Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Fairyland Chronicles - Character Side Stories
Yurrechire Offline
Mistress of a 1000 Papercuts

RE: Fairyland Chronicles - Character Side Stories

“Let me tell you a story, daughter of mine-- before the last dragon flees from our skies, and there is nothing left to tell.”

She heard that voice whispering in her ear, sometimes. Especially when the world was sleeping. Or when the last surges of adrenaline fled from her limbs, and the glory of battle dissolved into sweat, and blood-slicked hands grasping the spear, and smell of a fallen enemy’s voided bowels.

For the story was a lie, as were many things in McWren’s life-- merely a thing that a failed knight told his child in moments of self-deception. Of weakness. She saw these for what they were, now, and hated both with a burning passion.

It was a tale of a man who went to slay dragons, and capture the heart of a princess. Of a man who wrestled with trolls, diced with a necromancer, played 100 questions with a coven of witches, and won. He was still alive, this man- a drunken lecher and philanderer, living in the slums and squabbling daily with the much-suffering, ham-fisted woman who became his wife.

Growing up in relative poverty, those tales had been a welcome escape. The first time she rode a bird (awkwardly, falling off even before the loaner began to gallop), she’d been reminded of them in a startlingly visceral manner. For that was what the girl-child wanted to be- the slayer of dragons, destroyer of orcs, rescuer of … (surely, there were princes that needed rescue, on occasion?).

She grew up, wanting to be a hero.

Life thought differently.

Dark Legion was not a choice as much as the default state- Catherine swore her first oath for love, and lived with the bitter consequences of it to this very day. The bureaucracy of the union grated, and the string of increasingly frustrating bosses she’d been serving under, following the fall of Lady Silver, was less than satisfying.

The most recent events did not help- the poorly organized fey rebellion was barely a step up from Melot’s politics and Ciar’s incompetence. She stepped into it for another kind of love: a sisterly one for a boy named Soraya Jasne, who, for reasons unknown, chose to go under the alias of “Ezekiel Stalker”.

The real Soraya had been dead for almost a decade, of course- a casualty in a squabble between two mages of no great consequence. She’d found what was left of his body in the depths of the Glast Heim sewers. Most of it was scattered over some fifty feet of passage. But not his right arm. That fact bothered Cat for almost a minute, before her mind, tired of bending under the magical influence of a necromancer and continuous stream of comrades' deaths, broke entirely.

For that was how such things went.

There were many kinds of insanity in the world- ranging greatly from homicidal axe-wielding maniacs, to drooling imbeciles, encompassing everything in-between. Her madness was a slow and gentle thing, conceived in the darkness an age and a half ago. McWren held it close to the heart without being much aware of it, using it as a shield against the knowledge and acceptance of reality.

“Let me tell you a story..” She murmured to the desert landscape in the present, steering the massive bird down a barely visible track. The camp of gypsies, merely an hour’s ride out-- she’d told Reilinn of it, some days ago. It was time to see what Tyrfing and his current owner left alive. Maybe, pick off the remainder. Cookie needed targets to keep in fighting shape, and McWren simply needed a distraction to keep the sanity at bay.

“A story about a whirlwind that descended upon your camp, wiping out the strong and the weak alike. Spearing children, and making sure that the less desirable elements of the society did not live to procreate further.”

When one could not be a hero, a killer was the next best thing.

Join the Dark Legion today- we've got the best cookies!

Zerk on PRINCIPLE! ™
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2015 04:09 PM by Yurrechire.)
09-21-2015 12:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

OOC: Read Part 1 Here
-----
Ezekiel cleared his throat and went right into it, "There was once a boy. That child had every possession under the sun from food to clothing, to toys and books. His parents told him that he could continue to have everything for a lifetime..." His voice trailed with clear intention. The pause would stick a moment, and then the story continued.

“All he had to do was listen, and let them handle everything. It was an easy request to honor for the boy. Why not? He had everything, and was completely unaware of the suffering of others. But there came a time eventually when his parents make him take on a wife."

Lucretia sat in patience as the man spoke. Ezekiel appreciated it, but did not say anything about it as he kept spinning the tale, "And that boy's reality was shattered. Before, he had everything he
wanted, but the woman who they picked for him...it was someone he did not want. And his own mind began to wonder, what else they'd choose for him he didn't really desire."

