that most of my whines boil down to the same things, and I'd have to start reposting old threads with different words.

RAR! THIS REFINER/SLOTTER/STAT ENCHANTER HATES ME!

RAR! THESE MONSTERS ARE TOO STINGY WITH THE DROPS I WANT!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!! I AM NOT SKILLED ENOUGH FOR PVP/WOE/GENERAL COMPETITVE PLAY AND I NEED TO BLAME SOMEONE/SOMETHING ELSE!

OMBRFHBcyudshabxDYV THIS TASK IS TEDIOUS!

And eventaully "THERE'S NOT ENOUGH WHINE TO GO WITH OUR CHEESE!"

After a certain amount of playing, you kind of learn how the mechanics work and character guides aren't as relevant. Thanks to the wiki, guides on the quests aren't as prevalent (though it's always been kind of against the rules to post it where everyone can see it, the guild sections were almost always littered with guides on what items to farm for Zodiac and the Elemental Wings back in the day).

We have so many more convenient sources of information nowadays, it's kinda driving the forums to the land of the Obsolete. Technical problems aside (which we'd probably be directed towards sending a support ticket instead of opening a forum post), there's really not much reason to come to the forums anymore.

[Image: giphy.gif]
The Oka Compendium
: A glorified record of my alt-a-holic-ism. May or may not be up to date at any given point.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2014 10:40 AM by The Legendary Joe.)
09-05-2014 10:33 AM
Story Teller Offline
Passionate Artist

(09-05-2014 04:59 AM)Jens Wrote:  I think a lot of people are put off by your excessive new thread posting.

<3.

09-05-2014 12:07 PM
retaxis Offline

i think you just got ignored joe Icon_sad... feel for ya bro, that post was deeeep
09-05-2014 01:33 PM
Rei Offline
Mistress Of Twilight

In many ways, Joe is right. Community bonding happens in-game, not on the forums like it does with sites that aren't connected to a game. So, many people don't see the point of posting on the forums.

Forums are also really weird, in that the more active people there are, the more active other people become. Like, since only a couple people are posting, there's nothing for people to comment on, and not much reason to check the forums in the first place.

Characters:
R e i - Stalker
Y u i - Priest
BlackRose - Assasin
[Image: 91artu.png]
[Image: ReiSig.jpg]
09-06-2014 03:34 PM
Story Teller Offline
Passionate Artist

(09-06-2014 03:34 PM)Rei Wrote:  In many ways, Joe is right. Community bonding happens in-game, not on the forums like it does with sites that aren't connected to a game. So, many people don't see the point of posting on the forums.

Forums are also really weird, in that the more active people there are, the more active other people become. Like, since only a couple people are posting, there's nothing for people to comment on, and not much reason to check the forums in the first place.

And that's why I post. I bet those lurkers in the forum are those that quit the game but are actually still in the forum as ghost. :D

09-06-2014 03:49 PM
Menace651 Offline

There used to be a lot of bots and spammers on the forum until we switched over. Forum was announcing like something like 30+ people's birthdays a day but if you went and checked the profiles they were all new accounts. Some of these "lurkers" are probably nothing more than bots or spammers.

Just @who2 Menace ingame. You should find me if I'm on. thanks!
09-07-2014 12:20 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Forums were semi-active around 2007-2010.
The people that liked using the forum a lot have mainly left or gotten banned.

That's the way of the world for you!

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
09-10-2014 01:38 PM