Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Sorrow of the Wind
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

Sorrow of the Wind

uncreative title yay?

A collection of stories written to respond to various parts of the heRO Roleplay/Server story. I'll do my best to document where the posts exist on the forums if I have written things in other threads and such, but please don't expect me to dig through all the topics that I've posted in to find these stories. At least, not immediately. I might do it late at night or when I'm bored.

Some of the linked topics contain a number other stories, and in some cases, the ones I've posted build upon the words of someone else, or vice versa. I highly suggest reading through these topics to understand various character motivations.

No promises on length. These could be very short (~600 words), or very long (3k++ words). If you do read through all of the words, I thank you. It really means a lot.

Now, let's get onto the stories!

Fairyland Chronicles [July 2015-October 2015]
<Main Topic> (No seriously, read through all these posts! We go into details that the announcements didn't elaborate on!)

Individual posts | Fairyland Chronicles
<1> | <2> | <3> | <4> | <5>
<6> | <7> | <8> | <9> | <10>
<Finale Response>

Chronicles of Heroes ~ Golemancer Arc [September 2015- April 2016]
<Highland City> (What's been going on with Summerstream ICly, given her presence has been missing for the later bits of the arc. Takes place around the Chinese New Year/ Beginning of Febuary.)
<Finale Response>

Individual posts | Chronicles of Heroes ~ Golemancer Arc
<Kushiel's Trial>

Chronicles of Heroes ~ Unknown Arc [May 2016 - ???]
<Miracle> (Happens roughly a week after Kushiel was defeated)

<1> | <2>

[Image: .gif]
Test & Dev | Wiki
The taste of our wine is as divine as the stars
Summerstream | Amelia Newman
Ithilethiel | Aquaris Harmoni
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2016 01:17 AM by Summerstream.)
03-13-2016 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

Characters

Summerstream Nimina / Xialiu Nimina

Full Name: Xialiu Nimina
Aliases/Nicknames (if any): Summerstream (Translation); Summer
Title(s): Shield of Yggdrasil
Sex: Female
Skin Tone: Pale medium gold
Height: 5'3” (157.5 cm)
Weight: 129 lbs
Build: Mesomorph (Slim and well-built. She's fairly muscular.)
Eyes: Magenta
Hair: Brown, kept long, and held back with a red ribbon.
Clothes Style: When not in armour, she wears manly Chinese-styled dresses and shirts in either red or black. She has a blue dress that she wears for noble functions, a burgandy she wears at home, sleeve length dependant on season, and two black that she wears either while doing errands, or when she feels like it. If she doesn’t wear a dress, she always wears a red or black mandarin collar shirt, black pants, and black flats.
Tattoos, Piercings, Marks, Scars, etc: In the centre of her forehead there is a light green lotus-shaped mark. Her left eyebrow has a scar across it, and there is a scar on the right side of her jaw.
Appearance: [Summer’s too lazy to type this out]
Religion: She follows an old religion based around the worship of the World Tree, Yggdrasil. (It's considered heretical, so she doesn't talk/preach about it~)
Weapons (if any): Her late mother's jian (Preferred. Alternatives are rapiers or side swords), spear, shield.
Occupation(s): Officer of the Swordsman Association; Nobility
Special Abilities/Skills:
Minor/Supportive wind magic: She is able to throw objects with more force than expected, and she can jump higher than expected. Summerstream also channels her magic into her voice to produce a Gospel/ Battle Chant-like spell, although she cannot use this in combat.

Flight: Her wings allow her to fly. Often combined with wind magic for flying over long distances.

Activities/Organizations:
Swordsman Association: Summerstream is employed as an investigations officer, but she also takes on special contracts as requested, much like a mercenary. She also frequently investigates special topics on her own to keep herself busy between cases.

Nimina Family: She’s the successor to the family, and occasionally has visitors relating to matters at her family’s manor. Occasionally, Summerstream is expected to lead small groups into the Royal Tomb to check on the seals that keep the creatures inside at bay, and attend events where she is required to represent her family.

Interests:
Learning: She enjoys learning new things, which has more often than not resulted in her getting into awkward situations.
Swords: She wouldn’t be a swords woman if she didn’t enjoy looking at and using swords. She still prefers her inherited Jian, though.
Oranges and Bitter melon: Favourite foods~
Reading: The main source from which she learned Common, and one of the things she did as a child to pass time.

Personality and Habits:
Summerstream is cold and dismissive towards strangers or people she doesn’t know well, and is often closed off and distant. She is more warm, open and friendly to people associated towards her, or people she feels some sort of bond with.
She frequently comes off as rude, blunt or abrasive when conversing in Common. When conversing in Chinese, it is easier for her to be more eloquent and well-spoken.
She has trouble leaving someone injured behind, ally or enemy. When asked why she does this, she’ll comment that she imagines her adoptive father nagging at her.
When something important is being discussed, she will often take notes so she can look back on them later. This is due to poor memory from a combination of trauma and lack of sleep.
Summerstream leans towards being a pacifist, and will always look at non-violent methods of dealing with a situation before she will resort to violence.

Serious Problems/Flaws/Addictions/Disorders/Disabilities:
Trust: She finds it extremely hard to trust people who haven’t done something significant towards her. This ends up leaving her getting into a number of bad situations due to wanting to do everything on her own.
PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder): She was almost killed as a child, resulting in vivid memories of the incident. There are a handful of other incidents and events that are stuck in her memory and often frequent her dreams, and in rare cases, her waking moments. When she has an episode, she spaces out until she either snaps, or is removed from the situation causing her to relapse. (Triggers: Unruly crowds, having to lead large groups of people, social situations where someone she doesn’t know is verbally abusive towards her.)
Ochlophobia (Fear of mob-like crowds): Summerstream is fearful of crowds due to PTSD. This means that she won’t actively seek out a position here she is required to lead a large group of people, preferring smaller groups of, at the most, seven members including herself. When forced into a situation where she must lead or deal with a mob, she needs to have someone she trusts beside her.
Nightmare Disorder (Dream Anxiety Disorder): Summerstream has chronic nightmares, most often resulting in a visualization of memories that trigger her PTSD. She appears to have insomnia at times due to a developed fear of sleeping due to the nightmares she experiences, and her memory suffers due to her lack of sleep.

Citizenship: Rune Midgard, Independent Nation of Louyang
Place of Birth: Independent Nation of Louyang
Now lives: Geffen
Lives with: Her little sister Sophie, Sophie’s girlfriend, and her sons, Tyr and Freyr.
Current Relationship Status: “Do you REALLY have to know this?” (She's currently single)
Family:.Her biological parents are deceased. They were murdered when she was a child. All she has that shows that they lived are a picture, and the jian that belonged to her mother.
She was adopted by a pair of doctors who run a small clinic as a baby. They have a child named Sophie, who is roughly ten years younger than Summer is.
She has two twin sons, Tyr and Freyr, aged six. (September 23)

Other Biographical Remarks:
Summerstream grew up as an orphan that was taken in by a family of doctors. She was severely injured as a child by a group of boys that were older than her because of her bizarre eye colour, and was threatened with her life if she was seen outside after that day. Since this time, she sheltered herself inside, refusing to go out. Her adoptive parents taught her how to sing, and how to heal wounds with medicine. The next time she went outside alone, four months later, Summerstream was nearly beaten to death as a child, and ended up in a coma for two months. Fearing for her life, Summerstream ran away from home at ten, and ended up stumbling into a swordsman, who took pity on her and brought her home, teaching her a mix of hand-to-hand combat, swordsmanship, and spearwork. Summerstream remained here until she was nineteen, when she left to travel to Rune Midgard to join the Swordsman Association she heard so much about.

She took the time to learn Common from a book about Yggdrasil, going so far as to commit the tome to memory to learn the language. In Rune Midgard, she joined the Swordsman Association and was put on a team with a swordsman that she has worked with on a number of cases since then. She had just turned twenty when the pair and their boss went out for drinks, and ended up sleeping with him. The following year, she gave birth to twins that she named Tyr, and Freyr while on a visit to Louyang, and remainded there for some time to raise them. Eight months later, she returned to Rune Midgard to join the Geffen Church as a Paladin. She had a panic attack at her baptism, and ended up attacking the priests attending to the ceremony. Instead of being baptized, her wind magic was sealed. This seal was later broken by War Chief Cynbel.

A month after being sealed by the Church, she was critically injured taking a hook sword to the gut while protecting a man. She came to three months later in a strange land, being tended to by strange people who spoke a language she didn’t understand. It was later that she learned that she woke up in a Ninja village, and that she had protected the lord of the clan. Once she recovered, she ended up marrying the lord, and returned to Louyang to tend to her children. In exchange for being allowed to leave the ninja village, she was to help the members of the ninja clan get away with a number of crimes without any evidence connecting them to the crime, or else she was to be killed. Summerstream, if asked about this, will state that she’s not proud of the things that she was forced to do. She continued with these activities until Princess Lucretia attacked Payon.

The freedom that she experienced while assisting Lucretia gave her the strength and will to start to break away from the ninja clan.

Connections: [This needs a massive update and will be left mostly empty for now]
People she trusts or feels some sort of positive bond with: Ezekiel Stalker (Fazil) Reilinn, Sophie Meiling, Risette Van Helsing, Princess Lucretia, War Chief Cynbel

Test & Dev | Wiki
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2016 10:38 AM by Summerstream.)
03-13-2016 07:20 AM
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

Highland City

Her wings ached, and her back muscles burned. “Pfaaaa... I made it...” Summerstream groaned as she flopped down on the docks just south of the Highland City, Louyang. She watched enchanted mounts of sand move about their idle business as she sat on the snow covered docks, listening to the ocean gently lapping at shore nearby. It was pleasantly cold compared to Moscovia, especially when all she was wearing included a simple lined pair of pants, and a long-sleeved shirt she took the time to make room for her wings in at the back. A cloak covered her body, the opening of which was presently behind her so that her wings had been able to flap unimpeded. She untied the leather strap that bound the cloak in front of her and readjusted the thick garment so the opening was over her front. She winced as her wings were flattened to her back.

Before she had left the frigid city of Mosvocia, she had enough sense to leave Ezekiel a note telling him that she was going to be going to Louyang for the Chinese New Year. What she didn't mention, was that it had been almost four years since she last spent the new year with anyone other than her kids. She sighed wistfully at the memories and looked to the sky.

Bless that ships had to rely on the wind, while she could make her own wind. Only thing that was lacking was her stamina to keep flying all the way to the city on her own power. She had Tyfing to thank for that with, the cursed blade constantly chasing her around Ezekiel's home. Even with wind magic helping her to stay above the ocean, she was beat. Summerstream looked out at the ocean and blew a strand of hair out of her face as she leaned back. Even if she had been seen by her former clan when she used magic to shift her size to her regular one from her tiny hiding form, it would take them a while to reach the city. With any luck they would have assumed that she had fell into the oce--

“And to think all you had to do was ask me for help! I could even deal with those pesky ninjas for you! Now look at you-- You're all sweaty.”

“GAH!” Her focus slipped and she jumped, causing her to land on her back. Not that it was a bad thing-- The cold snow did wonders for her aching muscles. She had almost forgotten about the persistent voice. The half-fey grit her teeth and watched the clouds roll by overhead. Summerstream sighed quietly.

“Can't you find someone else to annoy? Please?” She made her mental voice sound irritated. Summerstream listened to him laugh and forced herself to get up from the ground and brush snow off of her body. She had to get moving. After brushing off the snow, she pulled up the hood of her cloak.

“Why would I find someone else when you're just so enjoyable! After all, you are my little daisy now~”

“Go away then.” Summerstream groaned in response. This was going to be a long week, not even counting the time it took for her to arrive. She started to walk up the hill to the walled city and muttered random Chinese phrases under her breath to refresh her memory of her first language. She was already getting a headache.

The Highland City was the same as it was almost half a year ago. Overpopulated, crowded, and most importantly, achingly familiar. It was only about a week before the Chinese New Year was about to happen, and she already spotted people from the corner of her eye starting to string red lanterns in preparation for hanging. She smiled warmly at them, and continued on her way, cursing as people brushed up against her folded wings. Habitually, she drew the hood of her cloak so it covered most of her face, and fixed the position of her glasses. The last thing she needed was someone recognizing her from when Amdusias was threatening Rune-Midgarts. She shook her head and passed through the eastern gates and peered out at the forest. She blew a strand of hair out of her face and tucked it behind her ear.

“I suppose this is the real test to see if I was spotted.” She mumbled in Chinese before she took a step onto the forest path and lowered her hood before she walked for several meters.. Summerstream gazed around the area and listened to the absent wind. Confident that there was no one watching her, she sighed with relief, and picked up her pace, taking care not to wear herself out more than she was already.

“Hum, all it is is a bunch of trees~ What does my little daisy have to be afraid of?” She heard the male voice speak again. Summerstream gritted her teeth.

“The trees will hide more than you think.” Was the half-muttered Chinese response.