“What did the boy do?” Lucretia piped up, eager to know what would occur next in the story.

Ezekiel was glad to answer her, "The boy began to go outside, and found outside his home others who did not live as well as he did. Eventually, he'd try to fit in with them, and learn why they broke rules. They stole for food and money, and all of this done in order to survive. Eventually the day nearly arrived for the boy to marry. But he would not go through with it, how could he? The doors of freedom would be barred shut if he took the arranged fiancee into his arms."

And Lucretia again asked yet another question, "So... Did he run away? Or stab someone for controlling his life before fleeing?"

"He chose to run away. He chose this, knowing that if he stayed, his life would revolve simply around keeping others from even basic living. It would be unsatisfying knowing his life was spent only to keep wealth beyond what anyone ever needed.”

The conclusion drew near now at this point. Ezekiel drew in his breath and finished. “He did succeed because of the skills he learned from those rule breakers who only did what they had to to live. It was the best decision he could ever make, the only one he ever made that never brought him regret."

The fae princess left him with one more question, "And... is the boy truly happy now?"

"Hm, maybe not truly happy, but he found bits and snatches here and there. And has done more with his own hands outside than he ever could in the highest reaches of society." His head turned up to stare at her, and he winked, "He still lives to this day."

Lucretia 's smile turned into laughter. "At least you're free to do what you want!”

"Exactly, it is why I am even here to talk to you today. And that brings me quite a lot of happiness."

At that point, the fae took her turn to tell him of her own side, "I'm glad to hear that. As for myself, I'm not sure if I want to have Fairyland be free of humans anymore." She sighed, looking at the sky for a while. "But I guess that's something I'll find out in due time?"

The man continued to look at her as he pulled away his bangs. Then he gently said "You have plenty of time to figure it all out I think yet. No matter your choice, I believe you'll make the one best for you and everyone."

"I just hope I can live long enough to see Fairyland free from that wretch and rebuilt..." She murmured, heavy heart and all.

Ezekiel sat close enough to hear her, but pondered on how best to reply to her. When he found what he really desired to say he calmly stated, “...I believe it will happen, there are many stories in history, and they never favor zealous bastards like Amdusias."

Her mood brightened from his comment, “Haha, I guess you’re right.”

"I know I am. At least in this case." And he laughed heartily with her.

Ezekiel then gripped the blade that sat on his lap tightly. "Lucretia, I didn't tell you my life story the way I did without reason. I told it because I felt you needed to see why I could understand you, but...but also to see..."

He drew in his breath, "I have seen the world from it's top and it's bottom. And in it all, have never really had anyone accept me for who I am. Flaws and scars, whatever beautiful and witty about me. I could never place my full trust in anyone either. I use to say it was because of my work, but this sword forced me to dig deeper and really understand underneath what it really was.”

The rogue realized he had been glancing downward at the blade as he spoke. He adjusted his gaze to Lucretia then, “Do you wish to know what I found?”

She was speechless, but managed to utter: "What did you find?"

"I found a man who was scared to share even a moment's vulnerability. He feared the possibilities, to be abused, or manipulated, or taken to an awful end."

"And what will you do about this person you found?" Lucretia eyes widened.

The moment had arrived, where Ezekiel would ask the fae he looked at for something he had never asked anyone before. “Hmm, this man would like to offer his full trust to you, along with
what he knows and sees in front of him, and accept all of you." He nodded, pleased that he had gotten this far. "However, that cannot be done without yours in return…”

Lucretia smiled, and nodded back as the man’s voice went soft. "I... I fully trust you, and accept you."

An airship flew overhead towards the Rachel docks. A normal occurrence for anyone to spot during the early afternoon as human and fae sat in their secret enclosure. Both of them looked at it for a moment and then the man spoke as he slid over closer to the winged one, “"That is good to hear, it is nice to have a place of peace with someone."

But Ezekiel didn’t stop there, he leaned over and whispered, “There is one final thing, I owe you that you gave me back in Mystra’s castle awhile back. Do you want to know what it is?"

Lucretia tilted her head and looked at him, "What is it?"

