Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help on starting character/monk?
HolyMunk Offline

Help on starting character/monk?

Im starting a charactor that I want to be a monk.??I want it to have good attack and fairly good defense, and yet still be able to do that good skills needed.??Does anyone have suggestions on how to start the points on character creator???Any pointers on beggining skills or tips???Any possitive imput would be greatly appreciated being as im a newer person.??Please don't post other peoples links.

Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2007 03:34 PM by HolyMunk.)
05-23-2007 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
razoredge Offline
Poring Head Knight

RE: Help on starting character/monk?

start with your stats in str, agi, and I want to say dex is the other available but not 100% since I'm not staring at it. Agi builds are usually good for leveling and since you're going to have the spheres that'll help your damage output later.

now a big stickler is when it comes to skills, some people prefer to get lvl 10 on their heal while others will use those stat points towards angelus (vit defense). Personally in your wants, I'd say get heal to like level 5 then max angelus. Gear wise look into getting things like a mocking (whisper card) muffler, ghost bandana, elemental fists (don't necessarily have to be vs or vvs since that's what your spheres act as), any agi + items, preferred to have something hp raising in your armor/shoes (pupa/verit or something of the likes).

I would personally get pneuma and level at firelocks since they are good exp but there are people that prefer leaf cats for monks, then as they get higher they level at TI (turtle island). Another good place people might recommend will be TF (toy factory).

[Image: razbannerow7.gif]
05-23-2007 03:44 PM
HolyMunk Offline

Icon_biggrin thanks for the ideas..if anyone else has any keep um coming..the more the better. 9 str 9 agi 5 dex 5 vit 1 luk 1 int sound good starting?
05-23-2007 03:52 PM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

some people also prefer to abuse the free reset at lv 39... another possibility is to play like an int acolyte with maximum int and heals. Healbomb in payon against zombies and skeletons, then later maybe soldier skeletons and skeleton archer until Lv 39. At that level, reset back to the monk build setup, since reset is still free by then~

Healbombing is almost inevitably faster at those early levels. It's worth considering~

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
05-23-2007 04:03 PM
HolyMunk Offline

Icon_smile thanks for your input Namine. I appreciate it.
05-23-2007 04:05 PM
Rei Offline
Mistress Of Twilight

Those look like good starting stats to me. But remember, Monks are a very very flexible class. Depending on what kind of monk you want, they can play very differently. For instance, TI is mainly for Asura monks since they get Occult Impaction, but if you're a combo Monk, TI would be a horrible place to train since you can't hit a lot with normal attacking. Also, I would suggest getting Pneuma also, it helps a lot, plus it gets you Teleportation and Warp portal which are very helpful no matter what kind of Monk you are.

I agree with Namine, you should definately go straight Int for heal bombing until level 39. Because training a battle aco is very hard.

Characters:
R e i - Stalker
Y u i - Priest
BlackRose - Assasin
[Image: 91artu.png]
[Image: ReiSig.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2007 04:10 PM by Rei.)
05-23-2007 04:08 PM
HolyMunk Offline

TY. I'll keep these posts in mind while playing.
05-23-2007 04:13 PM
Force-Attuned Krogoth Offline
Jack of All Trades

I've never heard the words Angelus and Monk in the same sentence before ...
Anyway, as has been stated, monk is very very versatile. The most important thing to do when building one is plan what skills to use, as they function in very different ways. I'm sure I've made this speech before somewhere else, but too lazy to find it right now. Maybe if you search you can dig it up.

The healbomb/reset thing is definitely worth considering, although battle aco still works. I got my monk to lv 50 aco with an agi build.

Kroggles ensures the living stay living, and the dead stay dead.
Clobberella beats you up.
Teela Brown has a birdie!
Flosshilde communes with the very souls of the damned.
Walsung is actually pretty cool. For a guy made of metal.
05-23-2007 04:31 PM
Namine Offline
Explorer of Wonderland

Monks usually don't have enough skill points to take up angelus... Angelus is really useless if it's not at lv 10, which Monks got no skill points to spare and get it...

Actually, Monks cannot possibly get all of their pre-reg of 10 demon bane and 10 whatever-the-other-pre reg-is-that-priests-don't-need (signum crisis?) along with pneuma/heal/bless/agi. They have to compensate and decide what to do with the buffs since it's impossible for all of them to be maxed, and if pneuma is a worthy investment or not.

Deciding how to distribute the level of buffs, and heal, is probably Mr. HolyMunk's highest level of concern during the acolyte stage for skills...

~ Pyo! (Linker) ~ Pyuu (Sniper) ~ Namine (FS HP) ~ Cessini (Stalker) ~ Meteor Storm (ME HP) ~
05-23-2007 04:37 PM
razoredge Offline
Poring Head Knight

I've heard of many monks having angelus, granted not level 10 but every little bit of defense helps, and in some cases I've heard of them sacrificing a few buff levels to get it. It's a matter of what you want it for he said he wanted defense so that would mean getting angelus, and really angelus at any level helps, it's only a 5% difference per level so level 10 isn't really a "must". A skill I've never really seen with a monk is cure >.> or signum crucis (don't normally see any use it to be honest) but again it's a matter of preference and what you want... you have to work everything you want into a build that only allows 49 skill points. So you have to play give and take =3

[Image: razbannerow7.gif]
05-23-2007 05:09 PM