“What did my little daisy say? I didn't understand you.” The male voice sounded confused. Summerstream smiled triumphantly and started humming contently. She always did enjoy using the wind to throw her voice further than it could ever reach on it's own. With the crunching of the snow underfoot, she found the day to be quite nice.

“Fine! I'll see how many languages I know, then!” She heard the male voice start to talk in a number of languages. Due to the voice being in her head, she was forced to listen to it, but she didn't let it bother her too much. Instead, she focused on humming gently into the wind. Soon, she saw the gates of a village in the distance. Closing her eyes, she breathed out, and walked left into the brush and kept a hand out in front of her. Her outstretched hand brushed several trunks before her hand finally rested on a smooth surface. She turned right and walked with her eyes still closed.

“Little daisy, are you there?” He asked.

Summerstream did her best to ignore the voice as she walked in willing blindness. Left and right, stepping around trees. She only opened her eyes when she felt the wind pick up the cloak she wore. She was at an old trading path that was still in use with hard packed snow where the wagon's wheels made their daily tracks. A smile touched her face as she walked towards a small house that was off to the side of the road. She had hardly passed through the fence gate while lowering her hood before Summerstream noticed something from the corner of her eye. Being unsure as to what, she rooted her foot in the ground and jumped out of the way, turning in the air to face the direction of which she saw the object. She was greeted with a man straightening up and sheathing a sword. It was an average man, appearing to be in his sixties with salt and pepper hair, and a dark brown lotus-shaped mark in the center of his forehead.

“And I thought I taught you better! Where's your sword?” The man demanded, “And where have you been the past five years! Last I saw you was with your mug plastered in the drawl they call a newspaper! Surprised you became one of those damn church-goers! Your mother was a knight!” He swung his finger at the half-fey as he spoke. Summerstream chuckled a little and smiled tiredly.

“You still get right to the point. I'm sorry, Teacher, I lost it a couple months ago.” Summerstream responded, putting a fist into her palm, and bowing forward slightly. “Please forgive me. I was too busy to take the time to travel out this far.” She straightened up and looked tiredly at her teacher. He sighed and waved at her.

“Come in. You look dead on your feet girl. I suppose your reaction time has improved since we last met.” Teacher said, and opened the door for her. Summerstream didn't argue and entered the small home. She removed her cloak and hung it up before she sat down in one of the chairs.

“Heh. You really are your mother's child. Only difference was, she had enough sense to hide her wings.”

Summerstream heard the sound of water being poured. “Teacher, I'm twenty-six. Do you really need to lecture me?” She complained as he set a cup of tea down near her.

“You never listen even when I do lecture you, girl! And don't think your age matters much; I'm only in my hundreds!” She heard in Chinese as her teacher sat down in his chair near her. “But, that is another trait you got from your mother. So tell me, what happened to make you decide to come visit.”

Summerstream wrapped her fingers around the warm cup and sighed. “A few things I suppose...” She responded with half-closed eyes. “But one of those things has been plastered all over the news recently.”

“You mean that insane Human playing with forces that don't belong to him?”

“If you wish to put it so bluntly, yes. That is one of the reasons I came. He's gone missing and no one has found him.” She took a sip of her tea once her fingers were sufficiently warmed. “Given where the village is, it's possible he ran out this way.” Summerstream rubbed the back of her neck with her hand before she looked up at her teacher.

“I understand your concern. I haven't seen the buffoon pass by here, if that is of any comfort to you.” Summerstream watched her teacher through her glasses.

“It is of little comfort. I'd rather check for myself.” She closed her eyes and drank from her cup. The warm, bitter liquid felt nice going down. Very nice. “I appreciate you trying to dispel my worries though, Teacher.”

“Why are you still talking in this alien language?”

Summerstream gritted her teeth and stood once her cup was empty. “I'll stop by on my way back, but I really should make it to the village before night falls, even if I'm exhausted.” She watched the man she called Teacher nod. “I'll come by this way when I'm leaving. I still remember the promise we had to spar.” Summerstream saw him smile, and she turned away to grab her cloak. Once the cloak was secured, she calmly walked out into the twilight and started to walk on the trade route to the village.

The twilight darkened further into the night as the half-fey tiredly walked under the wooden gate of the village where she grew up. The night was still as she walked, and even Summerstream realized that the wind too was unmoving. Her breath formed heavy clouds in the air as she looked over her shoulder. She could see the lights of Louyang in the distance. Her movements were slow as she stretched and turned to face the interior of the village.

Even with the faint light of the waning moon, she could barely make out the darkened village. Dark shapes loomed before her, and it took her several minutes to get her bearings. There were shadows cast by dimly lit windows, mostly illuminated by candlelight. She racked her memory to try to remember.

“So how long are you going to stand there little daisy? Pick one!”

Summerstream gritted her teeth again. The voice's nickname was starting to get to her.

The last time she had been here was before she had joined the Church. The half-fey tried her hardest to avoid visiting once her kids had been born, and after her injury. Her eyes narrowed, and she took a cautious step forward, letting her eyes jump from shadow to shadow, and from light to light. The lack of wind frightened her more than the shadows. No one would recognize her with the hood of her cloak drawn, she told herself quietly in the familiar tongue she spoke to her teacher with. A single two-storied house cast light from the windows that was brighter than the others. It was not too large, nor was it too small, but most importantly it was accessible. There was no ledge to step up or down from, nor was there litter scattered in front of the home.

Summerstream let her eyes brighten as a smile crept on her face. She drew her hood back a little, and approached the door before hesitating with a raised fist. With a sharp breath drawn in, she knocked three times. A muffled voice sounded from within followed by running feet. Summerstream stepped back as the door flew open, and she was face to face with a young teenager.

“Hello-!-Oh my god-- SIISSS!!” The girl leaped at Summerstream without so much of a warning and hugged her firmly around the waist. Summerstream barely managed to avoid being pushed with the force, and she grunted as the arm struck her hard in the stomach. She barely suppressed a pained yell to a grunt.

“You're alive..!” The girl was staring up at her face with large gold-toned eyes. Summerstream started coughing shortly after. She did not have the stamina remaining to hide it anymore. The girl let go and jumped back.

“Oh no... Sis, are you okay?!”

“....Earl.” Summerstream croaked as she sunk to her knees in her fit of coughing.

“What did this girl do to you?!” The male voice roared in her mind.

She heard the girl's footfalls disappear inside yelling as she knelt in front of the door coughing. Summerstream could feel exhaustion creeping into her bones. The last thing she remembered seeing was spots of blood scattered on the snow from her coughing, and the last thing that Summerstream heard was heavy footfalls on the wood floor just beyond the open door.

Warmth greeted her when Summerstream opened her eyes and slowly became aware of her blurry surroundings. Everything was shaped painfully familiar as she pushed herself off the pillows she was leaned against to find an arm preventing her from sitting herself up fully.

“Wha-..?” Summerstream croaked quietly, looking to where the figure was.

“Rest, Summ-Summ. Earl cut you open to figure out why you were coughing blood.” A familiar older female voice responded. “You've been gone for so long and return to us with such an injury... What have you been through my child?”

Summerstream blinked at the figure, before her eyes widened a little. “Okay, I won't sit up.” she responded, and let herself relax. The voice was enough to tell her where she was. “At least give me my glasses, please Em.” She felt the metal frame brush her fingers, and she took them and opened the bars before putting them on. The room was the same room that she had called her own during her childhood.

“Wait a second, you said Earl... cut me open?” Summerstream instinctively looked under the covers that had been drawn over her breast. Sure enough, she saw fresh bandages wrapped around her abdomen and torso. She groaned, and put a hand on her forehead to push her bangs up, much to the protest of her sore muscles. This was exactly what she wanted to avoid from happening when she was imprisoned by the ninja clan that were now her enemies.

“Yes, he did. How did you come across injuries so fearsome? Earl said that someone with an injury like that should be dead.” Em whispered before looking down. Summerstream adjusted how she laid a little so she wasn't sliding down, and looked Em, before looking down at her hands. “You've been gone for five years, Summerstream. You stop coming during the new year, then the next thing we hear of you is that you're wanted for treason for helping a dark fairy! Then you're pardoned by the king, write a letter to a trial, and then you turn up on our doorstep in the dead of the night coughing up blood because Sophie hit your stomach! So what the hell happened to you?!” Summerstream rubbed her temple as Em scolded her in the familiar language she grew up with.

“Um...” It was all Summerstream could manage to say as she looked at Em's face that was framed with straight hair. While the woman's tone was angry, her yellow-toned eyes wide, lowered and knitted eyebrows and her trembling hands all told a different story. Her eyes averted from the woman's face, and she looked to the foot of the bed with a heavy sigh. “I'm sorry, Em, wait, no.. You're not just Em, you're my adoptive mother.” She paused and closed her eyes partially.

“Everything got so complicated that I really had no time to come visit.” Summerstream admitted in a quiet voice, and shook her head, disagreeing with herself. She heard her stomach growl. “I'm sorry Em, but can I tell you and Earl after I've had something to eat? I was flying and hiking almost non-stop yesterday.” Summerstream risked a glance to her adoptive mother. She saw Em's eyes soften.

“Of course. Earl said it would be a bad idea to give you something solid. He put some sort of paste inside the cut he made before sealing it up. He said something along the lines that it might help.” Em replied as she stood up and released the hand she had been holding. Summerstream rested her released hand gingerly on her stomach and nodded.

“Do you know what he used?” Summerstream felt she had to ask the question.

“He said something about a mixture of red and yellow herbs, with some liquid from Yggdrasil berries.” Em replied as she exited the room.

“Yggdrasil berries?” She said numbly and laid her head on the pillow to look at the ceiling. Summerstream chuckled to herself and sighed quietly. “Well if nothing else it will heal the cut faster, I guess.”

“My little daisy awakens!” She ground her teeth together. So much for a peaceful resting period. “You could always ask for my help with your little injury problem you know.”

Summerstream clenched her hands.

“And maybe I could deal with that pesky little girl too! Just like those nin-

“Leave me alone..!! Get out of my head and GO AWAY..!” Summerstream screamed, pulling her knees up to curl into a small ball and grabbed the sides of her head. She was tired of hearing his voice constantly hearing his voice. Summerstream took her glasses off to begin to cry into her hands. Mercifully, she sensed the presence go away.

After what felt to be a few minutes later, Summerstream felt a pressure on the bed. Then, she felt something moving her hands away from her face. Without her glasses it was a blurry patch of red colour.

“Sis... You're going to reopen the stomach wound.” She heard the little girl speak calmly. “Relax. I'll sit with you until mummy gets back. Your hands are shaking.” Summerstream let the girl gently push her knees down as she wiped her own face with the blanket. “Who was bothering you, sis?”

“Sophie...” Summerstream squeaked and hugged her sister close to her chest. “I... um, it... was nothing.” Sophie wrestled herself out of the half-fey's grip with care.

“If it was nothing, Sis, you wouldn't have screamed. Nor would you have started sobbing like that. This is really bothering you, isn't? It's scaring you. Why don't you just tell me?” Sophie put Summerstream's glasses back on her sister's face, and held her shoulders. Summerstream looked up at Sophie's face with parted lips, then closed her eyes and shook her head. She heard the younger girl sigh.

“Okay, I'll tell daddy then.” Sophie said in response, the girl's eyes partially closed. “Something's wrong. I know it. But, if you don't tell us- if you don't tell anyone, no one will be able to help you.”

Summerstream opened her mouth partially, but instead of speaking, let out a breath of air and lowered her shoulders. “I don't want you to be hurt. Because of the demons and shadows that follow me, Sophie.”

“Psh! Demons are easy to deal with! I signed up to the church, remember?~” Sophie laughed and patted her sister on the shoulder. Summerstream breathed out through her nose slowly and closed her eyes. “I think you're the best sister I could ask for! You're so brave, going and defying the kingdom to be proved right in the end! No one else but the best sister in the whole world could do that, even if there are demons following her! Those demons make her strong!” Sophie clapped her hands together excitedly. “Oh I almost forgot! I'll be right back!”

“Wha--?” Summerstream hardly spoke before she watched Sophie excitedly dash from the room. She leaned back on the pillows and looked at her hands.

“The demons make me stronger, huh?” Summerstream whispered slowly, before rubbing her head. “...Sure doesn't feel like it.” She had only now noticed the dull pain from her stomach, and moved the covers so she could check on the bandages carefully wrapped around her abdomen for any reopening in her injury. With an irritated sigh in finding there was nothing opening up, she laid against the pillows behind her again, and replaced the blankets over her breast. Sophie returned after, cheerfully carrying a book and sword in her arms.

“I'm back sis~” Sophie practically skipped over and handed her the book. “...This is yours, isn't it sis?” Summerstream took the book and set it in her lap and looked at the cover. Her eyes widened. “It is yours! I knew it~” Summerstream listened to her sister giggle as she opened the cover to check if her photographs were still there. They were, thankfully. Sophie set the sword in her sister's lap, and clasped her hands together proudly. Summerstream glanced at the sword, and at the photographs in her hand. A cold chill went through her spine.