He lightly kissed her cheek just like she had to him in that moment everyone saw how he saved her before. Another whisper followed, "Do you wish to know the real name of the boy in his story?"

She turned two shades of red just like the rogue had then, and she tried to gather her speech, but failed to upon her next reply, "Uhh...uhh...um...sure?"

His whispers continued, "This name must be kept in strict confidence and only used when we are alone together. This is for both of our protection. The name has much power in the world if used at the wrong moment."

"I promise to never speak of it to anyone else." Lucretia managed to nod.

A momentary interval would pass, and then in a hushed tone he provided her with his birth name. "My parents placed much hope in me, and saw their son as a light that would shine for their further fortunes. I failed them there, but will do everything in my power not to fail you or myself."

She chuckled, nudging him lightly. "Hm. I prefer Ezekiel."

He didn’t argue, and returned her a smile, “That’s fine and fair, for that is the name I chose for myself upon reaching the highest ranks of the rogue’s guild.”

With their conversations spent, they each stood and made a quiet trek back to their hidden fortress. The air between them now lighter. Whatever masks they wore to everyone else in the world didn’t matter now, because they knew between them what really hid underneath. Ezekiel knew at least he didn’t need everyone’s acceptance and trust, but now at least got it from someone he wanted it from more than any other in the world.

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
09-21-2015 01:27 PM
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

The paladin was tending to her gear after the biolabs raid in the new fort in the Morroc desert. It was a familiar enough place, just close enough to the Capital of Rune Midgarts, Prontera to reasonably ask the father of her children to bring them to Morroc so she could see them, but also just far enough away that the Associations wouldn't pursue her. She used her thumb to test the blade's sharpness after cleaning it. Vinda was outside terrorizing the local fauna, something her rider did not mind.

“Mmm... I won't need to sharpen this for a bit.” Summerstream murmured, sheathing the sword after one deft slice in the air. Every time she closed her eyes, she could hear the wind whispering through the cracks in the windows and doors. The sound comforted her. For once, after four years, she was able to hear the laughter and carefree attitude the wind always contained. The paladin was happy.

Her mind drifted to the upcoming baited ambush that Queen Pixie had planned. Summerstream knew there would be injuries, and likely people unable to fall asleep after. She bit her lip, and thought back to her past.

“...There shouldn't be any harm in using the meeting I asked Bushido to do with me as an excuse to get some herbs.” She nodded to herself then got to her feet. Over her comfortable clothes, she threw on her muffler, and drew the hood up. “Its about time to go and meet him, anyways.” Smiling with the thought, the paladin clipped her sword on, then grabbed her purse. Summerstream then left as quietly as possible.

Bushido had brought the twins as she had asked. She barely remembered the conversation, but Summerstream was overjoyed to see them again, hugging them both once Freyr woke up from his nap in his father's arms. Tyr, the boy that always seemed more sensitive to the emotions of those around him had asked her to come home. His mother has been unable to think of a lie for the boy, so she told him that she was still helping the dark fae she told them a story about. Tyr didn't stop clinging to Summerstream until his father told the boys it was time to go home. From under the palm tree she chose as the meeting place, she watched the knight leave. With a heavy heart, she went into the Morroc ruins to find what she was looking for: lavander.

The paladin returned to the fort with the fragrant plant to see the woman she knew as Cat blocking the entrance with her arms crossed. Summerstream bit her lip, and stopped.

“...Oh. Uh.” She pushed her glasses up, and blinked at the robed woman who called herself Cat. “Hi.”

“Heya.” The expression was unreadable. “So that is the big, scary secret of disappearing Summerstream? Her getting some kiddie time in?”

Summerstream gritted her teeth. “No... That was... Just this time. I wanted to make sure we had... Sufficient medical supplies.” She managed to say before sighing, and biting her lip. She didn't speak further as the wind picked up in a playful gust, blowing her hair and robe behind her. She saw Cat's gaze shift slightly.

“Ah... Do family visits always include tattoo sessions?” Cat pointed at her own forehead. Summerstream's immediate reaction was to fix her bangs. From being around Lucretia and Cynbel, she had grown more comfortable with leaving the mark that she inherited from her mother uncovered by foundation. Her skin was paler because of the lack of make up, but Summerstream didn't care. It felt good to not have to hide who she was.

“No.” Came the honest reply.

“After your performance during the laboratory fiasco, guess 'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt,” Cat muttered, before waving her in, “Come on then. 've let enough sand in.”

“At least sweep it out! If we have injured I want a clean floor to deal with them on at least!” Summerstream snapped, taking the broom from the corner and tossing it to Cat. She watched with a glare as the cloaked woman set the broom aside non-chalantly after mentioning the that it was below her pay grade. Summerstream scoffed and grabbed the broom to do the sweeping herself.

“Are you expecting any injured?” Was the next question. Summerstream ground her teeth again.

“Of course I'm expecting injured! Remember what we discussed the other night?!” Summerstream watched Cat walk to where she put her muffler and bag down. The relaxing fragrance of the lavender filled the air as the bag was opened. Summerstream didn't comment on what she said about the injured.

“And speaking of the other night- that was some solid shield work, and not a single questionable act to boot! Guess there'll be no need to off your welps, after all.”

Summerstream clenched the broom and rounded on the other woman. “If you touch my children, I will personally send you to Nifleheim as a spirit!” she shouted, her knuckles white. She saw the amused smile of the other, and she gritted her teeth.

“As long as you keep to your word, there is no reason why their petty little existence needs to be disturbed by the likes of me.” Summerstream watched as the robed woman walked away into the shadows. In response, once the other woman left, Summerstream swung the broom at the neat pile of sand, the resulting wind blowing it outside. She then slammed the head onto the ground, and clutched it with white knuckles.

“Don't you dare touch my kids, snake! I'll kill you. I'll fucking kill you!” she screamed, using the wind to keep the sound from echoing deeper into the fort.

Over the week Wingless took to prepare for the planned ambush, Summerstream found herself being followed more and more often by Cat. It was starting to get on her nerves as she went about the tasks she decided to do to make sure things ran smoothly. The night before the ambush, she was glad to see Ezekiel sitting alone. With a small sigh of relief, she sat down nearby and took out a yggdrasil berry, before slicing it over the plate of food she had gotten. She didn't know who made it, and she took a bite of it. It was so dry that she immediately started to cough, causing the stalker near her to look over and ask if she was okay. She murmured she was fine after wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, noticing the streak of blood that was there. Her eyes narrowed at it, and she wiped it off on her pants. She decided she would deal with it later and put aside the plate she had on her lap, before looking over to the stalker. Once she recovered from coughing, she brought up the subject of the brown-robed woman following her around and threatening to kill her children if she wasn't up to the woman's approval. Summerstream watched as Ezekiel's concerned face give way to disappointment. The wind brought to her ears a quiet growl from his throat. His tone was tart and direct when responding to what she brought up. Ezekiel mentioned that she would handle Cathrine's over-protectiveness, which he mentioned that he had no idea why she was in such a way. The pair then resolved to do their best the following night, and left the other to their own devices.

Summerstream waited in a forested clearing with Ezekiel, and a champ who briefly introduced herself as Procyon the following day. Ezekiel said that she was part of Wingless, and Summerstream accepted this fact. It was tense, waiting to see Amdusias walk to where the ambush was to take place. She and Ezekiel spoke little, quite literally only commenting on the weather. The moment the fairy walked into sight, and noticed the paladin and the stalker hiding in the shadows of the trees, chaos followed. Summerstream smiled as she watched the flat footed fairy take a series of punches, acid bottles, blows, and ice spears provided by herself. He stood for barely more than two minutes.

She was still smiling as Amdusias was dragged into the clearing. “...He deserved it.” Summerstream found herself whispering as she played with the fire and wind stones. Summerstream watched Pixie put the dreamstone crown on the unconscious fey. A portal appeared, and everyone entered it.

Some hours later, Summerstream stumbled and landed on her stomach as the traps set off behind her as she ran to the entrance of the dream world belonging to Amdusias. Coughing quietly, the paladin fumbled in her pouch for a Yggdrasil seed to suck on, and put it in her mouth. She breathed out as she felt the Yggdrasil seed she put in her mouth start to work. Her eyes drifted to Lucretia, who was staring out at the grassy planes near Prontera. Summerstream breathed out and walked over to stand just behind her, tapping her gently on the shoulder.