“Sophie.” Summerstream's voice sounded firmly, “Where did you get these?” Sophie blinked and looked at her older sister.

“Um someone-” Sophie started to say as Summerstream put the photographs back on the title page of the book.

“WHO was it? WHAT did they look like?!” Summerstream demanded as she closed the book and turned her gaze to her sister and grabbed her shirt. She must have had a scary look on her face, as she saw Sophie's expression change from one that housed pride to alarmed. Summerstream flinched and let her sister go.

“T-they didn't give me a name.” Sophie took a step back, unused to the ferocity of her sister. “B-but they had pink hair. I think they were a merchant. Why?” She was stammering as she spoke, her eyes wide as she tried to remember.

“Oh no.” Summerstream muttered before looking at the book again. “No. No, no...” She clenched her hands and looked at her sister once more. Her voice was shaking after she swallowed, but retained its firmness and urgency. “Sophie, when you were coming here, were you followed?”

“I-I don't know, Sis. If I was, I didn't see anyone.” Sophie looked away. “...Sis? What's wrong? You... have a scary look on your face.” The younger girl took a step forward cautiously as Summerstream took the sword in her hands.

“It isn't something you need to worry about.” Summerstream's voice sounded as she partially unsheathed the blade. “This is not... It is not your fight.” She put the sword back into the scabbard fully and closed her eyes. Her knuckles on the sword were white. Sophie looked at her sister, and both women jumped slightly when Em opened the door with a tray. Summerstream roughly swallowed and set the old sword down beside her.

“Is... Everything okay?” Em asked, looking between the two women.

“Yes. I'm fine.” Summerstream said with a quiet sigh. Sophie muttered something about having to talk to daddy before she left the room in a hurry. Em watched her daughter with patient eyes, before walking over and setting the bed tray over Summerstream's lap.

“It isn't bitter melon, but this should do?” Em asked. There was a cup of tea, a bowl of smooth rice pudding and an orange. Summerstream smiled a little at what was on the tray.

“Yes, it's fine, Em. Thank you...” Summerstream smiled a little, and picked up the spoon. The pudding was smooth enough that it felt like she was eating a soup instead. Once the pudding was finished, Summerstream held the orange in her hand and stared at it for a while, before putting it back down on the tray.

“Hm? Is something wrong, Summerstream? I remember you loved oranges.” Em asked before sitting on the bed. Summerstream just shook her head.

“No. Nothing is wrong. I just won't be able to eat the orange.” Summerstream responded before putting a hand on her stomach. Em nodded, and took the tray after Summerstream took the cup of tea in her hands.

“I understand my child. Do not fret about it. If there's anyone who can find a way to heal your injuries, it's Earl.” Em reassured Summerstream with a smile. “I'll go get him. He's worried about you in his own way.” She ruffled Summerstream's hair a little then left the room with the tray. Alone, the half-fey wrapped her hands around the cup of tea and watched the steam rise from the light yellow-green water. She heaved a great sigh before she took a sip. Her body still ached from the previous day.

“Maybe flying here from Alberta was a little too ambitious.” Summerstream murmured, her breath disturbing the steam as she let the lip of the cup rest on her chin. “But it was a visit that was too long overdue. I couldn't risk being attacked on a boat." She bit her lip. The steam was only disturbed by her breathing as she sat in silence. She had to figure out what to tell the two people who took her in when no one else cared enough to give her what she needed. Now that she was alone in the truest sense, she could actually run through her thoughts clearly without fear of someone listening in.

Her eyes were half closed when she heard the door open again, and the tea had become like warm. Summerstream looked up from the tea, and over to the door. In the doorway, she saw a well-built man wearing a priest's gown. He smiled at her and walked over.

“You're awake, huh squirt?” He patted her on the head roughly and pulled up a chair. “You gave us quite the scare, you know. It's certainly not every day my daughter comes running into my office scaring me half to death saying someone's coughing up blood on the doorstep.” Summerstream set the cup of tea on the nightstand. Behind the priest, she could see Em standing in the doorway.

“Well maybe if you didn't cut me open I wouldn't have been asleep for so long.” Summerstream retorted and huffed. She heard him chuckle and pat her on the head, more gently this time.

“Again, you worried me. When I saw the scar on your stomach, I thought something was wrong inside.” The priest responded, and pulled her into a hug. Summerstream returned it with the hand and arm that wasn't holding the cup of tea. “It is good to have you back home safe, though, squirt. We missed ya.”

Summerstream couldn't help but smile a little. “I missed you too, Earl.” she replied in a whisper. “If you don't mind, I'm really sore from flying from Alberta yesterday.”

“Why the hell did you fly here? Would have been perfectly fine to just take a boat!” Earl asked, laying Summerstream back on the pillows. She closed her eyes and sighed. When she opened her eyes, she saw Em sitting herself on the foot of the bed.

“It's... It's a long story. A lot has happened.” Summerstream started, closing her eyes again. Both of them were staring at her expectantly. She breathed in before beginning to speak.

“I, er, stopped coming because I, got er, pregnant.” Summerstream felt herself starting to blush. “I actually went to Louyang to give birth to them- twins- Tyr and Freyr. Their father is um... One of the commanders of the Swordsman Association. They're four, now.” A warm smile was on her face as she thought of them. “After their birth, I decided to join the church as a Paladin, but, during the ceremony...” Her expression darkened. “During the ceremony, I couldn't... discern what was the past, and what was the present. I freaked out and injured most of the priests. I was knocked out, and I woke up with my wind magic sealed. After the ceremony I had planned to come visit, but, I couldn't bring myself to face you.” Summerstream closed her eyes and sighed. She hesitated.

“Keep going.” Em encouraged, putting a hand on Summerstream's leg. “We won't judge.”

Summerstream nodded. “A few months after the ceremony, I was in the forest near Geffen. Something flew past me, and I looked in the direction it came from. I saw two men locked in combat. One was in a white robe, the other...” She bit her lip, and let out a bit of air. She closed her eyes before continuing. “The other person was a ninja. I didn't think, I just acted. When I saw the white robed man draw his hooked sword back, I ran in with my sword and shield out. The sword caught the shield, and sliced into my stomach. The block was ineffective. As he twisted the blade inside me I drove my sword into his chest with what strength I could manage and he collapsed backwards, taking the sword from my weakening grip. The last thing I remember is collapsing from the weight of my armor.” She opened her eyes and saw Em covering her mouth with her hand with wide eyes. Earl was nodding, and he looked at his adoptive daughter kindly. Summerstream closed her eyes again and sighed.

“It explains the scope of the internal injury. Your stomach, intestines, reproductive system.” Earl sighed. “I'm thankful you were at least blessed with two children before this happened. Your parents would have been proud of you if they heard what you did. I'd like to meet your sons one day before I kick the bucket.” Earl patted her on the shoulder. Summerstream held his hand there for an extended moment as she breathed out in a long sigh.

“Maybe. I'll have to live to show them where the village is.” Summerstream whispered, and opened her eyes again. “I woke up in the village of the ninja clan. The man had brought me there after I saved his life. It was strange, but they helped me get my strength back. I learned I had saved their clan's leader-- Their lord. They were grateful, I think.” Her eyes narrowed. “But, you know me.”

Em nodded, seeming to have recovered. “You wanted to learn what they did too, didn't you?” she asked. Summerstream nodded in response.

“Yes. So even though the lord reminded me in appearance of those boys from before... I had to become one of theirs to learn. Once I was recovered enough, the ceremony was held, but, Something prevented me from laying with him, and it wasn't fear.” Summerstream swallowed. “My cycles weren't coming. I knew that he wanted an heir from me.” She saw Earl nodding out of the corner of her eye as she adjusted her glasses. “I knew that I wouldn't be able to provide what he needed; I had realized it too late. So, instead of staying there, I asked permission to return to what I was doing with the Association. I could help keep his people out of the prisons if it came down to it. I said that I would submit reports as often as I could. That was the only way I was able to leave that village after what I did.” She folded her hands gingerly over her stomach and fell silent for a moment.

“I knew that it was either I marry, or I reveal Tyr and Freyr's existence to them. Not... wanting to force one of them down this path, I decided to take the fall so that they might live their own path... As taught by the old priests that tended Yggdrasil.” Summerstream gazed out the window. “And now, you know what happened with Princess Lucretia from the newspapers.” She closed her eyes.

“The papers didn't explain how you interacted with her though, Summerstream...” Em noted, and looked at her daughter. “Plus you've clearly lost the seal from the church that you mentioned.” Summerstream looked back over at her adoptive mother.

“Plus, you still haven't explained what you meant by 'if you live'.” Earl added, and crossed his arms. Summerstream winced, and she looked to the bookcase.

“Oh. Right. Um.” She scratched her jaw as she searched for words. “Lucretia... I treated her with respect and understanding. I gave her an oath for my shield, which she accepted. She asked Cynbel to remove the seal from me, too.” Summerstream summarized, and hesitated. She had no idea when the presence would return. She remembered listening to Rise getting choked. Summerstream shook her head sightly.

“As for... being alive, er.” Summerstream closed her eyes and took a deep breath in. “I was stupid and told a demon my name. In order to get away from the ninjas a few months ago, I had to rely on him to guide one of the people I had met when I was helping Lucretia to where I was with Tyr.” She breathed out the remainder of the air and stopped. Nothing happened. With a quiet sigh, she opened her eyes. “It was... A lake of blood by the time they finished. The ninjas had kidnapped me from where I was staying in Rachel and took Tyr too. Tyr was with me when my friends came.” Summerstream closed her eyes again. “Because of this the ninjas wan-”

The sound of fading running footsteps made Summerstream stop mid-sentence. She looked towards the door. “Oh no... How much did they hear?”

Em stood and looked at her husband and adoptive daughter. “I don't know. I'll go check.” She declared as she exited from the room in a hurry. Earl looked at Summerstream and patted her on the head and ruffled her hair.

“She'll find them, don't worry squirt~” he coaxed. “Was that everything?”

“It was.” Summerstream nodded once and fixed her hair. “Um, Em said that you put a Yggdrasil salve inside the wound?”

“That I did. Listen, Summerstream,” Earl moved to sit beside her on the bed and put both his hands on her shoulders. “We both know what will heal your wound, don't we?” Summerstream flinched. “Then, why don't you? Sophie had gotten the berries herself. Its a powerful healer, but the berries and seeds alone won't heal you. You're one of the closest people to Yggdrasil, Summerstream.”

Summerstream looked down. “Because... Because it doesn't feel right. Yggdrasil is sacred, and its wounded, too. I can't bring myself to draw the sap for my own selfish reasons.” Earl looked at her, then nodded. “I would only draw the sap to stop a war. Or try to stop one.”

Earl shook his head and released her shoulders. “What do you think hurts Yggdrasil more, having to consume the berries of the tree for the rest of your life, or taking some of the sap for yourself once? Think about it,” He smiled at Summerstream, “When the berries decay, they return to the ground where Yggdrasil's roots are. The tree takes the nutrients from these berries to grow stronger. So, what do you think hurts the tree you strive to protect more, Summerstream?” He patted her hands and stood.

“You are the only one that can make that decision, squirt. As for everything else, you know where we are if you need help. Don't forget that Em and I were once adventurers too.”

Summerstream closed her eyes partially and looked away. “I'll... Try to remember that, Earl.”

“I know this is hard on ya squirt. Em and I believe in you, and Sophie thinks you're a hero. You definitely aren't alone. Take the time to recover, and I'm sorry for slicing you open to check and be sure you're alright. You should be fine to get out of bed in the morning.” Earl ruffled her hair again before he walked out of the room.

Summerstream held where Earl had rested his hand before with both hands, and a faint warm smile on her face.

“I don't deserve this family I have. Yet, I have it.” She whispered as her wings twitched behind her. Summerstream picked up the book that Sophie returned to her, and opened it to read from the text until she fell asleep.

“A-ah!” Summerstream jerked herself awake some time later and looked at her lap. The heavy tome was still open, but it was too dark in the room for her to see the text properly.There was just enough light that let her see edges of the book. Shaking her head, she adjusted her glasses on her face before she closed the book and set it aside. The door to her room was slightly open, carrying soft voices and light into the otherwise pitch black room. Summerstream faintly recalled hearing a familiar song as she slept, shifting herself to sit on the edge of the bed with her feet touching the wooden floor. Behind her, she stretched her wings and grunted at the muscles that still screamed in protest. “Ow. I suppose they're still cramped.” She whispered as she took a deep breath in and stood up with a hand on her stomach. She stumbled as she tried to take a step, and did her best to use the bed behind her to cushion her fall. It helped her to go down gently, at least.