“Are you okay, Lucretia?” Her voice was gentle, and her face revealed concern. She watched the fae princess jump a little before looking over at her.

“I'm fine. At least the truth is revealed now; we had plenty of witnesses.” Lucretia replied before she resumed watching the wind play with the blades of grass. Summerstream took a step forward to stand beside her and closed her eyes to listen to the whispers that were hidden in the gentle swishing.

“Yes, I agree.” Summerstream felt herself nod, and she turned her head to glace sidelong at the fae. “Do you want me to see if your wings are healing okay?”

“No... I'll be fine. Really..~” Lucretia looked down then. “I... just... I feel...” Summerstream saw the hesitation and stood in front of the fae she swore to protect.

“I feel that this is all my fault.” Lucretia finished, looking at the half-fae standing before her. Summerstream weighed her words before she spoke next, looking to a nearby tree. She recalled everything that had been seen. The half-fae then looked directly at Lucretia, and rested both of her hands on the princess's shoulders, and spoke.

“We can fix this, Lucretia.” Summerstream smiled as if she was trying to reassure her own child. “Even if you think it was your fault, we can fix this.” She saw Lucretia glance away. Summerstream softened her gaze, and spoke in a gentle tone.

“Zeke and I were going to sit down once our minds aren't frayed from the combat to talk about everything that we saw today. Do you want to join us?”

“Pixie had wanted to speak to me. I'll see you all later.” Summerstream felt Lucretia draw back slightly.

“Of course. We can wait for you to finish talking to her before we start. Do you want to discuss today's events with us?” Summerstream remained smiling.

“I guess.” Came the reluctant answer from Lucretia. Summerstream nodded, and released Lucretia's shoulders. She put her hand on her chest as Lucretia turned around and started to walk away. Using the wind to increase her speed, Summerstream caught up, and gave Lucretia a hug.

“Go talk with your sister. We will wait for you.”

[Image: .gif]
Test & Dev | Wiki
The taste of our wine is as divine as the stars
Summerstream | Amelia Newman
Ithilethiel | Aquaris Harmoni
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
09-25-2015 02:34 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Amdusias had his wings clipped in his final fight and now laid dead. His underlings Cimeies and Andromallius rotting away in fae prisons. Pixie gave thanks to the ones who fought on her behalf. Lucretia had learned the truth, and her wings regenerated and renewed with new sap from Yggdrasil. The nation's leaders finally stating that Lucretia, Cynbel, Summerstream and Ezekiel Stalker were no longer to remain criminals.

The last of those named stated these things off to himself brusquely in his head. A fitting ending, and the one he anticipated. Ezekiel did not however, anticipate the newfound fervor in the streets. He attempted to hide in shadows after the event, and take a silent stroll outside Prontera’s forests. No matter how he tried to mask his location, another group of citizens seemingly kept finding him and asking questions or making comments of his adventurous exploits. To the rogue, the people should have seen it as his usual work. No matter how he tried to explain, many instead gave him other titles such as hero, rebel, principled, devilish, crazy, and a pioneer . One scholar even called him a womanizer, and that one he tried to argue, but to no avail. He gave up on trying to change anyone’s mind, and knew that as usual, people would come to their own assumptions about him. Actions always speaking louder than words.

He had no time to even consider how recent events affected him and his reputation. Back in Fairy Land, Lucretia made it clear she soon departed with Cynbel and a troop of soldiers to search for new lands and a possible new home for her kind. The Fae Princess’ tone making it noticeable that none of the humans were to come along for the trip. One man already accepted the two of them would need to separate for a time. However, Lucretia would not leave without final words from Ezekiel.

When he saw her, she stood near one of the homey structures in Fairy Land that floated magically in the sky. Her black wings had fully regenerated with the help of Yggdrasil’s sap, and when the sun's rays hit them at the right angle, her wings shined with a shimmery translucence. He did not stand next to her, but closeby, down a rocky step below. His feet shuffled, not due to being uncomfortable speaking to her any longer, but because he knew for even a moment if he approached too closely he would fall back on his words to accept her choice to travel. The man’s gaze shifted to not face her own when he saw her lithe frame.

Then he spoke with gentle care, "Lucretia, I know the past weeks have been hard on you.But there is something you must know, never think yourself as vicious or despicable as Amdusias. There is a difference between you two."

There was a small pause, and Ezekiel only tipped his head upward at to tell the fae princess, "He was unrepentant in his actions."

She thanked him and his companions for their time, protection, and their belief in her. They then spoke of other subjects, a little about the golemancer, about Fairy Land’s current state, but then a subject of what name Lucretia would call herself on her journey came up that brought awe to the rogue.

“On your journey, do you intend to go by your real name? I think taking on an alias isn't unwise. It would help you to hide your identity, and keep you safe from possible other forces that still feel hostile to you..."

She cut him off, "I'll face everything head on. All I did was because of Amdusias -- And my own inability to cope. Both of which have been taken care of. I will proudly say I am Lucretia of Faeheim!"

"Maybe there will come a day I can say something like that," he laughed weakly, "However, that day probably does not come till I retire."

"I hope you can use your real name proudly in the future."

He only had time to blink. Later her words would deserve further dissection. Ezekiel could only note that there definitely sat differences between them, and he still had much to learn before he felt he could stand next to Lucretia and show his affections for her without fear. Understanding that, it didn’t change what his own personal intuition begged him to express of his bond with her.

"Lucretia..." Ezekiel shifted his stance, to stand tall and straight, and gazed straight at her. "I don't know when we'll meet again, whether it is only one month from now, or one hundred years…” He took a deep breath and finished by saying, “But, we will see one another again, and when we do..." He grinned wide, "It'll be as if no time passed at all."

The fae princess nodded her own head slowly in agreement. "We'll meet again. This I promise."

With that, they gave final farewells, she flying away, and he taking silent steps away from her upon the floating expanse. As they went further away, Ezekiel found it easier to continue forward. A new task in his hands to stop the golemancer from bringing harm to not only fae as well, but to fellow humans as well. But in that, there was also so much other work to be done not only for others, but himself as well. There were old acquaintances to visit and let know he lived yet. Someone requested he catch them a new pet, others yet wanted his services to exterminate troublesome beasts. Then more still begged his help in finding materials for medicines. All of this he would do and find himself paid mostly in coin for it. After all, being paid this way was simply the easiest form of exchange, and the one that left the least obligations for later.

He was Ezekiel Stalker for now. But he also had gone by other names. Whenever a soul approached him, it was rarely without a request. Not even the gods came without one. For now, this was enough, but even the man could sense a change in the air. How long could he maintain the privacy he felt privileged to for over half a lifetime now? What would it mean the moment it was shattered? Did he gain or lose his perceived freedom? So many questions without easy answers, and the man only hoped that opportunities presented themselves to reveal answers in his future.

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
10-06-2015 02:52 PM
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

(Total count for words and pages: [x])

The half-fey paladin looked at Amdusias as he fell. He died staring at Ezekiel, and his body vanished shortly after. Summerstream had caught the shield she had used wind magic to throw, and put it back on her arm. Vinda screeched aggressively at the dead fairy.

“Bloody hell. He deserved it.” she had scoffed, then she scanned the crowd that had been fighting the now deceased Amdusias. Towering over most of the group, she saw the eyes of one of the knight captains looking down at the dreamstone infused armour that was left behind. Her increased heart rate slowed, and she smiled faintly. It was over.

She looked to others in the crowd, her eyes staring from behind her glasses, and her wings flapping lightly behind her from relief. Some faces were shocked, others relieved. Summerstream breathed out and turned her back on the crowd to notice Cathrine standing with a pale complexion and a dazed shock showing on her face. She dismounted Vinda, and approached the taller, brown robed woman, and looked up at her.

“Cathrine, are you okay?” she asked, watching as Cathrine shifted her gaze to her. Summerstream saw the grief in the other woman's gaze as clearly as if she had felt it herself.

Cathrine McWren looked down at the fistful of bloody feathers, avoiding the half-fey's knowing stare, "Why is it, that so many victories are bittersweet?"

“It isn't a victory if it is bittersweet, in my opinion.” Summerstream spoke before she looked at the fist of bloody feathers. She froze. “Oh... OH. I-I'm so sorry...” Summerstream stammered, covering her mouth with her gauntlet. She paused for several minutes to search for the right words. It took her a moment to find them.