“Ughn. That's why Earl told me to rest.” Summerstream glared at her feet, and sighed. “No worse than having to relearn having to walk, I guess.” She muttered under her breath, then got back to her feet using the bed, then sat on it again. After repositioning her glasses, she looked around the room for a shape that looked like it would be useful. Summerstream looked at the shape of her sword laying as she had left it on the bed. “Better than nothing. It'll have to do.” She grasped the sheathed sword in her hand and judged its length before putting the end of the scabbard on the wood floor.

“All I have to do... is get to the wall.” She set her goal before she used the sword to help her to her feet. Using the blade as a crutch, she made her way to the door, and held onto the wall. A smile crossed Summerstream's face as she pushed open the door and stepped into the hallway. The voices were stronger, and on the shadow of the wall, she could make out Em sitting at a table with a cup in her hands.

“Why are they still awake?” Summerstream put her hand on the wall before leaning heavily onto her hand before making her way to the shadows of Em slowly. The Chinese being spoken became easier to hear the closer she became.

“But... ... now.” She could hear Em saying.

“... ... Fine.” Earl responded, and Summerstream saw his shadow join Em's at the table. Summerstream was getting feeling back into her legs, so she decided to move faster. Her own concern was threatening to join.

“Earl, Sophie's never been out this long.”

“Without the light of the moon, it is hopeless to look. What's more, the clouds are covering it. What little light we would have had to look by, is gone. And we both know how dangerous the forest is at night.” Earl's shadow patted what looked to be Em's hands. Summerstream stopped and pressed her back to the wall to listen silently.

“Even more reason to wonder where she is, Earl.” Em's voice was cracking, “She knows just how dangerous the forest is!”

“She isn't without her defenses, Em. We saw to this, remember?” Earl coaxed. Summerstream put her hand on her heart.

“What are they saying?” Summerstream jumped slightly at the voice in her mind. She did her best to ignore what he was saying to focus on the conversation of her foster parents.

“I'm just... I'm so worried about her, Earl! It was like this when Summerstream ran off, too.” Summerstream bit her lip. Em sounded close to tears, and she felt the same when she fled the village? She shook her head to focus on what was being said.

“And look at how the squirt turned out, Em.” Earl laughed.

“Earl, this isn't something to laugh at!” Em's voice cracked again. Summerstream clenched her free hand in a fist and stood straight. Using the wall as support, she stepped out of the hallway, causing the floorboard to screech as she moved. Both of her foster parents looked in her direction as she breathed in before speaking.

“Maybe she had to shelter for the night?” Summerstream suggested, looking from Em and Earl. Even she was unable to keep her voice from shaking. Summerstream swallowed once as she closed her eyes. A chair moved, and she felt something take most of her weight and guide her to one of the chairs at the table.

“I thought you were asleep Summ-Summ... Did we wake you?” Em asked as Summerstream opened her eyes. She shook her head. “I heard you groaning in your sleep so I came in to sing that song you always said helped.”

“No, I woke up on my own.” Summerstream smiled a little, “Thank you for coming in to sing, Em. It still helps.” She lowered her eyes as Earl sat back down and looked at her.

“I thought I told you to rest, damnit.” Earl sighed irritably and clenched his hands. Summerstream raised her gaze to look at him.

“You did, and I'm sorry for getting out of bed,” Summerstream sighed and clasped her hands together, and clenched them as she looked back down at them. “Your voices were just loud enough for me to hear. I ... decided to get up to come see what was going on.” She released her hands and looked back up.

“If... If Sophie isn't back by the time the festival starts tomorrow, I'll go out and look for her.” Summerstream declared, reaching for Em's hand. “I'll find her and bring her back.” Em met her gaze for the first time, her eyes red and puffy. Summerstream stared into Em's yellow eyes for a moment before she smiled reassuringly.

“I will protect my family.”

Summerstream was unsure if she was saying this to reassure her own worries, or to give Em something to hold onto. Something flickered in Em's eyes. Hope, perhaps? Fear? It was hard to tell.

“Little daisy, I can help you protect them. All you have to do is ask~” She heard the voice as Earl was helping her walk back to bed. The sentence she had left hanging in the air was the only thing she had said in the Common tongue in the past couple days.

“I will do this with my own power.” Summerstream scolded the presence as she laid back down.

“But, when will your own power not be enough, Little Daisy?” Was the response she heard as Earl patted her head to coax her to sleep.

She opened her eyes in the morning to one of quiet. Summerstream was doing the small tasks that Sophie would have done for her parents. Sun high came and there was still no sign of her little sister. Summerstream noted that Em was getting more worried over the course of the day. She bit her lip, and approached her adoptive mother.

“Em, I'll go out and start looking.” Summerstream offered, softening her gaze. She saw Em look up at her with wide eyes.

“Y-you will? O-okay.” Em responded, playing with the fringe of her shirt. Summerstream nodded in response and Em stopped and hugged her.

“Thank you. C-come home safe.” Summerstream could feel Em's hands shaking.

“I won't return until I find her.” Summerstream took Em's hands. “You have my promise.” Summerstream released Em's hands and turned on her heels with twitching wings.

She ran upstairs to get her sword and a torch before putting her cloak on and exiting the home. With a soft sigh, she looked around the village first. It was the best place to start. It was the middle of the afternoon by the time Summerstream finished searching inside the walls of the village to no avail. Summerstream sighed irritably as she made her way to the village gates, ignoring the stares she was getting. Once outside of the village, Summerstream looked to the nearby forest and started to walk into the bush. The snow was packed firm, and she started to run.

“Sophie? Where are you?!” Summerstream shouted, cupping her hands around her mouth, “Sophie?!”

Her heart thundered in her chest as she ran, yelling into the trees as a familiar wind gusted to carry her voice deep into the dark forest.

“Damnit.”

She stopped for a moment to catch her breath and look over her shoulder. She could see the dusk light behind her fading fast. “I'm running out of time.” Summerstream turned away from the direction of the light and continued running. When darkness finally reached the depths of the silent forest, Summerstream took out the torch she brought with her and lit it. As light illuminated her surroundings, she looked behind her to see if she had missed anything. Some of the ground had felt different as she ran over the fallen logs and snow-covered branches. There was a single, lone set of unfrozen footprints crossing her own tracks in the snow that were deeper than the ones that Summerstream herself had put down.

“Aha.” Summerstream smiled as she breathed out in relief. She crouched down at the tracks to check the direction, then rose and followed them after checking that her sword was still on the belt. Underneath her cloak, she could feel her wings twitching angrily. Summerstream clenched her free hand and breathed in before letting it out in a long, gradual release and repeated this several times as she hurried along the deeper tracks. She felt her wings stop twitching as she saw a light in the distance and ground her teeth. Moving quickly, she made her way through the forest towards the distant light. It was flickering in the silent forest.

She was surprised when she stepped out into the clearing. It was mostly empty except for a lone bundle of fabric on the far side of the fire half buried in the snow, and the fire itself. Summerstream walked around the fire to crouch beside the bundle and fiddle with the ties as her heart beat in her throat. Dark red hair greeted her as she pulled open the bundle of fabric. Her eyes widened as she pulled at the fabric to reveal her sister's sleeping face.

“Sophie...” Summerstream whispered as she got to her feet. Something flew by her head as she took a step back. Summerstream turned around to face a woman stepping out of he shroud of darkness.

“Ho~ Your reflexes are better than I thought~” Came the cold voice. Summerstream tiled her head, and noted that the accent was from the Payon area. She didn't respond, but watched and observed the woman as she moved her hand to her sword. “Not that it matters~ Orders are orders after all... And some of us are better at following them than others.”

Summerstream bit her lip and drew her sword. “Reveal yourself.” She ordered, pointing the blade at the woman.

“Oh, but my sweet, sweet former Lady.. I already am revealed~” The woman pulled back her hood to reveal bright pink hair, and ears covered by slim angel ears. “Tsk, tsk... Pointing a weapon at me~ Did I not give your sweet, dear sister your things to return to you?~”

“Yuriko.” Summerstream growled and glowered at the younger woman. “Why are you bringing my family into this?”

The robed woman standing on the other side of the fire laughed. “Because, my sweet former lady!~ He wants your blood scattered on the snow. He wants to see you suffer!~ For that we will even attack your friends and family.” Yuriko laughed, and put the tip of a knife on her bottom lip. “Of course he wants you dead too...” The pink haired woman smiled, then threw the knife she was holding at Summerstream. She swatted it away with her sword this time, sending it into the fire. The fire hungrily reached for the leather grip and started to eat away at it.

“I'll kill you, Summerstream. I'll kill you like you and your friends killed the Morikage. No one will recognize you once I am through!” Yuriko shouted as she removed her cloak and jumped at Summerstream with only her assassin cross uniform on, “And then I will kill your beloved sister!”

Summerstream barely had enough time to discard her torch before blocking Yuriko with her sword. She grit her teeth as she pushed the other woman away. Fighting was much easier without her shield.

The fire caused the tempered steel of both her sword, and Yuriko's katars to shine in the night. Summerstream focused more on Yuriko's movements and her own blocking over attacking the assassin. She had to do it if she wanted to live through this encounter. Blood splattered the snow as the katars bit into her skin.

At one point, the pair broke apart. Summerstream was breathing hard, and she had both hands on her sword, which she pointed at Yuriko. Blood seeped from her wounds and trickled down her arms and chest. Yuriko flicked the blood of the half fey off her katars into the snow in a wide arc and grinned crookedly. Summerstream's sword grip was slippery from her blood.

“Why?” Summerstream asked as she narrowed her eyes as she leaped forward. Yuriko easily caught the blade on her katars.

“Like I said. Orders.” Yuriko responded, sounding bored. She tilted her head and jumped back before bringing her deadly blades back up. Then pink-haired assassin charged at the injured half-fey.

The pair continued fighting as the fire became embers. It continued until Summerstream tripped over her discarded torch that was laying near the dying embers, and fell backwards into the snow, leaving red streaks that joined the splatters from the wounds she sustained. She saw Yuriko smile as she towered over her. Summerstream closed her eyes.

Summerstream knew the Morikage hated her. She knew the man that had claimed her as his wife hated her. She was pretty damn good at burning bridges, now that she took the time to think about it. She waited for Yuriko to strike her, but it never came. Footsteps sounded in the opposite direction. Summerstream opened her eyes and sat up. She was on the side of the clearing that she had entered from, and Yuriko was standing over the bundle that had hidden Sophie, applying something from a small red bottle onto her katar blades before crouching down to place one of the blades against the sleeping girl's throat. Summerstream's gaze widened before it hardened and she crawled to her left and edged closer.

“Don't you dare!!” Summerstream yelled as she vaulted across the clearing to tackle the assassin. Surprised, Yuriko cut the fabric of the bundle as she was pinned to the ground. The assassin tilted her head, then grinned.

Summerstream followed her gaze and immediately got off Yuriko at the sight of blood seeping out from the cut. Yuriko got to her feet quickly tilted her head to watch.

“Sophie? Sophie!!” Summerstream yelled as she pulled her sister out of the cloth. Instead of slicing Sophie's throat, Yuriko ended up slicing down the girl's torso instead. Yuriko started to laugh.

“Hmm~ Hmm~ Perhaps I might let you live a while.” The assassin laughed as she ran off into the trees. Summerstream looked over, but shook her head. She unfastened her cloak and wrapped it around Sophie's body.

“Hold on Sophie, please...” Summerstream retrieved her sword and picked up Sophie and looked overhead to check if she had clear sky access before spreading her wings to fly back to the village. Her adrenaline had melted into fear that gripped her heart. She adjusted Sophie so that she was close to her as she landed running in the middle of the festival. People recognized who she was. At this point, Summerstream didn't care. She ran straight into her family home.

“Em! Earl!! I found Sophie!” Summerstream yelled. Earl practically jumped down the stairs to look at Summerstream, with her bloody arms, a cut across her cheek, and with Sophie in her arms. He took Sophie from Summerstream's arms and ran off down the hall. Em came down second and pulled Summerstream into a side room to treat her own wounds.

“I couldn't...” Summerstream whispered. “I couldn't protect her...”

“That doesn't matter. You found Sophie, and you brought her home. Earl can fix her.” Em coaxed as she drew a cloth over the crisscrossing cuts on Summerstream's arms. The half-fey hissed quietly and jerked back in reaction. Em gripped Summerstream's wrist and continued to wash the wounds before bandaging them. She then did the same to the other arm before cleaning the wound on Summerstream's cheek.

“She still ended up hurt.” Summerstream protested once Em finished treating her injuries.

“And what if she had died? What would you have done then, Summerstream?” Em countered. Summerstream opened her mouth to respond, but closed it after making a quiet squeak. Her shoulders fell as Em rested her hands on the half-fey's shoulders.

“Come on. I'll sing you the lullaby you like. You look exhausted.” Em coaxed and gently pulled Summerstream to her feet.

“Y-yeah. Sleep sounds... good.” Summerstream whispered as she stood. She let Em bring her upstairs gently with a hand on the small of her back.