Summerstream finally said, looking to the sky. “I'm sure you will meet again when it comes to be your time to pass on to the next world.” She put her head over her breastplate , and closed her eyes. It wasn't a prayer, but she was wishing to the wind that Cathrine's fallen ally would find his way back to his rider's side one day. While her eyes were closed, she heard the traveller wander off. She opened her eyes and watched with unspoken sympathy. When she turned around, she saw a young swordsman running towards her.

“Lady Summerstreammm!” He was yelling, then shoved at her an envelope. “For you, from the Captain!”

“The hell? What does Rimino want this time...” Summerstream muttered as she used a dagger to swiftly open the letter that was just shoved at her. When she looked up, the swordsman was running down the street. She scoffed at his quick departure, then read.

“...Oh. That was fast. I still have my job.” Summerstream blinked, and started to make her way to the building that housed the Swordsman Association. As she walked, she pinned the silver leaf that she kept with the entire time in her bag. She felt the wind catch the cape behind her, and throw it in the air. Her wings twitched with pride as she walked.

Summerstream pushed open the door to the office to see the purple haired swordswoman looking outside and drumming her fingers on the desk impaitently.

“You know, I expected at least a small break before you called me. You wanted to see me, Rimino?” Summerstream asked as she stepped inside and closed the door behind her.

“Yeeeeah. Got an assignment for 'ya- and I'd rather not deal with it. Ya dig?” Was the informal response she got from Rimino. Summerstream rubbed the side of her head just above her glasses and closed her eyes.

“Well, I got that much. You saw how everything resolved, so I'm free again.” Summerstream responded as she sat down on the chair.

“Yeah. And it's right back to work. You know, make sure no one looks at too closely and the like?” Rimino winked at the paladin. Summerstream cleared her throat and let her wings twitch in irritation. Rimino put a folder down on the table, and Summerstream took a gauntlet off before she took the folder in hand and opened it. It was a quick study.

“Sending me off to Rachel so I'm away from your sweet little brother? Mmm~ He's really fun~” Summerstream smirked and closed the folder. She saw Rimino's face darken, and Summerstream's smirk turned into a grin in response. Too easy.

“I swear to god Summer.” Rimino growled at Summerstream. “I'm covering for your sorry ass! Don't make me regret that.” Summerstream twitched her wings from amusement, and propped her head up on the table.

“Hehe~ So, why are you picking the unsanctified Paladin to go on this adventure to deal with the freaking priests who are too immature to deal with their own arguments?”

“Oh good! I don't have to even brief you.” Rimino smiled at Summerstream. Summerstream gazed at Rimino boredly before she responded with a sigh.

“Its a lost cause. There is little point in me dealing with it, Rimino.” Summerstream closed one eye, and stared at her with the other before sitting up straight. “Unless you really want to keep me away from your brother.”

“Okay, screw you. You go now, and if I hear you dwaddled, I'm reporting your ass to the church.” Rimino slammed her fist onto the desk. Summerstream chuckled, and gestured in the general direction of the satellite sister city known as Izlude.

“The international port is still destroyed from Amdusias, Rimino.” Summerstream reminded the sword captain with a sly smile. “It will take a week before it is operational again.” Rimino stared at Summerstream and swore under her breath. Summerstream calmly stood up, and moved towards the door with her wings flapping once behind her.

“I'll wait until the repairs are complete, then depart. Even if you report me to the church, I refuse to let them get close to me. We should head out to the bar one day.” Summerstream smiled at Rimino before she departed. With the folder safely tucked under her arm, she put her gauntlet back on.

It was the following day when Summerstream got the chance to speak to Lucretia before she departed to search for a new home. Lucretia had brought them to see the imprisoned Cimeies beforehand. Reilinn had great delight in torturing the fey before she went to speak to Lucretia. For some reason, she was the first one. Summerstream tapped her shield nerviously as she stood beside the Fey princess. She smiled faintly as she noticed that Lucretia's wings were fully grown again. Before she started speaking, she took her shield from her back and rested it on the ground before putting her hands on top of it to hold it in place. She could feel her wings twitching nervously behind her, She took a deep breath in before she started.

“Um... Right.” Summerstream felt Lucretia's curious gaze as she closed her eyes. “I'll be in Rachel in about a week's time, but, if you ever need a shield that you can trust, all you need to do is ask. The oath I swore to you before still stands, and it will until you say so, or until you pass on into the next life.” Summerstream opened her eyes after, and looked at Lucretia, before looking over her shoulder to glare at her twitching wings.

"I appreciate the offer." Lucretia responded, smiling. "I want to thank you for all that you've done for me; the sap, protection, everything."

"It was no problem, really." Summerstream smiled, and her wings twitched behind her, earning another glare. "...I was also wondering... When Faeheim is rebuilt, would it be possible for me to live there? I don't exactly think the humans will want me around, given my er... wings."

"I don't see why they wouldn't want you with so many of them buying our wings every month." She replied, somewhat miffed at the humans. "But you are welcome to live there when we rebuild!” Summerstream chuckled faintly with her response, but she understood the reasoning behind it. Even she had seen the fragments of broken wings scattered around the ironmonger in Prontera's square. Her wings flapped once in irritation at this memory, and recalled how Lucretia had to experience her wings being broken not once, but twice.

“Um.... the last thing was er.... howdoIusemywings.” Summerstream spoke in a rush, and her wings continued to flap unbidden behind her. She was beyond embarrassed for asking this. Lucretia took the time to explain that the wings were like a muscle, and that she didn't really know how to explain it to her. Summerstream understood, and the two spoke with each other for a few minutes as friends. Summerstream even thanked her for asking Cynbel to remove the seal on her, and how she would prevent the church from ever attempting to reseal her natural abilities. Lucretia had laughed in response before encouraging her, and Summerstream smiled warmly. Summerstream felt her insecurities melt away when she was in the company of the misunderstood fey princess. She knew that if the princess called upon her, she would take it on herself to wear her pride on her shield. Summerstream owed her that much.

When Summerstream finally had the chance to talk to Rimino at the bar, she hardly drank, and mulled over some documents that she had received. The handwriting was familiar, and told her of what a certain stalker was planning on doing about a particular golemancer. Of course she would help to the best of her abilities, and made her own mental note to see if she couldn't find anything out for him while she was trying to get the priests to not act like spoiled brats. Rimino was arguing at her about how plums were superior to oranges, which Summerstream countered with a clear head. Summerstream was halfway finished the drink that Rimino had bought for her before she excused herself to go home. Outside, she heard the leaves rustle before a voice sounded behind her.

“Your report?”

Summerstream stopped, and didn't look at the voice. “Everything resolved itself,” Summerstream lied. It was the same lie she had been feeding the shadows over the past month. “Lucretia simply used the humans to further her own goals.” She was surprised at how easily the lie rolled off her tongue.

“I'm surprised they took the bait as much as they did. Prontera also fell under siege?” The Shadow responded. Summerstream gritted her teeth at the familiar voice. She knew exactly who it was.

“Yes.” She responded after collecting her thoughts, but not too quickly, nor too slowly. She didn't want to give away the lie she had worked with Ezekiel to spin. “That was Amdusias wanting to kill Queen Pixie, Princess Lucretia, and Cynbel. I don't know what they plan to do now.” Summerstream put the folder that she held in her hands under her arm.

“We'll expect your written report soon. Rest easy for now. I'm sure it was a long and brutal assignment.”

“Yes.” Summerstream's wings twitched in irritation as she waved behind her and walked home. She sighed in relief once the eyes on her back were gone. The next days until her departure were spent studying various documents and making notes. Summerstream found she hardly had time to open her Edda to read from the scripture.

Summerstream weighed everything that she had learned as she boarded the airship bound for Rachel. She felt as if her shield was slightly heavier than normal, but didn't pay much attention to it. Her mind was focused on what could potentially be causing the priests to to fight amongst themselves.

The airship was over Yuno before the extra weight on her back vanished. Summerstream didn't move to the exit of the airship.

“Mummy, where are we going?”

“...Shit.”

[Image: .gif]
Test & Dev | Wiki
The taste of our wine is as divine as the stars
Summerstream | Amelia Newman
Ithilethiel | Aquaris Harmoni
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 05:51 PM by Summerstream.)
10-06-2015 05:33 PM