Her dreams were of the fight with Yuriko and, the only difference being that her sister was killed in front of her.

Summerstream sat bolt upright in the dead of night, breathing hard. She looked around the dark room as she fumbled for her glasses. She was alone. Her arms and legs dully ached as she moved to stand, and shook her head slightly. Then she remembered her dream of Sophie dying. The memory sent her running lightly down the hall, and down the stairs, and down the hall on the first floor. She stopped at the door and swallowed, before putting her hand on the doorknob and opening the door.

There was a candle burning in the brazier in the room, illuminating the medium-sized room with a warm yellow-orange light. There were various tools and salves on the table to Summerstream's right, including an open white box that held bandages and a small pair of scissors. She put her hand on her heart, then looked to her left to the bed. She saw her unconscious sister with bare arms on top of blankets and bandages on her torso, mostly on the left side. Summerstream numbly walked over with half-closed eyes, shaking her head with parted lips.

“Sophie...” She whispered, then took her sister's hand. It was hard to tell in the candlelight, but Summerstream noticed Sophie's chest rising and falling rapidly. “Damnit. I'm such an idiot...” She brought the hand to her forehead as she put her elbows on the bed. “...I should have stayed between her and you... I shouldn't have let her get the advantage of my positioning...” She started to sob quietly, and she clenched Sophie's hand in her own.

“Please... Please wake up...” Summerstream begged in a feeble whisper, clenching her teeth after. “Please... Don't die...” She felt a warm hand rest on her shaking shoulder after some time of sobbing. Summerstream looked over her shoulder to see Earl standing there.

“She's battling the poison that was on the weapon right now. If she can get over that, then she's in the clear.” Earl said, and clenched Summerstream's shoulder. “Damn poison. I haven't seen anything like it before.” Summerstream clenched her teeth and looked to Sophie. She parted her lips, but no words sounded. She closed her mouth and lowered her gaze and closed her eyes tightly. Her hands were shaking when she felt her glasses being removed and warm arms around her, and a warm, soft presence to her right. Summerstream instinctively turned towards it and started to cry. Behind her, Summerstream's wings trembled.

“Shh... Its not your fault. I know you did what you could.” Earl whispered, while gently stroking the back of Summerstream's head. “I instead fear what would have happened if you were any later bringing her home...” He tightened his hug as Summerstream turned her head to press her ear to Earl's chest. He looked down at her and softened his gaze and started to rock the grown woman back and forth as if she was a little girl and continued to stroke her head.

“It's not your fault Summ-Summ. It's in the hands of the Gods, now.” Earl closed his eyes. “The best we can do is pray.” He opened his eyes when he felt Summerstream's sobbing become quiet. While she was still crying, her eyes were half-open and staring at the foot of the bed. They sat in silence until dawn light was starting to filter in the room, overtaking the faint, ghostly white light that had been filling the room for some time.

“...Come on. I'll make you some tea.” Earl whispered, “The sun is saying hello now.”

“That... sounds nice.” Summerstream whispered, finally turning her tear streaked face up. Earl smiled gently and released Summerstream from his hug.

“I'll meet you upstairs.” Earl ruffled her hair and handed her a cloth. Summerstream looked at it, and wiped her face before blowing her nose before putting her glasses back on and standing up. She walked to the door, and put her hand on the door knob before she turned back to the bed and looked at her sister's face.

“Hestia... Please... Don't take my sister from me.” Summerstream whispered quietly before she left the room.

Neither she nor Earl had noticed the candle in the brazier had burnt out during the night.

Test & Dev | Wiki
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
04-23-2016 02:39 PM
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

Chronicle of the Heroes ~ Golemancer Arc Finale

“...Hiya..!”

A flash reflected from the dawn sun on the steel of the blade. The follow through was smooth, and the blade ended parallel to the ground, near the face of Summerstream. She did more swings, the very tip of her sword just skimming the melting snow in Moscovia and leaving thin marks when it did touch. She clenched her blade in her hand and rolled it over the back of her hand to change her grip on the handle before she brought the blade down again. Sweat trickled down her face, and she took a moment to hold the blade in front of her to breathe heavily.

Her muscles hurt, and ached. Her side felt like it was on fire. But still, she kept the blade raised, and she stared at the weight she applied to the blade. Then, she closed her eyes and let the blade lower to the ground as she tilted her head up and opened her eyes to look at the sky above. She noted how the cool wind felt on her face as she relaxed and felt her side. The half-fae paladin had been dismounted in the past from her peco, but every prior time was before she had been injured. Summerstream raised her free left hand into the air over her face, and clenched it into a fist.

“Hum. I'm healing well. A bit fast, but I'm healing.” She muttered, then stretched her neck, and looked at the building nearby. She wondered if Ezekiel was awake. Summerstream shook her head and raised her sword again. “Nah, it's not important. Hell; we've both been through a lot, lately.” She started to go through her personal drills again as her thoughts wandered.

She had been part of the team who ventured into Yggdrasil to stop the Golemancer, Kushiel. They had encountered him as they approached the beginning of the maze through the root-- the part of the path where it was all too easy to get lost. Her grip tightened on her sword as she swung a few times erratically. Then, she breathed in to calm herself down and focus. It was too easy to say that the professor had gone insane. But, the words he had said before his appearance changed troubled her.

“Who could be the one manipulating us all.” She enquired aloud, swinging parallel to the ground once more, and bringing the sword up to the side of her face again with the flat facing the ground. Summerstream held that position for a moment. Before she crouched before pushing off the ground with a combination of wind pressure and her wings to back flip in the air. She landed on one foot and swung her weighted blade up before placing both feet on the ground once more.

“Kushiel seems to think that it was the gods. But, that could have just been the fragment of Ymir's Heart showing him illusions. The fragment he stole was one that was manufactured.... Not the true fragment.” Summerstream muttered as she thrust her weapon forward. “He seemed pretty convinced about it, though.” She narrowed her eyes. She could hear Kushiel's last words clearly in her mind still, and how she responded to him.

“Yggdrasil... Take me...”

“You don't deserve Yggdrasil's mercy.”

Summerstream shook her head again, and narrowed her eyes as she swung her sword before returning to a neutral position. This time, she held the blade with two hands. Her mind drifted to Ezekiel and recalled what he told her about Odin warning him. She stared at the sword point and stood motionless for a while, listening to the sound of the wind, her rapidly beating heart, and her heavy breathing. They had saved Lucretia, but Kushiel had been beyond saving. She shook her head once more and began her two handed drills, her cuts too heavy, and her movements too fast for her current condition. There was a sharp pain from her side, and she hissed, almost dropping her sword. After a few moments to force herself to relax, she resumed only to use less force in her swings. Her side continued pain her, so she stopped swinging her sword around and sat in the snow to catch her breath and clutch her side. She breathed out sharply. Before the fight with Kushiel's Duneyrr-like form, she had taken one of her Yggdrasil seeds out of their pouch on her belt and put it in her mouth. If she did not, being vaulted from her grand peco's back with the scythe that was wielded would have most certainly killed her. She knew this, the fact her deepest injury was there told her as much. Summerstream closed her eyes before she stood to gently stretch.

“I should really be resting, huh, dad?” Summerstream mused with a gentle smile. “From all those stories that Earl told me about what the four of you did though, you'd want me to stay in the best condition possible. Same with mother...” She partially closed her eyes at the thought. Were her long-departed parents proud of what she's accomplished? Proud of what she endured? Summerstream picked up her sword again and removed the weight before she started swinging it around again.

“I wish I at least had the chance to speak to you two before you died.” She twisted her grip and looked at her bandages. She blinked several times before she shook her head and sheathed her sword. “...Right I need to change the bandages.” With a sharp intake of breath the injured paladin walked inside and put her sword down on the couch before she walked off towards the bathroom.

The warm water felt nice once she was sitting down in the tub. She had wiped her body down to clean herself before she actually got into the water out of habit, and stood before a mirror and looked at her body in the reflection. Her body was covered in bruises and scrapes of various sizes, and on her right side was a long, deep wound. Everything else would heal okay, but she was worried about that one wound in particular. It was too close to the disfiguring scar across her stomach that had a neat row of stitching that had healed. Summerstream looked down to her bare feet and closed her eyes to fight back tears.

“If I didn't take that sword, then I would not be in this state... I bet.” She had whispered to the empty room. She turned away from the mirror with half-closed eyes and clenched fists.

Summerstream had been sitting there for a quarter of an hour by now, just letting the warm water soak into her battered body. She sunk down so the water covered her upper lip, and breathed through her nose. The water stung her side, and she grit her teeth against it as she bubbled the water. Carefully, she washed before she got out of the water and patted herself dry with a towel. Then, she redressed her more severe injuries and wrapped herself with the towel she had used.

She stood for a while fiddling with the edge of the towel before she changed. Her hand bumped a small bottle that was tucked safely inside her bag of belongings, and she pulled it out to look at it. It was a translucent gold liquid. Summerstream let her gaze soften as she cradled the bottle in her hands.

“...Do you hate me, Yggdrasil? For taking a little your precious sap- a little of your life- to heal my fragile body...” Summerstream whispered as she watched the air bubbles inside the liquid slowly move, “Do you hate me for being selfish...” She gingerly transferred the bottle to a single hand and kissed the lip of the bottle, before putting it back inside her bag. She gritted her teeth and closed her eyes.

She had taken the sap during the pursuit of Kushiel through the roots of Yggdrasil. If she closed her eyes, she could still hear her adoptive father's words in her mind.

“Listen, Summerstream,” the old battle monk bade her, “We both know what will heal your wound, don't we? Then, why don't you? Sophie had gotten the berries herself. Its a powerful healer, but the berries and seeds alone won't heal you. You're one of the closest people to Yggdrasil, Summerstream.”

“Because... Because it doesn't feel right, Earl. Yggdrasil is sacred, and it's wounded, too. I can't bring myself to draw the sap for my own stupid, selfish reasons. I would only draw the sap to stop a war. Or try to stop one.” Summerstream recalled herself responding.

“What if your injury prevents you from stopping that war?” Earl challenged, and took her hand. “What do you think hurts Yggdrasil more, having to consume the berries of the tree for the rest of your life, or taking some of the sap for yourself once? Think about it; when the berries decay, they return to the ground where Yggdrasil's roots are. The tree takes the nutrients from these berries to grow stronger. So, what do you think hurts the tree you strive to protect more, Summerstream? Taking the berries for you entire life, or consuming a little sap once?”

Earl always asked good questions. He often was the one who opened her eyes to a different perspective. Summerstream opened her eyes and organized her bag better. Her mind wandered again.

“But, that's always like you Earl. You seem to know what I'm always thinking before I do.” She took out her well-loved copy of the Prose Edda and opened it before she removed the old image of four people that had been safely tucked between the pages of the book. Her lip trembled at the sepia toned image, and she swallowed roughly.

“...Em... Earl... Mum... Dad...” Summerstream whimpered, and touched each face as she said their name; a gypsy with a determined and fiery expression, a kind looking bearded champion with bandaged fists, a female lord knight with wings holding her large stomach with one hand and holding a longsword with it's blade towards the ground with the other, and a male lord knight, confident looking with a scar across his face holding a claymore with the flat of the blade on his shoulder. Everyone in the image held a single white lotus flower. She closed her eyes and clenched her free hand by her side. “I'm in mum's belly in this picture.” Summerstream whispered, and she opened her eyes before she tucked the image inside the Prose Edda again. How ironic it was that the book that told her of the legends of the gods, the book that foretold the end of the world, and the book that taught her about Yggdrasil, was the container holding the things the paladin considered precious. She hugged the book to her chest and stood like that for some time, her eyes closed as she listened to her breathing and heartbeat.

“Why does my chest hurt so much? Why can't I look at my reflection in the mirror without crying...”

She opened her eyes partially and put her Edda back into her bag before she stepped outside. Then, she turned her gaze to the heavens and closed her eyes. A stiff wind blew then, and Summerstream staggered slightly, then looked around. She brushed some of her unbound hair out of her face and looked to the snow-covered marble path, then to the sky. Her eyes were wide, and she rubbed her arms.

The wind blew again, taking her hair with it. “The wind makes me feel so... uneasy.” Summerstream whispered, closing her eyes as she rubbed her arms. She turned her gaze to the heavens as she leaned against a wide tree, then shook her head in a futile attempt to clear her thoughts.

“No. I'm just feeling uneasy because Kushiel did something to Yggdrasil. That must be it.” Summerstream concluded, and narrowed her eyes, before closing them fully and sighing heavily. “It has to be...”

She heard a door close nearby, drawing her attention for a moment. “Huh?” Summerstream blinked as she stood in the shelter of the tree.

Had Ezekiel been gone the entire time? It was certainly something that she did not notice until now. The Moscovia house had been quite quiet the past few days, which was nice as it allowed her to recover in peace. But, it had also been difficult to move around on her own for the first days after fighting and defeating Kushiel. Even now, almost a week after the fact, the wound she received to her side was still raw and sore. The first few days had often left her laying down for a large portion of the day because of how much the injury hurt. But, the important fact was that she was healing. She rubbed her side gently, feeling the bandages under her clothes. They were uncomfortable, but there was nothing the paladin could do about it.

A cold wind stirred her from her thoughts, and she shivered, holding her arms after. The wind made her feel uneasy again. Summerstream rubbed the side of her head with her fingers with half-closed eyes before she went back inside, murmuring, “I should be resting.” She closed the door behind her and unfolded the blanket she had been using, and wrapped it around her, before leaning against one of the walls of the room. She breathed out slowly and kept her gaze on the scene beyond the window. Then, her gaze shifted to her bag again, and she walked over to take out the bottle of sap, and sit down on the couch.

What would happen if she were to drink it here? She turned the bottle in her hands and watched the air bubbles rise with a tilted head.

She did not know what would happen to her if she consumed the sap. Summerstream closed her hands around the small bottle, then looked to the Prose Edda, then returned her gaze to her closed hands. Her gaze softened, and she breathed out in a quiet sigh, before she unclasped her hands and rubbed the back of her scarred neck.

“I need to check on Sophie anyways, so why not.” Summerstream murmured quietly. “At least that way if something happens... I'll be... Close to people that I know... And the people who raised me.”

Test & Dev | Wiki
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2016 06:40 PM by Summerstream.)
04-23-2016 02:40 PM
Aaronock Offline
Ethereal Engineer

Recognition - A Hand At Last Accepts the Mantle of Influence

Two men spoke in a closed office of the Rogue’s guild. Mid-morning sun from the beach outside streamed into the stone walls. Within the room stood one of the guild’s masters with another across his varnished oaken desk. There spread amongst the top of the space were leftover berries, bread, and butter. They had been speaking for some time throughout the early hours at this point, nourishing themselves in the meantime.

“…You’ve been through one hell of a trip Master Rogue.” The guild master concluded as he sat into his large leathered seat, recently polished. “Glad to have you represent our guild in such a fantastic manner. No doubt we’ll have clients tearing down the door for our services. The Assassin guild will surely be in quite a tizzy when their revenues sink, and ours rise this year.”

The other fellow across from him still standing did not have the same amusement on his face. Only a day earlier had he fought against the Golemancer toe to toe. His body still bore several of the wounds. Summerstream had done efficient work on him to make sure the marks were cleaned and bandaged. His rogue’s guild outfit covered a majority of the spots around his legs and arms, however, a few wrapped bandages still showed quite visibly around his abdomen. Ezekiel tried to ignore it all and kept his focus on the guild master.

He had finished explaining their attempt to apprehend the criminal. Ezekiel and many allies fought against the creatures of Nyddhoggur and Kushiel’s creations of clay, metal, and wood. When they believed the fight was finished, the Golemancer on bended knee took Ymir’s Heartpiece into his bare hands and uttered a wish, the power to give the world in Hestia’s vision. However, it all went awry, the Golemancer transformed into a monstrous deer-beast of fur and flame. They gave chase, only to find that all other creatures had nearly fled along the trail they tracked. Ezekiel did not give his opinion on several matters such as his own pressing fears where he stood in front of Kushiel’s monstrous form. Each of them trading blows, his from a swift sword hand, and Kushiel’s a mix of melee, summoned dreamstone, and powerful magic. Thankfully others struck blows of their own, and Summerstream used her own skill with the shield to protect him from further harm.

Odin’s request did not really register in Ezekiel’s mind as he dodged blows, forced to take others, and still swing his own blade in response. Instead, it was the thought of others, those close to him that pressed him to action. Reilinn and Summerstream, his closest allies in these times, to Queen Pixie, Arriel, Adelaide, Amaria and of course Princess Lucretia asking him to do what it took to end the Golemancer’s madness.

He pondered upon Kushiel’s words, his visions he shared that mentioned they were manipulated by gods, and soon to face a fate worse than death if they would not take it by his hand. This still hung heavy over him, but to comment on it with no further evidence or clues to speak of seemed like a foolish waste of time.

Instead the still standing figure at last mused, “Of course, did you ever expect me to do less?”

“Actually…” The man gave a heavy pause and pulled out a cigarette from a compartment in the desk. He lit it and placed it into the side of his mouth as he prattled on next, “Nobody thought you would try joining into the top ranks when your arrogant little ass strode in here all those years ago. Despite the attitude, it was still quite a surprise to learn later you were a noble brat. Never pegged yah for that. I bet that rich crazy woman chasing after you fed you some nice helpings of humble pie, whether you want to admit it or not!” The guild master slapped his knees and guffawed loudly at Ezekiel’s expense.

The master rogue’s own opinion had become far more nuanced since his marriage, and then later eventual divorce. He couldn’t argue with the guild master, so he laughed nervously with him, choosing not to admit to the broad shouldered man across him hit a nerve. “So, do you have any more shit you would like to fling at me, or am I clear to leave?”

The guild master pondered the request a moment, letting his cigarette hang, his tone lowered to a near whisper. “Most of our work is done in shadows, never be seen, never get caught. The fewer enemies you make the better. But sometimes, sometimes, circumstance beyond our control puts us into the public eye. You realize you lost the privilege long ago to keep completely within the dark, right?” He drew the cigarette from his lips and blew a large puff of smoke out towards the window. He leaned forward, elbows first, onto the oaken desk. Placing the wrapped piece of nicotine back into his mouth, and crossed his hands under his chin he continued his speech, “I don’t even mean the business with the Fae woman, getting marked a criminal and that terrible sketch of your face all over the Midgard Times. I mean before even that, when that ex of yours found you and gave you them marriage papers. I ain’t saying, stop doing what you’re doing, but, well… you’re a smart guy, you think it through what it means.”

Ezekiel could only turn away and give a nod and mumbling, responded, “Your words are not lost on me, Princess Lucretia impressed upon my very being the importance of the matter, though perhaps in another way at the time.”

“If that is the case, then you are dismissed. Best of luck in all your endeavors, Ezekiel.” Just as the smoking man finished his statement, Ezekiel had already reached the door. The last thing he heard was other man blowing another long puff of smoke towards the window.

With that line of business now complete, Ezekiel relaxed his guard and wandered down the stone halls of their guild’s fortress. The hallways in this particular section were rarely guarded with many, as Ezekiel’s fellow rogue’s were known all too well for their prying eyes and ears. So, strict security was kept from disallowing those without business within several of the higher-up’s offices. As he turned out of that hallway, giving simple hellos to those standing watch, he made another turn, and felt a weight wrapping around his injured waist.

“Well well well, look at you. All beat up and still on the job.” It was a familiar female voice.

Ezekiel winced from the squeeze but managed to greet her. “Yes Katarin, I live. Just finished my report and was about to travel over to Geffen.”

“Really, in your condition? Stay a day here, have a bit of lunch with me, a drink, and perhaps even a little bit more,” she teased and pinched his cheek over her comment regarding ‘a little bit more.’

They had been walking but then he stopped and considered her offer. “I do not have a pressing schedule to be there, but I will only give you two out of three of those options.”

“Ooo, a drink and a little bit more then!” She winked, but her lower lip curled, she already knew she’d face rejection.

“Nice try.” He smiled and removed her arms from his waist. They trotted down their current hallway and began to take the twists and turns that would leave them to the entrance. There they would be able to find a bite to eat, and conversation could commence. They ordered their food from the bar as soon as they were seated. Him a hot bowl of stew and salad, and for her, grilled fish and beans.

As the food arrived Ezekiel took the time to fidget in his stool and tell Katarin something that had been itching at him for some time. “I must say, uh, thanks, for taking the time and helping me brush up my manners.”

“Didn’t think you’d go use those skills to bag girls.” She smiled and poked at her fish.

“Hey now, that is not…”

She laughed, “Don’t fret your little noble bottoms so much, I know it was in the line of work.”

“Can I ask you something?”

The woman blinked, taken aback by the request but prompted her old training partner to speak while she began to nibble on her meal.

“Why do you maintain an alias?”

“What a ridiculous question, didn’t you say it for yourself once? Something along the lines of ‘doing it to protect those who could be put in harm’s way by your actions, good or ill’?”

Ezekiel rocked his body back and forth in the stool, “I did say that at least once. And because I felt that doing so would also push aside a majority of preconceived notions about me. If they really knew who I was, a person born of nobility, that tends to give quite a negative impression.”

Her head rose haughtily as she popped a piece of fish into her mouth, “They’ll have preconceived notions no matter what your name is. Your current name has certain connotations already for example. Do you want me to give you some?”

“No, no, I get the point,” and his head drooped, a futile disagreement was brewing, and he attempted to de-escalate it. “I admit it, I maintained a false name to those of my old life from finding me.” He heard her scoff and stuff another bite of food into her mouth. As for himself, he picked lightly at a potato in the stew, followed by a heavy sigh. “But also it was done to protect myself from others, easier that they not know the real me.”

“Hello, do I know you? When did you become the type to open up so casually?” She flicked the side of his forehead in one swift motion. “Whatever are you planning to do now with Odin’s request finished?”

“Find a way to end life as Ezekiel Stalker of course.” He retorted nonchalantly and began to eat at his food casually as possible, as if no heavy conversation had just taken place.

They both ate in silence at that point. Eventually making small chatter about her next job. It seemed she would be busy for the long haul and this would be the last they’d see of one another for many months to come. He didn’t envy her, instead thanking her a final time for her time with him, to their parting with a handshake and a long hug.

The next day, he left early to visit a certain pompous, “Ethereal Engineer” in the Southwestern corner of Geffen. After several knocks from the rogue, a tall figure opened the door to an amused and cheeky grin. “You live! Wait, of course you live from that final battle, I should never expect less!” The mage then took in his guest’s condition, the smile then instantly turned glum, “Gosh, that Golemancer did a number on you...”

Ezekiel quickly cut him off, “I was worse for wear from Amdusias than my final battle with Kushiel. A, um, ahem…” he cleared his throat, “A friend made certain I got patched up pretty shortly after Kushiel’s death. Can I come in, and uh,” he stopped momentarily to find the proper words, “Please heat up some hot water for tea? Aaronock?”

A small nod came from the lanky man, and motioned the rogue inside. This time, the engineer noted that he had not turned off the security systems within the home, as Ezekiel’s visit was truly unexpected. Down the hallway they tiptoed, making sure to not trigger one of the many deadly magical machinations within the home. Ezekiel as usual pondered the scholar’s paranoia, and what the inventor really held inside the home that required so much insurance to protect it. Eventually, after many careful steps and fiddling of devices by Aaronock, the guest was provided seating arrangements in the living room. Down plopped Ezekiel into the leather long couch, and Aaronock made haste towards the kitchen. They spent their time mildly catching up on one another’s business. Cream, Aaronock’s monster Drops assistant added his own unnecessary comments and jabs at the both of them. Ezekiel told his side with the usual impersonal tone he gave. But Aaronock excitedly told the rogue that he had a prototype ready for an interesting ‘mass dispelling apparatus.’

Becoming animated, Aaronock waved his arm around while downing the tea. “I’m telling you Ezekiel, this could be the breakthrough I’ve been looking for.” He took a short sip and immediately continued, “A grand beginning towards severing the bridge between our world and Muspelheim.” This statement followed with yet another sip from the cup, “And, if all works according to plan, my Bifrost Project is one step closer to being useable again.” He finished with a sigh of relief.

“We already made a bet.” Piped in another voice, it was Cream, Aaronock’s assistant and monster Drops. “If it doesn’t work when field tested, he has to feed me only truly edible goods for a week!” The little orange jello-like creature jiggled with excitement just envisioning only tasty treats being fed to his gelatinous and impervious body for a week.

Ezekiel shrugged to that comment. “I am uncertain why it matters much, you are capable of eventually digesting anything.”

Cream followed up with a pout, “Doesn’t mean it tastes or feels good having it in my system.” That was a point that Ezekiel had not considered, and conceded to the Drops by tossing the creature a piece of candy from his pocket.

Aaronock then joined back in, “For once, the little assistant does not misconstrue and twist the truth. But his desire for my failure for his own gain is a bit crude wouldn’t you agree?” Without giving the rogue or creature any time to respond he inquired casually, “Ezekiel, did you have anything you wished to ask me? That’s why you visit isn’t it?”

“Glad to have you strike right to the heart of the matter.” The rogue wagged a finger at Aaronock. “There are many things I have done in this world for money. Cutting monster populations brings a temporary peace for those who live in the afflicted regions. Gathering supplies for those in need means they have what they need in their own endeavors to serve society. Gods, even bringing certain pompous ‘Ethereal Engineers’ their books they request because they are barred from Yuno – I suppose even that must make some difference.”

Aaronock nodded. “Yes, those are things that have built your reputation over the years, you understand the importance that small actions can turn tides. It so refreshing that you’re not the rowdy rapscallion type so common amongst your fellow guild members.”

Ezekiel frowned as he cupped the drink in his hands against his chin. His eyes peered deeply into the liquid, hoping to find answers inside. “It feels as if the world still turns the same as ever. As I just made mention of, I am not unaware of the actions taken by myself, and their potential effects. But it becomes ever more apparent that my place in the world as Ezekiel Stalker edges ever closer to its end. To live in the world as ‘Fazil Reis’ comes with its own burdens. How much easier it would be to turn away, but doing so would go against everything I have fought for, and the whole reason I left my cozy home in the first place.”

“What exactly do you plan to do then?” This turn in the conversation intrigued the inventor, and his own curiosity grew to know the response his friend would give.

“I thought I could change the world simply by influencing the bottom to rise against corruption. How simple minded, it requires so much more. It needs more than my hands alone to make such differences. My plans hm?” He drew the cup ever closer, now touching the tip of his lower lip. “A mantle of leadership has been placed upon me, but I am still learning how to guide people to their true potential, and to utilize others’ talents in a way that is beneficial for the goals we may share.”

The taller man grinned wide, “Do what it is you’re doing now, and I’m sure it’ll be enough to start. You’ll be an interesting figure in politics if you decide to make a stab forward in that direction.”

“Maybe.” Ezekiel sipped at last from the mug at his lip. “First there are a few personal matters to attend to, but I do desire making a move to repair fae and human relations afterwards.”

“A wonderful start. Before you begin on all that, would you like to play a few rounds of Rummy with me on this lovely day?”

He gave his usual pause before giving any sort of reply to a request, “Fine and fair, whoever wins two out of three buys the other their wine for the evening.”

Aaronock’s ears perked to the bet, “Oh my, oh my, that could get pricy, especially with your tolerance for drink. I must play at my absolute peak, or else find myself quite a couple hundred thousand zeny lighter. You’re on Ezekiel, as soon as I get the deck from under my workbench.”

“I’m rooting for Zeke to win it.” Cream then hopped, “I'll take any opportunity to watch your cocky attitude to be punted down a notch.”

“Gods, you really are a crude little slimeball,” Ezekiel interjected, “But I will take your enthusiasm to heart, for I too desire knocking this pompous jerk down from his high horse.” After the rogue gave his remarks, Aaron breathed through his nose with a cold smile on his face. Standing from his chair, he gave a narrow glare at his assistant. Aaronock then pressed the front half of his boot upon Cream, causing the gelatinous monster to nearly bend under the weight. He was not satisfied with his punishment till his foot shifted across the whole of the little orange Drops. Once he was however, the man then skipped his way towards the workbench, making sure to avoid triggering any dangers within the walls of the apartment to grab the deck of playing cards they always used to play their games together. They then played for a few hours, with Ezekiel laughing at the end as they prepared themselves to visit the bar for the evening, and Aaronock's mouth agape at results.

[Image: OHeya.gif]

*Aaronock ~ *Ezekiel Stalker ~ *Maxwell Maximillion ~ *Fazil Reis ~ *Cecil Vega
04-23-2016 08:12 PM
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

Miracle

“Land-ho!” the sailor in the crow's nest at the top of the mizzenmast of the ship called. Those aboard the ship rushed to the railings to get a glimpse of the land of which they approached. Only a few stayed towards the centre of the seafaring vessel, mostly those of which who were ill from the tossing and turning of the vessel. There were also a few who were uninterested in how close to land they were. One of the few who were towards the centre of the deck was Summerstream, gingerly holding her right side and looking towards the wood, and breathing deeply with her eyes closed. Around the group in the centre of the deck, the ship's crew ran around making preparations for docking.

“Maybe I should have waited a few more days...” she mumbled, then raised her head to look out over the open water. Summerstream squinted her eyes against the sun's reflection. She was leaning against the main mast, the spot picked out after watching how the sailors moved around. Then, she shook her head and knelt down to pick her bag up, and sling it on her right shoulder to rest the bag against her left hip. “No... It's best if I do it now.” Calmly she lowered her hand from her side and walked to an open section of the rails herself to glimpse out at the land. The ship itself was a few hundred meters away from the docks of Louyang still, and even the half-fey considered spreading her wings behind her to get off the god forsaken ship faster. Her wings, half translucent in the sun, twitched behind her in anticipation, but their owner forced them to stop. She looked over her shoulder at the other passengers aboard the vessel. No one was watching. She put her hands on the rail and braced herself. She could feel her wings start to flutter.

“You better not overwork yourself!” Summerstream flinched, and stopped. Her body relaxed, and left hand released the smooth wood, and went back to her injured right side with half closed eyes.

“Trim the sails! Prepare for docking!”

“Aye-aye, Captain!”

Summerstream smiled faintly, and turned her gaze to the sky that was being revealed by the sailors working with the sails to slow down their speed. She pushed her glasses up, and narrowed her eyes partially, then breathed out in a sigh. There was a tugging on her arm, causing Summerstream to turn her head to look down at the face of a young girl. Summerstream breathed in sharply, and bit the inside of her cheek as the girl shuffled her weight uncomfortably.

“U-um hello miss hero...” The girl clutched the doll in her hand close to her chest as her hat flopped lazily in the wind.

By the Tree, I did not think I would be approached on the ferry.

“Yes, what can I do for you?” Summerstream responded, clenching the rail so her voice would stay even. She then crouched down so she was at eye-level with the girl.

Please do not make everyone look this way.

“Umm... I... I want to be a hero too! Just like you! You... you were...” The little girl was shuffling her weight and looking around. Others were beginning to take notice, too. Summerstream looked around, then offered the girl a warm smile.

Act like she is just a girl in Prontera. Act like no one else is watching your every move. Act like you are on duty.

“I've done many things, little one.” She looked over the girl. “But, I don't do it with some natural talent or anything. I've had to work really hard to get where I am now.” Summerstream paused, and looked around at the people closest to her and the little girl. She could hear them whispering about the incidents with Amdusias and Lucretia, and even more recently with Kushiel. “But, the important thing is, is to not give up, no matter who sides against you, or what the cost may be. You can be strong if you put your heart into being a hero, too. You don't have to take up a blade or a staff, or even a bow, to be a hero.” Summerstream knew that the girl could hear those whispers, too.

These people do not know half of what happened. Typical. Whisper all you want, it doesn't make a difference.

“You don't have to fight to be a hero?” The girl asked with wide eyes.

Summerstream's smile softened. “You don't. You only fight if it is absolutely necessary.” Her wings twitched behind her slightly, and she shuffled slightly. She lowered her voice so that only she and the little girl could hear. “Yggdrasil blessed each of us with different gifts and talents. It is up to us to find the best ways to use them.” She saw the girl jump a bit at the change in tone, and she looked into Summerstream's eyes. The half-fey put a finger to her lips, and smiled. She saw the girl nod, and then run off towards her parents. Summerstream stood up as she watched the girl, then looked at her parents with partially closed eyes. The girl was jumping up and down excitedly. Summerstream turned her gaze away and saw that the dock was within meters, and there were crew mates already preparing to jump off the ship to catch the lines to secure the vessel to the deck.

Almost there. Almost off this godforsaken ship.

She heard footsteps behind her, and she turned to have to look up at a man. “I saw you talking with my daughter. She would like to know your name.”

I hate crowds.

Summerstream grit her teeth, and didn't turn to face the man who approached her. “Summerstream.” She replied simply, before stepping away from the railing to wait for the lowering of the gangplank. She breathed a sigh of relief as the other passengers started to do the same. As much as she hated crowds, they were sure nice to hide in. From her bag she took out her cloak and fastened it so that her wings wouldn't be tugged at by the people around her.

The half-fey was more than happy to reach the eastern gate of Louyang an hour later. She could see the bright red hair belonging to her adoptive mother standing near the gate.

“Emmeryn, you didn't have to come out to get me.” Summerstream said, smiling a little, “It's not like I'm unable to defend myself.”

“You're keeping your tone of voice too level, Summ-summ. The heck you do this time?” Emmeryn responded, stepping over to look at the younger woman. “Give me your bag. There's no way in hell I'm letting you carry it if you're injured.”

'I-Its nothing Emm!” Summerstream waved her hands in front of her, then winced. Emmeryn seized the chance to unclip Summerstream's bag from her side and take it. “Emm... Please...”

“I'm carrying your bag for you, and that's final. Come on, it's getting late.” Emmeryn said with a small giggle and hopped outside of the gate. Summerstream shook her head slowly and followed the spirited woman.

“So, what happened this time?” Emmeryn posed the question again as she looked over her shoulder with bright yellow irises.

“I uh... Got dismounted by a demon deer.” Summerstream mumbled. “I'm recovering from the fight with Kushiel still.” She was glad to be speaking in Chinese again.

“Kushiel, hm? I didn't think you would have gone.” Emmeryn started to walk backwards. “What was he like? The newspaper seemed to paint him as a lunatic.” She turned around and hopped lightly over a rock in the wagon path before looking back at Summerstream.

“Emm, he was going to unseal Nyddhog. I had to go. The newspapers were correct with that labelling, at least.” Summerstream sighed irritably, and held her side. Em stopped walking to let her catch up.

“That bad, huh? I'm sure Earl will look over it.” Emmeryn said softly. Summerstream grunted in reply, and the two walked in silence until the walls of the village were within a few hundred meters. The half-fey stood still for a moment to look at the walls, and to catch her breath, before gritting her teeth to catch up to her adoptive mother who waited patiently a few paces ahead. Summerstream glanced at her bag for a moment, then lowered her gaze to the road. She blew for several seconds before she nodded to herself and raised her head.

“How is Sophie doing?” Summerstream asked, partially closing her eyes.

“Sophie? Oh, well she hasn't woken up yet.” Emmeryn noted as they walked towards the house, “But, she did start mumbling in her sleep.” Summerstream's eyes widened, and she simply breathed out. Em looked over her shoulder and smiled as the half-fey put a hand over her heart.

Thank you... Summerstream smiled warmly as she stepped inside the home. Thank you, Yggdrasil. Thank you.

She had closed her eyes to lean against the wall for a moment, before she let out a long, quiet hiss. She put her hand on her side and stood there for several minutes, waiting for the pain to subside. Summerstream opened her eyes when she felt a warm hand on her shoulder.

Maybe I should have stayed for a few more days. Ugh, no matter... It'll be over soon.

“Come on, Summ-summ. Let's get you patched up.” She heard the warm voice of Earl say.

“...Can you get Em to bring my bag?” Summerstream asked quietly. Earl parted his lips for a moment, but nodded as Summerstream stood upright.

“Sure, let's just get you treated first.” Earl responded. Summerstream looked up at him for a moment before he started to guide her to a chair in one of the nearby rooms. Summerstream sat there in silence.

No turning back now. It's for the best..

She heard the footsteps before she opened her eyes. She noted that the room wasn't quite as cold as she thought it was, so she removed her shirt so that the bandages on her torso could be accessed. Summerstream breathed in as deeply as she could, and sighed.

“What did you need from your bag, Summ?” Emmeryn asked as she entered the room, carrying the side bag. Summerstream got to her feet and walked over as Earl entered the room.

“Just one thing.” Summerstream said quietly, and took the vial out from it's hiding place. She looked at the thick translucent gold liquid, then sighed. Emmeryn looked at the vial, then at her husband.

“What... Is that?” She asked, perplexed.

Summerstream hesitated. “Earl knows. But, I figured it would be better to do this here, rather then when I'm alone.” She looked up to Earl and smiled nervously. Earl started to laugh heartily.

“I didn't mean you had to do it! Sheesh, Summ-summ. We don't even know what will happen!”

“Then, this is certainly the moment to find out, isn't it?” Summerstream said calmly, and stepped back with the vial in her hands. Her free hand rested on her stomach for a moment. Emmeryn nodded quietly, understanding.

“When you're ready, then Summ-summ.” Earl nodded.

Summerstream breathed in before she removed the cork from the vial, then breathed out. Then in one motion, she upturned the vial and swallowed the contents.

“Oh gods it's sweet!” Summerstream noted, gagging a little, and holding her mouth until the taste went away. Emmeryn giggled a little, and set the bag to the side.

“How do you feel?” Earl asked, taking a step towards the half-fey.

“...Not much different, honestly.” Summerstream narrowed her eyes a bit. “It's a little strange.” She rubbed her temple for a moment, then looked up at Earl. “Maybe I waited too long?” She took a step forward, and her legs buckled from under her. Earl, who was the closest, caught her and carefully brought her down so she was sitting on his legs before leaning her against his torso.

“...What the hell...?” Summerstream's voice was quiet, and her gaze moved to look at one of her hand that had held the now empty vial. It slipped out from her grip and rolled on the floor. “I-I can't move my fingers.” Earl picked up the vial.

“Summerstream?!” Emmeryn exclaimed, coming closer to her husband and adopted daughter.

“...warm.” Summerstream murmured. “Warm and tired...” She closed her eyes after a few moments. Earl looked at the young woman before he chuckled quietly.

“Well damn. Wasn't expecting that.” Earl said after, lifting Summerstream up. “Em, can you put this in my office please?”

“E-Expecting what?!” Emmeryn was trying not to shout as she took the empty vial. “S-she just collapsed in front of us, a-and that's all you say?”

“Calm down, Em. I mean I wasn't expecting her to react like this to Yggdrasil's sap. I also wasn't expecting her to go through with actually getting the sap...” Earl shook his head. “I'll bring her upstairs then change these bandages.” Emmeryn breathed in deeply, then blew a stray strand of hair out of her face.

“Right... I'll check on the other patients.” Emmeryn said, nodding and leaving the room with uncharacteristically heavy footfalls. Earl sighed, and carried the unconscious half-fey upstairs.

“You're too damn reckless girl.” Earl muttered some time later, and gently closed the door behind him. Summerstream was laying half seated in her bed sleeping peacefully, her head supported by a pillow.

“...Mmmn...?” Summerstream brought her hand to her face before she even opened her eyes. She breathed quietly for a few moments after she felt the pressure of her hand, then opened her eyes to stare at the ceiling overhead.

“...Okay... So I can move...” Summerstream muttered, and extended her arm to reach for the ceiling before rotating her wrist from side to side. She brought her arm back down, and did the same with her other hand.

“...Is it just me, or is my vision a bit clearer...?” she asked, blinking several times after bringing her arm down. She then sat up, and rubbed her eyes of sleep before stretching and shaking her head a little.

“...Can't be.” Summerstream shrugged and put her glasses on, then got out of bed. Then, she walked over to the nearby window and opened it. It was evening. Puzzled, she looked over her shoulder at her bed, then back outside.

“How long was I asleep for..?” She scratched her scalp before she closed her window, blinking at her reflection for a moment. She stiffened, then lightly ran to pull the cover off of a medium mirror that was on her wall. In her reflection, the scar that she had on her jaw was missing.

“W-wha...” Summerstream forced herself to breathe normally before she removed her shirt, and the leather wrap around her neck. Standing topless in front of the mirror, covering her breasts with her arm, her eyes widened. The wound she had received only the previous week was gone. Smaller, less serious cuts and scrapes that had healed also had the scars they left behind gone. Those she didn't mind so much.

Summerstream swallowed roughly, and lifted her hair from her neck with her free hand, and turned her neck before dropping her hair. Immediately, she took a step back and looked at her reflection from her hips up, and saw that the scar that had made its home on her stomach was gone. Her eyes widened, and her breathing caught in her throat.

“E-EARL!!” Summerstream screamed as she stumbled taking a step back. She fell to the ground with a loud thud, and she sat up quickly with her wings quivering behind her. Her gaze was held firm by her reflection in the mirror, which stared back at her with the whites around the iris of her eyes showing.

“W-w... W-What the hell happened...?” Summerstream whispered, breathing rapidly.

Test & Dev | Wiki
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
05-23-2016 05:17 PM
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

Wake-up Call

“Sis..! Wake up!!” The door to the bedroom flew open with a loud bang, causing the familiar half-fae woman who had been snoring peacefully in bed to sit up frantically flailing her arms. She looked around with an unfocused expression before she registered that her bedroom door was open. The red-haired monk stood in the door with hair normally clipped back loose, the hair covering her left eye. One yellow eye stared at the sleepy paladin.

“Wuh... the hell Sophie... It's barely dawn...” Summerstream mumbled, blinking repeatedly. “I wuz having a good dream for once....” She yawned, then rubbed her eyes before reaching for her glasses and putting them on and looking towards the girl standing in the door.

“There's someone downstairs to see you. They said it was important.” Sophie balanced on her heels as her sister came to. She puffed her cheeks impatiently as her sister moved lethargically. The monk also noted that she should get her older sister nightclothes sooner rather than later.

“Better be... ugh... Go put tea on... I'll be down in a few minutes...” Summerstream waved her hand dismissively in the air as she dragged herself out of bed. The monk blinked before blowing the air in her cheeks out and leaving her sister to dress.

“Sorry for waking you up, Summ.” The plum-haired girl spoke as the sleepy paladin stifled a yawn with her hand. Summerstream placed a cup of tea on the table before she flopped down in the adjacent armchair and picked up the cup and took a sip from it.

“Don't worry about it, Rimi. Sophie said it was important... So why the hell did my boss come to my home in Geffen rather than just sending a messenger?” Summerstream sighed as she slouched in the chair, evidently quite comfortable.

“Urgency, and you probably wouldn't be here when the messenger finally arrived. “Plus I got out of the capital! Anyways, have you seen the paper?” Rimino grinned as Summerstream groaned. At the foot of the stairs, the paladin could see her sons peeking out from around the corner. Summerstream sat up and narrowed her eyes at the Sword Captain in front of her.

“Rimino, I just woke up fifteen minutes ago. Do you really think I had the time to look at the newspaper?” Summerstream blinked at the newspaper shoved under her nose. She put her cup down and opened it to see a story circled in red ink, and an envelope with the royal seal on it staring at her. She set the envelope on the table before she leaned back to read, and translate as needed for her sister who had come to stand behind her.

“Can I go check on those two in the ICU?” Sophie asked, leaning down.

“Yeah, sure. I'm not going to stop you.” Summerstream set the paper aside to break the seal on the letter. She removed the parchment and started to read it. “...Rimino, is this some sick joke?”

“A joke? Nahh~” She saw the woman grin. “You've been reassigned at the request of the king~”

Summerstream hung her head and finished reading the letter. “I hate you, you know that, right?” she groaned and leaned back to look at the ceiling with a heavy sigh. “Tyr, Freyr, I want you to go with Rimino for a few days, okay?”

“But I don't like her mummy!” Tyr protested, jumping out of the stairwell.

“Tyr, please. Your aunt and I have something we need to attend to.” Summerstream sighed irritably. “And no, you can't come with us.”

“...Okay mummy.” Tyr hung his head. His brother was grinning happily, but remained quiet.

“Thank you.. I'll bring you a treat when I get back, okay?” Summerstream looked over to her son, who grinned in response. “Be good, and don't get into trouble.” The paladin got up to ruffle her son's hair. She heard Tyr giggle before he ran off, snagging his quiet brother by the arm to return to their room. Summerstream watched them with a tired smile. Sophie excitedly ran past her to go to her room.

“So, if I've been reassigned, you get to babysit for Bushido and I, Rimino.” Summerstream smirked and looked over her shoulder at her boss. “Shouldn't be too hard, right?~”

“That's fine, Summer~” Rimino grinned and stood up. “Well it'll be more interesting than me sitting around doing paper work all day. I think I get the better end of the bargain.”

“As long as I'm getting paid for this.” Summerstream grumbled and stood to the side as the twins ran down the stairs to aggressively hug the Sword Captain.

“You will, you will. Sheesh, do you think I would do such a thing without ensuring you would be paid? I'll take good care of these two.” Summerstream responded with raised eyebrows. The stairs creaked behind her as Rimino lead the twins off and outside of the house. Summerstream followed them and watched them off, waving to Tyr as he looked behind him with a small smile. She remained in the doorway until they were out of sight.

“Do you need anything from Louyang, Sophie?” Summerstream bit her lip.

I hope Tyr and Freyr don't hate me for this...

“No, Sis, I got what I need. I can send a runner to get things for me~” Sophie responded cheerfully as Summerstream stretched and let her wings vibrate behind her. “She was just following orders, right?”

“Yeah, she was. The letter more or less confirmed it.” Summerstream started to walk towards the room where she kept her armor. “I don't like heading into stuff like this blind, so I'm coming in with you. I pray to Yggdrasil that they're both conscious so I can ask them about what they saw...”

“And I'll patch them up as good as new!~” Sophie giggled enthusiastically. “And I'll patch you up if you get hurt, Sis~”

Summerstream put her hand on the door frame belonging to the room where she kept her armor on a stand. “I don't plan on getting hurt, you know. Either way. Let's hurry up and get to Prontera. I'll drop you off, come in and check if those two soldiers are conscious, then go check out what Niflheim is like... I can plan from there how to approach this.” Summerstream smiled at her younger sister before she started to don her armor.

Mystra's castle, hmm? Hard to think that is where Lucretia was almost a year ago. Summerstream couldn't help but smile a little to herself as she clipped her cape into place and fastened her silver leaf in sight.

“Hell or high water, Yggdrasil protect me.”

Test & Dev | Wiki
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2016 01:20 AM by Summerstream.)
06-29-2016 08:20 PM
VietNam90 Offline

RE: Sorrow of the Wind

you really most powerful, what you didnt know
06-30-2016 03:54 AM
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

RE: Sorrow of the Wind

Uh... Thanks? I'm not sure if you realize this is a collection of stories for my own purposes, though...

Test & Dev | Wiki
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
06-30-2016 05:59 PM
Summerstream Offline
Yggdrasil Scholar

Starlight Warrior

It was dusk by the time Summerstream was steering Vinda through the planes near Geffen with her sons sitting in front of her, the half-fae paladin's voice sounding softly on the wind as she spoke. She was recounting the events of the day in Nifleheim to make the long trip seem less boring. Tyr, the brown-haired boy had been excitedly asking his mother questions while Freyr sat quietly leaning against his mother's torso listening to the story of the events that had unfolded.

“Was it scary, mummy?” Freyr asked, looking up at his mother's face with wide eyes.

“Oh yes. But I have no reason to be scared of such things.” Summerstream responded, and patted the boy on the head as she steered Vinda with her knees. She had intentionally left out mention of the voice that called himself Ra. She passively fingered the light green blessed headdress that she wore, and reflected for a few short minutes after pushing her glasses up. Her wings twitched behind her every so often, hindered by the weight of her deep blue cloak.

“What did Rimino teach you two today?” Summerstream asked after a long silence. Freyr's slow, steady breathing told her that the boy was asleep, so she was taking an easier path than she would normally as to not wake him.

“What she normally does... But I don't want to learn the sword. I want to learn what Mister knows.” Tyr recounted, huffing. “And you won't ever teach us how to use weapons!” Summerstream sighed quietly. It certainly wasn't the first time they've had this conversation. She glanced down at the boy, and slowed Vinda to a slow trot, then to a stop. She looked around, then up at the sky.

“Tyr, dismount,” Summerstream told the boy, nudging Vinda to sit. The young boy listened, sliding off the back of the peco. Summerstream got off too, carrying Freyr before she sat him on Vinda's back, leaning him against the bird's neck so he had a spot to sleep. “Come, sit with me.” She unclipped her cloak from her armor, and laid it out on the grass so they had a place to sit. Tyr sat with his knees held to his chest, pouting grumpily. Summerstream sat beside him, and breathed out.

“I've told you this before, Tyr... I'm teaching you in the same way that I was taught when I was younger.” Summerstream pulled her son a bit closer until he was leaning against her torso. She stroked his head gently, and looked to the sky. “I teach you in this way now, so that you have the agility and speed already developed for when you are older.”

“But how do you end fights if all you rely on is speed? You don't move fast in armour!” Tyr retorted, causing Summerstream to laugh softly. She patted the boy on the head before she smiled. Tyr looked up at his mother with a bewildered look on his face.

“If you have to rely on armour to win a fight, you are not a very good warrior, Tyr.” Summerstream breathed out with a gentle smile on her face. “In a real fight, you need to use your wits. It's not all about brute force, you know. And believe me, I did complain about the process too.”

She continued. “My teacher once told me when I complained about wanting to practice with various weapons that the fastest sword does not need to be drawn. There is a way to resolve a vast majority of conflicts without once drawing a sword. “However, if we only rely on learning how to use a sword, it puts us at a disadvantage when we want to deal with a situation without hurting each other.” She saw that Tyr was tilting his head at her when she looked down. Summerstream then pointed at the sky. Tyr looked up.

“Tyr, each one of those stars is said to house a warrior's soul. Each warrior knew how to resolve things with peace. Right now, I am teaching you how to resolve a fight without drawing blood. When the time comes, I will teach you how to use a sword. That time is not now.”

“Okay, Mummy.” Tyr said with a slight nod before he yawned.

“You're tired, hmm? Let's go home... I'm sure Sophie is waiting for us to return.” Summerstream stood up and reattached her cape to her armour as Tyr went back to Vinda. She helped Tyr sit in front of her, then gently pulled Freyr to lean against her cloak that she wore. Her hand gently stroked the hair of her sons as she rode quietly into Geffen and steered towards her home.

Once the twins were tucked into bed, Summerstream wearily settled down on her bed and rubbed her temple. She could feel her head throbbing from earlier in the day. Ignoring her growling stomach, she decided to lay on her stomach and go to sleep.

She could work on the report for the Swordsman Association in the morning.

Test & Dev | Wiki
.Pavan. | Sheena Archer
~Saya~ | +Aurora+
Wine Brewing Society
07-13-2016 01:16 AM